The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whats Up With The Infestation

GENESIS-Foolish

well i play this game for about a year or so and lately i thought to myself where dafuq did they came from whats the story behind it

btw i really think they should do a tv program :D (this game and assassins creed)

They are resources delivery men turned savage...

Sometimes they decide to land on a planet and hand out loads of awesome resources to us.

Pity they only ever land on Jupiter while Im at work... No Neural Sensors for me today.

DE produced a game called "Dark Sector" in 2009 which featured the "technocyte" virus.
This virus is responsible for the infested.

The Tenno are people who survived the virus without degenerating into the infested. The lead character in Dark Sector, a man named Hayden Tenno, is infected by the virus and becomes Excalibur, pretty much.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Infested

Edited by Hamstertron

Infested are fleshy beings that were infected with a virus that mutated them into gross monsters

It was used against the sentient during the Great War but as you can see from the derelicts. . That didn't turn out so hot.

So now the run wild, consuming anything that is flesh (tenno, grineer, corpus, anyone)

DE produced a game called "Dark Sector" in 2009 which featured the "technocyte" virus.

The Tenno are people who survived the virus without degenerating into the infested. The lead character in Dark Sector, a man named Hayden Tenno, is infected by the virus and becomes Excalibur, pretty much.

I don't think he "became" Excalibur, but if I recall, Excalibur was the first Warframe and is modeled after Hayden's suit.

Though I agree that the technocyte virus is common in both games

I wouldn't compare the 2 because it makes people think Dark Sector is the prequel to warframe. . But it's not.

It simply borrows elements from it.

Take this with a grain of salt.  Given how it's confirmed that Warframe's lore is completely different and separate from Dark Sector's lore, the above may be (highly) inaccurate.

In Warframe's lore -- from what I understand -- the Technocyte Virus, and consequently the Infested, was created by the Orokin in their war with the Sentients.

I wouldn't compare the 2 because it makes people think Dark Sector is the prequel to warframe. . But it's not.

To be fair, Warframe borrows A LOT of things from Dark Sector, so it really isn't too far off from being a "sequel" to Dark Sector, or at the very least, takes place in the same universe. To Tenno are named after Hayden, many warframes look like characters from Dark Sector, the Technocyte virus, the Tenno even use a Glaive like Hayden did and its description even describes it as "dating back to the time of the first Tenno". I'm sure there are some other things in common too. Warframe is what DE wanted Dark Sector to be.

snip

But it's still not the same because the lore is different and was already confirmed to be a "spiritual ancestor" of warframe. Aka why I wouldn't use DS to explain warframe in greater detail. It can explain where they came from to a degree but not in the warframe universe.

2 things can be in common without being related.

Take this with a grain of salt.  Given how it's confirmed that Warframe's lore is completely different and separate from Dark Sector's lore, the above may be (highly) inaccurate.

In Warframe's lore -- from what I understand -- the Technocyte Virus, and consequently the Infested, was created by the Orokin in their war with the Sentients.

I don't think DE owns the rights to Dark Sector, so them admitting to using bits of its lore for Warframe might be dicey, legally.

• 1 month later...

Wrong Dark Sector is connected to Warframe Excalibur Proto suit outdate the Orokin era on earth said by DE. Dark Sector is the prequel to Warframe and it's the same technocyte virus that was research at Vozro Research Facility during the cold war in 1987 Hayden Tenno worked for a organisation called The Agency they created the virus and Excalibur Proto suit key point here The Agency symbol was the Lotus same symbol on her helmet they even call it Lotus in the game.  

The infestation was created by the Orokin to fight the Sentients. The Technocyte Virus is much older than that, the in-game lore under the heading of the Infestation pre-codex noted that there were records of a infestation-like outbreak on old earth way before the Orokin Era. And livestream 10 had the Devs saying:

Warframe takes place waaay beyond that timeframe. Ridiculously after, If you can imagine something like that, something that integrates itself with the body or could be re-purposed as technology this idea of metal that is also alive and changeable and so on, and the way it channels energy, this is deja vu, but we talked about, when we talked about a sequel ages ago we were talking about taking a big leap forward in time and saying "what were the societal repercussions of this idea"

Strongly suggests that the "Cold and gold" Orokin are what you get when a small group of people perfect weaponising of the DS-era "living metal" and rebuild themselves out of it. (AKA what we ultimately call "Forma") And having had (what they though was) absolute control and understanding of the technocyte virus for thousands of years they get too cocky and think they can make an army out of it, creating the infestation.

Wrong Dark Sector is connected to Warframe Excalibur Proto suit outdate the Orokin era on earth said by DE. Dark Sector is the prequel to Warframe and it's the same technocyte virus that was research at Vozro Research Facility during the cold war in 1987 Hayden Tenno worked for a organisation called The Agency they created the virus and Excalibur Proto suit key point here The Agency symbol was the Lotus same symbol on her helmet they even call it Lotus in the game.  

No, please listen to the livestreams, DS is "connected" "comes from the same well of ideas" "happens is a completely different timeframe" but the devs are _very_ careful not to call DS a prequel nor Warframe a sequel, in my quote above they are explicitly talking about the time when they discussed a sequel to DS indicating that those discussions were _separate_ to Warframe.

A _lot_ of DS is considered ancient history to Warframe but we can't assume _everything_ is. 

destroys the dismissal that Dark Sector was not a prequel of a few million years. 

I'm not even sure what you're saying here, that that trailer was the _pitch_ video that DE used to try and sell Dark Sector before it was made, no publisher would buy it like that so the game became the cold-war-era game we know about.

DS was supposed to be like Warframe, but single player. But DE's ideas have changed a lot since then.