The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

3 Dumb Ideas For Prime Waframes

(PSN)Ihlgigaris

I was kinda mulling this one over for a little bit and have decided to throw it out there for some opinions.

Prime Warframes are cool and all, but besides looking different and saving you a few forma, they're really not that different from your average Warframe. I mean, you can theoretically find/earn/build the forma you'd be saving DURING the time you're farming for them.

So here's a dumb idea for Prime Warframes #1: What if you made them a force multiplier by giving each of them a slight passive aura?

Admittedly, this is not a FULLY hashed out idea, but what if you had (for example) a Frost Prime that had a passive armor boost aura, so that all members of the team got a 20% boost? Or an Ember Prime with a passive power duration aura?

This could seriously change the value of a Prime frame.

A dumb idea for Prime Warframes #2: Sort of going along with #1, what if they actually boosted the efficacy of Aura mods in general? Say it gave a 1% boost to the Aura slot's power per level, ultimately boosting it's power by 30%?

Again, could really add more value to a Prime beyond simply the forma saving and the aesthetics.

Finally, a dumb idea for Prime Warframes #3: What if their particular powers could level up to rank 4 or 5 instead of just rank 3?

I don't know how much overpowering this would cause, but it would sure make these primes a bit more interesting and worthwhile to get. 

The reason I thought of this was that I have a Rhino and I'm on PS4. The update with Rhino Prime hasn't hit yet (if it EVER will :'(...) and I can't really justify going after a new Prime Warframe for any other reason than mastery rank. I really want to love the idea of Rhino Prime, but priming a warframe that's been part of this game for so long would put people in a position where the forma and time and effort they put in to building their Rhino could ALMOST feel like a waste. I know quite a few players who feel this way. I know that they can just keep their buffed Rhinos, but when you play a frame for that long and you come to know it and love it, getting the Prime version should be a reward, not a new chore.

Well, there ya have it... what do you think?

You wait till you see Rhino prime in all his golden glory! Also if you did not know Rhino prime is also faster then Rhino. 

The stats of all frames are based against Excaliburs stats, he is the benchmark for average stat. Excalibur has a move speed of 1.0 so that is basic movement speed. Rhino and frost have a move speed of 0.9, so they are slower. Rhino primes speed is at 1.0 so he moves at the speed of a normal frame. This can be buffed with the Vanguard helmet to make Rhino prime go even faster. Also Rhino primes iron skin is golden instead of silver. 

So Rhino prime is the first prime you will start feeling you are getting more than just a different helmet and a forma. If this trend continues and other frames have cool minor tweaks it could be cool. 

As for your ideas I think I like the first one the most. Its simple and is set per frame so you always know the effect. The second idea is a little complicated because it means all primes get that and they lose some individual uniqueness the first option would bring. 

Third idea at first seems odd but the more I think about it the worse it feels. Upping the prime version of ability to rank 4 or 5 means they do mroe damage and such. This would make it seem in many peoples eyes that you have to get the primes frames to be able to play "endgame" because then the prime frames would be out right better. 

I personally feel that minor power/skill changes and mainly cosmetic changes are what are needed to make primes feel special. I dont have him yet but I feel they have got it just right with rhino prime. He looks different (appearance and shape wise), he has cool quirks (spinining key is back makes hi ma clockwork soldier) and he is different to Rhino (runs quicker). 

Personally though I would like them to go back and look at the previous prime frames and try some small tweaks on them before moving forward on new stuff or stronger changes. 

DE has been/is kinda on the fence about the whole 'primes should be better' idea

excal prime had the extra polarity which was special at first when forma were new, but now basically meaningless, then excal also had a very slight shield recharge spd buff (but not very significant)

then frost prime has the interaction with the void box-cover pop-up objects, restoring some energy

then mag/ember just the polarity and nothing else

now rhino prime is faster

first DE wanted the primes to be visually special but not necessary 'better' than the tenno counter-parts, but now it seems we're moving into the power-creep territory

IMHO there is nothing wrong with giving the primes some unique abilities, whether it be different innate stats/features/etc (ideally they will get an alternate power kit, showcasing their prime powers), but at the same time i completely disagree with the 'primes are BETTER' concept, different sure, im ok with that, but if the primes are just a straight upgrade from the tenno-version, then they are only serving to decommission prior content, and that is just bad design at this point IMHO

then frost prime has the interaction with the void box-cover pop-up objects, restoring some energy

Actually all Primes have that ability, which is what makes Primes functionally different from their normal counterparts. This ability is only useful on Void missions though, so for the most part not really something you can rely on.

I dont know, i still think the normal counterpart should be able to reach the same level with some work.

Giving prime a bonus like this will cause the same problem many wepaons have, nobody will work on the normal versions anymore.

Bronco

Sicarus

Boltor

Latron

Paris

Burston

Fang

You dont see the normal versions of them 99% of the time, why would anybody bother with them when you can get a way better version.

Same would happen with frames, why did you bring a normal Mag ? Mag prime has 20% more reach.

And the change on Rhino prime was already a drama, but to be fair i think this was caused more by the reason that he loses his only downside.

I honestly don't like the idea of Prime frames getting extra numbers, even if they're very minor. I think all Primes (weapons included) should be SIDEgrades, not UPgrades.

As for the frames, what if they had access to special Auras that normal frames cannot use? Maybe some kind of hybrid Auras like increasing Primary and Secondary dmg in one aura?

THAT kind of thing I wouldn't mind, but it the Prime frames are just BETTER? Then everyone rolls a Prime, and people loose their customization for the sake of numbers.

-Jin

And the change on Rhino prime was already a drama, but to be fair i think this was caused more by the reason that he loses his only downside.

Basically yea, why bother with most of the frames in this game when this frame is faster (with and alt helmet), has more effective health, on top of having some of the best powers in the game. Sure he's not the fastest, but is definitely above average.

Then what about the other primes? Is it okay that certain ones are a carbon copy with a different skin, while others get upgrades? It's one thing to have them be better its another to basically pick and choose favored frames, ie Rhino Prime vs Ember Prime.

I honestly don't like the idea of Prime frames getting extra numbers, even if they're very minor. I think all Primes (weapons included) should be SIDEgrades, not UPgrades.

As for the frames, what if they had access to special Auras that normal frames cannot use? Maybe some kind of hybrid Auras like increasing Primary and Secondary dmg in one aura?

THAT kind of thing I wouldn't mind, but it the Prime frames are just BETTER? Then everyone rolls a Prime, and people loose their customization for the sake of numbers.

-Jin

We already see that with weapons so why not give prime frames better things? it doesn't have to be massive but it could be a slight bit better than a standard frame, we already see that in weapons.