The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Vs. Loki (Who Should Be The True Starter Frame?)

LoGicMoTion

I'm not sure if I agree or not (on damage abilities helping newbies). I have an alt account that I started with Mag on and I rarely get to use my abilities because I can't recoup energy fast enough. 

I think Volt encroaches upon Excal's territory.

Volt has one thing Excal does not.  Pillow forts! Er... one second, the correct term for the ability is "Electric shield"  Either way, shooting through those helps boost the damage and shield your team-members from incoming fire which is nice to have and probably would be very valuable early on too.  That and Volt has cast abilitys and AOE damage which is NICE, right up there with stomp imo, though slightly less.  Stomp still > Shock/overload but those are VERY good abilitys.  Then there is speed, being able to get to the objective alot quicker or past obsticals WITH your team.  As far as Volt Encroaching on Excal... Nah, they play too differently imo,  though he is a bit of a blend between Mag and Excal, being more of a caster with Shock/Overload and yet he is still different from Mag due to having Electric Shield and Speed.

Edited by Sibarian

I'm not sure if I agree or not (on damage abilities helping newbies). I have an alt account that I started with Mag on and I rarely get to use my abilities because I can't recoup energy fast enough. 

I know what you mean, energy has to be used sparingly on a low level frame. But think of this possible situation. A new player encounters a napalm for the first time, only to find out that their guns seem to only be a slight inconvience to him. A slash dash or two or a pull won't necesarily kill him outright but it will help out a lot.

The starter weapons are decent on the normal mobs for a while, but abilities really help when it comes to heavies and bosses.

I know what you mean, energy has to be used sparingly on a low level frame. But think of this possible situation. A new player encounters a napalm for the first time, only to find out that their guns seem to only be a slight inconvience to him. A slash dash or two or a pull won't necesarily kill him outright but it will help out a lot.

The starter weapons are decent on the normal mobs for a while, but abilities really help when it comes to heavies and bosses.

That's usually when I switched to my skana and invisibility(that's what I did as a newbie).

I find it rather hilarious that people seem to think that Ash has more survivability than Loki. Believe it or not, Loki can be considered one of the best tank frames in the game, with him only missing out on the high HP/Shields. Decoy redirects enemy aggro, Invisibility stop enemies from targetting you, allowing you to recharge your shields and Radial Disarm completely negates ranged aggro. <--- Redirecting/Negating aggression is the proper job of a tank.

Loki can fit a LOT of roles for the newbies better than Ash ever could.

New players have a limited energy pool because they do not have Streamline or Flow, and they don't deal enough damage to quickly kill enemies for energy. I know Loki is extremely survivable with his ability to redirect aggro and cloak, but new players don't have the energy for that.

Just what I think.

No new players don't have much energy pool, they also don't have the ability to level up as quick as someone on their 3rd frame and 10th weapon.  The initial frame/weapon leveling process is relatively very slow.

What it means is that for a brand new player not only does the 3rd and 4th power not have space to be equipped for a while, also those powers aren't able to be fused up to be as useful.

The 1st ability becomes really important.  It is a low enough cost to be used more and if it can be useful before its fused it becomes even more powerful.

Right now, loki's decoy is one of the best team powers for a group of R0-2 players you can get.  2 Lokis with a little bit of impromtu coordination can keep all 4 players from getting shot at a whole run, then IF the excals and mags need to duck and recharge shields they can go invisible and keep shooting. 

Ash?  oh... teleport into melee range?  yeah that is a great team power, get killed in the middle of a fight, make the rest of the team either run up and put themselves in danger or just ignore their downed teammate?

Then once they can get to a point, the loki user has discovered CC and knows how great radial disarm is.  The excal user?  most new excal users have a hard time seeing the benefit of radial blind but want to use Javelin, but really when that is unranked and if you are using it around too much cover you'll be lucky to get 4 kills out of a large group.  Not really the best oh S#&amp;&#036; button till you learn how to use it.  Ash?  Bladestorm can be really fun, but agian is pretty lack luster unranked and takes forever to get through a crowd, good luck not having someone kill one of your mobs and break the chain... AGAIN dropping the Ash player into the middle of a bunch of mobs where he shouldn't be.

Loki is a great option for the player that chooses him based on his description of being for the more advanced player.  I really don't know what to say about anyone that reads the new players description for Loki then complains it is too hard.

New players have a limited energy pool because they do not have Streamline or Flow, and they don't deal enough damage to quickly kill enemies for energy. I know Loki is extremely survivable with his ability to redirect aggro and cloak, but new players don't have the energy for that.

Just what I think.

This also applies to those other frames' damage abilities.

This also applies to those other frames' damage abilities.

25 energy to deal plenty of damage to multiple enemies vs. 25 energy to redirect aggro or 50 energy to cloak for 8 seconds. Which sounds better to a new player? There's no point in spending 50 energy when another Frame could just kill all the enemies for 25. In the later game, the cloak is amazing. But in the early game, it's not very necessary.

25 energy to deal plenty of damage to multiple enemies vs. 25 energy to redirect aggro or 50 energy to cloak for 8 seconds. Which sounds better to a new player? There's no point in spending 50 energy when another Frame could just kill all the enemies for 25. In the later game, the cloak is amazing. But in the early game, it's not very necessary.

25 energy for something that can last up to 25 seconds sounds pretty good to me. Especially since it acts as a deployable tank.