Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question Of The Community About Warframe Gender ( No No Not Gender Swapping)

Deidaku

You cannot just ignore the Excalibur Lore entry.

The Void did SOMETHING to humans and made them into Tenno.

The void was a place that was used to throw all the garbage and failed experiments in. I could get deeper into my speculations but it would take hours for me write the complete lore of the game (by what is given to me). I suggest that you research more into the Lore.

I'm just going to restate my belief that the suits use nanites to reshape the wearer, to focus their inner power to harmonize with the warframe's amplification, and to fit the wearer into the suits. The suits are highly stylized and ornamental, after all.

Edited by xSapphire

I would say Zephyr is pretty androgynous.  Her more feminine features are hidden by the armor.  Just like birds, the only (obvious) distinction between male and female is the difference in coloring.  So if you wanted to roleplay your Zephyr as male, give her vibrant colors.  If you wanted to keep her female, give her boring, drab colors :P

Edited by Soulie

Source on this? 

And if you just claim 'A Devstream', I'd like a timestamp. This is the first I've heard of this.

The Sentients had won. They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses. The war was over unless we found a new way. In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed. We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our saviors. Warrior-Gods cast in steel and fury striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend.
Excalibur was the first.
"In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed."
In other words, it was a place that was filled with the failed experiments (such as weapons, test subjects, and other things) of the Orokin.
Edited by MegaSnail

Nor does it say that there's a sun in the Warframe universe.

Yay! The first time in my use of forums I have that particular counter argument used. I always wondered how I would react. It appears faux excitement is the path I have chosen lol.

And by the way when you refer to something as a solar system it is some what a given that a star is at the center of it. And yes I just threw semantics at you like flaming hot crap pies. Enjoy!

I am not saying they weren't infected I am just saying it has not been directly stated. So saying they were infected is an assumption you are making. I am not 100% convinced that the tenno themselves were infected but I am sure the WWarframes are definitely made using the virus to produce parts of it.

I would say Zephyr is pretty androgynous.  Her more feminine features are hidden by the armor.  Just like birds, the only (obvious) distinction between male and female is the difference in coloring.  So if you wanted to roleplay your Zephyr as male, give her vibrant colors.  If you wanted to keep her female, give her boring, drab colors :P

Yes and No X)

Yeah I have to admit she is pretty androgynous

No because we know it's a she.

there should be a frame imo that lotus references to as neutral or "it"  to increase the creepyness of the origin of frames 

-snip-

"In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed."
In other words, it was a place that was filled with the failed experiments (such as weapons, test subjects, and other things) of the Orokin.

"...where our science and reason fail'

That could be taken as a place where their laws of physic (Science and Reason) No longer apply.

I don't believe that line is meant to be taken literally 

You're making an awful lot of assumptions about the lore here, friend..

Edited by Emeere

"...where our science and reason fail'

That could be taken as a place where their laws of physic (Science and Reason) No longer apply.

I don't believe that line is meant to be taken literally 

This has reached a contradiction. It can mean either of these, let's just agree that the Void held the Tenno. 

This has reached a contradiction. It can mean either of these, let's just agree that the Void held the Tenno. 

Nothing has reached a contradiction. It's called an impasse.

Let's just agree to disagree, I don't agree with your personal take on the lore.

IMHO, the Warframe lines are based on the unique designs created for the first few Tenno.

The Ember Warframe carries a little of the first Ember who had the suit made around her.

Likewise the (Most likely) Old and wizened Oberon.

I think that it would be perfectly understandable if Void-borne disfigurement were to strip one of those first few Tenno of their Primary and Secondary sex characteristics as such their Warframe and the subsequent mass produced version that our Tenno build would be free of any specific sex characteristics. depending on the other attributes of the Warframe I'm be interested in that.

How our Tenno fits in the various Warframes they build hasn't yet been revealed, be it temporary physical mutability or something else, but I'm sure it will.

Maybe they're human...but heavly modified humans...I don't think we should be suprised to see genderless mutant individuals.

And also how do we know they still reproduce naturally like we do? 

Maybe they are also like some clones bu unlike the grineer they didn't fail miserably 

Grineer didn't fail at cloning. Its just a simple fact that you can make some many copies of copies before they start to degrade.

What a surprise, I've been pondering posting about this very subject for a while, honestly it's something I'd almost like to take to the design council.

The issue of warframe "genders" is interesting because they have no personality that we know of and, as many people here have stated, any sex characteristics that we have for them are warped due to mutation and illness that exists in their lore. The warframe's physiology in and of itself isn't exactly human if you pay any kind of attention to their details (Seriously look at like, any warframe's feet or head shapes, come on how are people arguing this).

But moreover sex in humans present day already exists in something of a spectrum. Intersexuality is a thing and it happens with a lot of variants, it's just that our heteronormative society erases these people pretty regularly in favor of reinforcing the western gender binary of "male" and "female". Whether we're talking about sex OR gender, which yes are completely different things, reducing all of humanity to being EITHER male or female simply does not apply. If that's an argument you're making, and several people in this thread have, you should probably go study the subjects of gender and sex and maybe, you know, try and talk to some of the people who are adversely affected by the ideology you spread.  But whatever, that's beside the point.

As for what to do about Warframes, I've been interested in the idea of an Agender or Nonbinary frame for quite a while. In the latest devstream one of the devs said he liked that warframes by design conceal the identity of the user, meaning they can be any race, and they can be male, female, or "Other". That was his wording, not mine, and that gave me a lot of hope. Reading that people read Zephyr as not being explicitly gendered in her design also gives me a lot of hope.

I think the way to go about it isn't so much to make a "Genderless" frame, but to simply remove all he/she pronoun usage off the current frames we have. Their pronouns are only really used a few times in in-game description right now, so I think this might be a reasonable request in terms of work hours put into it, to be honest? Just change all "He" and "She" usage (and "It" if there are any, I don't know for sure but I guess it's possible) to "They", and the problem is effectively solved. If people want to read them in heteronormative ways, then they can and no one will really stop them.

All this change would do is make it so that people like me and others in this thread who would like to be able to project gender*#()# readings onto the frames so that we can better identify with them don't have to "look over" the canon that's there, so to speak. It would also put Digital Extremes leaps and bounds ahead of like...PRETTY MUCH ANYONE in game development right now, because pretty much no one in the game industry is super duper Transgender or generally Gender*#()# friendly. Digital Extremes has the potential to connect with a fairly unique audience that doesn't really get thrown any bones very often, and it would be at fairly little expense to them as far as I see.

Personally I'd like to see them endorse that side of their character design a little bit more vocally on a public relations level, too, but if they build a little more of their upcoming lore around this idea then they could just do that in-game instead of having to be vocal about it. As *#()# guy myself I'm pretty confident that if *#()# gaming circles caught wind that this is an active thing they're doing for us, people would be very interested and happy to support. It doesn't hurt that Warframe is a great game on it's own.

EDIT: Good lord, I finished this post and looked up and some person said there should be a frame that's referred to as "It" to increase warframe creepiness? I need a drink or 20. That's pretty gross and Transphobic rhetoric, buddy.

Edited by tazzypillar