The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"just A Videogame" Exuse

xShadowsaur

Is anyone else sick of hearing this excuse?

"It's just a videogame."

"Why are you trying to make sense of a videogame?"

"Are you seriously trying to make the story in a videogame make sense?"

And other such nonsense.

Videogames are a form of fun, yes, but they are just as valid as any other medium for conveying a story. Their function is to create a universe in which the player goes into. If the universe is trying to take itself seriously (As Warframe's is from the looks of things), then things must make sense in order to have immersion. We want an active universe with rich history, believability, interesting aspects of it (be it characters, locations, events, etc.).

Yes, it is not all what videogames are. And that's alright, but that does not take away from the importance of good story to some people. Yes, videogames are not novels. Yes, they're not movies. But that does not mean they're any weaker a medium for story telling.

Yes, not all games are like this. A lot of games break the 4th wall. DLC Quest for one, Deadpool the videogame, and plenty of others. Do I find that stuff funny? Yes. Do I think all games should have that? No.

Honestly, the last thing video games need are more reasons for people not to take it seriously. There's already enough stigma against it as it is.

To those who play games and completely ignore the story, fine. You're in your right to. It's like watching a movie just for the visuals or just to see the action. But there is no need to attack those who go in for the story and try to make sense of it.

And if anyone is interested in reading about the artistic and scientific implications of games, here are two interesting articles:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2010/09/can-video-games-be-art.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/video-games-good-for-us_n_4164723.html

All in all, Videogames should not be taken any less seriously than any other medium of story. There is nothing about Videogames that would make them worse at storytelling. I could argue otherwise, because the fact that it's interactive means that the player is more interested because of their part in the story. It stops being just a story and starts being experiences.

Now I must get ready for the legions that will comment this and complain that it's just a game and not to take it seriously

Edited by xShadowsaur

What exactly are you complaining about?

I'm complaining about the fact that people dismiss the story of videogames simply because they're videogames and insult people who try to make sense of the universe and call it pointless because it's "just a videogame"

Warframe isn't just a game to me, it's my primary stress reliever.

It is for me too, but I also enjoy getting a good story out of it. A lot of people watch TV stories to relieve stress and get a good story, I do that with videogames.

What exactly are you complaining about?

He wanted gender-swapping but some random forumers told him "it doesn't have to make sense", "it's just a game" and other crap. 

@Shadowsaur

Which are terrible reasons. I don't support gender-swapping, but those aren't valid in any way to deciding elements of a game.

He wanted gender-swapping but some random forumers told him "it doesn't have to make sense", "it's just a game" and other crap. 

@Shadowsaur

Which are terrible reasons. I don't support gender-swapping, but those aren't valid in any way to deciding elements of a game.

I think it makes sense to be able to choose gender. It personalizes the warframes and improves this concept of "tenno". If people don't like it, fine, but when I try to make sense of things I don't want someone to just say it's a videogame and toss it aside. If they have a genuine theory, like I heard one about the Tenno being an AI, that's fine. Have your theories. I just hate it when people say it's just a game, especially when actual gamers say it.

I think it makes sense to be able to choose gender. It personalizes the warframes and improves this concept of "tenno". If people don't like it, fine, but when I try to make sense of things I don't want someone to just say it's a videogame and toss it aside. If they have a genuine theory, like I heard one about the Tenno being an AI, that's fine. Have your theories. I just hate it when people say it's just a game, especially when actual gamers say it.

Quoting myself from another thread :

I have a feeling DE has a reason for doing this though, eventually tying in to lore. Until they say anything about this, I wouldn't demand any "logic additions" until the Warframe Universe has been set in stone.

When that will be... who knows? After Melee 8.0 and Abilities 4.0 maybe.

There's a chance that Tenno might not conform to our logic of 1 body, 1 suit. Until DE clarifies that, I'll be eagerly waiting for the lore.

Edited by kaboomonme

Quoting myself from another thread :

That's a perfectly valid reason, Tenno. I would of accepted that as a proper counter to my claim.

But that is not what this topic is about, honestly. This is about the continual disrespect videogames get as a story telling medium and as pieces of art.

What do you think? Do you think videogames are lesser story telling mediums? Do you think they're just as valid as the others?

Wise man once say:

"You've gotta take games seriously too, or else you won't have fun in life!"

Although that might have been some crazy chick that's part-clothes or something rather than a wise man I don't know.

I'm confused by this. I have fun in games. I also enjoy a good story. Also sarcasm doesn't transmit well with text. And I'm not saying games are all serious, I'm saying that they should have some respect. There are those who want to just play, that's fine. There are also those who want a story. They shouldn't be denounced just because they want a story specifically from a videogame.

That's a perfectly valid reason, Tenno. I would of accepted that as a proper counter to my claim.

But that is not what this topic is about, honestly. This is about the continual disrespect videogames get as a story telling medium and as pieces of art.

What do you think? Do you think videogames are lesser story telling mediums? Do you think they're just as valid as the others?

I personally think videogames have the potential to tell stories the BEST way. 

There are so many ways videogames can portray a story that traditional forms of media cannot. Yes, I believe it is just as valid, if not more so than others. 

It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people will have this biased view of videogames being "mindless", "a waste of time" etc. Just as some people think that of watching TV. Times may change though, so I'll stay hopeful.

After all, the age of Virtual Reality may be upon us. *yay*

I personally think videogames have the potential to tell stories the BEST way. 

There are so many ways videogames can portray a story that traditional forms of media cannot. Yes, I believe it is just as valid, if not more so than others. 

It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people will have this biased view of videogames being "mindless", "a waste of time" etc. Just as some people think that of watching TV. Times may change though, so I'll stay hopeful.

After all, the age of Virtual Reality may be upon us. *yay*

Thank you. There is so much more to gain from this medium almost solely because it is interactive. In a good game with a good story you set things in motion, you're there side by side with the NPCs: You matter!

Of course the stigma is there, but we shouldn't be seeing it from gamers. Good self image is a good step for having others think of gaming with a good image. I can't wait till the day videogames are referred to with as much respect as painting is.

Woo, virtual reality. Hope that works well. If not, I'll be here with a keyboard, a mouse and my PC.