The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hmm.. About Nekro's Desecrate.

AnOldAlias

I know I post most of my topics in general, almost always the wrong section as it seems but hell, people pay more attention here then anywhere else. XD So I really do apologize for posting everything here, making more work for the mods and such..

I had this idea for Desecrate, instead of having it work on the already dead, why not make it AOE effect all enemies in the radius of it and when they die they have a chance of extra loot? Same as the desecrate now, except it is an effect that works while they are alive and is triggered when they die.

An idea, stupid idea, but eh! What do you guys think?

I know I post most of my topics in general, almost always the wrong section as it seems but hell, people pay more attention here then anywhere else. XD So I really do apologize for posting everything here, making more work for the mods and such..

That's still not a valid excuse for blatantly posting topics in the wrong section, seeing as you're already aware that you shouldn't post it in here.

Moved to the proper section.

I'd prefer it be a sentinel mod to begin with, and give Nekros a new 3. Something actually fun.

That could work. And/or:

Make Desecrate a timed aura for Nekros. Any corpse that gets inside the aura, explodes (yay corpse explosion woo!) and has a chance to spawn loot and/or a health orb.

What that means:

Less insane spamming of the ability + It will always have a use with the corpse-explosion, even when you don't manage to get any loot/health orb from the corpses!

That could work. And/or:

Make Desecrate a timed aura for Nekros. Any corpse that gets inside the aura, explodes (yay corpse explosion woo!) and has a chance to spawn loot and/or a health orb.

What that means:

Less insane spamming of the ability + It will always have a use with the corpse-explosion, even when you don't manage to get any loot/health orb from the corpses!

I like that, but to be honest I would prefer, just loot (up to a certain point, will go into detail later), the explosions, or an entirely new ability.

The loot bit I wouldn't mind it being ammo generating with a chance to do some credits. I don't like the oxygen generation because that's just like Snow Globe and Defense, simply easy button that inflates scores and makes him a one-trick pony. If it was limited to things like a couple ammo packs and some credits, with no mods(maybe, not entirely sold on this) being dropped or O2 packs, I'd be insanely happier with the ability.

The explosions would be good, and just for a basis I'm thinking about 300-400 damage at max rank. perhaps a scaling of 100/200/300/400 damage? The range it affects corpses is pretty good, and the explosion radius of...Bounce's radius to start with would be pretty good, at least as a good starting point, no?

As for a new ability. Why not just give him an AoE DoT Heal for everyone? all enemies in a radial range take some flat damage DoT which is converted into health for Nekros and everyone in a radius around him, as it's being played out. Or perhaps change that to enemy corpses, not the enemies themselves, but you get the idea. Stays support, keep giving health, Desecrate is moved to a sentinel slot and everyone is happier.

I like that, but to be honest I would prefer, just loot (up to a certain point, will go into detail later), the explosions, or an entirely new ability.

The loot bit I wouldn't mind it being ammo generating with a chance to do some credits. I don't like the oxygen generation because that's just like Snow Globe and Defense, simply easy button that inflates scores and makes him a one-trick pony. If it was limited to things like a couple ammo packs and some credits, with no mods(maybe, not entirely sold on this) being dropped or O2 packs, I'd be insanely happier with the ability.

The explosions would be good, and just for a basis I'm thinking about 300-400 damage at max rank. perhaps a scaling of 100/200/300/400 damage? The range it affects corpses is pretty good, and the explosion radius of...Bounce's radius to start with would be pretty good, at least as a good starting point, no?

As for a new ability. Why not just give him an AoE DoT Heal for everyone? all enemies in a radial range take some flat damage DoT which is converted into health for Nekros and everyone in a radius around him, as it's being played out. Or perhaps change that to enemy corpses, not the enemies themselves, but you get the idea. Stays support, keep giving health, Desecrate is moved to a sentinel slot and everyone is happier.

Agreed, if it was just corpse eplosions with a chance of health orbs, ammo and/or credits, i guess it'd be fine. O2-packs and mods (and to a much lesser extent, resources) being part of the lootspawn, he becomes an "evil necessity" for farming/certain gamemodes, which is never a good design imo.

But the damage you suggested would probably need to be half (50/100/150/200) while the aoe could be slightly bigger. Otherwise it'd be close to being another Molecular Prime.

Archwizard's Soul Feast was also a kind of neat replacement: A conical Viral attack, where all the damage done is then sucked in to Nekros, which he converts in to a healing pulse for himself, his minions and allies.

Agreed, if it was just corpse eplosions with a chance of health orbs, ammo and/or credits, i guess it'd be fine. O2-packs and mods (and to a much lesser extent, resources) being part of the lootspawn, he becomes an "evil necessity" for farming/certain gamemodes, which is never a good design imo.

But the damage you suggested would probably need to be half (50/100/150/200) while the aoe could be slightly bigger. Otherwise it'd be close to being another Molecular Prime.

Archwizard's Soul Feast was also a kind of neat replacement: A conical Viral attack, where all the damage done is then sucked in to Nekros, which he converts in to a healing pulse for himself, his minions and allies.

That's where I got the idea for the new ability. :P

and fair point about the corpse explosions. I'm not great with math, and Nova is far beyond anything I could even hope of understanding, but that's for another thread. The damage there sounds pretty good, and it would fit with Nekros having to kill enemies to get good things. Plus, since he doesn't have any form of mass nuke ability, he'd need some good teamplay or a good well modded shredder weapon to get the most out of the corpse explosions.

Now, if we absolutely have to keep desecrate as it is, please take out mods and O2 packs. They are so small  and infrequent, you'd barely notice them if it wasn't for the flashy effects and things going on with the HUD. I just went on a couple Derelict survival runs, I would barely get any O2 packs per swarm. We had to constantly hit the pods and move on. It's not worth it, at least not in it's current form. Please, we need to change this at some point soon.

Give Nekros a new 1,2,4, first 

Nekros is one of the few characters that I regularly use all of the abilities for. Now, 4 I'll sometimes remove and even more rarely, I'll remove 1.  (The punch and the summoning).  However, terrify is amazingly useful.  Not many people use it and even fewer know how to use it, but I've had a few people that I've taught to use it love it.  I don't usually teach that though since not everyone can do it (more of a mental issue that they'd have to get past than a capability issue).  For the soul punch, it can be amazingly useful, but it is much harder to use than some of the alternative CCs such as sonic boom from banshee (which hits an area by itself).  It has been a life saver though when I used it to fling an enemy off the map, away from an ally with low health, away from the cryopod, to push that disrupter away, etc.  Shadows of the Dead is fairly useful for many things: creating a shield, extra health orbs from desecrate, support abilities (healing ancients, shield generating drones, etc.), As a target for allies or myself (mainly for things like the ogris (explosion position control) or for the glaive (bounce control).

Thing is that they aren't easy to use.  Nekros is not an easy character to use, but he is definitely fun.

I had this idea for Desecrate, instead of having it work on the already dead, why not make it AOE effect all enemies in the radius of it and when they die they have a chance of extra loot? Same as the desecrate now, except it is an effect that works while they are alive and is triggered when they die.

An idea, stupid idea, but eh! What do you guys think?

Personally, while that would be nice in some cases, one of the plus sides of how it is now is that if you get a huge group that would kill the nekros, instead of having to run into the group and casting, you can have someone kill them all, then jump in and cast.  This is especially important when you start fighting enemies that hit for about 1000+ damage per second.

So while it would help out in a lot of situations, it would make it much harder to desecrate in others.  In addition, changing it in that way would only barely work for the name "desecrate" since while you would be desecrating the corpses still in a sense, it would be more like you've infected them with something.

What would be nice though would be if there was a small tweak that made strength affect drop chances.  (so instead of a flat rate of drop chance, your power strength could raise/lower that chance).

Personally, while that would be nice in some cases, one of the plus sides of how it is now is that if you get a huge group that would kill the nekros, instead of having to run into the group and casting, you can have someone kill them all, then jump in and cast.  This is especially important when you start fighting enemies that hit for about 1000+ damage per second.

And it also would require you to be at the head of the pack, to get to the enemies before your team does.  Overall, such a change would suck.

If they wanted to improve Desecrate, the two biggest things that would help would be having Infected set to the same corpse duration as other factions (I imagine they deteriorate faster for quantity reasons so that may not be practical) and making it so that it always desecrates the closest corpse (and the usual 60% chance for the rest).  If you could do it while reloading, that would also be a huge QoL improvement.

Edited by Axterix13