The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Katana In The "warframe - The Sword Alone" Video

Seij

Try fighting a guy with an axe and shield with a sword sometime if he knows what he is doing with it. Talk about OUCH! Good point about hard versus soft blocks. But still, one solid cut and you have half a saya... Hard to parry with 4 inches of wood... POSSIBLE, mind you, I have seen it done. But HARD.

Didn't think you were one of the people who play anime style games and figure they are 9th dan masters of Kenjutsu. If I implied that I did not mean to.

That said, since this is far future, I guess the saya would be made of super hard dense metal. Gallium maybe? (snicker)

Gallium is a liquid. >.>

Well, considering the fact that the katana is curved...

... That was kind of expected. Someone skilled in that should be capable of making arced cuts in almost any angle from the scabbard except for the silly ones like trying to draw and cut the floor from a standing position or trying to draw and cut to your left from a stationary position without turning and using your right hand. In one motion.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Gallium is a liquid. >.>

Which is why I snickered

Well, considering the fact that the katana is curved...

... That was kind of expected. Someone skilled in that should be capable of making arced cuts in almost any angle from the scabbard except for the silly ones like trying to draw and cut the floor from a standing position or trying to draw and cut to your left from a stationary position without turning and using your right hand. In one motion.

Too many people also seem to equate katana with saber. Two TOTALLY different styles.

Edited by Kalenath

Which is why I snickered

Too many people seem to equate katana with saber. Two TOTALLY different styles.

The kanji for "katana" does have the general meaning of "Bladed implement of the backsword style with a curved blade", though. Nowadays the classification of []-to isn't used much outside of the Chinese language, iirc.

Yay multilingualism.

The kanji for "katana" does have the general meaning of "Bladed implement of the backsword style with a curved blade", though. Nowadays the classification of []-to isn't used much outside of the Chinese language, iirc.

Yay multilingualism.

True.

Don't even get me started on people calling anything curved with one edge and a one or two handed hilt a katana... (tachi, No-dachi, Dao, falchion, scimitar... I have seen them ALL called katana. *sigh*) 

True.

Don't even get me started on people calling anything curved with one edge and a one or two handed hilt a katana... (tachi, No-dachi, Dao, falchion, scimitar... I have seen them ALL called katana. *sigh*) 

I've seen an obvious Chinese Jian being called a badly-made imitation of a katana. Some people must be real bad with shapes.

If that Katana is to be added in addition to the upcoming melee update...

PLEASE!

Please please please, have that Katana worn the other way up.

I don't know if anyone else knows much about Kendo or Iaido, but the katana is worn the bladed side up.

Doesn't Digital Extremes do research on this stuff before making them? I mean even some anime that portray much less realistic content have got this part right. I would expect Warframe's next update that focuses heavily on melee to at least present melee with integrity.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't know if anyone would like to add to this. This IS in the feedback category right? So here's my feedback.

Also, you might think this is disrespectful to the developers, but what they've done is disrespect the sword and it's art. Just my 2 cents.

Actually, the sword is facing the right way.

Now it is.

In screenshots, it was shown edge facing down. That was only for horseback use (and usually with a tachi, not a katana).

Edited by Kalenath

It used to be facing the left way.

Now it is.

In screenshots, it was shown edge facing down. That was only for horseback use (and usually with a tachi, not a katana).

Adding on to that, the tachi has a slightly longer blade, more curve and only enough handle length for one hand, if what I've read doesn't fail me.

It used to be facing the left way.

Adding on to that, the tachi has a slightly longer blade, more curve and only enough handle length for one hand, if what I've read doesn't fail me.

Nope. That is it. A horseback and battlefield version of the same basic blade design.

I figure a spear or naginata is more useful, with the tachi as a backup.

This is part of the reason I got excited at seeing the bo animations.

DE wouldn't work that hard to animate just one weapon.

As a side note: I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the de-railment. xD

Actually, there's no evidence ninjato existed before ninja fanfics created them.

They never had a name for the sword they used either. The ninja used a shorter version of the katana. NOT the wakizashi. The sword did not have an official title. So later on the future more like modern times they gave those swords a label which was Ninjato. It was basically a shortened katana. Since the Japanese style of making swords always caused it to have a curve at the end. The Ninja needed something small not ludicrously huge, and unwieldy by the average person. Something that could be collectively and easily mastered.

If that Katana is to be added in addition to the upcoming melee update...

PLEASE!

Please please please, have that Katana worn the other way up.

I don't know if anyone else knows much about Kendo or Iaido, but the katana is worn the bladed side up.

Doesn't Digital Extremes do research on this stuff before making them? I mean even some anime that portray much less realistic content have got this part right. I would expect Warframe's next update that focuses heavily on melee to at least present melee with integrity.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't know if anyone would like to add to this. This IS in the feedback category right? So here's my feedback.

Also, you might think this is disrespectful to the developers, but what they've done is disrespect the sword and it's art. Just my 2 cents.

You do realize that the katana will be situated based on what slot it is worn on primary, secondary, melee since in melee 2.0 you are supposed to be able to equip a melee weapon in any slot you choose. They could also be basing were the katana is placed by researching kinjutsu which is what came before kendo and laido and both of those are based on kinjustu which means art of the sword. This is also what the samurai used as there fighting style and combat art so if that is what they are using then it is placed right. And you also need to chill its a game were non of that even exists anymore your just over analyzing it chill out and enjoy the game for what it is a 3rd person shooting/slashing game now if this game actually took place during the time of the samurai or say a 100 years after they were massacred then I could understand your raging.