Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Player From Mabinogi

Evariskitsune

So I decided after all that bit with the MMObomb polls to try your game (and vote for you, yay let's win the finals!) Though honestly prior to the poll I had never heard of Warframe, I have enjoyed the few games I've played.  I figured I'd come by the forums and say hi, introduce myself, and ask for general tips as to what I should be focusing on as far as a build and what to buy.  (because I'd rather ask here first than scour FAQs and the wiki for hours.)  

I enjoy in -most- 3rd person shooters;

Battle rifles or assault rifles with good range, but an automatic (or at least burst) fire option for close range engagements. 

Stealth.  

Being really, really annoying to NPCs before taking them down.  (Ex I love stun grenades in Deus Ex: HR,)  

... honestly in general, most of my 3rd person shooter experience is limited to Mass Effect (all games) and Deus Ex: HR.  Of which i enjoyed the combat more in the latter.  

while i also have plenty of experience with 1st person shooters, and my weapon choice is the same there, I'm not sure how it will translate to this game.

So yeah... hi.  Hope to see some of you in game maybe, and enjoy this game a whole lot more ^_^

Welcome to Warframe. :)

Go ahead and add me if too if you need help. After clearing the star chart I've sworn myself to helping others to save me from the soul crushing emptiness that comes with clearing the charts. I'm currently leveling new weapons too so don't be surprised if my DPS isn't through the roof. Also stay away from the amphis.

So I'm trying to decide on a sidearm to try to get to replace my lato for right now.  Should I go for the LEX or would it be better to try to bug people to take me on missions to get the resources for a Viper (or two?)

Lex is pretty good, especially against Grineer. It was also my first pistol post-Lato and has been with me ever since! Love it, then and now.

I never got the regular Viper (or its akimbo version), but I do have the Twin Wraiths version (its mostly the same gun, with just a few stat tweaks and its dual-wielded).

Lex features:

- High damage (High Puncture damage)

- Good accuracy (Hence why some people call it the "Pocket Sniper")

- Very ammo efficient

- Decent crit chance

- High recoil 

- Slow fire rate (Good or bad depending on your playstyle)

- Small magazine size

- Slow reload speed

Viper features:

- Very, very high fire rate

- Good damage (Mostly Impact)

- Decent crit chance

- Decent reload speed

- Small magazine size (For an auto-pistol)

- Not-very-good ammo efficiency

- Not-very-good accuracy

- Low status/proc chance

Also, welcome to Warframe! Feel free to add me, however I'm in the Asian region so it might be tough to find a nice time to play together.

Edited by PrivateAzib

So I'm trying to decide on a sidearm to try to get to replace my lato for right now.  Should I go for the LEX or would it be better to try to bug people to take me on missions to get the resources for a Viper (or two?)

Viper's nice for burst, but can't sustain. Lex, meanwhile, is a Grineer-slaying machine and its damage makes it very efficient. If you can get the faal then it's better than any of the starter primaries, sadly.

I would also say go for the Lex, vipers are fun little weapons but you need ammo efficiency mods and burst fire training if you want them to be at all useful, they simply cut ammo far too quickly to be viable other than shredding highly armoured targets.

also, when u get a high enough level. get the boltor, its amazing. and after a while try getting better :3

Welcome new one !

And beware of planet earth , it's very hard at the moment X)

As for Rifles : Go with the Braton (not MK1) , 

;)

depends on person.

You know, a player coming to Warframe from Mabinogi will probably find themselves right at home with Warframes initial difficulty.  For those of you wondering, Mabinogi is just as merciless on newbies, it's combat is not as simple as click and watch, not by a long shot.  It's way more about memorization of enemy attack patterns and abilities, and life pools are often 1-3 hits long against level appropriate content.  A lot of newbs are lost simply because they just don't "get" the combat system.

Lex is good, but the extremely slow rate of fire will be painful until you can mod it. The way you're probably used to snapping shots off with the Lato just isn't possible with a newly-purchased Lex.

Vipers can do damage, but be warned: they (like most full-auto pistols that I've used) are ammo eaters. If you're in a solo mission and you use the Vipers continually for a couple minutes, you could find yourself out of ammo (yes, it doesn't take long). Vipers and the like are good if you're using something like a bow or a sniper rifle. That way you can do most of the killing at long range with your primary weapon, and still have something to dish out a lot of bullets in a short amount of time if somebody gets through to close quarters where your bow or sniper isn't very effective. 

Once you have some resources I'd recommend trying to get a Vasto or a Magnus. 

Edited by Arvenski

You know, a player coming to Warframe from Mabinogi will probably find themselves right at home with Warframes initial difficulty.  For those of you wondering, Mabinogi is just as merciless on newbies, it's combat is not as simple as click and watch, not by a long shot.  It's way more about memorization of enemy attack patterns and abilities, and life pools are often 1-3 hits long against level appropriate content.  A lot of newbs are lost simply because they just don't "get" the combat system.

Ye I've noticed that having gone over to try the game as a result of the polls, its fun but its certainly relentless too when you start.

I second on the point of the Magnus. Really good revolver with a good crit chance and proc chance.

I've never used a Magnus, but I got myself a Vasto early on and I haven't regretted it. It's just such a....comfortable gun to use. Good damage, good accuracy, good RoF, etc. I think my only complaints are the low magazine size and and the slash-based damage. 

So yeah... hi.  Hope to see some of you in game maybe, and enjoy this game a whole lot more ^_^

I used to be a long-time dedicated player to Mabinogi myself. All I can say about Warframe, in short, is that it has a lot to offer. It may not be an open-world sandbox game like Mabinogi, but there are definitely plenty of different styles of play to choose from, especially when Melee 2.0 will arrive soon.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Alaric

Huh, okay. I figured you'd have something like the Braton and the Cronus, at which point I would've recommended waiting on a sentinel and saving up for some better weapons. 

Yeah had some help with getting materials for my weapons earlier.  so now trying to figure out sentinel or Aklex first.  (still.)

Edited by Evariskitsune

I'm afraid I can't help you there. I've never used the Aklex (hell, I've never even used the Lex much iirc), and I don't use sentinels (I might get a Helios at some point, though), so I can't give you an answer there. :(

I'm afraid I can't help you there. I've never used the Aklex (hell, I've never even used the Lex much iirc), and I don't use sentinels (I might get a Helios at some point, though), so I can't give you an answer there. :(

Well everyone in the in-game chat are suggesting I go for a Dethcube or Carrier sentinels first, so I think I'll be going for the dethcube.  

Well everyone in the in-game chat are suggesting I go for a Dethcube or Carrier sentinels first, so I think I'll be going for the dethcube.  

If youre having trouble getting control modules then ye go Dethcube, personally once i got my Carrier i stopped using my Dethcube though. And if you need control modules the void generally drops a bunch of them, much easier than the days when you had to farm raptor/hyena for them.

As for AKLex i cant speak for them specifically as i never used the Lex but assuming the accuracy is similar to the AKVasto, you wont lose too much accuracy at range as a result of getting the AK. That said however a lot of people refer to the Lex as the "sniping pistol" so it may be worth sticking to singular, especially if its already capable on it's own.

Edited by Jag272