The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Badlands Disappointment

Mythblaze

So, by it offering a challenge that's engaging and rewarding it's not end game? What exactly are you doubting? It's more or less player-generated invasion missions managed by clans/alliances.

I mean, what were you expecting? It seems like it's shaping up exactly how it's been advertised since its initial announcement.

Moving to General Feedback.

So, by it offering a challenge that's engaging and rewarding it's not end game? What exactly are you doubting? It's more or less player-generated invasion missions managed by clans/alliances.

I mean, what were you expecting? It seems like it's shaping up exactly how it's been advertised since its initial announcement.

yup.

Badlands from the first live stream it was announced has been portrayed as end game. This as end game is an insult and I will not support DE further. As Rebecca said in the post stream forums thread, "Codename Badlands: Endgame". Badlands is being rushed and the badlands is not end game, it is as you stated; player-generated invasions. 

Edited by Mythblaze

It's the initial implementation.

I think some of you genuinely struggle with the concept that this is a continually evolving product.

Because DE has a tendency to make Bad Things and leave them sitting for a long long time before fixing them. If they ever do.

To give examples, Volt is still underpowered, mod drops are still messed up beyond recognition, Eurasia is still an impassible roadblock for new players, and Miter is still trash (and still uses sniper ammo).

Badlands from the first live stream it was announced has been portrayed as end game. This as end game is an insult and I will not support DE further. As Rebecca said in the post stream forums thread, "Codename Badlands: Endgame". Badlands is being rushed and the badlands is not end game, it is as you stated; player-generated invasions. 

Ok, WTF is "endgame" and why does it get MMO dorks so hot and bothered?

It's important for the replayability of an MMO

When you earn all the mods and maxed them all with mastery 15 rank... what do you do to show for it? Endgame content

Warframe needs more, and DE is aware of it hence 2014 focus emphasis is endgame

Because end game is a term derived from MMO games. End game is supposed to be content that is offered at the end of a linear progression of a character. This content we call end game is supposed to be difficult, challenging, engaging and offer rewards for your hard work and time invested into clearing this content. 

Let me simplify this.

End Game = Content that is balanced for players with the best gear prior to entering the raid content. For Warframe it would be balanced for players with maxed mod cards and items with forma installed. Nothing offers a challenge and nothing certainly offers any engaging content that is balanced for players that are mastery rank 11/12 +.

I got the impression that it would take us to distant lands, let us meet exotic beings and kill them.

Seriously though, I was expecting content outside of the typical system map flow, such as a separate solar system. With a more demanding level range. 20-100 perhaps. Even if the tilesets were constant (which I honestly don't care much about), they could have expanded upon traps, unique defender enemies, tower destruction gametype etc.

That may all be in there for all we know.

I can see how it's an ongoing player controlled content mechanism but - unless you're engaging in the clan tribute aspect of it - it's just another invasion map.

There's always room to expand upon it.

I don't know about you, but allowing clans to compete over specific nodes and allowing player-generated grand-scale invasions seems and sounds pretty end-game-y to me. I mean, it's effectively event-class competition whenever clans/alliances want, not to mention it helps drive the Alliance mechanic.

Shame that you're not going to support them further, but I would like to ask... what do you think would be good endgame for Warframe?

And saying "A new solar system, enemy faction, etc" isn't endgame, because when you clear that, there's nothing left to do once more.

I don't know about you, but allowing clans to compete over specific nodes and allowing player-generated grand-scale invasions seems and sounds pretty end-game-y to me. I mean, it's effectively event-class competition whenever clans/alliances want, not to mention it helps drive the Alliance mechanic.

As I mentioned above, all it is is enhanced farming unless there's something radical in there we don't know about.  Endgame isn't about infinite farming.  It's about infinite play/challenge.

As I mentioned above, all it is is enhanced farming unless there's something radical in there we don't know about.  Endgame isn't about infinite farming.  It's about infinite play/challenge.

I don't really see how event-grade competition all the time is about infinite farming. The core of badlands doesn't appear to be the actual missions, it's the player-driven meta that will spring up as clans and alliances build their own towers and compete.

Strictly speaking, Gravidus was one of the most fun events we've ever had because of the meta, and its meta seems like it's going to be weaksauce next to Badlands' meta.

Plus, superior resource drops means less farming in general.

Beyond the clan dominance struggle, the areas the solar rails lead to are stated to have higher level enemies, with the resource/drop rates being higher to reward you for fighting them.

They've mentioned before that it'll be something like the challenge of a 40 minute survival or wave 40 defense, only immediately at that level. Sounds like an endgame challenge to me, especially in the outer planets.

I don't really see how event-grade competition all the time is about infinite farming. The core of badlands doesn't appear to be the actual missions, it's the player-driven meta that will spring up as clans and alliances build their own towers and compete.

Strictly speaking, Gravidus was one of the most fun events we've ever had because of the meta, and its meta seems like it's going to be weaksauce next to Badlands' meta.

Plus, superior resource drops means less farming in general.

The only reason for the competition is the deed to the toll booth separating players from enhanced farming.  I just don't see the excitement of conquests as lasting very long.  It'll be a novelty for a while and then things will stabilize and unless some clan decides to start charging outrageous prices, it'll stay that way.  Either that or it ends up at the other end of the spectrum where no one bothers to actually build up defenses because they'll be dethroned before they can recoup their investment.

It'll be introduced to the game on a knife's edge between the two.  Novelty will hold it there for a while, but after that, I very much expect it to fall to one side or the other.

I have thought about it a bit before the livestream tease, and a bit about it after words and have come up with a few basic questions.

Will the badlands offer any reward that would be reasonably useful to players in such a way as to encourage anyone to bother to pay the toll?  (Increased credits and resources are not worthwhile rewards)  (Rewards do not have to be unique to the badlands, but it certainly seems like something should be there)

Is there any true delay to the well established credit and resource over-encumbered player to just build more and more sky rails and constantly besiege just about every badlands node possible?  (There is a delay during a rail set up that allows players a chance to do the mission before someone contends a point, but if that is the only hurdle, then some clans will easily keep points locked down every moment that isn't just that short set up period)

Is there a limit to the "tax" that an alliance can set?  Do they really have a full choice as to what they want to do, or is the only limitation what they can get away with before other alliances contend their rail location?

Finally, is it really endgame if it's meant mostly for the competitive nature, because that can happen on the first day.  This is more like the content for clans and alliances that have more resources then they will ever use and the desire for bragging rights.  Though this is mostly just a sort of blown out of proportion opinion.

The badlands concept wasn't really shown to us, so we don't know just what will be available there.  We mostly just know a few hints, and what the skyrail system will be like.  We can only guess based off of very limited information, but some of the guesses might not aim very high.  The skyrail system does not encourage me to expect much, and the badlands hints that have floated around don't exactly seem encouraging.

It isn't a bad idea, but as some opinions have stated ever since they were first announced, "are they really going to improve the gameplay or the story?"