Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Overlooked Potential In Stances And How They Improve Gameplay

[DE]Momaw

I haven't got them all for comparison yet, but it seems like stances mostly just add a combo to what we already had going on.  A combo which is, frankly, most of the time irrelevant since they take too much time and finesse to pull off when hacking and spinning frantically gets the job done just fine.

But there are other ways that stances could affect our gameplay, what I am calling overlooked potential.   These are all things that stances COULD affect which would make them more distinct from eachother, and mesh seamlessly into the existing melee experience:

- Fatigue cost of blocking.  Maybe one stance is highly focused on defensive posture, and allows more survivability?

- Attack speed. The stances listed as being "fast" could actually be faster.

- Hit counter multiplier. Maybe one stance offers slow and methodical attacks but gives a higher counter multiplier instead?

- Hit counter decay rate mitigation. Maybe there's a stance that allows more time before your hits reset or even allow them to count down instead of just vanishing?

- Channeling multiplier. Maybe a stance is especially tailored for channeled attacking?

- Knockdown resistance/recovery. Maybe there's a stance that sacrifices damage output in favor of stability?

I've heard scott saying that some combos include various effects like high bleed or knockdown proc but that's pretty much about it. I haven't done the math but it would be cool if long combos would feature very high damage hits at the end to encourage us doing them.

I've heard scott saying that some combos include various effects like high bleed or knockdown proc but that's pretty much about it. I haven't done the math but it would be cool if long combos would feature very high damage hits at the end to encourage us doing them.

The problem is that you have at best 1 or 2 real combos per stance(tranquil got 3) or you can just mash e for basic "combo" and do most dmg that way.

Only interesting stance i found so far is seismic palm with its aoe attack but thats it, otherwise mashing e results in highest dmg output.

I could understand if these stances had more combos(5 at least) 1 opens enemy to "stealth" attack, other aoe stuns or knockdowns enemies, 3rd guarantees critical and bleed 4th designed to fight multiple enemies and 5th having extra dmg.

Edited by Davoodoo

Couldn't agree more.

I seriously think that there should be less complex combos, which are no brainers. For which, for the sake of simplicity, i am calling them "short combos", apposed to the "long combos" which we've got.

Short combos would be like these:

- when falling holding Es, makes an DIFFERENT areal attack, than the usual.
- while standing up from crouch, pressing E, will make an upward slash.

- Actually adding charge back as a short combo, it is short and effective.

These combos would exist simply to make sword fights feel more fluid, BUT they WOULDN'T deal as much damage as long combos.