Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Developing Melee 2.0

TunaMayo

We can all agree that melee 2.0 is good, but not perfect.

For me, and a few others I have talked to, using pauses in combat for combos is not optimal as it can be lag-dependent.

How about adding the reload key into the combo system? You can't reload when melee is being wielded, so why not utilise that key and use it in the combo system?

That way you could have the melee feeling more like a combo system, and less like morse code.

Taking it a step further, you could have the "e" key for quick light attacks, and the "r" key for slower heavy attacks. Not like the old chatge attacks however.

Anyones thoughts on this or how melee 2.0 could improve?

Please refrain from complaining about the RNG stance mods, I'm interested in melee 2.0 as a whole, not how lady RNG might be a fickle mistress.

Using the reload key or some other keybind would help to alleviate tow of the biggest problems I see with the combo system: Lag, and attack speed.  I love the system, but using a combo such as the reaping spiral (E-E-E-Pause-E-E) is really awkward, especially at higher attack speeds.  Great idea.

Or combos that require alternating channeling and  normal attacks?

And RNG is heartless

I did consider this, it would however require a rehaul of the channeling system to cause different strikes.

In terms of the channel system, I think perhaps simplicity is the best option.

Agreed. The combos with pauses are incredibly difficult to do on weapons such as Fang, and having to slow down just makes the combo worthless as you could just spam e to dish out more damage in the meantime.

Sounds good; I don't feel like this combo system really belongs in Warframe. Introducing the "R" key would probably make Melee 2.0 feel more original and less like a hassle.

Pressing R to throw my Glaive would be much more preferable to this somewhat unintentional Tap-Hold E thing.

1-button combos is worst thing. I would much prefer EE R M1 E than EE (nope) EEEEEEEE.

I'd also love a toggle for channel, and the combos don't give you anything extra. There's virtually no noticable bonus damage. The only thing stances currently offer is a new animation that gets old fast once you realize it slows you down half the time, and more mod points (aww yiss 70 points)

Allow me to shamelessly re-direct you here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/212182-melee-20-and-stances-what-it-should-have-been/

(I hope you can understand me not wanting to spit all of this out again as part of a response...) 

Your E/R combo suggestion is pretty good, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the feedback I've given as well. I was surprised when they didn't include light/heavy attacks between the E key and LMB like I expected them to. I think it'd be better not to diverge from the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE gameplay that melee ultimately is in Warframe. It's the format that fits the pace of the game best.