Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Feedback On The Glaive (Post 2.0)

Arkfall

Greeting Fellow Tenno and Devs!

TL;DR: The glave is in need of some modification to help it stay as a viable weapon, I would like that.

Also: a few bugs and suggestions.

So with the onset of Melee 2.0, Heavy Attack based Weapons got an arrow to the knee, pretty badly. the new Charge system is far more difficult to use then the old system (not in a good way in my opinion, but there is another post on that). This lead to a dramatic re-balancing on the old weapons, some of which was good, and other... not so much.

The Glave and Glave Prime are 2 weapons that got hit hard. Here is why:

1: No more Change Speed (I understand this was changed.)

2: No more Charge Damage (I do not know if tossing the glave uses its' Channeling Damage or not.)

3: Channeling is a massive pain in the &#! when trying to use the new "combo" system.

For an example, lets assume your in Melee stance (Melee weapon drawn and at the ready) and let's say you want to throw your Glave at a enemy. You need to swing once, and then press and hold your attack key which trigger a second swing and then you start to wind up your toss. This really needs to change back to just holding down the melee attack button, like it was in the old system even if you are in the new melee stance.

Another problem area once you toss the glave, you are left in Melee Stance with no quick access to your guns, or even blocking. I would suggest that once the glave is out of your hand, you go into a basic hand to hand fighting stance (think punching gloves without stances) until the Glave returns. This way, you are not left defenseless, similar to how your not defenseless in the old system( IE: quick access to your guns).

The next thing I'd like to talk about is the new explosion at the end of the glave's flight time. While I enjoy the kaboom and the feedback it provides (knowing if the glave is coming or going), the fact that the explosion can and does often kill you is a little condemning for the weapon. Honestly, I don't want the explosion if it is going to kill us, it take the fun out of the weapon and the Rebound mod (having a flying disk of doom ping-ponging all over the room is awesome, until it kills you too.) If I recall correctly, the explosion is our energy right? Why would it hurt us?

Another thing: Give us a toggle keybind for Channeling. Please?

Why does nobody remember Kestrel as a throwing weapon...?

Anyway, to post my own experience, it takes my potatoed, fully modded, level 30 Kestrel three hits to kill a level 1 Grineer Lancer, while my potatoed level 30 Dakra Prime with the same basic mods one-shots people as high as 15-20. Sure, the Kestrel is a throw-based weapon, but still.

As for throwing them in the melee stance, it has been mentioned that DE intends to make them able to be shot without the first strike, we just don't have that ability yet. Though it can never be too soon to get it.

For god sake, DE, make Glaive and Kestrel or any new throwable weapon double.

When we throw one, we still have one in hand, and can melee with it. (DPS reduction of course).

Agreed with the point of the OP that currently, Glaive or Kestrel aren't viable. Rework is needed for throwable weapons.

Edited by Yaer

I have a fully modded glaive with the stance and a catalyst and with it im going full melee 30 minutes into a T3 survival with no problem its plenty viable for damage and the only problem is the need to start a combo to throw it in melee mode.

The lack of a weapon when throwing a glaive or kestrel is the balancing factor to the ability to throw it as these weapons are the only type to be able to throw it would put them at an advantage to other melee's if it didn't have a drawback.

and for those wanting to have a toggle for channeling I don't understand why. If you kept channeling on for long enough to kill a crowd of enemies you would drain your entire energy pool in a couple of seconds its far better to only turn it on with certain hits to like heavy units which the current design is far better at.

I have a fully modded glaive with the stance and a catalyst and with it im going full melee 30 minutes into a T3 survival with no problem its plenty viable for damage and the only problem is the need to start a combo to throw it in melee mode.

The lack of a weapon when throwing a glaive or kestrel is the balancing factor to the ability to throw it as these weapons are the only type to be able to throw it would put them at an advantage to other melee's if it didn't have a drawback.

and for those wanting to have a toggle for channeling I don't understand why. If you kept channeling on for long enough to kill a crowd of enemies you would drain your entire energy pool in a couple of seconds its far better to only turn it on with certain hits to like heavy units which the current design is far better at.

lol what i channel the entire time and still have more then enough energy to spam tidal surge

Why does nobody remember Kestrel as a throwing weapon...?

Anyway, to post my own experience, it takes my potatoed, fully modded, level 30 Kestrel three hits to kill a level 1 Grineer Lancer, while my potatoed level 30 Dakra Prime with the same basic mods one-shots people as high as 15-20. Sure, the Kestrel is a throw-based weapon, but still.

As for throwing them in the melee stance, it has been mentioned that DE intends to make them able to be shot without the first strike, we just don't have that ability yet. Though it can never be too soon to get it.

Kestrel ftw.

Though kestrel was hit the hardest out of the 3 with this patch. Glaive and Glaive prime now both have higher base dmg.

And despite the dmg upgrade, their dmg is still a whole lot lower due to the loss of the charge mods.

Anyway just gonna post some related info:

-Power Throw now adds a rather large explosion effect to the last bounce, might not be intentional. As with all explosives, it can kill you as well.  

-Power Throw + Quick return means the glaive/glaive prime/kestrel explodes where aim, as long as it's not to far away.

-Kestrel's shorter range, lower base dmg, and the fact that explosions don't knock down enemies make it a pretty poor choice for the explosive build.

-Fury increases charge speed and spoiled strike lowers it. But it's only a 30% increase so it's not very useful imo.

And it just doesn't even come close to what most good melee weapons can now offer. Though i have to admit i don't have the stance yet. That might change it a bit, but the normal attack dmg is rather disappointing.