Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Most Optimal Way To Mod Melee Weapons

ss4chris

Question

so with a week since melee 2.0 has passed have people figured out the best way to mod your melee weapons?

Im torn between modding with killing blow and   corrupt charge for me channel dmg  since its a certain percentage of extra dmg onto your base dmg or another element mod and a slash/ impact/puncture mod of where the mod is specializes in. people on youtube say  another element mod and another dmg mod ends up the better result. would like more insight.

This is what I use for all things void and infested.

Been doing upwords of 100k stealth side attacks with Loki

HK2Nd8w.png

Why use Berserker when Fury adds the same amount without being Crit reliant while being the -exact same cost-. I'd take guaranteed 30% over 15~% chance at 30% any day.

It really makes no sense to me. I noticed Aishi doing this too.

Edited by Motakshi

Fury is bad except on slow weapons so you can start to stack crits for Berserker. 

Berserker stacks to 90% attack speed total.

True Steel on anything that's below 25% crit, especially with a low crit multiplier like 2x is absolute garbage. Take it off.

Optimal builds, not your make-believe "really good" builds. Numbers do not lie.

Fury is bad except on slow weapons so you can start to stack crits for Berserker. 

True Steel on anything that's below 25% crit, especially with a low crit multiplier like 2x is absolute garbage. Take it off.Optimal builds, not your make-believe "really good" builds. Numbers do not lie.

I wasn't aware that Berserker stacked. That makes a lot more sense now.

Why use Berserker when Fury adds the same amount without being Crit reliant while being the -exact same cost-. I'd take guaranteed 30% over 15~% chance at 30% any day.

It really makes no sense to me. I noticed Aishi doing this too.

Because Berserker stacks up to 3 times. 15% crit chance is actually enough, when you consider the D. Nikana's range/AOE.

If it helps, I'm in the damage boat over channeling myself. I'm a fan of showing though. Do note when considering this it is about damage per hit for me, not damage per second (thus no fury anywhere). And this is using a non crit weapon, the process is very different for those.

Machete Wraith vs Level 25 Elite Lancer.

Format:

#normal damage(#channel damage)|#maxchannel calculated(as I don't use Killing Blow at 120% but at 100%, I know how to calculate it in to just save questions on that)

All have the same six base mods (Spoiled Strike 100%, Pressure Point 100%, Molten Impact 60%, Voltaic Strike 60%, Virulent Scourge 60%, and North Wind 50%).The only differences will be in adding more channeling, more electricity, and/or Smite Grineer. Which "appears" to be best?

First build - 100% Killing Blow,+50% Shocking Touch

518(1037)|1088

HLSvgcT.jpg

vXKuAeo.jpg

4q8ZJso.jpg

Second build - Smite Grineer 30%, 50% Shocking Touch

672(1010)|1088

CwGSGTl.jpg

lUpuc5F.jpg

ga5Uc6O.jpg

Third Build - +200% channeling (Killing Blow 100% and Corrupt Charge 100%)

421(1055)|1095

KzaB3WT.jpg

S4j5McS.jpg

epJoXJg.jpg

Fourth Build - Smite Grineer, 30% +100% Channeling

546(1095)|1147

2cOEKiV.jpg

gABkSwp.jpg

ix59zmb.jpg

Personally, I'd be partial to the second build. The top channeling damage award (in these tests) goes to the fourth build. But it comes at a cost of losing 100 damage off of regular attacks. However, neither is useful for the void if the wiki is correct in corrupt factions don't take extra damage from the faction mods. I do feel Focus Energy replacing Smite Grineer would provide a similar result though, however at time of writing I lack that and Fever Strike so that will have to just remain a theory.

Edited by NegimaSonic

True Steel on anything that's below 25% crit, especially with a low crit multiplier like 2x is absolute garbage. Take it off.

Fury isn't bad lol.

If it helps, I'm in the damage boat over channeling myself. I'm a fan of showing though. Do note when considering this it is about damage per hit for me, not damage per second (thus no fury anywhere). And this is using a non crit weapon, the process is very different for those.

Machete Wraith vs Level 25 Elite Lancer.

Format:

#normal damage(#channel damage)|#maxchannel calculated(as I don't use Killing Blow at 120% but at 100%, I know how to calculate it in to just save questions on that)

All have the same six base mods (Spoiled Strike 100%, Pressure Point 100%, Molten Impact 60%, Voltaic Strike 60%, Virulent Scourge 60%, and North Wind 50%).The only differences will be in adding more channeling, more electricity, and/or Smite Grineer. Which "appears" to be best?

First build - 100% Killing Blow,+50% Shocking Touch

518(1037)|1088

HLSvgcT.jpg

vXKuAeo.jpg

4q8ZJso.jpg

Second build - Smite Grineer 30%, 50% Shocking Touch

672(1010)|1088

CwGSGTl.jpg

lUpuc5F.jpg

ga5Uc6O.jpg

Third Build - +200% channeling (Killing Blow 100% and Corrupt Charge 100%)

421(1055)|1095

KzaB3WT.jpg

S4j5McS.jpg

epJoXJg.jpg

Fourth Build - Smite Grineer, 30% +100% Channeling

546(1095)|1147

2cOEKiV.jpg

gABkSwp.jpg

ix59zmb.jpg

Personally, I'd be partial to the second build. The top channeling damage award (in these tests) goes to the fourth build. But it comes at a cost of losing 100 damage off of regular attacks. However, neither is useful for the void if the wiki is correct in corrupt factions don't take extra damage from the faction mods. I do feel Focus Energy replacing Smite Grineer would provide a similar result though, however at time of writing I lack that and Fever Strike so that will have to just remain a theory.

some interesting numbers to look at. thanks 

berseker is only good on weapons like ichors and dual zorens with high crit. other than that Fury is the way to go for  most  builds. IN addition to the attack speed it seems most weapons in exception to the heavy heapens liek fragor and galatine have that " zoren copter" effct now.

Anything that can maintain Berserker stacks is better off using it instead of Fury. 

The way I choose to look at it is I need one crit before killing as many enemies as I can reach in 24 seconds. To be safe, I want to assume ~3 seconds of running between enemies, amd lets math for 2 crits so we've got a safe margin.

~4 secs per enemy, 24 secs total is 6 enemies, or ~6-12 hits, so we'd need a crit chance of at least 15% to want to use Berserker on a fastish weapon, and at least 30% (25% would work) to use it on a slower weapon. 

So basically only the higher crit stat weapons work out well with Berserker. And anything when using Ash/Loki/Excal as the stealth hits will set off the proc.

2 things to consider

1) When enemy starved, you will lose the buff, meaning you're hitting slower and its harder to get it back. You'll also be coptering less far.

2) 3 stacks of +30% attack speed is 50.4% attack speed in total, and testing I've done supports this. Berserker actually interacts with Fury to get a higher bonus with subsequent procs - Fury and Berserker together is ~+101% attack speed with 3 procs.

Edited by Darzk

Anything that can maintain Berserker stacks is better off using it instead of Fury. 

The way I choose to look at it is I need one crit before killing as many enemies as I can reach in 24 seconds. To be safe, I want to assume ~3 seconds of running between enemies, amd lets math for 2 crits so we've got a safe margin.

~4 secs per enemy, 24 secs total is 6 enemies, or ~6-12 hits, so we'd need a crit chance of at least 15% to want to use Berserker on a fastish weapon, and at least 30% (25% would work) to use it on a slower weapon. 

So basically only the higher crit stat weapons work out well with Berserker. And anything when using Ash/Loki/Excal as the stealth hits will set off the proc.

2 things to consider

1) When enemy starved, you will lose the buff, meaning you're hitting slower and its harder to get it back. You'll also be coptering less far.

2) 3 stacks of +30% attack speed is 50.4% attack speed in total, and testing I've done supports this. Berserker actually interacts with Fury to get a higher bonus with subsequent procs - Fury and Berserker together is ~+101% attack speed with 3 procs.

you would need the weapon to have  a crit around 30-40 for even berserker to be considered.

@ss4chris

Just a tip:

When the polarities don't match, try to put mods with the lowest points into those slots.

The penalty you get from non-mathing polarities scales up with the points cost.

For example, in your case, Molten Impact gets a penalty of 3 points, because it's an 11 points mod. So switching Voltaic Strike and Molten Impact will spare you 1 point while keeping the same elemental build.

In your case, that 1 point will allow you to replace a 7 points mod with an 11 points mod. For example, the Jagged Edge could be replaced by Shocking Touch.

@ss4chris

Just a tip:

When the polarities don't match, try to put mods with the lowest points into those slots.

For example, in your case, Molten Impact gets a penalty of 3 points, because it's an 11 points mod. So switching Voltaic Strike and Molten Impact will spare you 1 point while keeping the same elemental build.

In your case, that 1 point will allow you to replace a 7 points mod with an 11 points mod. For example, the Jagged Edge could be replaced by Shocking Touch.

it doesn't really matter since he still fit his whole build

also i think he already knows that

@ss4chris

Just a tip:

would a  another element be more beneficial or  my jagged edge since its geared towards slash dmg the dragon nikana.

would a  another element be more beneficial or  my jagged edge since its geared towards slash dmg the dragon nikana.

You'll be better off using another elemental mod, rather than Jagged Edge, even if the elemental mod only adds 60%.

There are 2 reasons why.

1. The Jagged Edge only boosts the slash damage, while an elemental mod gets its boost from all 3 types. Also, as you know, the Jagged Edge won't boost your total elemental damage, unlike the pure raw damage mods, such as pressure point, spoiled strike. It only boosts the slash damage.

2. Grineers have a high resistance against slash damage, while non against the radiation damage. You even get a 75% boost against some units.

In short, you can go for Slash mods againt Infested, but I wouldn't take those against Grineer.

you would need the weapon to have  a crit around 30-40 for even berserker to be considered.

Considered? By 30-40% its obviously superior. I literally just showed you how at 15-25% it's about equal to Fury and becomes a personal choice.

It's a gamblers mod - potential for larger increases for shorter periods of time while fighting, but just a potential.

And yeah, Jagged Edge is generally not good, I'd only use it if short on mod points. Slash damage is weak against all but Infested, considering the elemental options available. Even then, I'd prefer Corrosive as the base Slash is enough to deal with lesser Infested.

Edited by Darzk

Considered? By 30-40% its obviously superior. I literally just showed you how at 15-25% it's about equal to Fury and becomes a personal choice.

It's a gamblers mod - potential for larger increases for shorter periods of time while fighting, but just a potential.

And yeah, Jagged Edge is generally not good, I'd only use it if short on mod points. Slash damage is weak against all but Infested, considering the elemental options available. Even then, I'd prefer Corrosive as the base Slash is enough to deal with lesser Infested.

you didnt show anything credible to  be honest lol.

You'll be better off using another elemental mod, rather than Jagged Edge, even if the elemental mod only adds 60%.

There are 2 reasons why.

1. The Jagged Edge only boosts the slash damage, while an elemental mod gets its boost from all 3 types. Also, as you know, the Jagged Edge won't boost your total elemental damage, unlike the pure raw damage mods, such as pressure point, spoiled strike. It only boosts the slash damage.

2. Grineers have a high resistance against slash damage, while non against the radiation damage. You even get a 75% boost against some units.

In short, you can go for Slash mods againt Infested, but I wouldn't take those against Grineer.

alright thanks for the great info. appreciate it.

berseker is only good on weapons like ichors and dual zorens with high crit. other than that Fury is the way to go for  most  builds. IN addition to the attack speed it seems most weapons in exception to the heavy heapens liek fragor and galatine have that " zoren copter" effct now.

I thought berserker was good for melee frames like Ash, Loki and Excalibur. So if you use the weapon with multiple frames, maybe one with Fury and one with Berserker for the aforementioned frames.