Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore Question

ZydrateAnatomy

I don't know a lot about the lore other than snippets here and there. (Like how the Tenno are basically re-awaked humans? Basically?)

But I was just wondering. I attempted to play this game a few months ago and my experience was mostly just shooting and killing Grineer, all the time.

I come back a few weeks ago (And haven't stopped much since) and find that I can basically work FOR them? For credits? Sweet, juicy credits. 

I'm just wondering why this is a thing lorewise. Are Tenno for hire, now?

And there's some kind of theme of "maintaining the balance" going on as well (but that's an afterthought for most players in-game, and lore-wise I'm not a supporter of it). I prefer to look at it as: we need resources, too. After all, we've started to reclaim large chunks of the galaxy for ourselves - we've got Orokin artifact Dig Sites (see Lotus' quotes about Ruk) and more recently we've set up Solar Rail networks - those things don't come cheap.

And there's some kind of theme of "maintaining the balance" going on as well (but that's an afterthought for most players in-game, and lore-wise I'm not a supporter of it). I prefer to look at it as: we need resources, too. After all, we've started to reclaim large chunks of the galaxy for ourselves - we've got Orokin artifact Dig Sites (see Lotus' quotes about Ruk) and more recently we've set up Solar Rail networks - those things don't come cheap.

A fairly real answer in comparison to the other two (As of typing this). I like this.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to actually roleplay but this is useful intel to have.

This started with the event "The Gradivus Dilemma." Alad V defied a contract with the Grineer by secretly discovering multiple Tenno in cryosleep and planned to go behind the Grineer's backs and exploit these disabled Tenno as a contribution to his project, the Zanuka Project. After Sargas Ruk heard about this breach of contract, he started leading an army of Grineer after Alad V and the Corpus to stop this. Lotus told us she is choosing no side, and she would leave it up to all individual Tenno to choose who to support: Sargas Ruk to save the fellow Tenno, or Alad V to stop the Grineer from overpowering the Corpus and consequently sacrificing the Tenno that were captured.

Now, the forces of Corpus and Grineer occasionally grow powerful enough to invade the ships and bases of each other, as would happen in an actual war. They offer payment to Tenno to support them, trying to sway our decision. We're not really for hire per se, but deciding who should be winning these mini-wars to keep a balance in the system while we gain profit ourselves. We constantly switch sides, though, so we are loyal to no one. Tenno, I'm sure, loathe both Corpus and Grineer equally, but we cannot simply let one take over or be entirely wiped out. Plus, with the resources we get, we can grow stronger and counter against both sides anyway.

Basically we're taking matters into our own hands to control the solar system how we see fit.