Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De - Let's Talk: The Infested :)

Sirabot

I say this because I care. I'm not trying to bash or be venomous. I promise.

I feel that most of the models of the infested no longer have synergy. In my opinion, they were conceived to be frightening, and while their sound FX does lean toward this, their color palette and models are laughable and their placement in the game is rather nonsensical at times.

I'm going to cover a few points that are subjective I'm sure, but this is feedback after all. I also wonder if the DE team is happy with the the state of the infested and if they do in fact reflect a final product.

-Too Colorful, Not enough Gore, Not discomforting, comical in their animations and abilities. They are not frightening in any way. yet their sound effects suggest that they should be or were intended to be.

-Mutations of Ancients (art style and theme) are vastly different than the mutations of other lesser infested and even in greater infested such as Lephantus.

-Corrupted ancients in the Orokin Levels makes no sense as the infested are diseased and contagious. Even if the orokin influence affected them, why are there no other types of infested in the Orokin voids? I ask this because they're a hive mind and travel in diverse groups. Also, what are they doing in the void anyway? It's not like they had anything to gain by attempting to invade/infest the void.

-This point covers enemy diversity and ability. I'm not trying to be rude here, but so many of these enemy units are just reskins. The reason that is an issue with this particular faction is that they are mutations. All of them mutating in the  exact same ways. Crawlers being a good example of this. There are so many different type of Crawlers, and not a single one of them posses any threat to the player.

-Infested are by far one of the most interesting factions in the game but I feel they are grossly neglected and their potential squandered.

Infested Leapers existed only to knock players down from vantage points. All of the infested can now jump which makes this enemy unit's presence useless. Not to mention their tracking can only hit you if you're standing still.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

-My Suggestions

-Solidify a theme for the infested. They are either Cthulhu inspired monsters of deep space or they are the twisted mutated bodies of former living beings of all factions (Tenno included right?) that are born of the spores we see in their mission types.

Go horror of go home. If they're not frightening and unnerving then they aren't living up to their potential. This needs to be a global concept for the infested. They shouldn't drop ammo as they do not carry weapons. Getting close to them should be a risk. The only current enemies in the game that promote this type of awareness are The Ancient disruptor and Toxic ancient. I believe this theme of being afraid to get close should be persistent across all infested.

This might be where I lose credibility but I point to dead space - Singular theme across all enemies inspires believability. Knowing that each one is dangerous in a unique way inspires fear and dread. Seeing them in large numbers inspires panic and promotes resourcefulness. 

Also, I find it difficult to believe that you guys have any solid lore cooked up for the infested yet because of all the points above. I've also given some thought to DE steve mentioning that new factions were coming this year. I would first like to see the Infested theme solidified in the universe first so that they can become a foundation for proper lore.

- Links to other recent infested feedback topics

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/219649-infested-fighting-isnt-as-interesting/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/219829-i-know-youre-working-on-it-de-but-the-infested-are-too-weak/

Edited by Sirabot

Agreed OP, the Infested are by the far the least attended to of the factions. I started playing in U7, and the only worthwhile updates I've seen the infested get was a visual overhaul for Ancients, a slight buff to crawlers (still the weakest enemies ever), and Lephantis. It's really sad to see them put on the back-burner for so long seeing as they're the most malleable faction in the game, and have so much more potential other than just being zombies and XP farms.

At the very least I would love to see more consistency among their designs. As you said, right now all there is is Ancient-squid monsters and reskins of Corpus zombies, without no variants or visible signs of progressing mutation. We need Light, Mid-Tier, and Heavy infested, each of which is more mutated than the last and visibly displays the transformation from a mound of diseased flesh into a sleek, evolved Cthulu-ling.

NO FLYING OR GLIDING ENEMY OF ANY TIME

NO RANGE BS (aoe is fine if it small)

GIVE US A PLANET WITH INFECTED ONLY (anyone missed Cyath/Xini)

I see no issue with either one of those, if done right. Also, new Infested tile-set coming soon, so there's hope yet.

Also, maybe an infested event some time. So far all events have only involved Corpus and Grineer.

I would hope so too, but not before the above mentioned issues are taken into account. The infested need to be more than they are. Right now they're just... Let me say it this way, The Infested as a faction do not fall into the same level of quality as the rest of the game at this moment.

If any of you has ever played UFO: Aftermath... That game had some creepy and scary-looking creatures. The flying creature Danglefly was a rather interesting experience to fight against, Blowfish not so much as it was a bit cheap.

keep the infested as they are (but remove the energy leech aura -_-)

and add a new frightening cthuluh faction where one single enemy will really frighten you :D

And dare I ask why you rather them to stay as they are? when it's clear that both corpus and grineer have received extensive upgrades? Remove energy leech aura takes away an "oh S#&$" moment; which again, removes player stimulation.

I'm seeing a lot more threads about the infested crop up. All within the last 4 days in fact. Guess I wasn't the only one feeling it. A shame these threads aren't getting any recognition. DE will do what's best for their game I suppose. It's the not knowing that's killing me. lol

Anyways, More links to other feedback threads about the infested.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/219649-infested-fighting-isnt-as-interesting/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/219829-i-know-youre-working-on-it-de-but-the-infested-are-too-weak/

Also Adding to OP

Edited by Sirabot