Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Melee Weapon Idle Stance

Aaryl

When you 'equip' the Galatine by holding F, Galatine grip seems very wrong....Holding that giant, long and heavy sword with one hand vertically UP....

I think Warframes should hold it with two hands or lean it to their chest-shoulder....

I can agree, same with the gram. It looks wrong, although it is in fact a practical way to carry a heavy sword with one hand and not hurt your self. However both the the gram and galatine have a flat edge and warframes are well armored, so having them rested across the shoulders would be even more practical.

Also when resting a heavy longsword on the shoulder you can use it to get a good start when swinging as you can use the blades spring to bounce it off your shoulder and get it moving, reducing force required by the wrist.

needs to be changed.

Swords resting on the shoulder should work out fine but not so sure about Jat Kittag. I trust that they will work out a good (or at least better) solution if they are to change this silly pose, though.

Edited by Bitfly

Is it me or, is the way the heavy sword are held a little odd? It look good on heavier characters but on lighter characters, its a little off putting.

A little example below:

WSPWNml.jpg

AMHU9UL.jpg

I find that this idle stance does no make it seem like there's any real weight on the sword. The attacking animations are good though.

Maybe it would look better if:

1)Holding Via Shoulder: It a very overdone pose but it does the job and it makes it look like there a lot of weight on the sword since the person has to use not only the arm but his shoulder to get enough leverage. A good example would be this:

Berserker.png

Guts.full.1288988.jpg

If anyone whose reading this watched "berserk" the main protagonist is huge and ripped. But in the parts where he is young, he is much less built and is holding the sword the same way. And it still looks good.

Another good example is a screen cap from dark souls.

c81a75e8059153e3.jpg

I think the shoulder idea would be good but another solution would be to let each character hold the sword with both hands. The 1 handed thing would only work if there is support with the shoulder. I feel that it would be better to do the shoulder thing or a two handed pose.

2) Dragging it would be cool if....: While running with a heavy sword there would be dragging. Basically the player would hold the sword backwards facing the ground. The tip would be dragging along the ground. (Now this is where physX can come in) Maybe we can put a spark trail as the sword is being dragged along the ground:

A game that did this is gears of war 3, and i have to say the running animation was 10x better than the actually killing people with the weapon.

3) The swoosh, it'd be pretty bad &#! if when you take out your heavy melee weapon, you do this super swoosh.

So lets say the weapon is on your back, when you switch to your heavy sword, your character does this sort of flicking motion. And because of that motion you can see the air blast from the weapon. Maybe on some warframes, like volt would have an electric swoosh, and ember would have a fire swoosh.

how-to-draw-skyward-sword-skyward-sword-

Edited by TraparDensity

You don't say... kinda kills my post so I'll just edit it into something meaningless and boring that no one will notice

That's the spirit!

Also, Feedback is not about your post getting noticed, it's about the topic getting noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know about everyone else but i feel like it looks really lame (or just broring maybe its just me)right now

i was thinking i would look cooler along the line of this

sorry for my noobishness i cant find a the right way of adding picture on forum and im a vet player -_-

XJtwQUd.png

or 

smite-b.jpg

Edited by Noogums
Fixed image links

I agree, the holding animation is terrible. I feel like they thought the weapon was too popular and they needed to make it garbage and look terrible so people would use other weapons. I really hope that they go for the over the shoulder or dragging behind you look, it gives the weapon a feeling of weight and power.

Edited by ShadowDragon000

Yeah, the Gala, Gram, and Jat Kitagg are fairly eh when holding them. Something along the lines of how the Fragor and Scindo are held, that'd be good. We just need a way so the Gala doesn't clip through the floor.

I agree, the holding animation is terrible. I feel like they thought the weapon was too popular and they needed to make it garbage and look terrible so people would use other weapons. That or they just have a terrible animator and he should be ashamed.

You mean the guys that made all of the stance movements?

All of them. Think about it.

So here's how I think this can be solved:

Default standing grip should be the same as the one in the idling animation.

For Double edged weapons(excluding axes), default standing grip should be the same as the one in the idling animation.

walking grip should be the same as standing grip, running should be holding the sword to the side, downward and slightly behind you, sprinting grip should hold the weapon even more behind you( somewhat similar to the nikana default, except not close to your body).

For Single edged weapons (including double edged axes), default standing should be an on the shoulder stance, same for walking, running and sprinting could be the same for above(can't think of a different way to hold an axe. Overhead might look way too stupid).

As for when these changes will happen and if they will even happen at all (they should!!).... Well, all i can say is I had been waiting for melee 2.0 since the main features (excluding channeling) were suggested in closed beta! I have yet to see the dual wield single pistol and one handed melee that is in almost every warframe poster too.

Edited by dragonboss