Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon.

SoulDust

Here's the thing about Oberon:

1) All of his abilities rely on flat damage values, suffering from damage falloff past mid-level content; those that deal damage rely on the unusual combination of Radiation/Impact damage, which really is only useful against Corpus robots.

Impact damage sucks but makes his skills OK against Corpus.  Radiation damage is useful since it is the only thing that's effective against Alloy but the Impact portion of the damage makes the end result mediocre regardless.  

Generally I avoid suggesting abilities be replaced whole-cloth

Your points about a proc-mitigator make a lot of sense, but I think Renewal is the most appropriate skill for that feature to be applied to, being a healing, 75 energy ability. Allies under the effect of Renewal would get a medium heal and protection from procs in the duration?

Either that, or allies standing on Hallowed Ground would be immune to procs, creating a zone for Oberon and allies to 'stand and fight', as it were.

Agreed, I usually try for the same but sometimes it's a lose all or win all situation in terms of Warframe skills.  In this case, I'm currently only seeing one or the other.  Archie's post above is basically a redundant statement of a "state of Oberon" rather than here are the things that need to be changed.  This is a perfect example of why we as players, you and I, are attempting to give incite into what can be changed, we're already past the point of understanding the limitations, so here's some suggestions take them or leave them--preferably the former.

*chuckle*

I'd love to put a proc-mitigator on Renewal if Scott, Steve, or anyone else can find the time to do it right.  What I'm seeing however is that Renewal like you mentioned earlier is just not combating enough against incoming damage.  A straight heal and then an additional heal over time (as it currently is) would help as a buffer in this case.  However, to really put Oberon on the map giving him the skillset to live up to his "paladin-mystic" marketing would be much more beneficial.  We don't want to get rid of a healing skill necessarily, we just want to have a group benefit and one that hasn't been seen before that can be specific to this 'frame.  This then, would essentially take Oberon down to 2 dmg based skills and 2 group based skills.  Much more paladin-mystic like!  

Therefore I'd suggest taking out Hallowed Ground for the shield/mitigator, I think the mitigation shield should be on a separate duration base (or even strength based) skill line up than Renewal.  Let's face it, even if we made Hallowed Ground a zone for allies, it would only be useful in the context of a defined area; essentially, we'd see it used in defense missions.  You and I both know how much movement there is in this game which makes something as static as Hallowed Ground and Snow Globe on Frost extremely situational.  Even if you maxed the "ground" with range mods like Stretch, it wouldn't be a large enough range with the amount of melee-movement/running amongst the tile sets. It's just so extremely limited in scale and shape.

So here's some additional skill thoughts:

#1 Smite) Add some puncture/proc to its function, sure, why not.

#2 Hallowed Ground) Rename to Hallowed Shield or something like that should you change the skill altogether.  Make it a team-based mitigation shield which has duration and/or a health pool like rhino's iron skin for its base longevity.  

#3 Renewal) Grant a base Health heal and then an additional heal over time as it currently is.

#4 Reckoning)  Leave as is, this is not a skill with problems, it like most Warframe skills is only inhibited by its dmg fall off in higher level instances.

#5 Boost Oberon's base armor value, not just a little bit, make it bring a smile to player's faces when they think "paladin".  Besides Valkyr, Rhino and Frost have the highest values for armor, yet they both have an additional "shield", why not give something comparable, say 200 base armor?  We all know it also has a large drop off in mitigation as it is, so it won't hurt to throw that on him.  This will make him Oberon the mitigator.  Sound savvy?  *wink* 

Therefore I'd suggest taking out Hallowed Ground for the shield/mitigator, I think the mitigation shield should be on a separate duration base (or even strength based) skill line up than Renewal.  Let's face it, even if we made Hallowed Ground a zone for allies, it would only be useful in the context of a defined area; essentially, we'd see it used in defense missions.  You and I both know how much movement there is in this game which makes something as static as Hallowed Ground and Snow Globe on Frost extremely situational.  Even if you maxed the "ground" with range mods like Stretch, it wouldn't be a large enough range with the amount of melee-movement/running amongst the tile sets. It's just so extremely limited in scale and shape.

I'm actually not so sure about this, but I should clarify. I've changed my stance on Renewal and HG.

In my mind Hallowed Ground as a mitigator would not only stop procs from affecting allies standing on it, but also cure them of existing procs when they enter it. 'How' the skill is cast fits this thematically - Oberon tosses down a strip of Hallowed Ground either atop his enemies, burning them, or onto his allies, giving them respite, and any allies nearby only have to run/slide across it to be instantly cleansed.

Between that and a buffed up Renewal Oberon could be really good at helping reinforce chokepoints and sustained fighting in hectic survivals, or even covering retreats by slapping HG over the exit to heal allies as they abandon you to the Napalms whose ire you have drawn. It'd also make him amazing in Defense, of course. It can be a quick cleanse or a zone to stand or fight, and would reward teams that stick close together (screw rushers, lol), but it wouldn't have the same impact on movement that Snow Globe has. Snow Globe is a shield you must be standing behind, whereas HG would be much more flexible in use.

Hallowed Ground would still be situational, like Snow Globe, but even as fast paced as the game is, Snow Globe is still really useful in normal play as a quick breather to kill a group of enemies and then leave behind. The situations in which you'd need a proc mitigator are generally ones where you're standing and fighting groups of enemies anyway -- and if HG prevented CC like blast and knockdown as well, oh my.

Hallowed Ground needs a bigger AoE no matter what happens, at any rate, but basically I think the game has need for more skills that encourage teamwork or changes how we interact with the battlefield when we are forced to stop and fight.

And good lord I am all over giving Oberon 200 armor.

So basically,

#1~ Yeah, and radiation proc because that's random enough (wouldn't be a copy of Mind Control)

#2~ Only point I disagree with you on a bit, my vote's to make Hallowed Ground heal procs when people stand on it

#3~ Actually yes, making it a base heal and then heal over time works cool for me too. Just do something to make it a stronger mitigator/heal.

#4~ Agreed, really. Ability damage needs a relook.

#5~ You have my axe :X

(A further thought on procs, they're different from healing. You hit Renewal when you see allies taking health damage, but unless you're directly looking at allies and see them on fire it's difficult to tell when they're affected by procs. That's kind of why I think instead of it being an aura you have to upkeep even when it might not be needed, tossing down a very visible lightshow on the ground could just be a simpler way to let allies heal at their leisure as they move around the battlefield. Hitting 'HG' in chat could be enough to indicate it's need)

Edited by Varzy

In my mind Hallowed Ground as a mitigator would not only stop procs from affecting allies standing on it, but also cure them of existing procs when they enter it. 'How' the skill is cast fits this thematically - Oberon tosses down a strip of Hallowed Ground either atop his enemies, burning them, or onto his allies, giving them respite, and any allies nearby only have to run/slide across it to be instantly cleansed.

Between that and a buffed up Renewal Oberon could be really good at helping reinforce chokepoints and sustained fighting in hectic survivals, or even covering retreats by slapping HG over the exit to heal allies as they abandon you to the Napalms whose ire you have drawn. It'd also make him amazing in Defense, of course. It can be a quick cleanse or a zone to stand or fight, and would reward teams that stick close together (screw rushers, lol), but it wouldn't have the same impact on movement that Snow Globe has. Snow Globe is a shield you must be standing behind, whereas HG would be much more flexible in use.

Hallowed Ground would still be situational, like Snow Globe, but even as fast paced as the game is, Snow Globe is still really useful in normal play as a quick breather to kill a group of enemies and then leave behind. The situations in which you'd need a proc mitigator are generally ones where you're standing and fighting groups of enemies anyway -- and if HG prevented CC like blast and knockdown as well, oh my.

Hallowed Ground needs a bigger AoE no matter what happens, at any rate, but basically I think the game has need for more skills that encourage teamwork or changes how we interact with the battlefield when we are forced to stop and fight.

And good lord I am all over giving Oberon 200 armor.

So basically,

#1~ Yeah, and radiation proc because that's random enough (wouldn't be a copy of Mind Control)

#2~ Only point I disagree with you on a bit, my vote's to make Hallowed Ground heal procs when people stand on it

#3~ Actually yes, making it a base heal and then heal over time works cool for me too. Just do something to make it a stronger mitigator/heal.

#4~ Agreed, really. Ability damage needs a relook.

#5~ You have my axe :X

I like your idea!  Mine is more based on the movement I see in most every mission with players, where I thought laying down a small strip was too static and too situational.  This still is the case, but I can work with either possibility should it be employed.  However, your idea is valid and I think would work well too.  I would add that HG would still be made into a "sticky tar" for CC effect should enemies walk onto it, while at the same time have the proc/mitigator effect for allies thereon.  This would really put Oberon in a good place as a Warframe, and benefit the group, he really needs these changes, 1 through 5 indeed.

If you have my axe, then you have my bow!  xD

The only reason I play Oberon is because I can make him rudolph. Lot's of better frames, but you can't beat his style.

This.   I love his whole "deer" aesthetic, and I think the description of him as a "paladin" isn't quite accurate. 

Guaranteed radiation proc could be good, and needs slow effect  on H Ground ofcourse.  It wont be OP in any way, but at least would make Oberon a bit more viable past mid-levels.

200 armor is ~40% mitigation of damage on health, combined with a healing skill its pretty strong

Edited by Monolake

After racking like 50 of each of Oberon's parts, I finally decided to make him. I'd say I'm not too thrilled about it either. Maybe I'm just looking it at it all wrong or perhaps this is a shared feeling.

1st: Is basically Nekros's soul punch with a not so good after impact effect

2nd: only good for low level defense, or maybe even infested runs. At higher levels it probably won't even do much damage. Afaik, it has no stun or cc utility. 

3rd: a heal that might come to late, or heal too slowly. No better than a trinity, or a mag's shield polarize. And you generally can't count on the heal to make much of a difference.

4th: Only "cc" skill on the frame, I'm not sure how the damage racks against higher levels yet. The fact that it drops health orbs upon killing something, doesn't quite impress me either.

So basically, I'm assuming there's really no point in playing oberon, other than liking his deer like helmets. As an overall frame, I feel as if it was rushed or not completely thought out. Or am I wrong

1st is actually kinda worse soul punch has a small AoE stun.

2nd i wish it would be given slow effect to stack would use too much energy rather use the 4th.

3rd wish it healed faster but can still be useful overall when there's not a single trinity healing anyone 

4th stops and then knocks down everything which gives either easy prey or breathing space i like this one.

and i would rather use the Oryx helm and feel like a dragon.

its main problem is that it is a balanced frame in a game where everyone only goes after OP but it can hold his own

Guaranteed radiation proc could be good, and needs slow effect  on H Ground ofcourse.  It wont be OP in any way, but at least would make Oberon a bit more viable past mid-levels.

200 armor is ~40% mitigation of damage on health, combined with a healing skill its pretty strong

The 200 armor or so (maybe more) would be exactly what we're looking for, a boost to his survivability as a Frame with the mystic-paladin title only makes sense here.  This would effectively give 420 max armor to Oberon if you added a max Steel Fiber on him. This would in turn grant a net 58% (with Steel Charge maxed) on Oberon, only 1% more than what Frost and Rhino currently have, except they already have an overshield of some sort as a skill.  200 armor is reasonable, his advantage would still be in the skills that Varzy and I provided above as possible options to make Oberon viable in a team, and an excellent source of mitigation, which is much needed.

~Tenno out.