Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] By The Sword

Kalenath

Stalker versus the Chosen? No comment.

You reap what you sow

“I don’t care who you are!” Nemesis snapped, jumping to her feet. “This isn’t real!”

“Well, duh.” Nadia said with a smirk. “Not the brightest of bulbs, are you?”

“This is intolerable!” Nemesis snapped, focusing her mind, but she couldn’t hear the hivemind. She couldn’t access any of her minions or the other Chosen. The Master likewise, didn’t seem to be listening. “What have you done?” She demanded.

“I sequestered you so we could talk for a moment.” Nadia said mildly. Nemesis readied herself and Nadia sighed. “And… before you do anything dumb…” She raised a hand and Nemesis was suddenly three or so meters in the air, hanging over empty space. “You like the view from up there?” Nadia asked snidely. “I can show you what it looks like from a thousand meters.”

“Ok.” Nemesis forced herself to calm. “You have power. You are still dead.”

“Yes.” Far from cowed, Nadia actually nodded. “Yes, I am. The thing is… I know I am. You don’t.”

“What are you talking about?” Nemesis scoffed. “I am not dead!”

“Yes, you are.” Nadia said, her face turning sad. “You don’t know it, but you are. Nothing I say or do can change it. Nothing you do or say can change it. You died.”

“And I was reborn!” Nemesis shouted with glee, only to pause as Nadia sighed again. “What?” She demanded.

“Do you really think your master has that power?” Nadia asked softly. “He didn’t when I knew him, although he believed he did. He was a madman then and he hasn’t improved much since he keeps doing the exact same thing…” She shook her head. “One definition of true insanity is doing the exact same thing, the exact same way and expecting a different outcome each time.” She shrugged. “Not my problem. I just wanted to see what you were like.” She smiled bit sadly. “He picked a proper vessel to empty and refill. One filled with hate and weak of mind. Your fate is sealed, Nemesis.”

“Your insults are meaningless!” Nemesis said sharply as she sat in midair. “You either a liar or a fool.”

“I have been both.” Nadia replied without heat. “But this I do know, Nemesis. You are doomed. In no way, in no shape or form, will you survive what is coming. They never do.” She shook her head. “I keep trying, but you idiotic witches keep ignoring me. I guess it’s my penance for being stupid all those years ago.” She was fading now, or Nemesis was. “Enjoy the rest of your short life, moron. You won’t get any second chances this time.”

“You are weak!” Nemesis screamed. “I am stronger than you will ever be!”

“Yadda, yadda, yadda…” Nadia said with a sigh as she sat. “Same old Nemesis… Same taunts, same threats… Sheesh… I was a moron too, but… geez… At least I grew up a bit. Took dying, but I did. You… You won’t get that chance. Bye now.” She waved a hand and Nemesis was falling…

Nemesis woke up sure that something was wrong. But nothing presented itself. Mender looked up from where she sat, working on something that looked vaguely disturbing. It had… tentacles and was moving. No one else was in the room and the thrum of the ship’s engines was clear and constant.

“Did you have a good rest, sister?” Mender inquired.

“I did.” Nemesis replied. “Status?”

“We escaped the planet.” Mender said calmly. “Pilot is being hooked into the ship as we speak. He will be connected permanently.”

“The Grineer?” Nemesis asked as she sat up, checking all of her systems automatically.

“They pursued, but Tech launched a drone that they chased instead of us.” Mender laughed coldly. “It will let them draw it in, drop some self-replicating controllers and then explode.”

“Good.” Nemesis said with a nod. “It likely won’t convert the whole ship, but that will make either make them more cautious or angry. Either one can be used to our advantage.” She rose from her pad and moved to where Mender sat. “What are you working on?”

“Tech found any number of mechanical problems with the Corpus design that we acquired.” Mender replied evenly, her eyes all focusing on her work. “Whoever built that thing was sloppy, or drunk, according to Tech.”

“Maybe both, knowing the Corpus.” Nemesis said with a snort. Mender looked at her and she sighed and knelt. “Check me? I am not supposed to have emotions.”

“I can do it remotely.” Mender said, not moving from her spot. She paused. “You are… distressed by something.”

“I am?” Nemesis asked, confused. “I don’t feel it. Can you tell what?”

“No.” Mender said after a moment. “It seems like a memory, but it faded before I could scan it.” Nemesis waited and Mender sighed. “Whatever it was is gone now. I have set a telltale in case you have it again.”

“Good.” Nemesis agreed. “Your project?”

“Tech came up with number of improvements for the Corpus Command and Control MOA design.” Mender sounded eager now. Then again, she was programmed to derive pleasure from molding souls to serve the master. “We are growing a body that will serve us well.” Nemesis looked at the thing in front of Mender and then at Mender who laughed. “No, this is not the thing’s body. This is the connection between the body and the brain.”

“What is the body then?” Nemesis asked. Instead of answering, Mender waved a pseudopod at one wall and a tank appeared on it. Inside the tank, a four legged furred form floated. “What is that?” Nemesis asked. She hadn’t see that kind of creature before.

“A Kubrow.” Mender replied evenly. “An Orokin guard animal. I grew that one.” She made a noise of disgust. “The MOA control mechanism still requires a human brain to operate though. Cloned brains don’t meet all the parameters, according to Tech.”

“So…” Nemesis looked from the alien dog to Mender. “What did you do? That Corpus woman? The one who tried to take control of me?”

“There was nothing left of her mind.” Mender said, regret singing. But not for the death of the human. For the loss of the chance to warp and twist. “So… We had a perfectly viable human brain. And now, we have a Command and Control Kubrow. When this is finished anyway.” She turned back to her work. “At the next target, see if you can find some children or adolescents. We could use more samples for bio weapon fabrication.”

“Will do.” Nemesis said as she rose and moved to do what she did. Find the enemies of the Master and slay them.

She was dark. She was cold. Everything was cold and wet and alien. She could not feel anything but cold. Then pain seared into her and she gave out a scream, but… it came out a bark?

Obey.

The word sidled through her mind, her consciousness and she felt…wrong. This was wrong. She was wrong. Whatever was going on, she was…

“Something is wrong!” The voice was familiar somehow. Female. Angry. Enemy. She growled at the voice, even though she could not see the speaker.

“Back off, Nemesis!” Another voice said sharply. Something touched her and she felt… odd. Something wafted through her. Soothing, calming. But… ti was wrong. She knew it was wrong. The voice spoke again. “This is odd. The Kubrow is acting as if it knows us. But it can’t. The brain’s memory centers were trashed completely. Nothing left even before I wiped it further.”

“Is it going to work, or did we waste our time?” The first voice said with a hint of anger and she snarled again in the direction it had come from.

“It is…working.” The second voice said, somewhat dubious. “The readings are clear. The signals are being translated through the command and control matrix. So it will take control of any Corpus automatons it encounters. But… This is most peculiar.” Another touch and she relaxed. She didn’t want to, but she did. She whined in fear. “Easy.” The voice crooned, but she did not relax again.

“Mender, we have landed.” The first voice said sharply. “We have to go now if we want to hit that Corpus base before they detect us. Is it ready or not?”

“I think it is.” The one called Mender said, but sounded unsure. “This is…not as it should be. Here…”

She went still as light suddenly blinded her. Her eyes had opened. She stared up at a green form. Something that had no real shape, it seemed a blob of… something. She tried her legs and they moved little, but not much.

“Can you stand?” The second voice was coming from the blob thing. “Your name is Lilly.” That sounded both right and wrong. She managed to get her legs underneath her and rose on unsteady feet.

“Come on.” The first voice sounded from nearby and she turned to see a huge form whose skin looked like metal. One appendage was long and sharp looking, the other bulbous. “Move, you silly canine!”

She growled at them. These were not friends. She didn’t know who they were, but they were not friends! Both of them retreated a bit.

“Mender, what the hell?” The armored form snapped. “Is it ours or not?”

“I…” The blob made a noise of uncertainty. “It should be. The controls are in place. It should obey.” Obey. The word ran through her head again and she growled louder. “Oh dear…” The blob said slowly. “Nemesis…” It made a noise of disgust as she turned and showed her disapproval of them all. Right on the floor in front of the blob thing. “Eww….”

“That is it!” The armored form drew back its arm, the sharp one. “We can make another.

“Nemesis! No!” The blob screamed as the armored form stepped forward and swung, but she was in motion. She darted past the momentarily overbalanced form and ran for where she saw an opening. “Stop it! But alive! We need it alive!”

She bowled into another armored form and yelped in pain as her shoulder hit hard metal. But she bounced off it and ran. Something sang through the air near her, but she avoided it deftly and kept running.

“Seal the ship!” The voice of the one called Nemesis sounded from behind her and she put on more speed. “Now!” Then she saw an opening ahead. A landscape shone beyond, but it was closing! She ran faster, hurdling armored form that tried to grab her, darting under, around and through the mob and then, she snacked out just as a huge metal thing slammed shut behind her.

She ran. She had no idea where she was or where she was going. But she had to get away. She would find underbrush to hide in and get to the hills she could see in the distance…

Something hit her. She yelped as she found herself flying through the air. She hit the ground and scrambled to her feet, but one of her hind legs wasn’t working. She turned and saw wet red stuff on her fur. That wasn’t good. Then pain. She was hurt! They had hurt her! She yowled in rage and pain and ran on three legs. She could hear the sounds of pursuit behind her. But she had to get away. She had to. She wasn’t sure why. But those were not friends. Whoever they were, they were definitely not friends!

“Enough.” The voice of the one called Nemesis came from the side and the ground in front of her erupted. She howled in fear and ran on. “Stop, you dumb mutt!” The armored one sounded upset now.

Something hit her as she scrambled over a low rise and she fell. She stared up at the long metal thing that pinned her leg to the ground. She snarled at the armored form that was approaching now.

“We wanted to do this the easy way, you stupid animal.” Nemesis snapped. “Now we do it the hard way.” Nemesis reached for the metal thing impaling her leg. It flew back to the monster’s hand and then the armored thing paused as another voice sounded.

Stupid?” The voice was odd. Old. But firm. “That is rich coming from you.” The Kubrow went still as something moved between it and the form of Nemesis. It was… black. She should have been afraid of it. She knew that. But… for some reason, she wasn’t.

“Tenno.” Nemesis sounded elated. “I have been praying to meet another of you.”

“I bet you have.” The odd black form said dryly.

“Now you die.” Nemesis raised her sharp arm weapon thing, but the odd black form did not react. Did not act afraid at all.

“Not today, you stupid little brat.” He waved a hand at the armored form and to the Kubrow’s surprise, Nemesis gave a shrill cry, turned and ran. The Kubrow growled as the dark form turned and bent down. “Easy, milady…” The black form sounded both cautious and concerned. “You are hurt.”

She snapped at him, but she was weakening. She could feel warm wetness flowing down her side. She stared up at the black for and whimpered a bit.

“It’s okay.” The black form said gently, a hand coming down to stroke her head gently. “It’s okay. I am not your enemy. I know you are confused. I know you are hurting. I can help. Will you let me?” He retreated a bit. “We don’t have a lot of time, milady.”

M… Milady…? The word felt wrong. Everything felt wrong. She whined. Hurts… Was it in her head or aloud? Had she spoken?

“I know.” The black form sounded upset now as he reached down and gathered her up in arms that was far gentler than they looked. “It will be…”

“There!” Nemesis shouted from the distance. “Tenno! Kill it! Reclaim the controller!” The Kubrow whined, but the black form just chuckled softly.

“Idiots.” Suddenly… The Kubrow went still as dark forms simply appeared all around the black form that was carrying her easily now. There were many of them. Dozens. They turned as one and charged where Nemesis stood, obviously gaping at the sudden army that was attacking her. The Kubrow whined again as something hurt. But then the pain faded. “Easy, Milady…” The dark form said gently as he picked up speed. “The shades will keep them busy until they won’t have a chance of tracking us quickly. But you need help. Takes a really rotten type to shoot a Kubrow… Really, really rotten.”

She tried to stay awake. She really did. But the darkness dragged her down. Odd. She wasn’t afraid now. She should be. This being was terrifying. But… She wasn’t.

“Have you lost your mind, Nikis?” Karl demanded as Alicia worked. “We are setting up for battle and you bring a Kubrow for Alicia to tend?” The Kubrow was unconscious, which was a mercy from the wounds that the Trinity was tending.

“Not just a Kubrow, Karl.” Nikis wasn’t perturbed by Karl’s anger. “Something odd about her. Alicia?”

“This isn’t…”Alicia made a confused noise. “It’s a Kubrow, but the brain is human and these…” She waved at a series of highlighted holographic scans. “I swear these bio circuits look like the mess that was in Cecelia’s MOA body.”

“They built a Command and Control form.” Karl inhaled sharply. “Nikis…”

“She was running from them.” Nikis said with a shrug. “Might be a setup of some kind, but my gut says no. She was trying hard to get away from them.” He sighed. “They shot her, Karl.”

“Nikis…” Karl groaned. ‘We don’t have time for this!”

“I know.” Nikis agreed. “I bought a bit of time. They will hunt for me. Want to ambush them?”

“Yeah.” Karl said sourly. “Now that you have left us no alternatives.” He sighed. “Aeron and Two are set up to take out the big one with the big guns. We will take the other two.”

“It ain’t gonna be that easy, Karl.” Nikis said softly. “I never is.”

“I know.” Karl agreed. “I looked over the records.” He sounded sick now.

“I am with you, Karl.” Nikis said quietly. “I know how these fight. They will have a mob of minions. They will try to pin us in place for their big guns to hit. If they can’t –and we won’t let them- they will localize us so their leaders can engage. The one with the whip will be a handful, likely a berserker type. The last three occurrences had those. But Nemesis is the key. That one is the leader. Kill or disable it, and the others will retreat.”

“Just like that?” Karl asked dubiously.

“Oh, it will be a bit more involved than that.” Nikis turned as a soft sound came. He nodded to the Kubrow whose eyes were open. “You do good work, Alicia. Rest, milady.” He said to the Kubrow who was staring at him and the others in open curiosity. “When you can, flee.”

“You… good…” The Kubrow managed to croak out. Bioengineered or not, it’s voice was odd. More bark than human voice, it was intelligible.

“No, I am not.” Nikis said sadly. “I am making up for a lot of bad.”

“You… good.” The Kubrow gave a sigh and relaxed.

Nikis snorted and then paused. Karl, Alicia, Will, Ric, Olim, and Mori were all looking at him. “What?” He demanded.

“Nothing.” Karl said, but his tone said otherwise.

“Not a word, boy.” Nikis said sharply as he started off back the way he had come. “Not. A. Word.”

He was following an ancient stream bed when he saw them approaching. He stopped in the middle of the dry waterway and waited, his hands on his pistols.

You…” The voice was one he remembered. It was coming from the new Nemesis, but it wasn’t female. “Where is the sword?” The master of this evil demanded.

“Wouldn’t you love to know?” Nikis retorted evenly. “You haven’t learned a thing since the last time have you?”

“Your tricks will not save you this time, charlatan.” This was Nemesis. As arrogant as ever. In the distance, he could see more Grineer slaves approaching. All looked to be carrying heavy weapons and the big Chosen was with them, its huge weapon glinting ominously.

“No tricks this time, idiot child.” Nikis said, his tone cold. “Your master has left, hasn’t he?” Nemesis stared at him and he laughed coldly. “He remembers what happened the last time we faced one another.”

“You do not have the sword.” Nemesis said with a laugh of her own.

“Against you?” Nikis hawked and spat. “Do I need it?” Then his pistols were in hand and spewing fire.

Edited by Kalenath

“One definition of true insanity is doing the exact same thing, the exact same way and expecting a different outcome each time.”

Seems like someone has played Far Cry 3

Nope. Haven't touched any Ubi products since they banned me from their forums for calling one of their employees out for egging a forum poster to suicide. I got perma banned for asking him/her why he was allowed to say things like that. Never did get an answer. Being rude to Ubi employees (even stupid ones) isn't allowed. I refuse to support them.

But, I do figure that people like me who accepted Ubi's 'All you PC players, turn around and bend over' mentality fit the bill for insane. We expected a different outcome after they did it over and over and over again. Took a while, but even rabid Ubishaft fanboys can get the hint.

Edited by Kalenath

Nope. Haven't touched any Ubi products since they banned me from their forums for calling one of their employees out for egging a forum poster to suicide. I got perma banned for asking him/her why he was allowed to say things like that. Never did get an answer. Being rude to Ubi employees (even stupid ones) isn't allowed. I refuse to support them.

But, I do figure that people like me who accepted Ubi's 'All you PC players, turn around and bend over' mentality fit the bill for insane. We expected a different outcome after they did it over and over and over again. Took a while, but even rabid Ubishaft fanboys can get the hint.

And i thought EA was full of itself.

And i thought EA was full of itself.

EA and Ubisoft share something. They are big enough that they don't have to care about their players. If they drive a few hundred or a few thousand away, who cares? They have millions more who will accept their stupidity.

Now, not ALL of the employees at either are complete asshats. I have dealt with good people at EA. But Ubisoft seems to have adopted a company wide policy of 'We don't tell people anything. We lie to our players and then when they complain, we punish them. Because we can.'

EA and Ubisoft share something. They are big enough that they don't have to care about their players. If they drive a few hundred or a few thousand away, who cares? They have millions more who will accept their stupidity.

Now, not ALL of the employees at either are complete asshats. I have dealt with good people at EA. But Ubisoft seems to have adopted a company wide policy of 'We don't tell people anything. We lie to our players and then when they complain, we punish them. Because we can.'

Agreed.

Even Odds

She woke to the sound of thunder in the distance. Odd thunder, it kept coming and coming. She jerked as memory flared, but nothing hurt now. She stared around, looking for the kind soul in the dark and scary suit who had helped her, but he was nowhere to be seen. She felt… odd. Everything felt… not quite right.

“Easy.” A soft voice sounded from nearby and she jumped as a piece of the landscape came alive. What she had taken for an oddly shaped rock turned out to be another being in an odd suit. The voice was female and kind. She relaxed a bit. “I won’t hurt you.” The female said softly.

I… She went still. How was she speaking? She couldn’t. When she tried to breathe in and speak normally, it didn’t work, all she produced was an odd rasping whine. Fear rose. What?

”It’s okay.” The female said gently. “I know you are confused. I know you are scared. But there is no reason to be now.”

Monsters. Monsters had me… They hurt me… She stared down at her form and shuddered as she saw four legs curled up around herself. What am I?

“You are a Kubrow.” The kind woman said with a nod. “A canid life form. Based on old Earth dogs.” She chuckled a bit. “But not a dog.” A rumble in the distance sounded and the Kubrow stared off to where light was flashing in odd patterns. “It’s okay.” The woman reassured her. “My clan are here, they are fighting.”

Fighting the monsters. The Kubrow asked, slowly coming to grips with her odd speech patterns. But… They were horrible. Not humans…

“No.” The woman said sadly. “No, they are not.” She shook herself. “Um… I didn’t introduce myself. My name is Kori. Do you have a name?” She asked.

One of the monsters called me ‘Lilly.’ The Kubrow said after a moment. That… doesn’t seem right. And I do not want to be theirs! She said fiercely.

“You are not.” The other woman said calmly. “You are your own person. They made you, but you broke with them.”

Did I? The Kubrow asked after a moment. Or is this some kind of monstrous trick? Some way of hurting people? Is that why you are here? Watching me? The thought… did not bother her.

“Partly.” Kori replied. “But also to make sure than none of their minions stumbled across you while you slept. Now that you are awake… You can do what you wish.”

You were… protecting me? Drawn by some instinct she couldn’t quite define, the Kubrow rose to all four feet. She marveled that the pain she had been feeling was all gone. These were good people. Not at all like the monsters. I…

“Easy.” Kori said quietly as the Kubrow walked up to her and nuzzled her. The armor that Kori was wearing felt nothing like the armor that the others had worn. It was alive, alive and warm under the Kubrow’s nose. Then she jerked and gave a small cry. The Kubrow retreated a step.

What? The canid inquired.

“The battle… it does not go well…” Kori swallowed hard. “My kin need me.”

You helped me. The Kubrow said slowly, but with gathering surety. I will help you.

“You have been abused and hurt.” Kori said as she rose slowly. “You need rest and… if we fail… You need to flee.”

Then you must not fail. The Kubrow said firmly. I feel… Something impinged on her awareness. An oddity. A small metallic form was flying in the near distance. She focused on it and froze as it did. A torrent of information flared in her brain and she could not restrain a whine of pain as she collapsed. Kori was right beside in a flash.

“What happened?” The armored woman asked, worried.

I don’t know. The Kubrow replied. She nodded to where the flying machine was hovering immobile now. The machine… I…I can feel it… Others are approaching. Many others… She went still as Kori inhaled in horror.

“Oh no…” Kori leapt to her feet. “The Corpus! They will attack while my kin are distracted!” The Kubrow stared at Kori and then focused on the machine. It hovered for a moment and then shot off. “That tears it! We have to retreat.”

No. The Kubrow said softly. They were going to, now they will not. Reinforcements are en route. Your kin need help, yes? She rose to stand by Kori.

“What?” Kori stammered, confused.

I don’t know how. But I just took control of every one of the machines in the area. The Kubrow said, unease percolating. If the monsters made me, then this is why they did. But they had to control me… They couldn’t. Or… I don’t think they could… I was built to control these kind of machines. To kill… to kill people…

“Oh.” Kori knelt down and held out her arms. “What a horrible burden.” The Kubrow came close and Kori threw her arms gently over the canid who leaned into the embrace gratefully.

Watch me, Kori. The Kubrow said quietly. If I turn on you…

“You won’t.” Kori’s faith touched the canid and she nuzzled the armored woman’s face affectionately. “My clan need help.”

Then let us give it. The armored woman started off, the four legged female at her heels. They ran lightly and quickly over the landscape until they came to a small valley. In it was a dry streambed that held… horror.

A dozen armored forms struggled against a horde of nightmarish forms. For every one that the armored forms cut down or gunned down, two more seemed to arrive. The enemy’s ranks were swelling. Not that they seemed to need it. Many of the armored form’s bullets either bounced off or passed through the enemies without causing harm. Blade strikes as well seemed to do little damage.

“Enough!” Kori screamed and a pulse of power swept from her.

The Kubrow paused, stunned as half of the enemies turned on each other. But only for a moment. Then they returned to fighting the other armored forms. But that moment of respite had given the armored forms time to regroup. Several of them showed signs of damage or injuries. One was down. Hurt or slain, the Kubrow did not know. Kori screamed, a heartwrenchign sound of pure agony, but when the Kubrow turned to look at her, nothing had hit her. But she was clutching her head.

A massive explosion sounded nearby and the Kubrow ducked as the ground heaved. Kori was tossed away to land in a heap. A huge enemy moved towards them, it’s massive weapon almost the same size as the enemy himself. She growled in warning, but he ignored that, reaching for her with the hand that was not on the control of the weapon.

Obey. The word sang through her body and soul. But she would not submit. She could not. She would not. She snarled and backed up a step. Then another, as the huge form closed the distance.

Back off! She screamed in her mind and the huge enemy paused for a moment, then started to close again. She stared around wildly, looking for the black armored one who had helped her before. But… She couldn’t see him. Indeed, she couldn’t see anything now, but the huge hand that was moving towards her. To take her. To enslave her. Never! She screamed in the silence of her mind.

You belong with us. The voice was calm and cold. You are ours. But then massive explosions started in the enemy ranks as a dark from swooped down from high above. Some kind of machine.

The Kubrow darted away from the enemy who was raising it’s weapon now to fire on the odd machine that was hovering now. But then, she felt something else. A line of code in her mind. Code she understood!

Command and Control protocols recognized. Raptor online. Orders? The machine was talking to her. It was awaiting her commands. What the hell was a Raptor? The machine spoke again. Proxies inbound. Designate targets.

Help me! The Kubrow commanded, her near panicked flight slowing and stopping as she turned and saw… a horde of machines sweeping down from one wall of the valley. Somehow, she blinked and a red box covered the huge enemy with the large weapon. Target priority. Destroy.

Acknowledged. The Raptor Drone replied and then the Kubrow recoiled as the area around the huge enemy erupted in explosions and fire. Dozens of machines moved to fire at the same target and he screamed shrilly in the firestorm. But he was standing near where Kori lay still!

Kori! The Kubrow screamed as she ran back towards where the kind woman lay. No! Defend that human! A phalanx of machines moved to stand between the unconscious female and the enemy who were slowly retreating.

The other armored forms redoubled their efforts and several more of the enemy fell before they finally started running. The last two, the one called Nemesis and another who was swinging a vicious whip, paused at the top of a hill.

“You have won nothing, Tenno.” Nemesis called. The Raptor swooped down and she fled, the machines following. The white armored form of the leader looked around and then at the Kubrow who was moving to where Kori lay still.

“I assume you did that?” He said calmly. The Kubrow nodded. “Thank you.” He said with a nod. “Pull them back.” He said as he strode to where the Kubrow was now nuzzling Kori, trying to wake her. “The enemy have hacking ability. If they get too close to the ship, they can hack the machines and thus you.” The Kubrow paused, swallowed hard and nodded again.

You helped me. The Kubrow replied, fear in her voice. I wanted to help you. Kori… She said weakly. Please wake up.

“She tried to mind control one of the enemy.” The white armored form said softly. “The backlash hurt her.”

She can’t die! The Kubrow begged. She is kind…

“Everything dies, darling.” The Kubrow gave a soft bark of relief as the black armored form rose from where he had been lying and shook himself. “Lousy stinking back biters… I must be getting old. Haven’t been blindsided that bad in decades.” He bent down and picked up a pair of weapons that he holstered.

“You okay, Nikis?” Karl asked softly. Others of the armored forms were moving about, finishing off wounded enemy and checking their fallen. “That scum with the whip hit you hard.”

“Hurts, but I am intact.” The one called Nikis knelt by where the Kubrow was trying to get Kori to wake. “Darling… She may not wake. And if she does? She may not be the same. What she did was brave but foolish.”

I… The Kubrow whined sadly. I understand. She was kind to me. I wish…wish I could help her.

“You can.” Nikis said gently. “Be here for her. She will need care and comfort. She needs to know that she is not alone. That is the enemy’s greatest weapon, fear.”

I will not leave her alone. The Kubrow said firmly. And… The machines around the valley arrayed themselves in a battle formation and an alert pinged into her mind. The Raptor’s scanners had picked up new contacts. Humans approach! Armed humans! Friend or foe?

“Not sure.” The white armored form said with a wince. “Alicia! Get everyone patched us to travel. Nikis…” He paused as the black armored form scooped Kori up and hefted her easily. “Never mind.” He said dryly. “I will see what they want.”

“Be careful, Karl.” Another voice that the Kubrow sort of recognized spoke and she looked to where a blue and white armored form was doing…something to another that lay still. “Come on Will, don’t be lazy.”

“Frack that thing hit hard…” A dazed voice sounded and she helped another armored form up. “Never been hit that hard before. Even Krill doesn’t hit like that…”

“Come on, darling.” Nikis said quietly as the white armored form moved to stand near where the humans would enter the valley. “We need to go.”

I should stay. The Kubrow temporized. If the machines are needed to fight the humans…

“The machines belong to the humans, girl.” Nikis said softly. “If they discover what you just did, there will be hell to pay. Come on.” He urged her.

I don’t know what to do. The Kubrow admitted. But you and Kori were kind. You saved me. She protected me while I was unconscious.

“I find your kind a lot easier to deal with than Tenno or humans.” Nikis admitted as they walked. “Uh oh…” He said softly as the machines around eth area suddenly turned and aimed their weapons at the armored forms. “Um… darling…?”

That wasn’t me! The Kubrow had frozen in place. She tried to access the odd link she had managed before but it didn’t work. I can’t access them now!

“I bet you can, just not the same way.” Nikis said quietly. “But we are in trouble. Half the clan is hurt. Most of us are low on ammo. If they start shooting… Run.”

I won’t leave you! The Kubrow declared with a growl.

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.” Nikis said softly. “Here come the boxheads…” Indeed, the Kubrow stared as she saw the humans. Their helmets did look like boxes.

“Well, well, well…” One of them declared. “What have we here?” None of the armored forms deigned to reply and he snorted. “A pack of Betrayers, all nicely caught. I smell profit.”

Lilly. The Kubrow went still. There was a voice in her head and it was not hers! It’s okay, Lilly. I am a friend.

I don’t know you! The Kubrow snapped, trying to growl, but she made no noise. She tried to move and couldn’t.

I know. The voice was female, kind and sad. I need you to do something for me, Lilly. I need an open com channel from one of the proxies.

What good will that do? The Kubrow demanded as Karl slowly unholstered his long bladed staff.

We need the Tenno alive and fighting, Lilly. The voice said gently. Try channel Nine, they rarely block that one. The Kubrow snarled mentally, but did as instructed. She went still as every single machine in the area… powered down. The flying ones sank to the ground and folded up on themselves. Thank you, Lilly.

One of the machines -the flying one called Raptor- moved forwards, a holo emitter shining. A hologram of a robed woman appeared in the middle of everything. She looked around and nodded.

“Executive Nishon.” The woman said calmly. “Stand down.”

“I don’t take orders from…” The human who had spoken before snapped, only to pause as one of the others grabbed his arm, obviously saying something that even the Kubrow’s sharp ears could not catch. A soft exclamation was heard and the human sounded scared when he spoke again. “Reverend Mother… this is unprecedented.”

“The threat we face is unprecedented.” The holo replied evenly. “We are at a cusp, Executive. If we fail, if we serve only ourselves, we lose everything. Humanity as whole will die. Stand down. Now.” She commanded.

“But…” The Executive sputtered and then froze as the Raptor rose into the air, it’s missile banks opening. The target was clear and every one of the other humans moved away from the executive who had frozen in place. “I…”

“Obey or die, Executive Nishon.” The holo commanded. “We do not have time for this! Your successor might be more amenable to common sense!”

“I… I will obey.” The executive said after a moment. “But I will lodge a protest with the Board!”

“Protest away.” The holo replied evenly. “At least you will be alive to do so. Which is more than would have been the case if these had not stopped the enemy.” The executive bristled. “Shut up, Nishon.” The holo said before he could speak again. “I am sure you and your men would have fought bravely. But you would have all died. For nothing. Go back to the outpost. If the enemy has not leveled it as they fled. Maybe if you are not stupid enough to pick fights with Tenno, you will live to see another day.” She sounded…remarkably unconcerned with his fate.

“Ah… Reverend Mother…” The executive stammered. “The proxies…?”

“I don’t trust you.” The holo said flatly. “Get lost. Now.” The Kubrow watched with no small amusement as the humans almost ran from the valley, the mechanical forms watching them like… well, a horde of death machines. Only after they were gone did the holo turn to where the white armored form stood. “Tenno. They did it. They made a Command and Control form…” Her voice was sad and sick now. “Ah, Lilly…”

Who are you? The Kubrow demanded.

“Once… I was your friend and mentor.” The woman replied. “You were my agent. But you do not remember. I…” She seemed to slump. “Go.” She said to the Tenno. “Take Lilly and go.”

But… The Kubrow looked at the machines arrayed around and whined a bit.

“Lilly, you do not remember me.” The woman said softly. “I could gain limited access, but no more. I could feel no trace of who you were. They killed you. The enemy killed you. We shared thoughts often enough while I trained you. But… You are not her. Not anymore. I must return the proxies to the base. But I can delay their return. Tenno. Please…” She begged. “Take Lilly and go. If the Board find out she exists… A Command and Control form… They will kill her and dissect her to try and build more abominations. Please.” She begged. “You can protect her. I can’t.”

She… wasn’t just a friend, was she? The Kubrow asked, stunned as the armored forms started moving. All of them held weapons ready, but none of the machines as much as twitched. Lilly?

“No.” The Reverend Mother of the Corpus Clergy admitted. “Before that? She was my daughter.”

Edited by Kalenath

A Tenno’s best friend

She lay quiet while the doctors worked on Kori. She couldn’t do anything but wait. These… ‘Tenno’ had been more than kind. More than fair. She was an abomination. She knew that. It felt… wrong to be here. In a place that she had been reassured was safe. She didn’t belong here.

“Hey.” The voice of the dark one –Nikis- came from nearby and she turned to see him standing by the door. “You look… distressed.”

I am. The Kubrow said after a moment. I don’t know what to think. Was I really that old woman’s daughter?

“We may never know.” Nikis replied quietly. “Some humans lie as easy as breathing. The Corpus in particular seem to revel in it. As long as it turns them a profit, anything is fair game. Anything at all.” He hawked and spat, but the Kubrow didn’t mind. She felt more at ease with the dark form than any of the others. Maybe Kori. Maybe. “It is possible.” He admitted when the Kubrow turned her head to look at where Kori lay. “Probable? I don’t know. What happened isn’t your fault.” He said as he knelt beside her.

I feel it is. The Kubrow said heavily. I don’t… I didn’t know what I was doing. If I had… I would have commanded those machines to attack first thing. Instead, I froze. Shame sang in her mental speech.

“Darling, you are not a trained warrior.” Nikis said gently. “And you want to know something? Many trained warriors freeze the first time.” The Kubrow turned to stare sharply at him and he nodded.

Why do you call me that? The Kubrow asked after a moment. You called me ‘milady’ when we first me. Now you call me ‘darling’. I didn’t know you. Did I? She paused. Was the dark form embarrassed? His posture said it, even if she couldn’t smell anything but the scent of his armor.

“I um…” Nikis paused, then continued. “I was partnered with a Kubrow once. She was…” He looked away.

I am sorry. The Kubrow said instantly, not wanting to give offense. I did not mean to pry.

“You haven’t.” Nikis laid a hand on her shoulder and gave it a scratch. She sighed as some of the tension left her body. It felt…right. “It was a long time ago. She was a good soul. But she wanted pups, so she went and found a mate. Had a family. It was right for her. We both agreed it was a good thing. But I do miss her.”

What was her name? The Kubrow asked after a moment. From your words, she is no more?

“Her name was Maxine and I… don’t know.” Nikis said quietly. “I looked, but… I never found any sign of her or her family.”

Oh. The Kubrow sighed and turned back to where Kori was lying. I do not like seeing her like this.

The docs had removed Kori from her armor and she lay pale and still in the bed. Outside of her armor, Kori had dark skin and short dark hair framing a face that looked as if it were accustomed to smiles. But she wasn’t smiling now. She hadn’t woken. From what the others had said, she might not.

What happened? The Kubrow asked finally. To Kori?

“She touched the mind of the Enemy.” Nikis’ voice was calm, but underneath the calm lay a rage as deep as space. “She didn’t know any better. She did as she was trained. It is what she does, manipulates enemy minds to control the battlefield.”

A powerful ability. The Kubrow commented. So… The Enemy hurt her?

“Yes.” Nikis agreed. “It might have been deliberate. It might not have been. The sheer power in the Enemy’s massed mind is daunting. One of my… colleagues touched it during one of the other… occurrences of this horror and she… she went mad.” The Kubrow whined and leaned into his hand and he nodded to her. “I don’t know if Kori touched it directly or not. If she did… she may be lost to us.”

You mean the Enemy may take her? The Kubrow tensed. No! We cannot let that happen!

“Darling, it may have already happened.” Nikis said quietly. “We won’t know until she wakes. Maybe not even then. It all depends on how she wakes.”

Or if she does. The Kubrow winced and Nikis scratched her again. She is…a good person.

“Yes she is.” Nikis agreed. “You need to know. Her brother left to get information on the enemy. When he returns… he is going to be upset.”

I can understand that. The doctors stepped away from where Kori lay and nodded to the Kubrow and Nikis. May I…? She wasn’t sure who she was asking, but Nikis just chuckled.

“No one will try and stop you, darling.” Nikis rose as the Kubrow did. She padded to the bed and, after a quick check, jumped up. There was plenty of space. She sat down next to Kori and laid her snout on the still Tenno’s chest. “Sleep if you can, darling.”

I think I need another name. The Kubrow said with a hint of amusement. If you keep calling me that, people may get the wrong idea.

“Mind wiped and already developing a twisted sense of humor.” Nikis said with a snort as he knelt nearby. “You are going to fit in just fine around here.”

I feel… The Kubrow said slowly. I feel something odd about her. I am not sure what it is.

“You feel?” One of the doctors paused as she was leaving. She had been introduced as Amelia. “What do you feel?”

Kori is afraid. The Kubrow said softly. She is… The canid moved her head so that her chin was touching Kori’s. She is crying. Alone in the dark. She needs help! The Kubrow said sharply.

“Darling…” Nikis said slowly. “If she was taken, it is likely a trap.”

And if she wasn’t? The Kubrow demanded. Nikis looked at her and then laid a slow hand on Kori’s brow.

“Darling, I don’t feel anything.” Nikis said softly. The Kubrow made a soft growling noise and Nikis shook his head. “I am not disputing that you do. I am just saying that I don’t. The docs don’t. I don’t think we can help her.”

The Enemy touched me too. The Kubrow said uneasily. Either it did not affect me or it could not. Do you know which? Amelia stepped close, her face worried.

“Human brains operate on certain wavelengths.” Amelia said as she checked her readouts. “Kubrow bodies on others. They managed to mesh your brain to your body. I am not sure how.” She looked up with the others as the door opened. The Kubrow went still as a white and gold armored form that she didn’t know entered the room.

“They had bio science down to an evil art.” The newcomer said. His voice was calm, but… it was sad. So sad. The Kubrow whined at the grief in it. “I am sorry it took me so long…” He came to the bedside and Amelia made room for him. “Ah… Kori…” Grief sang in his voice.

“Carlos?” Amelia asked. “I… She is alive…”

“But she is not there.” The newcomer replied as he sat on the side of the bed. The Kubrow whined a bit and nudged his hand with a paw. “Yes?”

She is. The canid said quietly. But she cannot find her way. Can you help her find her way out of the darkness? The white armored form that wasn’t the clan leader looked at the Kubrow for a moment and then laid a slow hand on Kori’s forehead. He shook his head.

“I cannot sense her.” Kori’s brother said. “If I cannot find her, I cannot help her.”

I can find her. The Kubrow said softly and everything went still in the room.

“Darling…” Nikis said slowly. “That may be what the Enemy want. To get access to you again.”

Perhaps. The Kubrow replied. But Kori is my friend. Her tone was calm, but not. The white and gold warframe looked at her and then nodded slowly. I do not wish this. The Kubrow said slowly. But without help, Kori will be lost to us. I wish that less.

“Nikis?” Carlos asked, worried.

“This is a bad idea, darling.” Nikis said as he moved a bit, setting himself so he could reach both Kori and the Kubrow. “But I can see you are determined. The word ‘stubborn’ may have been made just for your kind.” He said with a snort.

I am afraid. The Kubrow admitted. But Kori is crying. I need to help her. She sidled a little closer to Kori and laid her head down beside the still Tenno’s.

“We are with you.” Carlos promised, laying a hand on her shoulder. Nikis did the same and…

The gray landscape undulated underneath her paws. It wasn’t any kind of terrain she had ever encountered before. She stared around wildly, but there was nothing. As far as her senses could reach, there was only gray emptiness.

Kori. She said slowly. Kori, can you hear me? There was no reply, but she felt a tug from something. It felt…familiar. She started off, running easily through the gray mists that rose from the gray surface. All of her senses were honed as sharp as she could, but she could hear nothing but silence, see nothing but gray.

Suddenly, a scream pierced the silence. A heart-wrenching scream of pure agony. Kori. The Kubrow went still and then turned and started off again. She had a direction now.

Hold on, Kori. I am coming. She promised as she ran through nothingness.

Just as suddenly as she had arrived, the Kubrow found herself staring at a macabre scene. Kori lay on the ground, covered by some kind of transparent cocoon. Her armor as in tatters around her, barely covering her enough for modesty purposes. Something was beside her. A familiar blob thing. It didn’t see the Kubrow.

“Stop fighting, girl.” The blob thing was saying. “It’s not bad. We won’t hurt you of you stop fighting. We can use you. We can help you, put you back together. You have been hurt, so many times.” She touched the cocoon and Kori screamed again. “If you stop fighting, your pain will cease. We will welcome you into our family.”

“Liar.” Kori’s voice was weak and hoarse. “You do not have a family. You have horror.”

“Ah, girl…” The blob sounded sad now. “We can make it easy for you. Why do you insist on doing this the hard way?”

“I won’t help you harm my kin!” Kori snapped. “You are trying to enslave me! I won’t let you!”

“We have adjusted Tenno before, Kori.” The blob replied. The Kubrow’s flesh crawled as several long things extruded form it to touch the cocoon. Kori gave a cry and started to pant. The blob chuckled evilly. “So strong and so naïve. You will serve. Happily even.”

“Never!” Kori declared, but her voice was odd. Was that pleasure mixed with the pain and fear? “I… will… not… submit… to you…” She gave a small cry of fear as the blob touched her again.

“Oh yes you will…” The blob paused as the Kubrow growled. “What the?” Several of its eyestalks spun and it went still on seeing her. “Lilly?”

I am not Lilly! The Kubrow declared as she charged. And you are dead! The blob screamed as the Kubrow tore into it, teeth and claws slashing. Get away from my friend!

“Ah, Lilly…” The blob vanished, only to reappear a few meters away. The Kubrow charged again, but suddenly, she was encased in something like what held Kori. “Good. You saved us the time and effort of tracking you down. I need to see where I went wrong. It won’t hurt, girl.” She reached for the Kubrow, only to pause as something changed. Suddenly, the cocoon thing that Kori was lying in was glowing. Glowing golden! “No!” The dark green blob screamed as the cocoon flew apart.

“Leave. Her. Alone.” Kori declared as she rose from where she had been lying. Her armor… repaired itself under the stunned Kubrow’s eyes. And it… changed. Where it had been dark green and black, now it was red and gold! “Be gone from my mind, you filthy abomination!”

“You cannot keep us out, Kori.” The blob declared as Kori advanced on it. She touched the cocoon holding the Kubrow and suddenly the canid was free. She rose to her feet to stand beside Kori, growling at the blob who recoiled. “You are both ours! You belong with us. To us.”

“No, we are not!” Kori and the Kubrow declared as one. Kori focused herself and the Kubrow leaned against her, offering support as Kori threw something at the blob. A bolt of golden energy that crackled like fire. When it connected, the form seemed to shrivel. It screamed and vanished. The two mismatched females stared at where the form had been and then at each other.

This isn’t over. The Kubrow said uneasily.

“No.” Kori agreed. “They will try again.” She paused. “You shouldn’t be here. If that monster had touched you, she would have enslaved you. Why are you here?” She demanded.

You helped me. The Kubrow said calmly. I helped you.

“I…” Kori was suddenly crying. Her armor vanished, leaving her wearing an odd red robe. She sank to the ground and the Kubrow came close, nuzzling her face as Kori wept. “I am… not worthy… of such…” Kori hugged the Kubrow tight.

I don’t care. The Kubrow said gently. You are my friend. Friends help one another. Kori gave a small cry and hugged her tighter. Its okay, Kori. But you need to wake up now.

“Before you do…” Nikis’ soft voice sounded from nearby as he and Carlos appeared. Carlos made a beeline to where Kori knelt, sinking to his knees, taking her hands in his and pulling her close. “Kori… Oh... I am so, so sorry…” Both Kori and the Kubrow turned to stare at him. The ancient curmudgeon gunfighter…was crying! "This isn't how it was supposed to be..."

“Nikis…?” Kori asked, confused. “What?”

“Look at yourself, girl.” Nikis said softly. Kori looked down at herself and froze. She reached down and fingered the odd looking red robe that she wore.

“What is this?” Kori asked. “This… isn’t Tenno garb… is it?”

“It is.” Nikis sounded… wrong. Angry, sad, tired…. All of these. And more. So much more. “I was going to do it! Damnitalltohell! It was supposed to be me!” He snapped. Then everyone jumped as he screamed. “Haven’t I done enough? It was my time!”

No. The voice was… everywhere. You were not chosen. It was… odd. It was neither male nor female. It had aspects of both. It had… the sense of… fire? Of flight? Be easy Tenno Nikis. What must be, must be.

“I won’t let you do it.” Nikis snapped. “Not to her. Not here. Not now. I won’t!” He shouted. “She doesn’t deserve this!”

“Nikis…” Carlos sounded afraid. “Don’t…”

“I won’t let it take her too!” Nikis was suddenly cold, his ire directed…somewhere. “I won’t. She has a family! I don’t! I was ready! I was set to take up the burden!”

Ready makes no difference, old friend. The voice retorted easily. No one deserves it. But it must be. She was chosen. She will do as Tenno have always done.

“No!” Nikis screamed. His scream was dark and cold. Cold as space. Dark as death. The Kubrow felt terrible power gathering. The gray plain was suddenly golden. Lines of numbers flared brighter and brighter as Nikis raised his hands. "I will not allow this!"

“Nikis!” Carlos begged. “Don’t! You will kill us all!”

What is happening? The Kubrow demanded, pressing up against Kori in fear.

“I don’t know.” Kori said weakly. “Nikis… please…!”

“You will not take her as you took all the others!” Nikis shouted, his anger still that cold and scary thing. “I don’t care what you say! You lie! There has to be another way!”

There isn’t. The voice sounded so sad now. I am sorry… old friend. I cannot let you interfere. With a pop, Nikis vanished!

“Nikis!” Carlos and Kori both cried out.

“He is not dead.” A voice that was somewhat familiar to Kori sounded and a form appeared nearby. It was a dark haired human composed of transparent golden energy. He wore armor that was… sort of like a warframe, but not quite. Kori went still as she recognized him. “Hello Kori.” The sadness in his tone was palpable.

“First One…” Kori stammered and then slowly moved to bow. But… he stopped her.

“No, Kori.” Hayden Tenno said sadly. “Do not bow to me. If anything, I should bow to you.” Everything seemed to stop as tears started to fall down his transparent face. “I had hoped… Like Nikis…that this wouldn’t be needed…”

“What do you mean?” Kori asked, baffled. The Kubrow leaned up against her, offering support that Kori took gratefully. The Kubrow was dazed by all of this, but she would stand with her friend. Now and always.

“The robe you wear, Kori…” Hayden Tenno said softly. “…is the raiment of the Phoenix.” Kori stared at him, even more confused. The Kubrow likewise. But Carlos inhaled in shock.

“No…” Carlos stammered. “No, not Kori…”

“I am sorry.” Hayden said quietly, tears still falling. “She chose you, Kori. I don’t know why. She never says why she chooses who she does. Why it is always female Tenno.”

“No…” Carlos begged. “Not now. It… please, First… I just found her… I cannot lose her now.”

“I know.” Hayden said softly. “I am sorry, Carlos. But… Once the Choosing is done, it cannot be undone.”

“What is going on?” Kori demanded. “Why are you acting as if I am going to die?” Both Carlos and Hayden turned to look at her. The First One’s face was bleak.

“Because you are.”

Edited by Kalenath

Well, Kori's story is one of sadness. So vulnerable, so broken. She seeks redemption, yet is denied. And her fate is tragic. 

I sure do hope, Kal, that Kori does play a part in stories to come, just like Mari, though I cannot say she has had a major role after the story she was killed in. 'Madness', was it?

Well, Kori's story is one of sadness. So vulnerable, so broken. She seeks redemption, yet is denied. And her fate is tragic. 

I sure do hope, Kal, that Kori does play a part in stories to come, just like Mari, though I cannot say she has had a major role after the story she was killed in. 'Madness', was it?

Mari lost her life in 'Normal'. But she showed up in 'Madness' and in 'Instinct'. She just... can't show up often. They keep her busy. Doing what you might ask?

No comment.

Ways

This was getting tiresome.

Nemesis waited outside of Mender’s lab and tried not to fume. That whole ‘battle’ had been a fiasco. Instead of a straight up fight, the Tenno had suckered her in nicely. She had to admit, the tactics had been masterful. When she and her team had attacked the lone Tenno who had stolen their control form, other Tenno had attacked the flanks and rear of the force, wreaking havoc with the warriors who had been focused on the threat ahead. She herself had been so focused on the insolent black armored Tenno that she had been blindsided and forced to retreat for several minutes. Then, their reinforcements had arrived and they had driven the Tenno back, meter by bloody meter. It had cost them sorely in slain warriors, but the Tenno force had been crumbling. They had been falling! The master swordsman had gone down, the dark insolent one had gone down, the others had been pressed back and further back. She had been able to taste victory. Then it had all turned to ashes.

The effrontery. The sheer gall that the Command and Control form had to spurn them. To deny the Master’s dominion over it. Not just to flee, but to call enemies down on the Hive? To attack them? To force them to flee like a bunch of puling humans?

The only one who was happy now was Strike. He had been too busy having fun to even notice when the battle had been lost. He had followed the remainder of the group when they had fled the machines. Part of Nemesis had hoped the machines would follow back to the ship and Tech’s area of influence. But they hadn’t. The ship had gathered up the pitiful remnants of the assault force and fled for deep space, where it sat now. Waiting. Brooding.

“Mender!” Nemesis finally called. She had been waiting outside the healer’s lab for almost twenty minutes. Waiting for a response. She tried mentally. Mender?

There was no response. Nemesis paused. She had been warned about entering the lab while Mender was working. The blob being used a lot of very nasty stuff in her experiments and Nemesis did not particularly want to have to regrow her armor. But even in the midst of her most delicate experiments, she had always responded. Finally, Nemesis shook her head. Master? I cannot contact Mender.

Mender is… unwell. The Master replied quickly. Are you injured?

No. Nemesis said, unsure. But we have other wounded. We need to restock on warriors as well. I was hoping she would have some gas or something to take prisoners with.

A Grineer Galleon is heading towards your position. The Master said after a moment. All aboard have been subverted. Two thousand more warriors.

What happened? Nemesis asked, only a little plaintively. We had them.

The command and control form rebelled. The Master said coldly. Mender erred in allowing it as much free will as she did.

What do we do now? Nemesis asked. Exterminate more humans?

I am rethinking our plans. The Master replied. The Tenno could not match our numbers. But their greatest weapon was not present.

The sword? Nemesis asked and the gasped as something grabbed hold of her mind and squeezed. Hard. I… Forgive me, Master…

The Tenno created a weapon to fight me. The Master said after a moment. A powerful weapon. But it also has a powerful cost and the Tenno have always been reluctant to use it.

Fools. Nemesis said with a snort. The invisible hand grabbed her mind an again and she could not stifle a gasp of pain. What?

You know not of what you speak, Nemesis. The Master’s voice was calm, but iron might have bent under its intensity. A change of plan is in order. Extermination missions will continue, but you and the Chosen will not be involved. Warriors will attack and sterilize human settlements. You… will search for this weapon. When you find it, you will bring it to me.

But… Nemesis waited for pain to come again, but it did not. If it is so dangerous, should we not destroy it before it can be used against us?

If only we could. Was it her imagination that the Master sounded afraid? It had to be. Two more Chosen have been reborn. They will join you for the next operation.

Ah? Nemesis felt her body move away from Mender’s door. Mender?

She will recover. The master reassured Nemesis. But for now, she must rest. Next room. Nemesis strode into the room and paused as two female forms turned to look at her.

One had obviously been Grineer. Maybe a Ballista? Definitely not a Scorpion, she was far too large to have been one of them. One arm had been replaced with a long rifle like weapon and the other held a metal shield that looked much like a Grineer Shield Lancer’s, if larger.

Havoc. The Master said and the former Grineer nodded. Ranged combat specialist. She will neutralize the enemy snipers when they attack again. Her rifle can fire any number of different loads, making her especially versatile in any number of situations. She will also be better at dealing with close combat enemies than Artillery is.

“Ready to kill.” Havoc’s voice was odd. Melodious and pure, it sounded decidedly out of place coming from an armored form of death. Nemesis nodded to her and scrutinized the other.

The other one…was odd. Nemesis couldn’t tell what the female had been. Just that she had been one. She looked… almost ordinary. Almost human. Almost, except for the wicked claws that had replaced her hands.

Mary. The Master said quietly. Nemesis paused. What kind of a name…? Show her. The Master said, darkly amused.

A small hatch slid open on a wall and a form scuttled in. It rose and it was quickly apparent that it was a human. Male. Dirty and unkempt, obviously he was a prisoner. He took one look at the three and bolted. But there was nowhere to go. Nemesis and Havoc were between him and the door and Mary was stalking towards him.

“No…” The human begged as he retreated. “No! Don’t…”

“Easy boy…” The almost human shape said in a quiet and calming tone as she reached out to touch his arm. ”Just a touch… and everything is better…”

“No!” The man screamed and then fell, clutching his arm. Nemesis stared as it swelled up, ugly yellow pustules growing as she stared. He screamed and screamed, wailing in agony as the contagion spread up his arm. Then his screams choked off as his face was covered by them. He collapsed to the ground, writhing. Nemesis watched clinically as he writhed for a time, then lay still.

“Dead?” Nemesis asked coldly. “How long to incubate?”

“Oh, not dead. Hibernating and incubating. He will be contagious permanently. Even after he dies, which will take a week or so.” Mary replied. Her tone was still that calm, cool and deceptively gentle tone. Her hands morphed and suddenly they looked human. “I am supposed to rendezvous with the spies. They found something on Mercury, but are not sure what it is. Getting into the area has proven difficult.”

“What kind of something?” Nemesis asked, nodding to the still form on the floor. “That ability will prove very useful.”

“It should.” Mary said with a nod. Her kindly tone utterly at odds with her horrific abilities and personality. “We think it is a hospital.”

“Oh.” Nemesis said, her hands coming up to rub together. “The possibilities.” But then she paused. “It will be heavily defended if so. And not just by the Tenno.”

The Grineer have attacked it on several occasions. The Master replied. Each time, they have failed miserably. They cannot even find it. If it even exists and is not a myth. The Grineer High Command are saying it is a myth. They lose battalions every so often searching, but write them off.

“Then we need to be… subtle.” Nemesis nodded to Mary. “Typhoid Mary, huh?” Mary smiled, and her jaw had far too many teeth. Sharp pointed teeth. “I like it.”

She moved to converse with her two new subordinates, never even realizing that her prior curiosity about Mender had been expertly deflected. Behind her, a small form entered the door to Mender’s lab and walked to where a vat filled with green goo sat. The young human wore an odd glistening garment that hugged his skin, but… showed bulges in odd places. His skull was covered by organic bandages. One of Mender’s test subjects. His eyes were empty as he clambered over the side and slid into the goo. He screamed once and then was submerged in it.

She will figure it out. Mender’s mental voice was soft and filled with pain.

Rest. The Master commanded as Mender made a noise of pain. We need her to lead, not to be worried by things she cannot change. You need to heal. Absorb that human’s mass. It will ease you.

For a time. Mender said softly as the human started to thrash in the vat. The thrashing… didn’t last long. Then his form… disintegrated. Not permanently. How did that Tenno do that? I was incorporeal on that plane. How did she damage me?

She is the Phoenix. The wielder. But as for how? The Master’s voice held fear now. I don’t know.

“No!” The Kubrow winced. It seemed everyone had to shout the hoarse denial after Kori spoke what she had seen and heard. Carlos hadn’t said a word since they had returned to their own bodies, just held her hand. Nikis had stormed from the room, no one daring to get in his way. Cecelia was crying softly. Amelia and Brianna looked poleaxed. The Tenno, in warframes and not, all looked stunned.

“What will be, will be.” Kori said softly, not moving from where she sat on the bed, the Kubrow’s head in her lap. “It has to be. Karl…” She begged as the white armored Rhino snarled.

“Kori, you have suffered enough!” Karl snapped. “Yes, you erred, but you made restitution! You found your way. Kori…” Was he begging her?

“I don’t want this.” Kori said, her voice calm. “But it must be.” Carlos bowed his head and gave her hand a squeeze. “Sir Ric?” She asked the Vauban at the back of the room. Ric hadn’t said a word.

“I feel… conflicted, Lady Kori.” Ric said after a moment. “You are my sister and my friend. You erred as Karl said, but you seek a better way. You took your punishment with honor.” He shook his head. “I do not remember this Phoenix. But my feelings are clear.” He bowed from the neck and quickly left the room. Kori slumped a bit.

“Please.” Kori begged the others. “Please do not think ill of me. I do not want this. But I have been told it must be.”

“Kori…” Two sounded sick to her stomach. “You made a mistake. You have fixed your mistake. Don’t give up.” She begged.

“I haven’t.” Kori said as the Kubrow in her lap whined a little. She patted the furred head gently. “But… Karl… We didn’t win.” Karl stood quiet and she continued. “How many hurt?”

“Everyone was hurt, Kori.” Alicia said into the silence that fell. “We couldn’t… We couldn’t harm them most of the time. Elemental attacks, blades, bullets, lasers, explosions… Nothing worked all the time.”

“They adapt.” Kori said softly. “So quickly, they adapt to our attacks. We cannot prepare for everything. It is simply not possible. So…” She bowed her head. “I was chosen. I accept the burden.” A growl silenced her.

I do not. The Kubrow snapped angrily in her odd mental speech. I will not let you go without a fight. Kori smiled a bit sadly as she petted the canid and it calmed slowly.

“There are some things you cannot fight, my friend.” Kori said quietly. “But thank you.” She said, her voice husky. ‘Brianna?” She asked when the woman gave a sob. “Please… don’t hate me…”

“I don’t.” Brianna said as she stepped close to Kori’s bed and laid her hands on Kori’s. The Kubrow moved, but not far. Just enough that Brianna could get close. “Are you… sure…?” She looked from Kori to Carlos who nodded slowly. “I…” She was crying now and Kori pulled her close. “Part of me wishes I had never met you.” Brianna said as she returned the embrace. “But most of me is glad to have known you. I wish…” She bowed her head. “I hurt you, so long ago. I wish I could undo what I did.”

“Brianna, you saved my life.” Kori said evenly. “The others would have torn me apart of you hadn’t realized I was sentient.” Brianna bowed her head as Carlos inhaled sharply. Kori shook her head. “Ancient history, brother. Not her fault.”

“My responsibility.” Brianna said soberly. “If you need… anything…” She hugged Kori tight. “Anything at all…”

“Thank you.” Kori said, hugging Brianna back. “You may never be Tenno, Brianna. But I consider you my sister. Sisters of pain and fear, but sisters nonetheless.” Brianna hugged her again and then ran from the room, her eyes streaming. “I… I didn’t want it to be like this…”

“It’s not your fault, Kori.” Karl said softly. “Not at all. Can you tell us what will happen?”

“I am not entirely sure.” Kori said looking at her brother. “Carlos?” The Oberon nodded and spoke evenly. But everyone could tell he was upset.

“During the second occurrence of this…” Carlos said quietly. “We found ourselves at a massive disadvantage. As we have seen, the enemy is amoral and vicious. They use any and every means to fight. Humans have no chance against them. Machines… somewhat.” He sighed. “But they learn fast and machines can be hacked.”

“So… what?” Will asked after a moment when no one else spoke. “Obviously, it is a weapon of some kind.”

“Yes and no.” Carlos said sadly. Kori held out a hand and he took it. “The physical representation of Phoenix is a Nikana. A unique Nikana. It can only be wielded by a specific person. The first to do so was the First Valcyr. She was a swordswoman. Her name was Nisa.”

“She died.” Kori breathed.

“Yes.” Carlos said with a sigh. “For the longest time, no one knew why. Or what had happened. Then…several hundred years later, the enemy came again. A sister was drawn by something she couldn’t understand to find the sword and draw it. When she did…” He bowed his head.

“When she did…” A new voice sounded and all turned to see Michelle standing in the doorway. Petra stood just behind her, the guard obviously agitated. “She began to be consumed by the sword’s power.” Carlos nodded to her. “I came as soon as I heard.”

“You shouldn’t be here, Michelle.” Kori said, rising from the bed. “Avalon needs you.”

“I was coming anyway.” Michelle said quietly. “To coordinate from here with the Royal Guard who are out. There have been attempted incursions through the portals. Mom has sealed them.” More than one of the listeners hissed in disbelief. “The defenses held them out, destroyed the few that made it past the doors, but…”

“A defense… no matter how good…” Kori mused. “…will only delay the inevitable. We must take the offensive.” She sighed. “And on that note… Will?”

“Yes, Kori?” Will asked form where he stood with Alicia.

“I haven’t used a sword in a long time.” She said quietly. “I used a Glaive or a Kestrel. I need to practice.”

“We have a nikana in the armory, Kori.” Will said, bowing slightly to her. “I will get it.”

“No.” Kori said fiercely enough that the Excalibur actually recoiled. “You are no servant! You are no slave! I refuse to treat you as such, you are Tenno! I am Tenno. I can get my own damn sword!” She rose to her full height and glared at the Excalibur. “I am not dead yet! I will fight. It is what Tenno do.”

“Now that is the Kori I barely remember.” Will said with a hint of fondness. He stepped forward and held out a hand. She took it and gave a squeeze. “I will set up a course for you. A familiarization one.”

“I appreciate it.” She bowed from the neck and he returned it. He spun on his heel and left the room. “Karl.” Kori said quietly.

“You have a higher calling, Kori.” Karl said softly. “If I or we may aid in any way, say so.”

“I will need a ship.” Kori stood in the center of the room and looked around at the other. “We have known each other only for a short time.” Kori said, tears threatening in her voice but not falling. Yet. “But I know you all. I trust you all.” She shook herself. “I am no mythical creature of fire and fury. I am Tenno, no more, no less. I follow the Code. For so long, I walked in darkness, surrounded by evil and used by it. I was rescued by Will. I wanted only to die. But now…” Her voice broke of a moment. “I want to live.”

Then live. The Kubrow said sharply. Fight what comes. You can. You are strong, Kori.

“And how may must die for my cowardice, my four legged friend?” Kori said quietly. The Kubrow slumped bit and did not respond. “No.” She shook her head. “No, I know what must be done and I will do it. I go to Earth.”

“Earth?” Two and Karl said as one. Carlos nodded.

“That is where the sword is entombed.” The Oberon said softly. “With its last wielder.”

“We will have a ship ready for you shortly.” Two looked at Karl and both left the room. Amelia followed, leaving Cecelia still crying to follow. Kori ran to the girl hugged her tight and let go. Cecelia hugged her back and then ran from the room.

“You didn’t tell them.” Carlos said as he came close to where Kori stood, tears falling.

“They would try to stop me.” Kori replied, dashing her tears away. “Us.” She nodded to the Kubrow who glared at her but remained silent.

“You know where we have to go.” Carlos said mildly. “Are you ready?”

“No.” Kori replied evenly. “How can you be ready to rob the tomb of the king of the sea?”

Hold on, I don't understand. Is this part of a long running series or is there some part of the story I'm missing out on? I'm a bit confused about all the comments about characters I haven't even read about in this story :/