Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make The Sniper Rifle Cool Again

SolemArgentium

Multi-target aiming with a Vectis.  That I'd like to see.

On a side note, a quality of sniper rifles is a low rate of fire allowing for users to pick off select targets at range.  A lock-on mechanic makes them too viable for use at close quarters to the point of overshadowing middle range weapons that would, by virtue, be better at these scenarios.

Now if we can actually remove the scanner-esque dim-the-lights effects and see through this dang fog...

R3uWG8e.jpg

Vectis does not approve.

*For some reason, turning off UI in screenshots removes your scope reticule while taking pictures too.

Edited by Shinobi-kun

Sniping Stance (and by "stance" I mean "scope") mods actually sounds like a legit way to fix these things, giving us access to different "modes" for our sniper.

We'd probably want to do this as a scope "object" that gets its own mods (points and slots) that we then pair with our sniper rifles.

Some mods for it...

Vision-based:

- Zoom: prefarably with the ability to toggle the enhanced (or de-hanced) zoom within a mission.

- IR Scan: kinda like how the Scanner's target highlighting works; applies to entire scope.

- Targetting Assistant: applies an overlay to any target within a small cone which color codes body sections based on the damage amp on that spot) OR adds a unit hologram in like, the lower right corner with the sections highlighted. Higher ranks can even add damage predictions and a "will Oneshot" note.

- Sneaking Assistant: provides a warning slash highlights enemies that will notice you if you were to fire and hit the target currently under the crosshair.

Damage-based:

- Heartseeker: Adds an additional multiplier for shooting the head (or a sonar blotch), but decreases all damage to other parts by the same multiplier- so with a +100%, you're looking at x2 on headshot/sonarshot, but x0.5 on bodyshot.

- Consistant:

Normalizes your damage so instead of rolling for multishot and crit, you fire only one bullet but deal the expected average (normalized) amount of damage based on your crit and multi stats.

A crit-modded Lanka (without Delay which is terrible on her) is at 90% multi 50% crit with a range of 1x to 8.4x in damage. Complete and utter slot machine. While giving them guaranteed crits might not be in order (based on others' comments), allowing those of us who want the RNG involved to die in a fire to actually make the RNG involved die in a fire would be nice.

- Auto/Multi-Targetting:

Allows you to tag multiple enemies to have the system automatically fire uppon. Works kinda like a scanner with a special firing button to use it. When you fire this, it aims center mass (aiming is important, especially if the gun is projectile), and fires at each enemy tagged. The shot's damage will be split evenly among all enemies marked, higher ranks will reduce a damage penalty (maybe even increase raw damage at one point), increase the max number of targets, and decrease the lock-on time.

I'm not so sure on this one because the speed has to be slow enough to not be OP but fast enough to be worth while using :/

Think I might put this in its own thread when I get back from errands.

How aobut

Sniper rifles always have 100% accuracy

that way heavy caliber is really good with them

They actually changed how Heavy Cal worked because of snipers, bows, the Dera, and Flux because they *didn't* want it to work like that.

So I say no to that because that was already changed to not be the case.

Plus, *modding* for damage isn't their problem.

Pff, Hyperion snipers. I'll stick with my Jakobs, thank you, all the power none of that damn scope wobble

And I laugh at your Jakobs with my Maliwan-made Dandy Corinthian (Jakobs stock, Hyperion Grip)) and its elemental nature. Only thing more accurate is a Siah-Siah Muckamuck (with the same stock/grip), and that can't be elemental.

And then I just get a Chain Lightning grenade and only use the scope on my non-Moloko.

Speaking of which, I totally want a Moloko in this game O_O It might be terrible as it may have been reliant on Anarchy, Close Enough, and like half of the Little Big Trouble tree, but oh man I loved that Shock Moloko that I had...

Neither did I, the BL2 snipers however shot at much higher velocities than our bows, or at least that's my explanation for why It's a hell of a lot easier for me to lead and hit with BL2 snipers than Warframe Bows.  

Partly that, partly drop off, partly BL2's AI moved in a lot more logical manner, partly BL2's distances always feel easier to judge (to me, anyways).

Then again, I only did sniping when my anarchy stacks were low (up till around 100 stacks that Dandy Corinthian I was talking about above was deadly accurate; Keep meaning to try an Anarchic Sniper build one of these days, running off of Discord; Blood Soaked Shields were insanely good for a sniperlike duty since every kill reset how long you could remain exposed to enemy fire). Rest of the time it was

- Is Facef*** Range a bad idea?
-- No?

--- Am I in facef*** range yet?

---- No? Get into facef*** range while throwing Magic Missiles. Summon Deathtrap if taking too much fire.

---- Yes? CONFRENCE CALL!!!

-- Yes?

--- S#&$. I hate Badass Threshers. Why do we keep fighting Badass Threshers?

--- Summon Deathtrap preferably BEFORE I get knocked into FFYL

--- Magic Missile for slag. Needs Slag bad.

--- Confrence Call if the tents are bothering me, Moloko otherwise.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Vision-based:

- Zoom: prefarably with the ability to toggle the enhanced (or de-hanced) zoom within a mission.

pls no

just let all Weapons. ALL WEAPONS. have a variable zoom that i can set and have be saved permanently. 

anywhere from 1x to like 50x. no Mods for it, just let me zoom how much i want. 

Magnification in this style of game being used as a 'balance' factor, is garbage. 

99% of the Weapons in the game have Zoom that's too high for me. not just Sniper Rifles, even generic Rifles are zooming to like, 1.45x or something like that, and that's way too much for me. 

just have open variable Zoom. if i want to have 50x on my Bronco, i should be able to, since it's not useful anyways.

pls no

just let all Weapons. ALL WEAPONS. have a variable zoom that i can set and have be saved permanently. 

anywhere from 1x to like 50x. no Mods for it, just let me zoom how much i want. 

Magnification in this style of game being used as a 'balance' factor, is garbage. 

99% of the Weapons in the game have Zoom that's too high for me. not just Sniper Rifles, even generic Rifles are zooming to like, 1.45x or something like that, and that's way too much for me. 

just have open variable Zoom. if i want to have 50x on my Bronco, i should be able to, since it's not useful anyways.

Not opposed to variable zoom on all weapons (I'd love to be able to zoom more on my Dera when I want to), just seems like something that, if they wanted to give it to us, they would have already.

Edited by TheBlueJelly