Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Specters - A New Hope.

OptimumBow0

And I'm being 100% serious.

As most of us know, for the past few hours, threads have been created with much speed, listing off all the things wrong with Specters and how they're not worth it, that they aren't that much of an incentive to stealth the new Rescue missions.

I'd say they're right. Sorta. I mean, DE has to fix them with all the complaints.

Yet, amongst the ashes of this reactionary proclamation (calm down), there is a shining coal, something we must cling to, something that can give us happiness of the satisfied-consumer variety: the Specter BPs are not dependent on RNG.

They're rewarded based on your demonstrated skill in completing an objective. Higher the skill = (Theoretically) a greater reward. It's definitely not perfect, but does that matter? The framework for a skill based rewards system is still there, and it can be improved.

I, for one, welcome our new Specter Overlords Sidekicks, for they are (quite possibly) the heralds of a brighter future for this game, one less dependent on RNG.

Let the tears flow. Or not. Depends on how much faith you have in DE, I guess.

Keep doing what you're doing devs, you're headed in the right direction.

I'm more hoping that it means AI support for solo players... but then probably not, because they'd want you to just farm these instead... and I hear they are a pain to make

There's a good amount of threads about the cost. Perhaps there could be a change.

This human sees the glass half-full... I hate him.

Friend, I get a really positive attitude whenever I make a thread. It's weird. Still, I stand by what I have proclaimed.

Oh of course I support the concept of specter sidekicks. I'm a summoner nut, and having any sort of minions is something I wholeheartedly support its existence in any game so long as it was implemented right (ex. Path of Exile). And I also like the idea that the reward is based on how well you performed your job, so I hope DE continues to run with it and figure out other ways to add it to other missions.

But, yeah, the specters still need a buff.

I do, indeed, have faith!

I appreciate the step that DE's taking in this regard. It really is quite wonderful, and like you said, the mechanism has been set here all along.

What I do especially like about this, is that even though you have to farm for the blueprints, they are, regardless of the cost, one way to go about playing this game especially if you're a solo player.

What I do want to know, however, is how these guys perform in missions such as Interception, where some intelligence on the part of the AI is needed. 

On the REALLY bright side, they have near-perfect aiming! All AI in this game do, so I'm just going to equip the highest DPS weapon on it, regardless of fire rate, cause goodness knows, I always need an extra guy handy with a big gun :D

You know what I REAAAAAALLY want to see next? 

That quest system DE keeps talking about. Seeing that reward tiers now, they can rework so many things. Spy, Deception, Exterminate, all the lesser played modes. The more skilled you are, the harder the map, the better rewards you get. Risk vs Reward, as notionphil says. When the rewards are good enough to rival Survival/Defence, or even if only the level challenge rivals those, then we have ourselves some unique, stand-out missions people will come back to play again. This is what I wish for.

But the extension of all this is a quest system, with quest rewards. For a long time, we've been complaining about mandatory things. Through a quest reward, it'd be awesome if we could just get these mandatory things with a little bit of hard work through the quest system. 

That's still a long way to go, though. Anyways, thumbs up and lotsa love to DE for this particular step in this particular direction. <3

glad to find this post.

specters need a buff? yes.
will it be hard to balance? yes.
do i have faith in DE? absolutely yes.
less RNG, more skill based rewards? hell yeaah!!

DE should do a megathread with templates like they did for melee 2.0 for this.