The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Was Wondering...is It Possible To Convert Platinum Back Into Cash?

Net123

Question

14 answers to this question

I don't know of any game anywhere that has purchasable in game currency that you can do that.  I doubt Warframe is any different.

A few games allows you to pay your month-fee with a premium currency like our platiniums.

I heard people were making a bit of money via the Auction House in Diablo 3 but I didn't really listen how.

But yeah, for this exact thing, Money for plats, no way. Not unless you breach the Terms of service, like a Gold Seller in World of Warcraft, and you don't want to do that.

Edited by NjaII

This would lead to so many abuses, we are better without that system.

That's also why we can trade platinum, but can't trade credits, because credits would be farmed for free and sold by chinese farmers, whereas platinum is issued by DE for money and it would be difficult to earn a profit while selling them at a lower price than DE.

At recent Eve online conventions PLEX, one of the in game currencies earned or purchased with real cash could be converted to a PLEX coin good as cash at the venders populating the convention. That's about as close as I've heard of a game currency being cashed out. There was Diablo gear and WOW stuff that used to be sold on eBay, but I don't know how prominent that still is.

>People are making money of the game they play.

Sign me up for that game!

TF2 and the Steam Market is probably the most well-known "safe" example outside of an actual occupation like gold farming. Nobody's making a living off trading in TF2 but certain combinations of hats and cosmetic effects can sell for very high prices, with the infamous example of the Burning Team Captain that marked up around $5,000 at one point (not sure if anything has outstripped that since I don't really pay much attention to the market or TF2 anymore).

There is no in-game way to exchange plat for money. Theoretically someone could make a deal with someone else "I'll give you X dollars and you give me Y plat in game" but of course such deals made outside of the game are not endorsed or enforced by the developers of the game, not to mention it would probably be a bad idea because of the risk.

That said, even if you could get, for your plat, the exact rate that it is worth in the market in cash, it seems to me like it would be an extraordinarily inefficient way to make money. How much plat could you really make in an hour, if you grind for rare mods or prime parts and then traded them? Maybe 10-20 at the most? You would have to play all day to make $10 worth of plat. Get a job!