The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea I Have Been Toying With-

Cwierz

Call me insane from the heavy dosage of dark souls 2 I have recently had, but I think that warframes could do with invincibility frames during rolling. Yes warframes can roll. Yes I am aware you are knockdown proof during some frames.

Things this would need to work-

Longer rolls (2x the length)

Discuss.

Rolling already has no-knockdown frames and that's enough for me

Why stop there?

Invincibility frames during rolling is part of what makes skill progression in the souls franchise. Its a relatively simple concept, that works well in third person games and helps to create some form of avoiding ranged attacks as a melee user.

Call me insane from the heavy dosage of dark souls 2 I have recently had, but I think that warframes could do with invincibility frames during rolling. Yes warframes can roll. Yes I am aware you are knockdown proof during some frames.

Things this would need to work-

Longer rolls (2x the length)

Discuss.

Erm, doesn't Dark Souls 2 actually have no invincibility frames during rolls because people abused the hell out of it in the first one?

Erm, doesn't Dark Souls 2 actually have no invincibility frames during rolls because people abused the hell out of it in the first one?

Well with that statement there are two possibilities

I am super 1337 and beat the game with no invicibility frames whatsoever and pvp on a regular basis in it 

OR

They still exist.

Gonna have to go with the second. They were abused in the first, but mostly because of how ludicrous it could be sometimes, it generally has better logic for determining if you are being hit. (IE: No more rolling into a spear, although you can still do it to magic)

They were intended by the developer as a way of adding skill based damage mitigation in a game lacking advanced movement capabilities.

Warframe has advanced movement by comparison, but the AI is poorly designed and has bouts of perfect accuracy or the inability to shoot in your direction. (unless its projectile based, but even then AOE)

I really want either an AI change, or new mechanics added as ways to mitigate damage. Its silly that the only way to reasonably survive as a low shields low health frame in solo at t3 towers is to be modded as F*** as one of the bulkiest frames (frost, rhino, valkyr, sayrn) or use powers that grant invincibility of some kind (snow globe, blessing, hysteria).

Dodging should be a viable form of survival with skill barriers to entry. 

This was just an idea to add to that.

This isn't a character action game, and many frames purposely have detriments of not having any good defenses or defensive abilities to hinder them.

Enemies, their scaling, and gameplay needs to be fixed and that's the main issue with DE not creating good content to match the mmorpg type system.

Edited by GSDAkatsuki

This isn't a character action game, and many frames purposely have detriments of not having any good defenses or defensive abilities to aid them.

Not sure "character action" is a genre, but okay.

Yes some warframes have the detriment of bad defenses, but they have better mobility. One would think this mobility would be used for menial tasks such as dodging because that's kinda a basic in games. 

Fast things with low defenses are better at dodging rather than taking hits.

Slow things with big defenses are better at taking hits rather than dodging.

These "tropes" exist for a reason. Namely gameplay variety as the sole motivator. But just having things with low defenses just having to "deal w/it" instead of providing their own ways for damage mitigation is asking for a bad time. With the blessing nerf supposedly incoming people will probably have a better idea of this next time they try for the Ub3r 1337 h1gh 3nd sur\/1\/aL

I may be out of my gourd on this, but I would swear sometimes that we already have a few frames of invulnerability.  However not during a roll, but briefly at the start of a slide.  Quite often I slide through void lasers whilst taking no damage and I've slid straight through Ruk and the fire leaders' AOE blast, moving straight towards the enemy more than a handful of times unharmed.

Initially I chalked it up to lag, but I've done both while I was the host.  I also do the same thing when fighting Kril or any Heavy Gunner to run back and forth through their line of fire unscathed.  With both the lasers and Gorgon bullets it could just be the hitboxes moving in the right way where I end up avoiding the hits, but that doesn't explain the fireblast avoidance.

I may be out of my gourd on this, but I would swear sometimes that we already have a few frames of invulnerability.  However not during a roll, but briefly at the start of a slide.  Quite often I slide through void lasers whilst taking no damage and I've slid straight through Ruk and the fire leaders' AOE blast, moving straight towards the enemy more than a handful of times unharmed.

Initially I chalked it up to lag, but I've done both while I was the host.  I also do the same thing when fighting Kril or any Heavy Gunner to run back and forth through their line of fire unscathed.  With both the lasers and Gorgon bullets it could just be the hitboxes moving in the right way where I end up avoiding the hits, but that doesn't explain the fireblast avoidance.

If you have a certain type of momentum you can go through those "damage walls," like Laser Doors and fire waves from leaders, usually at the start of a slide.  In the case of Gorgon fire they just suck at adjusting their aim when you move like that. 

If you have a certain type of momentum you can go through those "damage walls," like Laser Doors and fire waves from leaders, usually at the start of a slide.  In the case of Gorgon fire they just suck at adjusting their aim when you move like that. 

Those are frames where you're immune to knockdown. That's different.

Those are frames where you're immune to knockdown. That's different.

I believe that the damage is tied to the knockdown, since you still do not receive shield damage if you slide attack through Laser Doors on the right frames and I have shrugged off Fire Leader waves with a direct line of sight in a similar manner.

Edited by RealPandemonium

Disclaimer:  I can't quote posts for some unbeknownst to me reason, so this is in regards to what RealPandemonium said of my post.

Yeah, I was aware of being able to slide through the laser doors and the likes of them, however in the past those had required far less precise timing, or at least it did in my memory.  The Gorgon issue is a bit of a hitch though, I know the foes have bad turning speed and use that to my advantage constantly.  However the example I was getting at is a bit more "odd", just to break it down;

Me;  Zips off to my left to avoid gunfire.

Kril; Sluggishly turns right to try and murderify me to death.

Me; Turns to my right and runs back towards his line of fire, then slides for a brief instant just as I would hit said line of fire.

Kril; Swears profusely in Grineer at the fact that I just ran through his bullets, for the seventeenth time in a row.

It's always possible that where I was as I crossed his line of fire was just not occupied by a bullet at that very moment.  But when it happens repeatedly at the... 15 rounds per second?(I think... I hate the Gorgon too much to remember for sure) that are whizzing out of his gun.

Either way I attempted it versus a Railgun MOA one time and had a quite strange result.  It fired like usual, and I didn't take damage, however that could've easily been a missed shot, so who knows.  But my Shade started shooting at it '_'  I have yet to ever replicate that one though, so I've always chalked it up to just being a bug or something.

Edited by (PS4)Bobtm0