Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wandering Around Lost For 10 Minutes Is Not Awesome

securitywyrm

So I spent the past 10 minutes in a mission with 3 other people, all of us running around trying to figure out where to go next. It was one of those 'kill all the enemies' maps so we didn't have a clue which way to go. There's probably a vent in a dark place somewhere we had to shoot and go through a tunnel or something, but we didn't find it. I quit out of frustration.

There was a gameplay video of Skyrim that sold me instantly on buying it: the clairvoyance spell. I. HATE. BEING. LOST. Being lost is not fun. Being lost makes me want to quit and uninstall the game. Granted, I'm more sensitive about this than others, but I refuse to be 'lost' in a video game. I want to know where I have to go to reach the next objective.

What would make this game go from C- to A- would be a button like in Bioshock Infinite to put a line on the floor of where you need to go for the next objective. That's it. The quest marker is currently too vague when you have multiple-level rooms and have to search each floor to find which one has the pipe you have to break open.

The reason I say A- is because the upgrade system needs its own tutorial.

Actually, the minimap doesn't indicate the way very well. Sometimes you'll go into a new room and it'll point you back at the old one- you'll go into the old one, and it'll seemingly point you at the new room again in and endless cycle of wtf-lost.

It happens most in Corpus-y maps, I think? The reason it happens is because there's a door directly *above* the one you're going through, but the map doesn't indicate multiple levels very well and the staircases can sometimes be a little hidden, so you don't realise the doorway you want is actually the one above.

I used to have this particular problem as well, the minimap is "accurate" the the doors you need to go to, but not up or down. I think a ghost trail system that leads to the waypoint should be implemented for this :P

I used to have this particular problem as well, the minimap is "accurate" the the doors you need to go to, but not up or down. I think a ghost trail system that leads to the waypoint should be implemented for this :P

It's really not necessary a small amount of situational awareness is all people need. Gamers today make me cry.(screw you bioshock infinite arrow system)

It's really not necessary a small amount of situational awareness is all people need. Gamers today make me cry.(screw you bioshock infinite arrow system)

The interface of the game should not be part of the difficulty of the game. Under your logic, the game crashing is just 'part of the challenge that pushes you to complete the mission as fast as possible.'

Or is your argument "This does not personally benefit me, so I am against any resources going towards it." Thank you very much Senator.

This would help NEW players a lot, and this is a free to play MMO. New players are new, they don't know where they're going, and when they get separated from the group it can be very frustrating to be lost and hear that there's a battle going on that they don't know how to get to. Less frustration for new players = more long-term players.

The interface of the game should not be part of the difficulty of the game. Under your logic, the game crashing is just 'part of the challenge that pushes you to complete the mission as fast as possible.'

Or is your argument "This does not personally benefit me, so I am against any resources going towards it." Thank you very much Senator.

This would help NEW players a lot, and this is a free to play MMO. New players are new, they don't know where they're going, and when they get separated from the group it can be very frustrating to be lost and hear that there's a battle going on that they don't know how to get to. Less frustration for new players = more long-term players.

Your comparison there, does not fit.. Every game/program etc. crashes >sometime<, thus you save your progress often? That's more

of a situational awareness?

I believe it's fine as it is, you still need to experience this once and go "Aha!" and then that problem is no more.

Plus it adds to the gameplay, since not every path is straight forward. But no to a pointing line on the ground. A simple color change,

for up or down is all (Maybe a ^ or v sign at most.).

But then people will complain about the color and not knowing which is up or down though. Oh well! (Sarcastic :))

Don't see the problem, it hindered me a minute the first time it happened for me. Then I knew if it happened again, I would know what

to look for. But I like puzzles too~

The interface is a part of the game, hence it could very well be a part of the difficulty. It is merely your preference that it shouldn't be.

(I am not saying I don't feel the same way, just that it can be.)

- Everto Fateor

If anything there's needs to be a height level indicator for the radar.

I don't understand why this is even an argument. This would solve any issue people have with the radar. At the very least, it would allow us to identify if it is bugging out or it is our fault.

Edited by Camylia

Your comparison there, does not fit.. Every game/program etc. crashes >sometime<, thus you save your progress often? That's more

of a situational awareness?

I believe it's fine as it is, you still need to experience this once and go "Aha!" and then that problem is no more.

Plus it adds to the gameplay, since not every path is straight forward. But no to a pointing line on the ground. A simple color change,

for up or down is all (Maybe a ^ or v sign at most.).

But then people will complain about the color and not knowing which is up or down though. Oh well! (Sarcastic :))

Don't see the problem, it hindered me a minute the first time it happened for me. Then I knew if it happened again, I would know what

to look for. But I like puzzles too~

The interface is a part of the game, hence it could very well be a part of the difficulty. It is merely your preference that it shouldn't be.

(I am not saying I don't feel the same way, just that it can be.)

- Everto Fateor

Because some of us are old. I'm 30+, I'm not good at video games. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.

I'm also fully employed, which means I wouldn't hesitate to toss $50 into the game if I'm going to get a lot of hours of enjoyment out of it.

The older gamer is a demographic that has a lot of disposable income. Warframe can attract this demographic because it has a fast play time (You can hop in, run a mission, hop out). Same reason that Hearthstone by Blizzard is going to be insanely popular.

You say that you like puzzles. That's fine. Don't use the key that tells you which way to go. In fact, stick a post-it note on your screen over the map, and add a 'new level' of challenge to your game.

It still seems that your argument against this feature is "It does not benefit me."

I don't really see the issue here except as usual, people being horribly lazy to understand the most basic of things. If you go in a direction it tells you and then it suddently shows back as soon as you enter a new room then it means only one thing. That is not the entrance you're looking for, there is one either above or bellow you. I don't see how this can be any difficult to find out.

The mini-map already indicates the way.

wrong is currently a sort of bug causes the minimap to spaz out and send you in circles. had it happen several times... best thing to do when it happens is to abort and redo the mission save yourself so much heartache.

I don't really see the issue here except as usual, people being horribly lazy to understand the most basic of things. If you go in a direction it tells you and then it suddently shows back as soon as you enter a new room then it means only one thing. That is not the entrance you're looking for, there is one either above or bellow you. I don't see how this can be any difficult to find out.

except sometimes isnt another entrance...give a good example in one of the missions is a section with 3 archways in center of the room, no upper level or lower level to this area... its a flat area no vents, not crawl spaces no secret passages yet crossing the archway causes the marker to reset back way you came, moving forward past arch sends it back way you just came.

If isnt a bug its clearly a faulty design in the minimap marker system. However i'm pretty sure this is actually a bug causes this...

Edited by LordLokai

So you think that those with a problem should not have a way to fix it because you don't face the same problem.

So do you also object to handicap accessible buildings because you have two good legs? Do you object to Braile on signs because you have two good eyes? Do you object to closed captioning because you have two good ears?

We've already established that, for you, navigating the maps is not significantly difficult. Why are you objecting to a feature that would enable others who aren't as good at you at navigation to at least keep up with you in the map?

So you think that those with a problem should not have a way to fix it because you don't face the same problem.

So do you also object to handicap accessible buildings because you have two good legs? Do you object to Braile on signs because you have two good eyes? Do you object to closed captioning because you have two good ears?

We've already established that, for you, navigating the maps is not significantly difficult. Why are you objecting to a feature that would enable others who aren't as good at you at navigation to at least keep up with you in the map?

In first place lets not take things out of context with your first idiotic analogy. This is not about people having a brain problem and not being able to figure things out. If they said, hey, there is an enemy on this level, find it out and you get no help. But no, you do get help, it's in a room in this direction. If you enter a room and it suddenly tell you back then it obvious that the direction you were going is right, the room it's not however. It is even accurate enough to show you exactly the entry point, as in, if you have 2 doors, one on the left and one of the right it will tell you which. So it's only a case of, if it's not this room then let's look up for a bridge or an airduct and if not, let's look down, is there space bellow me (as in are you standing on a bridge or something of the like. The game is awefully obvious in telling you where to go, the is no need for an autodrive mode.

Because some of us are old. I'm 30+, I'm not good at video games.

This right here has to be the lamest excuse for why someone sucks at games. I am 36, employed, and I tend to destroy people at games. You suck, not your age.

If you are having issues locating a target because every time you go through a door the target marker goes back to the room you where just in, here is a HINT, look for a door above or below the one you keep using.

This right here has to be the lamest excuse for why someone sucks at games. I am 36, employed, and I tend to destroy people at games. You suck, not your age.

If you are having issues locating a target because every time you go through a door the target marker goes back to the room you where just in, here is a HINT, look for a door above or below the one you keep using.

Okay, I suck at the game.

That doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, and it certainly doesn't mean I won't spend money on it.

So, why are you objecting to a feature that lets the guy who sucks on your team, and face it, at some point I or someone like me will be on your team, to catch up and contribute in the fight instead of coming behind you a minute after the battle is over?

This benefits you, because it will let the people who aren't good at the game to at least catch up and contribute.

look, certainly we may have put things in not the nicest of ways but well, people and myself too of course tend to be a by cynical at times. Now, that aside we did told how to deal with the situation, if it's not in front of you, it's either above or bellow. In a party you're likelly to have at least someone who will find the way and say, this ways guys, or just call you in some way if the chat doesn't works like shooting and stuff.

We can understand some people are not good at it when they start but we at very least expect some improvement, taking tips and really, this is a situation that probably not 5% of the players will have a problem and if they ever do, it's a once in a game and then they learn. There is no need for an autodrive mode, I just want to know the general direction, not have a bloody 3D GPS, that is dumbing down a game that what it actually needs is more complexity.

Mini-map bugs are pretty rare now. Getting more rare. Otherwise though it is just sort of buggy about a couple things.

First bug, the one most complained about in this thread, "Enter a room while following the waypoint, and it turns around and points back to the previous room." If it's the directional waypoint "objective marker", then there was another door in the previous room on a different level over or under the door you just used. Go use that one. There you learned that one, you won't be lost again now. (Yes this might be fixed if there was a height indicator.)

If the marker was like a player placed waypoint, or a mark of the next exterminate target, then sometimes it's because they got passed you, or because of some programming oddity. This one is getting a bit glitchy lately and needs some fixing.

The other glitchy mini-map marker ends up not showing the waypoint, or showing the waypoint just completely outside of the room you are in not pointing to any particular exit from the room. This occurs mostly when another part of the ship ends up passing through the same room. You won't see it, but it is basically what happens, a later part of the ship along the objective path ended up getting too close to the room you are in. When this happens currently, just wander around for a bit. Go far enough in the right direction and the waypoint will correct itself and give you the right directions.

The only true bug about waypoints right now is that sometimes when joining a game and getting downed before you load, the mini-map loads incorrectly and won't move even though you are moving. This is a real bug but I think they have attempted to fix it. Not sure on the status of this issue, but still it happened mostly when the mini-map wasn't loaded before you got downed.