Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Concept For Restructuring The Corpus Unit Placement

Krion112

In-game, I find two things odd: One, every last Crewman is armed with a gun, even though their name doesn't suggest a position as carrying a gun all the time, and Two, why do the Corpus throw more lives at us than robots when the whole point of them having robots seems to supplement their lack of actual military forces.

As such, I came up with this idea:

I feel the regular Crewman unit should be remade, and split into two different units: The Security Crewman and the Crewman. Also, just for noting it, I feel like the Detron Crewmen should be given a different name than just 'Crewman'

The Security Crewmen would retain all the current crewmen's weapons and abilities: the Dera and the ability to throw plasma grenades, with an upgrade to their aim. Aesthetically, they would retain the cream-colored suit but the upper arms would have a band of teal, the color used on Moas, as well as various markings in teal between their shoulders and helmet. On higher difficulties, Security Crewmen get replaced with Elite Crewmen.

The regular Crewmen would be downgraded to somewhere between the Security Crewmen and the Prod Crewmen. Initially, they would start off unarmed. If the area is unalerted, they will have a higher chance to spawn than Security Crewmen, but on alert, they have a smaller chance to spawn. They could probably be seen doing maintenence, like working on those data panels and looking through the various computers and systems.

Once alerted however, either by the alarm being sounded or nearby units alerting your presence, they would run to a new variant of locker which would be colored orange or blue, open it, and pull out a either a Braton or Tetra (dependent upon Rank maybe) in an attempt to protect themselves. If a data console is closer, they would run to alert the ship first instead. Even if they have armed themselves, though, they would have a higher chance than any other Crewman type to run for the alarm.

If regular Crewmen spawn in other tiles and the alarm is still on, they will be spawned already wielding Bratons, encouraging stealth play to prevent everyone having a gun.

Also, regular Crewmen would not be present in Defense, Interception, or Survival missions.

Moas and other offensive proxies should spawn in greater numbers than Crewmen. Not necessarily in one big clump, but they should trickle in noticeably more than then the standard Crewmen, like making more use of the Moa cabinets and creating more ways for Moas and Ospreys to arrive into a fight. However, if the area is not on alert, the numbers of initial proxies will be lower.

Ideas for more ways of Proxies arriving:

Ceiling Ports - Ospreys could be deployed from ceiling containers that would fold back revealing a docked, upside-down Osprey (kind of like a sleeping Bat). When deploying, the section would open, the holding clamps would extend down, still holding the Osprey, and then release the Osprey. After releasing, they would retract back into the ceiling.

Robotic Assembler - Like the Jupiter Fusion Moa assembling tanks, but smaller and destroyable. They would constantly spawn Moas, similar to the Kubrow Dens constantly spawning Feral Kubrows. They would be destroyable, and would not be present in Exterminate missions

Just food for thought.

Agree or disagree with something? Feel free to tell me; feedback is important.

Edited by Krion112

+1, There definitely needs to be a stronger emphasis on the fact that Crewmen aren't really fighters, and have them take a back seat to the MOAs and act more as a support class than the bulk of their forces. To quote myself from a similar thread, this was my idea of a possible Crewman hierarchy:

-Standard Crewman: Your regular crewman worker, is only equipped with a prova or a basic energy repeater initially, but if they spot the player they will attempt to summon MOAs or get a better weapon (such as a Tetra) from a depository. They are not prepared for combat and are incredibly cowardly; they will only fight as a last resort and will frequently fall back behind robots

-Repair Crewman: Wield Spectras (normal) and Flux Rifles (Elite); rather than engage the player directly they will fire their lasers at nearby proxies, repairing them if damaged as well as boosting their max health and damage output moderately. Repair Crewmen are just about as cowardly as standard Crewmen, although the Elites are less reluctant to fight you.

-Corpus Soldiers: Equipped with powerful shields, Dera rifles, and slightly reinforced suits, Soldiers are the successors to the current Crewmen we fight now. They are somewhat tougher than their current counterparts but are also rarer, still taking a back seat to MOAs and other proxies and will only spawn occasionally in small security squads. Still carry grenades and can even deploy smaller Ospreys for support.

-Sniper Crewman: Equipped with a cloaking shield, Snipers are difficult to trace due to their ability to hide in plain sight. Thankfully, the glow from their Lanka rifles gives their location away. About on par health-wise with Soldiers; also note that once their shields are down they can no longer cloak unless their shield recharges.

-Corpus Tech: It's already been confirmed that Techs will be getting an overhaul soon, most likely with a power-loader suit of some kind, so we can look forward to that. Ideally, in addition to retaining their Supra rifle as a mounted cannon, they should be able to repair and empower multiple proxies at once, and even summon large Ospreys (Oxium and Fusion drones) into combat.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Much agreed. I would also like to see a Crewmen variant, dubbed "Corpus Engineer" that wields the Spectra.

Yeah, the Corpus need an active repairman on the battlefield. Someone who could heal up robotic units and what not.

+1, There definitely needs to be a stronger emphasis on the fact that Crewmen aren't really fighters, and have them take a back seat to the MOAs and act more as a support class than the bulk of their forces. To quote myself from a similar thread, this was my idea of a possible Crewman hierarchy:

Indeed. The Corpus don't strike me as being a military organization. They would have security and military-type units, like Security Crewmen, Elite Crewmen, and Moas, but it doesn't seem right that an unalerted ship or station has every last Crewman armed. A change like this could set them away from the Grineer, as currently the Grineer and Corpus are indestinguishable in tactics.

I think they should be more civilian like or redone as engineers, to bad the twin gremlins is Grineer tech.

I wouldn't say civilian like, but they need more of the 'We build robots because we're not tough enough to fight our own battles," mentality that's suggested in their lore.

• 3 weeks later...

-Bump- For eyes and thoughts

Also, saw Devstream 31 and I thought this could tie into the new warframe's power, as the standard Crewman I talked about above would run to a weapons locker only to be horribly destroyed by the locker itself.