Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Alternate Genders For Elemental Warframes - Updated With Sylph, "male Zephyr"

DeadScream

Hi ! 

Here I'm working on alternate genders for elemental warframes (Ember, Volt, Frost, Saryn, Mag, Hydroid, Zephyr) as a start. It's not my first post about creating new sets of abilities for existing warframes, but here it is. 

We will probably not get opposite gender equivalents of our warframes, but the ideas are here for the abilities more than the warframe, though I will try and expand on their lore if I find time and support. 

The idea is a new 4 powers set for each warframe, every power being alternatable with it's number equivalent ("1" powers can only be switched with other "1" powers)

Let's start !

Sylph, male wind warframe  

Synergy with Zephyr

When a Zephyr and a Sylph get together in a same squad, they gain 0.1 sprint speed and a slight damage buff on abilities. 

ABILITIES

Push : 25 energy cost - Increases the caster's movement speed by 20%/25%/30%/35% for a 5/7/10/12 sec duration. Also buffs teammate's speed, but unlike Volt's speed, doesn't improve the attack speed by any mean. 

Guardian Wings : 50 energy cost - Protects the user by slowing down nearby enemies and repulse melee attackers (instant knock-back if an enemy melees you).

Duration : 10/12/14/18 sec.

Can be used on team mates if targeted. If no target, the GW applies to the caster by default.

Allies and caster can benefit from this ability at the same time.

Wind Blades : 75 energy cost - Creates a long wind corridor in front of the caster, slowing down enemies and dealing them high slash damage.

Lenght : 25/27/30/35m (affected by power range)

Width : 6/7/9/12m (also affected by power range)

Damage : 300 slash damage per second to any enemy inside the corridor (affected by power strenght mods). 50% status chance per second.   

Tempest : 100 energy cost - A strong wind confuses all enemies in a big area, reducing their movement speed and their accuracy, and also dealing them moderate slash damage. 

Area (follows the caster) : 15/17/20/22m radius. 

Duration : 8/10/14/18 sec. 

Effects (15-22m) : 100 slash damage / second with 20% status chance. 20% speed debuff. 20% accuracy debuff. 

Effects (7-15m) : 200 slash damage / second with 50% status chance. 50% speed debuff, 50% accuracy debuff. 

Effects (0-7m) : 100% push-back chance with instantaneous 300 slash damage with 50% status chance.

Nessie, female water warframe

Synergy with Hydroid

When a Nessie and a Hydroid get together in a same team, they benefit from an increased health. 

ABILITIES 

Boil : 25 energy cost - boils the water inside an organic enemy, stunning him and dealing him heavy damage. Doesn't work on machines. 

Duration (stun + DoT) : 3/4/5/6 sec (affected by power duration mods)

Damage : 50/75/100/150 finisher damage per second (affected by strenght, not affected by armor nor shields.) 

Increasing the duration allows to also increase the total damage. 

Only 1/1/2/2 enemies can suffer from this ability at a time. 

Haze : 50 energy cost - Summons heavy haze around all enemies in a 12/15/17/20m radius, greatly reducing their accuracy and slowing them down for a 5/6/8/12 sec duration. 

Basically each enemy is surrounded by a cloud. It's not a big cloud on a 20m radius, but small clouds around every enemy who stands in the 20m radius when the ability is activated. 

Liquefy : 75 energy cost, can be uncasted before the end of the duration - Changes the caster into a human-like water form, unable to use his weapons but also unable to take any form of damage except electricity. You can move when the ability is active, and standing on enemies deal them 200 suffocation damage per second. 

Duration : 5/6/7/10 sec.

Tempest : 100 energy cost - Creates a heavy cloud 3m from the ground, covering a 12/14/17/20m area. The relentless rain from the cloud deals slows down every enemy, with 40% stun chance per second. Each shot addressed to the cloud instantly channels the shot's damage to all enemies in the area, transforming the tempest into a rain of bullets. 

Ampera, female electricity warframe

Synergy with Volt 

Whenever Ampera or Volt uses an ability within a 30m radius from her/his equivalent, the other electricity frame recovers half the energy consumed by the caster. 

POWERS

Lightning Bolt : 25 energy cost - Similar to Ember's Fire Ball but with electric damage instead of fire. 

Electric Cage : 50 energy cost - Summons a 10m radius electric field where the caster is aiming, dealing electric DoT to enemies inside it and stunning them if they go out of it or enter it. Not affected by power range.

Duration : 4/5/6/8 sec. 

Stack : 1/2/3/4 cages according to mod level. 

Damage (DoT) : 100 electricity damage per second (affected by power strenght) ; 20% status chance

Damage (edge) : 300 electricity damage, 100% status chance (affected by power strenght)

Concussion : 75 energy cost - Uses the surrounding environment to inflict a quick electric shock to any nearby enemy. 

Base range : 12m radius (affected by power range mods, and twiced by water and metallic surfaces)

Base damage : 400 electric damage (affected by power strenght mods, and twiced by water and metallic surfaces)

100% electricity status chance

/!\ actually, that's how I would like Volt's abilities to work. 

Discharge : 100 energy cost - Concentrates the electricity in a wide energy beam, quickly traveling a 70m distance and channeling through enemies with 100% status chance. 

Damage (direct contact with the beam) : 1500 electricity damage (affected by power strenght) 

Damage (channeled) : 1000 electricity damage, -100 per enemy. 

Crystal, female ice warframe

More focused on attack and crowd control, rather than defense. 

Synergy : 

If a Crystal and a Frost get together in a same squad, they benefit from a 7m radius freezing aura, halving the movement and attack speed in any enemy in range.

POWERS

Frozen Sword : 25 energy cost - Changes the 1/2/3/5 next melee attacks into ice strikes with 100% status chance and 60%/70%/80%/100% cold damage boost. 

Blizzard :  50 energy cost - Leaves a persistent cold wave in front of the caster on a 6/7/9/12m radius area (affected by power range) for 4/5/7/10 sec (affected by power duration). Deals no damage, but enemies inside it can barely move (harder than snow globe), and enemies can't see you from behind or inside the blizzard, resulting in an important loss of accuracy (aka they shoot randomly through the blizzard). 

Can stack up to 2/2/3/4 blizzards at the same time. 

Frozen Shield :   Toggle : base 50 energy cost for 10 sec - Creates a floating ice shield in front of the caster, protecting him from incoming projectiles (doesn't protect his back and barely protects his sides). The shield fully but only covers the sides when the caster is attacking.

When untoggled, the shield is launched forward and knocks back all enemies it hurts on a 20m distance (not affected by power range).

Launch damage : 500/600/700/800 impact damage. 

Launch cost : 25 energy

Shield resistance : same as snow globe.

Note : The shield is oriented following the player's pointer, so if the warframe is moving in the direction of the camera but aiming behind him, the shield will protect his back unless he attacks.

Absolute Zero : 100 energy cost - Freezes any enemy in a 14/15/16/18m radius for a 3/4/5/6 sec duration, dealing 200/300/400/500 cold damage.

Faraday, male magnetic warframe

Synergy :
If a Mag and a Faraday get together in a same squad, they benefit from an increased shield regen.

ABILITIES

Grab : 20 energy cost - Uses magnetic forces to grab a single target for 2/3/4/5 sec. During the ability, the caster is able to move the target upwards, downwards, on the left or right. Reactivating the ability before the end of the duration costs 5 more energy points, and pushes the target backwards with strenght, making a deadly projectile of it, pushing back the enemies on its way. The target can only be stopped by a wall or after hitting 10 enemies.

Initial grab : 200/225/250/300 magnetic damage.
Projection damage : 200 additional magnetic damage to the initial target, 200/225/250/300 impact damage to enemies it hurts, + 50 additional impact damage to the main target each time it hurts another one.

Pulse : 50 energy cost - Unleashes an instant magnetic wave, pushing back and knocking back any enemy in a 7/8/10/12m radius and dealing them 350/375/400/450 magnetic damage.
When used, Pulse protects the caster by reversing all polarities in the surroundings, granting him a 0.5 sec invulnerability and the ability to send back bullets and rockets if they are in range in the 0.5 sec casting animation.

Body Magnet : 75 energy cost - Instantly polarizes a target, attracting any nearby other enemy at them for a collision.
Instantly attracts all enemies in a 8/10/12/14m radius around the initial target.
The initial target takes 200/225/250/300 magnetic damage, and then 200/225/250/300 impact for each collision with another enemy.
Attracted enemies take 200/225/250/300 impact damage when they hurt the initial target.

All of them are knocked down after the collision.

This ability can be used on item boxes, and explosive barrels as well, resulting in additional explosive damage in this last case.

RailGun : 100 energy cost + 1 bullet of the current ranged weapon. Can't be used without a ranged "bullet" weapon in hand. This includes bolt weapons. Only continuous fire weapons can't work with it.

Shoots a bullet in a straight line in front of the caster, quickly traveling a 100m distance (not affected by range mods) with a 10m magnetic AoE around it.
Pushes back any affected enemy. The thin "bullet" part of the RailGun shot can perform head shots, resulting in x2 damage.

Damage : Current weapon's critical damage x1.5/1.7/2/2.5 (affected by power strenght) + 300/500/700/1000 magnetic damage (also affected by power strenght).

If no projectile based ranged weapon is in hand, the ability will be a downgraded version.

Shoots a lightning bolt of pure energy on a 100m distance and with a 8m AoE around it.
Damage (thin line "bullet part") : 1200/1400/1500/1700 impact damage
Damage (AoE "shock wave") : 500/600/800/1000 magnetic damage.

All affected enemies are still pushed back and knocked down.

Blaze, male fire warframe

Synergy with Ember : 

When an Ember and a Blaze get together in a same squad, they benefit from increased fire status chance on their fire weapons and powers. 

POWERS

Fire Trail25 energy cost - The caster leaves a fire trail on the ground behind him for 5 seconds (you'd better run while using it, or it would be useless). After the 5 sec duration, the flames last for 5 more seconds (affected by power duration mods). Any enemy in contact with the fire trail suffers from moderate heat damage and 100% fire status proc chance. 

Eruption35 energy cost - A single blast of the "World On Fire" ability, occuring where the caster aims. Same damage and status chance than WoF's explosions. 

Fire wave75 energy cost - Fire Eximus's AoE attack, oriented in front of the caster. 100% knock back chance on a 20m distance (affected by power range), 25% fire status chance. Moderate damage. 

Area of Effect : 40° cone in front of the caster.

OverheatToggle ; Base : 100 energy for 6 seconds - Improved version of the old Ember's "Overheat". The heat around the caster weakens any projectile or melee enemy, resulting in a 50%/55%/60%/70% damage reduction (not affected by power strenght).

Enemies in a 14m radius (affected by power range) are slowed down by 1/3 and take sustained fire damage (200 heat dmg every 0.5 sec, affected by power strenght). Enemies in a 8m radius have 50% fire proc chance every second and take increased damage over time (400 heat damage every 0.5 sec). Enemies who enter in contact with the caster take 100% fire status chance and an instantaneous 500 blast damage with 50% status chance. 

Melee attacks gain a 15%/20%/25%/30% heat damage boost when the ability is toggled. 

Looking for artworks (I could do one myself but I feel lazy) and lore ideas for the fun.

Cheers !

Edited by DeadScream

DE has stated that in the past they considered gender alternatives but that was thrown out a long time ago.

Well, it's still something we can make our minds work on. 

Still I'm very disappointed about this decision. 

EDIT: Also, is your prime alternative not enough?

Never enough :3

Edit : Abilities could still be used as Mag alternates, even if we let down the gender alternative idea ^^

Edited by DeadScream

Well, it's still something we can make our minds work on. 

Still I'm very disappointed about this decision. 

Never enough :3

Edit : Abilities could still be used as Mag alternates, even if we let down the gender alternative idea ^^

Well I'm am happy that they dismissed this decision because I want deep thought put into content before it's added. This is also another reason I am anti prime. Primes just seems like a reskin and a polarity.

Edited by Drunken_Child

Well I'm am happy that they dismissed this decision because I want deep thought put into content before it's added. This is also another reason I am anti prime. Primes just seems like a reskin and a polarity.

I agree for your vision on primes, but Excalibur Prime has a better shield regen, and Rhino Prime is faster. I'm pretty sure they'll add improvements to existing primes, and next ones. 

I personally don't mind playing a female character (they are my favorite), but I suggest a male alternative so that we would gain some diversity, and people who feel like breaking their honor if they play as a different gender would have an opportunity to play with Mag's awesome powers without "being a lady" ^-^

DE has stated that in the past they considered gender alternatives but that was thrown out a long time ago.

Actually, they went back on that - sort of. Gender alternatives are being considered, but they would have to use very different skills with only the theme in common. 

I actually like the idea of this. Some of these abilities seem misplaced, but I do like the idea.

I really like the Synergy concept; having warframes that have the same theme but are different warframes that, when in a squad together, give off a slight additional aura.

If I could find the bloody quote. 

Seemed like DE wasn't 100% sure themselves. Considering is not doing.

Haha, just like they stated long ago that "PVP will not be developed" and we are finally getting this MOBA-like thing... 

Let's hope they'll do it. I'm pretty sure a return of Blaze would make a lot of people very, very happy.

I actually like the idea of this. Some of these abilities seem misplaced, but I do like the idea.

I really like the Synergy concept; having warframes that have the same theme but are different warframes that, when in a squad together, give off a slight additional aura.

Thanks for your support. 

Which abilities seem misplaced, and what do you mean by "misplaced" ? :) 

Pulse feels like it should be upped in effect and be the 'Final' Ability or the Third ability, and if it replaces the third ability, Body Magnet would be the second ability.

Ultimately though, Railgun isn't very fitting as a power but more as a weapon, be it Sentinel Weapon or Gun. However, this is mostly just my opinion, I do like your idea either way.

I like the feel of this. IMHO it'll fit with their "Make Blaze, not Boy-Ember" words.

IMHO, the corpse-targeting for Grab and Body Magnet's got to go as they don't serve much sense to me. They're already dead- no need to waste energy on them, it's much better to throw and temporarily incapacitate a living target. Two less targets shooting at me. Would also prevent accidentally targeting enemies in death animation instead of the genuine threat behind it.

EDIT: And Railgun.... I don't like its weapon dependency. With the addition of the ability to unequip any of the weapon slots, making it tied to the Primary weapon, and then also limiting it to only projectiles sounds like a bad idea. Needs to be standalone, or widely compatible. 

Edited by Shion963

Pulse feels like it should be upped in effect and be the 'Final' Ability or the Third ability, and if it replaces the third ability, Body Magnet would be the second ability.

Ultimately though, Railgun isn't very fitting as a power but more as a weapon, be it Sentinel Weapon or Gun. However, this is mostly just my opinion, I do like your idea either way.

I always considered a railgun shot should be Mag's ultimate, so I will say we are both right ^^ 

I'll see if more people think those abilities should be switched, and I'll switch them :) 

I like the feel of this. IMHO it'll fit with their "Make Blaze, not Boy-Ember" words.

IMHO, the corpse-targeting for Grab and Body Magnet's got to go as they don't serve much sense to me. They're already dead- no need to waste energy on them, it's much better to throw and temporarily incapacitate a living target. Two less targets shooting at me. Would also prevent accidentally targeting enemies in death animation instead of the genuine threat behind it.

EDIT: And Railgun.... I don't like its weapon dependency. With the addition of the ability to unequip any of the weapon slots, making it tied to the Primary weapon, and then also limiting it to only projectiles sounds like a bad idea. Needs to be standalone, or widely compatible. 

You are totally right for the corpse targetting. In my mind it was about being able to make people collapse on a dead body in the case we have no living target at disposal, but obviously those abilities would only be worth using if living targets are in the way lol. 

Gonna fix this ! 

For the Railgun, I just find it logical to need a bullet to activate such an ability, but I guess it would make it awkward in the current game mechanics. 

I must find a way to replace it without breaking the original feel of it, imo the weapon dependance was a good thing because it makes the skill able to scale with your actual level, and potentially become a very high damage one (just like a Railgun should be). 

Working on it, thanks for the advices !

For Pulse do they get knocked down or move backwards then get knocked down, because if they get knocked down without moving backwards it is pretty much pushing down then magnetizing so not magnet power.

It's pushing back and then knocked down ^^ 

I'll add it to the main post, thx

10/10 would build, I find these abilities do better CC than mag. 

I think Mag is okay, but I tried to make them at least as cool as her powers :p

Thanks then ! 

Crystal, female ice warframe

More focused on attack and crowd control, rather than defense. 

Synergy : 

If a Crystal and a Frost get together in a same squad, they benefit from a 7m radius freezing aura, halving the movement and attack speed in any enemy in range.

POWERS

Frozen Sword : 25 energy cost - Changes the 1/2/3/5 next melee attacks into ice strikes with 100% status chance and 60%/70%/80%/100% cold damage boost. 

Blizzard :  50 energy cost - Leaves a persistent cold wave in front of the caster on a 6/7/9/12m radius area (affected by power range) for 4/5/7/10 sec (affected by power duration). Deals no damage, but enemies inside it can barely move (harder than snow globe), and enemies can't see you from behind or inside the blizzard, resulting in an important loss of accuracy (aka they shoot randomly through the blizzard). 

Can stack up to 2/2/3/4 blizzards at the same time. 

Frozen Shield :   Toggle : base 50 energy cost for 10 sec - Creates a floating ice shield in front of the caster, protecting him from incoming projectiles (doesn't protect his back and barely protects his sides). The shield fully but only covers the sides when the caster is attacking.

When untoggled, the shield is launched forward and knocks back all enemies it hurts on a 20m distance (not affected by power range).

Launch damage : 500/600/700/800 impact damage. 

Launch cost : 25 energy

Shield resistance : same as snow globe.

Note : The shield is oriented following the player's pointer, so if the warframe is moving in the direction of the camera but aiming behind him, the shield will protect his back unless he attacks.

Absolute Zero : 100 energy cost - Freezes any enemy in a 14/15/16/18m radius for a 3/4/5/6 sec duration, dealing 200/300/400/500 cold damage.

Ampera, female electricity warframe

Synergy with Volt 

Whenever Ampera or Volt uses an ability within a 30m radius from her/his equivalent, the other electricity frame recovers half the energy consumed by the caster. 

POWERS

Lightning Bolt : 25 energy cost - Similar to Ember's Fire Ball but with electric damage instead of fire. 

Electric Cage : 50 energy cost - Summons a 10m radius electric field where the caster is aiming, dealing electric DoT to enemies inside it and stunning them if they go out of it or enter it. Not affected by power range.

Duration : 4/5/6/8 sec. 

Stack : 1/2/3/4 cages according to mod level. 

Damage (DoT) : 100 electricity damage per second (affected by power strenght) ; 20% status chance

Damage (edge) : 300 electricity damage, 100% status chance (affected by power strenght)

Concussion : 75 energy cost - Uses the surrounding environment to inflict a quick electric shock to any nearby enemy. 

Base range : 12m radius (affected by power range mods, and twiced by water and metallic surfaces)

Base damage : 400 electric damage (affected by power strenght mods, and twiced by water and metallic surfaces)

100% electricity status chance

/!\ actually, that's how I would like Volt's abilities to work. 

Discharge : 100 energy cost - Concentrates the electricity in a wide energy beam, quickly traveling a 70m distance and channeling through enemies with 100% status chance. 

Damage (direct contact with the beam) : 1500 electricity damage (affected by power strenght) 

Damage (channeled) : 1000 electricity damage, -100 per enemy. 

Nessie, female water warframe

Synergy with Hydroid

When a Nessie and a Hydroid get together in a same team, they benefit from an increased health. 

ABILITIES 

Boil : 25 energy cost - boils the water inside an organic enemy, stunning him and dealing him heavy damage. Doesn't work on machines. 

Duration (stun + DoT) : 3/4/5/6 sec (affected by power duration mods)

Damage : 50/75/100/150 finisher damage per second (affected by strenght, not affected by armor nor shields.) 

Increasing the duration allows to also increase the total damage. 

Only 1/1/2/2 enemies can suffer from this ability at a time. 

Haze : 50 energy cost - Summons heavy haze around all enemies in a 12/15/17/20m radius, greatly reducing their accuracy and slowing them down for a 5/6/8/12 sec duration. 

Basically each enemy is surrounded by a cloud. It's not a big cloud on a 20m radius, but small clouds around every enemy who stands in the 20m radius when the ability is activated. 

Liquefy : 75 energy cost, can be uncasted before the end of the duration - Changes the caster into a human-like water form, unable to use his weapons but also unable to take any form of damage except electricity. You can move when the ability is active, and standing on enemies deal them 200 suffocation damage per second. 

Duration : 5/6/7/10 sec.

Tempest : 100 energy cost - Creates a heavy cloud 3m from the ground, covering a 12/14/17/20m area. The relentless rain from the cloud deals slows down every enemy, with 40% stun chance per second. Each shot addressed to the cloud instantly channels the shot's damage to all enemies in the area, transforming the tempest into a rain of bullets. 

They said they wouldn't do genderswap skins but that new frames with similar abilities ie: Blaze as a male fire frame are fair game.

Sylph, male wind warframe  

Synergy with Zephyr

When a Zephyr and a Sylph get together in a same squad, they gain 0.1 sprint speed and a slight damage buff on abilities. 

ABILITIES

Push : 25 energy cost - Increases the caster's movement speed by 20%/25%/30%/35% for a 5/7/10/12 sec duration. Also buffs teammate's speed, but unlike Volt's speed, doesn't improve the attack speed by any mean. 

Guardian Wings : 50 energy cost - Protects the user by slowing down nearby enemies and repulse melee attackers (instant knock-back if an enemy melees you).

Duration : 10/12/14/18 sec.

Can be used on team mates if targeted. If no target, the GW applies to the caster by default.

Allies and caster can benefit from this ability at the same time.

Wind Blades : 75 energy cost - Creates a long wind corridor in front of the caster, slowing down enemies and dealing them high slash damage.

Lenght : 25/27/30/35m (affected by power range)

Width : 6/7/9/12m (also affected by power range)

Damage : 300 slash damage per second to any enemy inside the corridor (affected by power strenght mods). 50% status chance per second.   

Tempest : 100 energy cost - A strong wind confuses all enemies in a big area, reducing their movement speed and their accuracy, and also dealing them moderate slash damage. 

Area (follows the caster) : 15/17/20/22m radius. 

Duration : 8/10/14/18 sec. 

Effects (15-22m) : 100 slash damage / second with 20% status chance. 20% speed debuff. 20% accuracy debuff. 

Effects (7-15m) : 200 slash damage / second with 50% status chance. 50% speed debuff, 50% accuracy debuff. 

Effects (0-7m) : 100% push-back chance with instantaneous 300 slash damage with 50% status chance.

Edited by DeadScream