Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Concept: Umbra (Ash's Alternate Gender)

EliteRider

As you may have figured out by reading the title, i'm one of the many who would want a female Ash or an alternate with different abilities and name cuz what i've seen in a concept art that Minky made, was just pure coolness and would fit Ash's role way better.

This is pretty much like what happened with Excalibur and Nyx, they're like twins! Except Nyx's helmet is altered and she has different powers , so Ash and Umbra shouldn't be a problem right? Right?!

First let's see her appearance, also note that the big female Ash picture is an official concept art by DE.

Ignore the color set in this picture, i changed it a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/lr10DMZ.jpg

Changed color set here.

http://i.imgur.com/1NGGMPN.jpg

Altered helmet: Umbra could have ninja themed helmets to match with her magical ninja attributes.

This is what i thought she would look like, though i only have the Smoke, Classic saturated, Infested and Valentine color palettes but i did my best to have a good looking default color set. I used Ash's Locust helmet's tail as a reference to Umbra's head tail

Now, the descriptions.

Name: Umbra

Descriptions: Elegant, Fast and Agile like a ninja, Umbra is a warframe that uses magical ninja arts to have effective stealth abilities and destroy her enemies.

Powers.

Poison Dart: Cost 25 points of energy, Umbra throws a small poisonous dart at high speed that just like Ash's Shuriken, lock on an enemy, dealing 75/120/155/200 combination of puncture and poison damage with a 100% chance of causing a poison proc, Umbra can throw two darts when the power reach level 4 and is affected by power stength mods

Vanish: Cost 50 points of energy. Umbra's cloaking power, last a bit longer then Loki's invisibility (about maybe 5/9/11/15 seconds) at the cost of reduced crit bonuses while invisible and a gun shot will disrupte the power, making her visible agian. Pressing the power's button agian while invisible will make Umbra visible agian (every cloaking powers should have that!)

Lurking Shadow: Cost 75 points of energy, Umbra targets an enemy and turn into a long, almost snake like shadow entity and quickly lurk toward her target unseen and pop up back in her normal form from behind, grab it and use her sharp finger nails to slit her target's throat open if a Crewman or Grineer clone is targeted, If a Moa is targeted, Umbra will rip off its critical point which is... its face... but flying enemies and bosses can't be targeted, This power is a guaranteed silent kill and Like Ash's Blade Storm, Umbra is invincible while using the power and also has cool viewing animations. Lurking Shadow can only target one enemy at a time per use of the power at the range of 20/30/45/55 meters and is increased by power range mods.

Death Breeze: Cost 100 points of energy, This power is very similar to the wind spell in Ninja Gaiden 2.

http://youtu.be/JVBX321Tl7Y?t=1m4s

Umbra gather the air aound her and release a massive storm of sharp air waves around her, dealing high slash damage (800/1200/1600/2000), it cut enemies in pieces when killed and causes a deadly slash proc to those that survive, Death Breeze has the same radius range as Frost's Avalanche and is affected by Power Strength and range mods.

Stats: Due to the fact that Umbra have very good powers, move fast and is nearly tireless with stamina mods like Valkyr and Hydroid, she's gonna be a squishy warframe

Shield: 100

Health: 75

Armor: 15

Power: 100

Stamina: 150

Sprint speed: 1.2 (same speed as Nova and Mirage, but not as fast as Loki)

Polarities: V x1, - x1

Aura Polarity: V

Let me know what you guys think of her. ^_^

Edited by EliteRider

I really don't want to play a female character with a beard - even if it's just part of her suit.

That's not a beard, it's actually on Ash's standard helmet if you look carefully, it kind of look like jaws or something.

Edited by EliteRider

Also note that Umbra's helmet is suposed to be altered, though it still has that awesome tail thing on the back of her head.

Edit: I also added another detail with Lurking Shadow which i forgot to mention.

Edited by EliteRider

First off interesting idea but a few things I noticed are, 1) you lower shield and armor , and 2) like Hunter said de seems to be avoiding same element frames. That being said I'd either raise the armor (even loki has 60) or swap health and shields, just an idea. For the typing you mentioned and give her attributes of a snake so why not make her a corrosive frame and really focus on the snake like aspects and just take her design and modify it to still be like ash but more snake like rather than bug like. Oh and I do agree the name is a bit to generic but that can always develop with the character. Just an idea but once again good concept and keep working on it because who knows maybe we'll see her in game someday.

(If there are any errors I'm sorry since I have to use my phone due to having no internet)

Shadow sounds kind of cheezy...

Try another name maybe?

Ex: Ruin, Umbra... though it is pretty limited....

Then again, Mag's name is also kind of not-so original. 

Huh, i actually like Umbra, kinda sound better and more femalish. i wish i could change the title...

well i don't think DE will accept another one dat is same element as one already in da game. if they did, there could be way more frames now.

...Who else uses dark energy?

First off interesting idea but a few things I noticed are, 1) you lower shield and armor , and 2) like Hunter said de seems to be avoiding same element frames. That being said I'd either raise the armor (even loki has 60) or swap health and shields, just an idea. For the typing you mentioned and give her attributes of a snake so why not make her a corrosive frame and really focus on the snake like aspects and just take her design and modify it to still be like ash but more snake like rather than bug like. Oh and I do agree the name is a bit to generic but that can always develop with the character. Just an idea but once again good concept and keep working on it because who knows maybe we'll see her in game someday.

(If there are any errors I'm sorry since I have to use my phone due to having no internet)

you actually have a point, i'll swap health and shields though i want her to be balanced since she has very good powers. Also about Lurking Shadow, Umbra doesn't turn into one, she turns into a shadow entity that is shaped, thin and small like one but it doesn't have any snake specifics. though maybe i should change the name of the power, i don't know what else to call it though, i wanted to call it Lurking Shadow at first but i changed to snake since her name was Shadow, but now that Jjpdn won me over with Umbra as her name, i think that would work, what do you think?

Edited by EliteRider

I think umbra could work (had to do some research on that one), and don't worry about balance because between low health and armor if her shields dropped she's in a world of hurt.

Oh, and I believe what hunter meant is that with ash (and loki) there are already 2 "dark/shadow" frames even though there considered stealth.(might be wrong if I am comment and I'll modify/change it).

(Snake/corrosive explanation)

This was my reason for advising the shift to corrosive and by keeping the snake elements you could explain the use of corrosion. (Ash is bug like without bug abilities so you could make her snakelike without snake abilities just adding corrosive makes her stand out as the new corrosive frame.) You can leave the dark energy side to her to it just changes to where now it has corrosive effects. For looks you keep the basic ash look like you were doing and just modify the helmet, colors and body shape. (these are the differences between nyx and Excalibur, so it shows there connected while making them separate entities.) this was the one other place I was saying take her more snake like in her face since ash's main figure on all his helmets are the different bug names and bug like protrusions (mandibles) all over them so why not do the same for her and use them to even enhance the "tail".

If your at all interested in the idea I'd advise looking at the black mamba for inspiration since it works with your design in that not only is it one of the most toxic snakes(power), it is also in the top 2 fastest snakes (might be fastest), and sticking with the shadow theme one nickname for it is shadow of death.

That's the last plugin I'll do for the snake stuff unless you have questions or want more feedback and sorry for the wordy message, it's early where I live and I was up late plus I'm still on my phone).

Endnote is I like the name and have explained some of my ideas plus if the frame ever came out I would play her ( I'm a big melee and bow fan) and all these this is purely my opinion and can be ignored if decided.

Edited by Drake_Gunn

Sticking with the Shadow Theme one nickname for it is shadow of death.

so if i understand correctly here, if Umbra will stick to the theme she's going for, i should rename Lurking Shadow to Shadow Of Death? If that's so i'll do it, that seem more like a fitting name for that power, though i might've not described it well enough, i'll put more details on it. As for everything else you said about her being a corrosive/snake themed warframe, it sounds interesting, though i still would like her to be the game's first actual female stealth warframe, which has never been the case with Banshee in my opinion.

Edited by EliteRider

I was talking about it being a nickname for the black mamba but could work as a ability as well and the rest of that part was trying to show how the snake could fit the stealth frame. And I tried to keep to the stealth bit reason I didn't talk about the abilities since they all sounded pretty neat, the corrosive part is just takes making that the main damage type for her abilities (could potentially add it to the first ability without it being to op if it's done right). So basically the idea is make her a stealth frame who does corrosive damage making her stand out a bit more from loki and ash while still being in the same category.

Sorry for the confusion but hope this helps clarify, and like I keep saying great concept and hopefully we'll see her in game someday since she's starting to grow on me.

Edited by Drake_Gunn

So you mean changing Night Slash and Wind Of Darkness's slash damage to corrosive damage. if so that'd be awesome! I actually like that and how about they do both slash and corrosive damage so they can still cut enemies in pieces?

Alright, i added the snake/corrosive atributes to Umbra and her powers, i changed Night Slash to Bio Slash, though i can't think of anything for Wind Of Darkness but i'm trying to come up with something, i also updated her story.

Edited by EliteRider

well i don't think DE will accept another one dat is same element as one already in da game. if they did, there could be way more frames now.

...Who else uses dark energy?

by dat i mean stealth and alot of people are already coming up with darkness

so u hav 2 choose

1. stealth

2. darkness

3. corrosion

u can't hav 3 elements

Stealth is not an element, it's a gameplay type and just like tanks (rhino, frost, valkyr) you can have multiples. And her dark element is the explanation for the stealth+power increase and the corrosive just makes her unique from the other stealth frames and works with the snake type description. At least that's how I see it, can't speak for op. In the end it's still a pretty good design no matter what.

I decided to take Drake's corrosive idea cuz i thought it was very cool and it's something that no other warframes have (hopefully the new one in the event mods won't), i don't even think i would've thought about it myself if he didn't come around with it, and it actually fits! What am i gonna call Wind Of Darkness now...

Edited by EliteRider

ok so i came up with something pretty simple for changing Wind Of Darkness' name. It's Acid Wind :/

Edit: I also took advantage of the Physical helmet bug with have right now with Locust helmet to kind of show where Umbra's head tail would come out from and i changed Umbra's color set a little, check the concept to see it.

Edited by EliteRider

Glad you like the idea, it's good to know I can still have a good idea :). Oh and for the ability name you could try using shadow of death as the name for it. It might take rewording the description a bit but you could keep the baseline of the ability that you have right now. We talked about it in earlier posts and I was just reminded about it while looking through, plus it sounds like an ultimate. Just yet another idea.

Oh and I like the sleek black the only thing is if the made her they might have to add white accent lines to give her more definition which wouldn't be to hard to do.

Edited by Drake_Gunn