Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Linux Client

Spafbi

With the SteamOS beta available, and a general release just around the proverbial corner, I am hoping DE will consider a native Linux client. I sure do hate having to fire up Windows just to play my favorite game.

-Spafbi

It would require re-writing the whole game from scratch. Linux bases on completely different API than DirectX.

Maybe one day, in future, after U457 when all of the bugs will be fixed and all of the gear will be balanced. Tyhere are different priorities now, than porting the game to another platform.

And you can edit your posts. There's no need for multiposting, this is not chat.

Edited by Angius

It would require re-writing the whole game from scratch. Linux bases on completely different API than DirectX.

Maybe one day, in future, after U457 when all of the bugs will be fixed and all of the gear will be balanced. Tyhere are different priorities now, than porting the game to another platform.

And you can edit your posts. There's no need for multiposting, this is not chat.

um... not true.

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/valve-has-posted-their-direct3d-to-opengl-translation-layer-onto-github.3248/

and that's just open-source. i can guarantee there are much more complex non-open-source tools available out there.

the problem is the lack of users that want to game in linux. most linux users (like me) have a windows pc or a multi-boot setup for gaming.

there is little need to actually make a linux native client in the minds of most game developers.

hopefully windows 8.1 and on will continue to $hit the bed and make linux more and more attractive.

edit:

also, from-scratch? not even close.

Edited by xethier

warframe already running OpenGL because ps4 is running OpenGL and not DirectX so why is so huge problem?

• 3 weeks later...