Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Fanart - Aegis [Warframe Concept] - Sculpture

FatherXmas

I've been watching my husband (whose account I'm posting with) play this game recently and thought it would be fun to make him something Warframe themed. So I designed him his very own frame!

Her name is Aegis, and she's a warframe who was lost in an overgrown corner of Earth and was herself overgrown in the years it took for her to be found again. We've talked a bit about what her powers would be, and she's leaning in a shapeshifting direction. Still working out the details, but I've been led to understand that she might be able to use Orokin technology to transform herself and/or other things to a certain extent.

The sculpture is just about 8 inches tall and made out of Super Sculpey. I painted her with acrylic paint and guilder's paste. My favorite detail, that I hope you notice, is that she's subtly throwing the "live long and prosper" sign with her left hand. The other hand is posed to hold something like a staff or weapon that I have yet to build. But soon!

Details shots are tucked away in the spoilers. I've never made something like this before. She was so much fun!

TurnAround_zps85d7eff4.png

Aegis wants you to live long and prosper.prosper_zpse6073b05.png

DSC08165_zps9257e115.jpg

DSC08161_zps55d121fb.jpg

DSC08159_zps3d1e07b5.jpg

DSC08151_zps6c1d263d.jpg

DSC08149_zps629029e4.jpg

DSC08177_zpsae0b87fe.jpg

Thomas and I are going to sit down today and type up her backstory and powers and things.

And yeah, Noamuth, she has a tail. No reason for it really. I think I just wanted her to look like something that you might come across in a jungle. Something almost wild. She had started out more animal-like before I settled on the overgrown look. I hope that detail doesn't detract from the rest of her design.

i think the name Gaea(goddess of earth) would fit it better than aegis(shield). it looks really cool though.

My husband picked the name. I considered going for something very similar to Gaia (Erde was another option), but Thomas thought "shield" would be a good name to show that she was a non-plant-based warframe before she was forgotten on Earth to be overgrown. And I like the kind of strength a name like Aegis has.

I'm making another custom warframe sculpture, but I'm not settled on a design yet.

Any thoughts on what I should do for her design/theme? Thomas suggested doing something a bit darker.

A female water theme maybe?

And I love tails, I just think they're awesome.

After being very excited to see Aegis featured in the fanart section of the last Prime Time, I've been working on a new custom warframe sculpture. Her name is Dexia, and she's inspired by the Glaucus atlanticus.

She's going to be a prime warframe, so she'll be painted somewhat like the Glaucus atlanticus with the addition of gold throughout. And because she's water themed and I wanted her to look a bit like she was floating, I have her raised about 3/4 of an inch off of her base on copper rods. You can barely tell in the picture.

I have her almost finished. She just needs one more boot and any additional details I can think of, then I can start painting her! Also, I found the perfect chunk of wood to make a base for Aegis so she'll hopefully be more stable in the earthquakes we get here.

AegisandDexia_zpsb45f7583.png

Very cool! I love the style and proportions of this!

Is it hard or soft to work with?

Thanks! I use Super Sculpey, so it's soft to work with. It's a polymer clay, so I just pop it into a toaster oven for a bit to harden up. I add some details, then bake it, then add some more details, then bake it, etc... That way I don't squish something while working on the next area. I highly recommend using Super Sculpey if you're interested in this sort of crafting.

If you ever start offering classes, I'd like to put my name down.

...just sayin'...

A friend actually requested that I make some videos on how to sculpt this sort of thing, so I'll let you know when they're up!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bad cell phone picture of Dexia now that she's ready to be painted. I wanted to do more work on her sculpturally, but she got so fragile and unwieldy that she started to break in the oven every time I put her in to bake a new addition. She has a cape now! I can't wait to paint her. :D

10458724_10204327901939876_8002304025051