Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: 1347 [Ic]

S.T.M.P.D

Western France, 1347

The rain beats down on the earth. It has long since passed tormenting in drops; now, it pours down in sheets of cold water, washing away soil in ugly brown streams. Only the road, constructed by the Romans in forgotten centuries, remains intact. Its cobbles face the ocean pouring from the deep gray skies, and they withstand.

Out of the downpour come eight riders in single file. They are clad in armor, but it is not like any armor the layman has seen before. It seems to be made of metal, at least some parts of it do. And it covers the eyes and the mouth, so that each rider has no face, save whatever the human mind might interpret in their intricate shapes and corners.

The one in front holds up a hand. The horses and their riders stop at a small ruin by the side of the road.

“Wait here,” says the one in front. His armor covers his body in a nearly skintight suit, though it is still made up of metal plates one could recognize. A small horn juts from his faceplate. No one, not even him, knows why it is there.

He slings himself over his horse, steps onto the warped cobbles, and makes his way toward the ruin. It looks like a thousand other wrecks – some Gallic burial mound, the names of those within forgotten till the end of days. But there is a hole in the mound, a spiral stone staircase leading deep into the moist earth, and this is where the first rider goes.

At the bottom of the staircase, at least twenty meters underground, is a room covered in intricate designs and bathed in purplish-blue light. The rider – his name is Excalibur – walks to a raised platform at the center of the room. On the platform is a scroll made of transparent material and covered with glowing characters that resemble the branches of a tree.

This is how the Lotus speaks to her children. She leaves these scrolls where they pass, places only they know where to look. She instructs them; they obey, for they remember nothing before they were touched by her hand.

The scroll says, in the forgotten language of Low Orokin: There is a great city named Shambala, nestled in the peaks of India. It was where my ancestors communed with the heavens, and where they kept the freshest fruit of their science. For so many years, it has been secure.

No longer is that so. The Grineer hordes, led by that detestable monster Urghil Vor, have begun an offensive against the Indian kings. They will pass through the mountains and sweep the country clean of life. If they find Shambala in this time, that will be all the better for Vor and all the worse for the civilized world.

Find Shambala, and defend it from the Grineer.

The insignia of the Lotus is watermarked at the bottom. A map of some sort is on the back.

Excalibur walks up the stone staircase yet again. His fellow Tenno have not moved from their mounts. He takes out the scroll, and shows it to them.

“Well,” he says, “Shambala. I have no idea where that is at all. Any ideas?”

Western France, 1347

The rain beats down on the earth. It has long since passed tormenting in drops; now, it pours down in sheets of cold water, washing away soil in ugly brown streams. Only the road, constructed by the Romans in forgotten centuries, remains intact. Its cobbles face the ocean pouring from the deep gray skies, and they withstand.

Out of the downpour come eight riders in single file. They are clad in armor, but it is not like any armor the layman has seen before. It seems to be made of metal, at least some parts of it do. And it covers the eyes and the mouth, so that each rider has no face, save whatever the human mind might interpret in their intricate shapes and corners.

The one in front holds up a hand. The horses and their riders stop at a small ruin by the side of the road.

“Wait here,” says the one in front. His armor covers his body in a nearly skintight suit, though it is still made up of metal plates one could recognize. A small horn juts from his faceplate. No one, not even him, knows why it is there.

He slings himself over his horse, steps onto the warped cobbles, and makes his way toward the ruin. It looks like a thousand other wrecks – some Gallic burial mound, the names of those within forgotten till the end of days. But there is a hole in the mound, a spiral stone staircase leading deep into the moist earth, and this is where the first rider goes.

At the bottom of the staircase, at least twenty meters underground, is a room covered in intricate designs and bathed in purplish-blue light. The rider – his name is Excalibur – walks to a raised platform at the center of the room. On the platform is a scroll made of transparent material and covered with glowing characters that resemble the branches of a tree.

This is how the Lotus speaks to her children. She leaves these scrolls where they pass, places only they know where to look. She instructs them; they obey, for they remember nothing before they were touched by her hand.

The scroll says, in the forgotten language of Low Orokin: There is a great city named Shambala, nestled in the peaks of India. It was where my ancestors communed with the heavens, and where they kept the freshest fruit of their science. For so many years, it has been secure.

No longer is that so. The Grineer hordes, led by that detestable monster Urghil Vor, have begun an offensive against the Indian kings. They will pass through the mountains and sweep the country clean of life. If they find Shambala in this time, that will be all the better for Vor and all the worse for the civilized world.

Find Shambala, and defend it from the Grineer.

The insignia of the Lotus is watermarked at the bottom. A map of some sort is on the back.

Excalibur walks up the stone staircase yet again. His fellow Tenno have not moved from their mounts. He takes out the scroll, and shows it to them.

“Well,” he says, “Shambala. I have no idea where that is at all. Any ideas?”

The Ninja.

The Silent Assassin.

The Illusive Shadow.

Ash was checking over his equipment and weapons, He wore a Brown and Sandy Gold robe with a chest plate with a hood with a unusual mask which had spikes like an insects mandibles. He checked over his Katana, his Tanto, His Shurikins, his smoke bombs and his hidden wrist blades for the next assignment from the Lotus. he looked over as Excalibur inquired about Shambala. he took a moment to think before shaking his head to Excalibur, a sign of *I don't know*

(Think of Yoshimitsu's Second Outfit from Soul Calibur IV but more....Ash..like?)

Edited by Drakeardian

The Ninja.

The Silent Assassin.

The Illusive Shadow.

Ash was checking over his equipment and weapons, his Katana, his Tanto, His Shurikins, his smoke bombs and his hidden wrist blades for the next assignment from the Lotus. he looked over as Excalibur inquired about Shambala. he took a moment to think before shaking his head to Excalibur, a sign of *I don't know*

"The land of India is south-east of here. The travel time, even by horse, is immense," stated the rider on a pale horse. Nekros.

"Nova could possibly shorten the distance, if we knew where the girl was," he said, gently shaking the spikes of his armour as he gestured. A scythe gently shone in the light of the street lamps as it hung from his back.

"Oy. As long as we get movin`! Flame`s a` dying, people!" the rider on the dark bay horse said. Ember.

"Aggh! What`s keepin` `em?" She looked around. There were still some riders missing.
She got off her horse, and started checking her saddle bags.

"Flame bombs - check; Burn powder - check; Catalyst - check."
She went to her horse`s muzzle, and cooed:"Shh, girl. We`ll be back on the road soon enough."
After that she got back on the horse and rectified her robe. Unlike her companions, the only armor she wore, were gauntlets, shoulderplates, greeves and a helmet with a shawl wrapped around her face, to hide her identity. The helmet was shaped like the head of a Phoenix.

Edited by Psychotoxin

"Oy. As long as we get movin`! Flame`s a` dying, people!" the rider on the dark bay horse said. Ember.

"Aggh! What`s keepin` `em?" She looked around. There were still some riders missing.

She went to her horse`s muzzle, and cooed:"Shh, girl. We`ll be back on the road soon enough."

After that she got back on the horse and rectified her robe. Unlike her companions, the only armor she wore, were gauntlets, shoulderplates, greeves and a helmet with a shawl wrapped around her face, to hide her identity. The helmet was shaped like the head of a Phoenix.

Ash looked over to Ember as he removed himself from his horse, comforting it and giving it a small handfull of horse rations,  He also gives Nekros and Ember's horse their preferred food

"The land of India is south-east of here. The travel time, even by horse, is immense," stated the rider on a pale horse. Nekros.

"Nova could possibly shorten the distance, if we knew where the girl was," he said, gently shaking the spikes of his armour as he gestured. A scythe gently shone in the light of the street lamps as it hung from his back.

"For generations the Tenno have been scattered, Nekros.  We shall always find our way back."

The Norseman sat atop his steed, his twin axes in hand.  He sharpened them on occasion, and what better time to do so then when told to stay behind.  The truly unique thing about his axes is that they were said to carry the bone-chilling cold of his homeland in their blades.  Anyone on the receiving end became a frozen corpse of what they were before.

"Our fiery friend here is right.  We have no time to waste, yet leaving now is a waste of time."  The Norseman's armor shifted around the elbows and expelled a small amount of ice-cold air.  This was how his armor cooled the air around him to allow his abilities to take form, and it left him at his preferred temperature.

He looked over to their valiant commander, the one of blades, and waved to catch his attention.  "What say you, Excalibur?"

"For generations the Tenno have been scattered, Nekros.  We shall always find our way back."

The Norseman sat atop his steed, his twin axes in hand.  He sharpened them on occasion, and what better time to do so then when told to stay behind.  The truly unique thing about his axes is that they were said to carry the bone-chilling cold of his homeland in their blades.  Anyone on the receiving end became a frozen corpse of what they were before.

"Our fiery friend here is right.  We have no time to waste, yet leaving now is a waste of time."  The Norseman's armor shifted around the elbows and expelled a small amount of ice-cold air.  This was how his armor cooled the air around him to allow his abilities to take form, and it left him at his preferred temperature.

He looked over to their valiant commander, the one of blades, and waved to catch his attention.  "What say you, Excalibur?"

"Well," he replied, "the journey will not be easy. It'll take us several weeks to get to Asia Minor in the first place. From there, we ride through the deserts of Persia and possibly die of dehydration, or we ride through the northern steppes, where the Grineer hordes make their camps. Once we have reached the subcontinent, we have nothing to do but poke around in the mountain ranges until we find this lost city."

He paused. "We need clues. We need coordinates, so we do not spend the rest of our lives amidst lifeless peaks."

The rain came down even harder.

"At the very least, we should get out of this storm. From there, we can figure out where we go next."

"Nekros, you are a scholic by nature. Do you know anything else about this 'Shambala' or where we can learn of its history?"

"Oy, book-boy! Answer this question inside a tavern, why don`t you? There should be one south of here, if i recall correctly from my travels. Recon it`s half a league away." Ember said.

She started moving but then remembered something. "Excuse me, esteemed leader, I should have asked for your permission. I do have trouble keeping myself in check." She said, turning to Excalibur.

"Well," he replied, "the journey will not be easy. It'll take us several weeks to get to Asia Minor in the first place. From there, we ride through the deserts of Persia and possibly die of dehydration, or we ride through the northern steppes, where the Grineer hordes make their camps. Once we have reached the subcontinent, we have nothing to do but poke around in the mountain ranges until we find this lost city."

He paused. "We need clues. We need coordinates, so we do not spend the rest of our lives amidst lifeless peaks."

"At the very least, we should get out of this storm. From there, we can figure out where we go next."

"Nekros, you are a scholic by nature. Do you know anything else about this 'Shambala' or where we can learn of its history?"

"Oy, book-boy! Answer this question inside a tavern, why don`t you? There should be one south of here, if i recall correctly from my travels. Recon it`s half a league away." Ember said.

She started moving but then remembered something. "Excuse me, esteemed leader, I should have asked for your permission. I do have trouble keeping myself in check." She said, turning to Excalibur.

Looking up to the skies as the storm got more violent by the second, Ash whistled to his fellow Tenno and proceeded for the nearest stables for his horse to dry off and get some rest. He wasn't one for idle chatter. Then again he couldn't chat whatsoever 

"There is no need," he said.

"After all, we are all equal under the gaze of the Lotus. You're right either way. I'm sure Nekros would like some sort of heat too," he said, laughing.

He mounted his horse, a fine stallion of the Liset breed. "Are we all ready?"

"Very little is known of the land. Other than its mystical nature and basic description, I am lacking in knowledge. However, an Orokin tower may have information on it. One is in the country, but it is somewhat far, located the mountainous regions of Provence. It is in the south-east, so it could be a visit on our way to this Shambala."

"We can drink later, my lady. We have business to attend to first."

Edited by MageMeat

Loki leaned against the neck of his horse, while becoming more aware of the rain as the idle chat went on. Unable to take more, he spoke. "My apologies for interrupting your festivities, but it would be wise to follow Ash" He said in a crass tone. "If we stay here, the rain may take us before the Grineer have opportunity"

Loki leaned against the neck of his horse, while becoming more aware of the rain as the idle chat went on. Unable to take more, he spoke. "My apologies for interrupting your festivities, but it would be wise to follow Ash" He said in a crass tone. "If we stay here, the rain may take us before the Grineer have opportunity"

Excalibur nodded. "Then we are settled," he remarked. "Let's waste no more time here."

ABOUT ONE WEEK LATER

The tower jutted out against Provence's landscape of flat fields and rocky cliffs. Age had taken its toll, sinking the tower some meters into the earth. Grime had coated the strange pearly material the Orokin built their towers out of. But it was still several meters taller than most things here, even the church steeples.

The Tenno rode in single file, approaching cautiously. The last thing they wanted was some Church Corpus knight-errant and his band of psychopaths to have already discovered the place and left a garrison behind.

Excalibur nodded. "Then we are settled," he remarked. "Let's waste no more time here."

ABOUT ONE WEEK LATER

The tower jutted out against Provence's landscape of flat fields and rocky cliffs. Age had taken its toll, sinking the tower some meters into the earth. Grime had coated the strange pearly material the Orokin built their towers out of. But it was still several meters taller than most things here, even the church steeples.

The Tenno rode in single file, approaching cautiously. The last thing they wanted was some Church Corpus knight-errant and his band of psychopaths to have already discovered the place and left a garrison behind.

Grass.

Wheat.

Flowers.

All of these things reminded Ash of his days in his homeland. The blossom trees, the Bamboo forests, The Sweat smell of tea...

He and his Horse followed behind Frost, Scanning the lands for the Corpus Knights that scour the lands with eagle eye perception. He found the Norseman was a good source of cold when it came to warm days or when they had to travel the hot deserts. Same with Ember when it came to travelling in the Frozen north

Edited by Drakeardian

"Don`t like this. Too open. We`re easy targets here. The Corpus Knights have some pretty darn accurate archers. Recon some of them have spotted us already." Ember said

She was riding ahead of Frost. Somehow the air around him was always a few ticks cooler that it should be, and she liked the cool breeze that conflicted with the heat rising from her. She had noticed that on cooler nights, her companions held a bit closer to her, and when a heat-wave came on, everyone was keeping closer to the Norseman.

"Don`t like this. Too open. We`re easy targets here. The Corpus Knights have some pretty darn accurate archers. Recon some of them have spotted us already." Ember said

She was riding ahead of Frost. Somehow the air around him was always a few ticks cooler that it should be, and she liked the cool breeze that conflicted with the heat rising from her. She had noticed that on cooler nights, her companions held a bit closer to her, and when a heat-wave came on, everyone was keeping closer to the Norseman.

Ash looked to Ember and he nods in agreement to her. Still keeping his eyes out for Corpus Knight Patrols.

Edited by Drakeardian

The usually quiet Trinity had found it necessary to speak up and voice her opinion. "Ember is right. It is wiser to avoid potential conflict and danger whenever we can."

Trinity was humbly dressed in a travelling cloak draped over her armour and a scarf around her neck. A healer by profession and a pacifist by nature, she preferred to avoid spilling blood, and defend herself and others with the blunt impact of the Bo staff across her back. It would be a mistake to underestimate her combat prowess based on that, however. She was a formidable force on the battlefield, and would not hesitate to fight to protect whatever stood behind her.

The usually quiet Trinity had found it necessary to speak up and voice her opinion. "Ember is right. It is wiser to avoid potential conflict and danger whenever we can."

Trinity was humbly dressed in a travelling cloak draped over her armour and a scarf around her neck. A healer by profession and a pacifist by nature, she preferred to avoid spilling blood, and defend herself and others with the blunt impact of the Bo staff across her back. It would be a mistake to underestimate her combat prowess based on that, however. She was a formidable force on the battlefield, and would not hesitate to fight to protect whatever stood behind her.

Trinity was right.  Though she was biased towards avoiding conflict, that's exactly why she fit in to the group so well.

"She has a point.  These cliffs could be riddled with any enemy faction and we would have no idea before they had the drop on us...and last I checked, it was our task to always have the drop on them."

Frost looked in front and behind him to see his friends, clearly keeping out of the arid climate by staying somewhere close to him.  It was true that he dragged the cold of his forgotten tribe with him, though even he was surprised that in the current setting, it was still noticeable.

"I must appeal to the idea of gathering our bearings before moving straight into the unknown."

Loki was riding at the end. He saw it fit to keep watch of the rear, anticipating a possible ambush.

"I must appeal to the idea of gathering our bearings before moving straight into the unknown."

Well that's a novel idea....

"I volunteer to scout ahead. Any objections my friends?"

"Excalibur! Your permission sir?"

"Keep in mind," he said, "that the terrain around us is as flat as can be. They'll see you coming very easily, Loki."

"Tell you what. You scout the area around the tower, see if there's anyone. I'll try to find a way in that is not buried under several meters of soil."

Loki shrugged, smirking under his helmet. He was thinking about making a snide remark for Excalibur forgetting his stealth abilities, but chose to hold his tongue. Though it would be quite amusing.

"Yes sir! I will return soon"

Breaking from the line, Loki began to circle the tower's perimiter.