The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Game Chugging [Intel]

A10spartanap117

So this problem has made me uninstall this game several times [i keep coming back because it was just a misunderstanding] I'm finally ordering new PC parts, but this is for people who are having this issue as well and can't find a conclusive answer that someone isn't telling me to turn down graphics settings...

-The situation: While in a game the FPS drops and crashes [by crash I mean freeze for a bit then responds again] the game, 60 FPS suddenly turns into 20 in a flash then anyone connected to me disconnects due to it... I am using Intel graphics so I don't know if that is causing my problems, or possibly others... 

-Things I have tried:

Turning down all settings

Turning down some settings

Running the game in 32-bit mode

Update Drivers

Turning Multi-Core Rendering on/off

Running the game on lower Resolutions

Playing offline [but what's the point of that? :/]

Running Warframe as admin

Setting the games priority to high

Running Razer Game Booster/ Turning off all background applications I can

-POST RULES:

DO NOT SAY, "Turn down the settings." Because I already said I did.

DO NOT SAY, "I'm having this problem too." Because we already went over that strategic nugget and it's making no progress if you say it too.

DO NOT CAUSE A FLAME WAR BECAUSE SOMEONE POSTED SOMETHING AND THAT NOW OFFENDS YOUR EXISTENCE THANK YOU.

Edited by A10spartanap117

I recently reinstalled Windows 64bit and added 1 extra GB or RAM (now 4GB). I have Nvidia 630 low end graphics. But this still happens to me. It used to happen to me a lot back in 32bit and 3GB of RAM (plus I used to get 15-20 fps). I'll have to test it a few more times to actually know whether it still happens.

My suggestion:

Update drivers

Reinstall Windows

Buy RAM

Buy dedicated graphics card (though my friend runs WF on Intel graphics and it stutters but does not freeze on low settings) -I'll investigate further and let you know.

Maybe problems lie in the game, the type that reinstalling won't fix.

Edited by Psycomet

I recently reinstalled Windows 64bit and added 1 extra GB or RAM (now 4GB). I have Nvidia 630 low end graphics. But this still happens to me. It used to happen to me a lot back in 32bit and 3GB of RAM (plus I used to get 15-20 fps). I'll have to test it a few more times to actually know whether it still happens.

My suggestion:

Update drivers

Reinstall Windows

Buy RAM

Buy dedicated graphics card (though my friend runs WF on Intel graphics and it stutters but does not freeze on low settings) -I'll investigate further and let you know.

Maybe problems lie in the game, the type that reinstalling won't fix.

Thanks for your input I have 2 gigs of ram currently on my laptop like I said I ordered new parts so this wont be a problem for long but I do want to get this sorted for anyone else having this problem. I have updated my drivers everything is up to date.

Before purchasing expensive parts consider that it might not fix the problem. Try other less expensive solutions first.

Also, is it possible your laptop is getting too heated up? Hmm, I may have just realised why this happens to me even after the upgrade I went through. No wonder Watch Dogs stops every 5 seconds... that game fries motherboards like BBQs!

Before purchasing expensive parts consider that it might not fix the problem. Try other less expensive solutions first.

Also, is it possible your laptop is getting too heated up? Hmm, I may have just realised why this happens to me even after the upgrade I went through. No wonder Watch Dogs stops every 5 seconds... that game fries motherboards like BBQs!

Oh no, I'm purchasing parts to build a desktop I need a rig that is for gaming I already ordered so this wont be a problem for long but I did want to fix this problem for other players as well. I watched vids for other players playing on Intel and it looked descent but I guess this could be a laptop issue. [Thanks for you input by the way]

when was the last time you had a check for dust?  unclogged fans/vents etc?  could be an overheating cpu?  try shooting some compressed air etc

tried checking your power plan in settings?, if your on balanced (typical for laptops), try performance.

defrag your HD then fix your system pagefile to 1 size instead of dynamic, place on a diff hd to the 1 you boot with if possible.

turn off aero effects etc in winblows and use the windows basic theme.

seems you have the rest of the usuals covered in the comments above as well as what you have tried already.

btw is your gfx system onboard or "proper".

EDIT: soz just noticed you mention intel gfx, that at a guess will be your biggest bottleneck if the rest of your systems ok.

Edited by Methanoid

when was the last time you had a check for dust?  unclogged fans/vents etc?  could be an overheating cpu?  try shooting some compressed air etc

tried checking your power plan in settings?, if your on balanced (typical for laptops), try performance.

defrag your HD then fix your system pagefile to 1 size instead of dynamic, place on a diff hd to the 1 you boot with if possible.

turn off aero effects etc in winblows and use the windows basic theme.

seems you have the rest of the usuals covered in the comments above as well as what you have tried already.

btw is your gfx system onboard or "proper".

EDIT: soz just noticed you mention intel gfx, that at a guess will be your biggest bottleneck if the rest of your systems ok.

Thanks for the response I did all of that as well, it helped quite a bit running the game using windows basic but it wasn't very noticeable... I don't know what to make of it every other game runs fine Blacklight, Payday, Planetside but this is a whole other issue. I turned on benchmarking and notice the game is steadily running at 60 on low settings but then randomly the frames drop to 20 if I so much as move an inch... I noticed playing offline sorta solves this issue but it makes no sense really..

Do you have exact system specs?

Usually on-board GPU's will use the system RAM unless otherwise stated. So the 2GB RAM will be shared to whatever VRAM your GPU states it uses, with the OS and programs using what's left. So if your GPU says 512MB, you're left with 1.5GB for everything else.

Another thing is that RAM speed affects the performance of your GPU. DDR RAM is quite a bit slower than the GDDR you'd find on a discrete card, or discrete embedded solution.

It could be you're just running out of memory. both for the system, and GPU. Warframe uses quite a bit of RAM. if you fill the RAM up (which i suspect you might be doing) you will start to move data off the RAM modules and onto the HDD...and this process is VERY slow, not to mention bad for your HDD.

Similarly, the speed of the bus between the RAM and GPU might be too slow to provide enough data for the GPU to complete its job in time (what's your screen res?). resulting in the stutter. As for the black screen, check your Windows logs. If your screen is turning black, it means something somewhere has be restarted. there should be a log made in the event manager detailing the fault.

Do you have exact system specs?

Usually on-board GPU's will use the system RAM unless otherwise stated. So the 2GB RAM will be shared to whatever VRAM your GPU states it uses, with the OS and programs using what's left. So if your GPU says 512MB, you're left with 1.5GB for everything else.

Another thing is that RAM speed affects the performance of your GPU. DDR RAM is quite a bit slower than the GDDR you'd find on a discrete card, or discrete embedded solution.

It could be you're just running out of memory. both for the system, and GPU. Warframe uses quite a bit of RAM. if you fill the RAM up (which i suspect you might be doing) you will start to move data off the RAM modules and onto the HDD...and this process is VERY slow, not to mention bad for your HDD.

Similarly, the speed of the bus between the RAM and GPU might be too slow to provide enough data for the GPU to complete its job in time (what's your screen res?). resulting in the stutter. As for the black screen, check your Windows logs. If your screen is turning black, it means something somewhere has be restarted. there should be a log made in the event manager detailing the fault.

Thanks for the response I have not messed with my ram one bit I have a 1366 x 768 Monitor, but in game I'm using a 1024 x 768 windowed running the game on medium specs getting 60 Frames I turn all the settings down and get the same result.

-Relevant specs:

Processor: Intel® Core i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz

GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 3000 [integrated]

Video Memory: 772.33 MB

Total Memory: 2 GB

Thanks for the response I have not messed with my ram one bit I have a 1366 x 768 Monitor, but in game I'm using a 1024 x 768 windowed running the game on medium specs getting 60 Frames I turn all the settings down and get the same result.

-Relevant specs:

Processor: Intel® Core i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz

GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 3000 [integrated]

Video Memory: 772.33 MB

Total Memory: 2 GB

It's probably the RAM you have then. Unless your GPU has it's own pool of memory (they usually dont), that 772MB will use the 2GB for system. But i don't know, it could have 2.7GB RAM just not advertise it as such. But that's where i would say the probelm is: Your RAM is offloading to the HDD very frequently.

Observe: These are roughly your settings yes? [NOTE: I've set Texture Memory to 'low' as the higher settings push me above 1GB VRAM]

warfdi85kmu.png

If so, these are the figures you'd be seeing:

warfinhrku3.png

As you can see, VRAM is ~800MB and System RAM is 3.7GB; alone greater than all your ram combined.

As a rule of thumb, if you are changing the visuals and there in NO change to the FPS (either up or down) it's probably the CPU and/or RAM. And in VERY select cases; Your HDD.

EDIT:

As far as im aware, Warframe has no option to tweak CPU and memory related options. This is why you'll hear people with very high system specs complain about low FPS. The game just keeps adding more and more stuff the longer you stay in a mission. The CPU and memory need to keep track of where all this stuff is, so when you revist a section, the GPU can render the respective object....Generally speaking of course, you'd have to ask a dev for specifics on how their engine handles that stuff :)

Edited by MillbrookWest

It's probably the RAM you have then. Unless your GPU has it's own pool of memory (they usually dont), that 772MB will use the 2GB for system. But i don't know, it could have 2.7GB RAM just not advertise it as such. But that's where i would say the probelm is: Your RAM is offloading to the HDD very frequently.

Observe: These are roughly your settings yes? [NOTE: I've set Texture Memory to 'low' as the higher settings push me above 1GB VRAM]

warfdi85kmu.png

If so, these are the figures you'd be seeing:

warfinhrku3.png

As you can see, VRAM is ~800MB and System RAM is 3.7GB; alone greater than all your ram combined.

As a rule of thumb, if you are changing the visuals and there in NO change to the FPS (either up or down) it's probably the CPU and/or RAM. And in VERY select cases; Your HDD.

EDIT:

As far as im aware, Warframe has no option to tweak CPU and memory related options. This is why you'll hear people with very high system specs complain about low FPS. The game just keeps adding more and more stuff the longer you stay in a mission. The CPU and memory need to keep track of where all this stuff is, so when you revist a section, the GPU can render the respective object....Generally speaking of course, you'd have to ask a dev for specifics on how their engine handles that stuff :)

Thank you I found this really helpful well I am ordering new parts but this game was working fine until certain add-ons and patches... Yes those were the settings I had.