Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did Vor Wake Up The Stalker? And Lore Speculation

DaiDragon

Hi everyone, just a quick though after re-watching the Vor's Prize Teaser from the latest Devstream (found 

) and I had a thought.

The queens say to Vor that they are "tired of his failure" and that "he is not to study them" but to "crush the eggs before they hatch". I might be reading into this to much but this looks like it is the start of the quest as he is demoted to "Captain Vor" at the end of that cutscene and we are introduced to him as "Captain".

So does this mean he let a pod open before to try to study the Warframe inside? If so the Tenno/Frame inside probably escaped but which one was it? We've never heard of this before so it could literally be anyone, I think it would be interesting if it was Vor who "accidentally" released the Stalker, any thoughts on this?

Also as an aside "Vorel is now in charge" is said before Vor is demoted, so I am looking forward to finding out who this is. My personal Theory is that it is simply Vor Mk2, as far as I can remember the grinner are cloned in batches and maybe Vorel is just another hatched/grown/cloned/whatever version of Vor. Maybe Vor is the "default" Grineer officer class clone/cylon/decepticon/whocares.

The other thing that interests me is another mention of "take the rail to pluto", everyone by now knows that highlighting the "outer terminus" tells us that there is a Solar Rail there that the corpus are trying to rebuild and now it seems that the Grineer may have built their own or maybe even put it there themselves and there was a big battle and that's why it needs repairing. We also know from Mag Primes entry that at some point during the Orikin's war with the Sentients that the technology was available to jump between solar systems. All of this combined with Steve now saying twice that there is a "game changer" coming in august (probably to be announced at GamesCom) tells me two things:-

1. That rail is getting repaired and both Grineer & Corpus will probably want to expand their empires outside the Sol System

2. After Sheldon let slip that there is Concept Art for the Sentients (and was quickly told to SHHH!! by Rebecca), I think our long resting/waiting enemies won't be far behind.

Thanks for reading my post guys, what are your thoughts on these subjects?

LeighPouse

- Edit - A few of you are pointing out that in the Stalkers Codex entry it says he never slept, I find this hard to believe. I don't know how long we've "slept" but it's not a quick power nap is it? it is hinted at that it is hundreds of years later (enough time for the remnants of mankind to split into the Corpus & Grineer and wage a centuries long war). Unless the Stalker is some sort of Cyborg/Android (maybe a sentient) I doubt he has actually "walked these desolate worlds while you(we) slept" and as an aside that doesn't necessarily mean he's been awake the entire time. He might have just been awoken before us.

- Edit - The phrase "Some have walked these desolate worlds while you've slept" in the Stalkers Codex entry doesn't necessarily mean he's been awake the whole time we've slept does it? maybe he set his alarm a bit before ours? (or Vor did it on accident)

Edited by LeighPouse

It seems that this cutscene is set before Captain Vor goes to the cryopod in the tutorial.

Sorry, I thought this was implied in my post but yes I think it is fairly obvious this takes place before the current "tutorial"

I find that theory true because Stalker doesn't put a death mark on you for killing Vor

Interesting point, didn't think of that

if you read Stalkers codex entry you'll find out that he was a non-tenno orokin elite soldier/officer who is taking revenge on the tenno for wiping out the orokin leaders or something and is now contracted by the corpus and grineer (and somehow the infested?!?!) to take down the tenno. who knows how he lived this long but it might have to do with the cryopod tech or the suit he made that is constructed from warframe parts.

I find that theory true because Stalker doesn't put a death mark on you for killing Vor

Or it is possible Vor set him free to hunt the Tenno. As I understand it, he wasn't put into cryosleep like the Tenno were, as far as we know. It's possible the Stalker was 'frozen' in a location, by himself, and released later on to carry out his hatred toward the Tenno for destroying the Sentients. 

I rather would think of the Stalker as a neutral party, and that Vor doesn't give a Stalker mark because he is a low level boss.

if you read Stalkers codex entry you'll find out that he was a non-tenno orokin elite soldier/officer who is taking revenge on the tenno for wiping out the orokin leaders or something and is now contracted by the corpus and grineer (and somehow the infested?!?!) to take down the tenno. who knows how he lived this long but it might have to do with the cryopod tech or the suit he made that is constructed from warframe parts.

He refers to himself as a "low-guardian" yes? Probably an early attempt at making Warframes from the Orikin before they had their success with the Human Tenno. I don't think he's contracted by them (how would the infested arrange this?) and just hates us for whatever we did.

He refers to himself as a "low-guardian" yes? Probably an early attempt at making Warframes from the Orikin before they had their success with the Human Tenno. I don't think he's contracted by them (how would the infested arrange this?) and just hates us for whatever we did.

i thought they would contract him since he always comes from killing a boss...wait....it might just be an excuse for him XD and yea i know the infested have no way thats why i questioned it

i thought they would contract him since he always comes from killing a boss...wait....it might just be an excuse for him XD and yea i know the infested have no way thats why i questioned it

I think he comes after us for interfering in a war he says we have no part in. btw would love to see an infested/Lephantis open a bank account

Who is Vorel? Well, considering the name, it might just be Vor MK II, but there's not much to work with there.

Vor's task was most likely to eradicate the Tenno before they become a threat, but in the end he was too curious about Orokin technology to just ignore the potential in it.

Vor being sent to Pluto is indeed interesting, since it is and indication on the next solar system being added with the solar rail being repaired. On the other hand he might just be there to have someone in charge of the solar rail in the case that the Outer Terminus is occupied by the Grineer and not the Corpus.

On the note of Vor waking up the Stalker I have to say that I don't think he did. The Stalker was apparently waiting for the Tenno to become active again so that he can determine which ones he needs to eradicate and which ones he can spare since he only kills the ones that kill bosses and leaves all others alone.

The Stalker most certainly isn't hired by any faction since they attack the Stalker as well.

He doesn't seem to be wishing to eradicate the Tenno since he could do so quite easily by going to the void and destroying cryopods instead of going the difficult way and killing those that are already awake.

So what has he been doing all this time? For one part he must have used some sort of technology to keep him alive for such a long time and also use that technology to create his suit that is capable of countering most abilities of the Tenno.

So, why would he not want to kill all the Tenno? Maybe he knows that the Sentients are still out there and that the Tenno will be needed to defeat them regardless of his hatred. Defeating the Sentients wouldn't be us interfering in a war we have no part in since we were part of the force that was created to defeat the Sentients.

In the end I have my doubts as of who the bad guys in all of this are. Currently we are following an AI who doesn't seem to want to tell us too much about the past and just sends us to kill some guys she declares as dangerous.

Why did the Tenno even kill the Orokin? Were we mind-controlled like the corrupted in the void and got our revenge on the Orokin when Lotus broke that control? I have a feeling that the Orokin weren't the good guys in all of this.

All in all I have a feeling that we're constantly making the choice between bad and worse rather than good and bad since I can't see any of the factions mentioned in the game as good.

Why did the Tenno even kill the Orokin? Were we mind-controlled like the corrupted in the void and got our revenge on the Orokin when Lotus broke that control? I have a feeling that the Orokin weren't the good guys in all of this.

thanks for the well thought out response, my personal thoughts on this is that the Lotus might not be as nice as we think she is. Recently she has started using us as her own personal army rather than defenders of justice or whatever, plus we know that we lost our memories during cryo-sleep and the only person I can think of who would even have that kind of power over us would be the Lotus. For whatever reason, she doesn't want us to remember what we did.

In the end I have my doubts as of who the bad guys in all of this are. Currently we are following an AI who doesn't seem to want to tell us too much about the past and just sends us to kill some guys she declares as dangerous.

All in all I have a feeling that we're constantly making the choice between bad and worse rather than good and bad since I can't see any of the factions mentioned in the game as good.

thanks for the well thought out response, my personal thoughts on this is that the Lotus might not be as nice as we think she is. Recently she has started using us as her own personal army rather than defenders of justice or whatever, plus we know that we lost our memories during cryo-sleep and the only person I can think of who would even have that kind of power over us would be the Lotus. For whatever reason, she doesn't want us to remember what we did.

I've been thinking along the same lines for some time now about this too.. perhaps the Tenno aren't so 'innocent' as we are lead to believe really.. and what is the Lotus' plan? Like you say we're effectively her personal army as it stands. As Tyrian3k alluded to we are making the decision between the greater evils here because as it stands no faction is better than the other really.

As for who Vor awoke I'm not sure.. could the Lotus herself perhaps be one of the Grineer queens? Turned against the Grineer themselves who knows!

I've been thinking along the same lines for some time now about this too.. perhaps the Tenno aren't so 'innocent' as we are lead to believe really.. and what is the Lotus' plan? Like you say we're effectively her personal army as it stands. As Tyrian3k alluded to we are making the decision between the greater evils here because as it stands no faction is better than the other really.

As for who Vor awoke I'm not sure.. could the Lotus herself perhaps be one of the Grineer queens? Turned against the Grineer themselves who knows!

Would be an awesome twist. I've been following this "eyeless slag"s orders for a long time now, want to know what her motivations are

It said he was a "lower guardian", but we don't know what a "lower guardian" is or was.  It could range anywhere from the Orokin version of the rentacop security guard all the way to a "low ranking" Tenno that due to his low rank was probably not as strong back then and was used more for guard duty and not so high risk missions.    He then used the time after the Orokin were betrayed to train and acquire the weapons and technology to specialize in hunting the Tenno.

And since he wasn't alone, that could mean that were plenty other "lower guardians" that survived and have their own "stalker faction".  

It said he was a "lower guardian", but we don't know what a "lower guardian" is or was.  It could range anywhere from the Orokin version of the rentacop security guard all the way to a "low ranking" Tenno that due to his low rank was probably not as strong back then and was used more for guard duty and not so high risk missions.    He then used the time after the Orokin were betrayed to train and acquire the weapons and technology to specialize in hunting the Tenno.

And since he wasn't alone, that could mean that were plenty other "lower guardians" that survived and have their own "stalker faction".  

that actually makes sense and an army of stalker like soldiers would be crazy

The stalker is not a Tenno, as is pointed out by his codex entry, but rather another type of Orokin, or, as he referred to himself, a "Low Guardian", which he shows is explicitly separate then the Tenno. He also says that SOME have walked these desolate worlds while the Tenno slept. implying multiple stalkers.

Edit: Should have read the other posts, I was only replying to the OP.

Edited by knightsofsanghelios

Honestly, is sounded like they said Oral was in charge now... but that can't be right, can it?

And as several posts already claimed, Stalker was awake while we slept.

It could however be that Vor tried to study the Tenno that ended up saving Excalibur's hide when he first woke in the PS4 trailer, against the Queens wishes.

After all, we see just what happens when one Tenno awakens... and now they spread like Magical-Space-Ninja-Wizard-Mercenary-Hunter-Killers.

that actually makes sense and an army of stalker like soldiers would be crazy

Somewhere in the fan concepts section, someone had a backstory of lore for a sizable Stalker faction that has its main base on the moon.  Even has a series of missions you can go on to meet the other members and possibly join the Stalker group.

The stalker is not a Tenno, as is pointed out by his codex entry, but rather another type of Orokin, or, as he referred to himself, a "Low Guardian", which he shows is explicitly separate then the Tenno. He also says that SOME have walked these desolate worlds while the Tenno slept. implying multiple stalkers.

Edit: Should have read the other posts, I was only replying to the OP.

We don't know for sure that a "Low Guardian" is not a Tenno.  Is it likely Stalker wasn't a Tenno?  Yes, but TBH, unless we get more info about these "Low Guardians" we can't be sure.

Maybe he was a "new" Tenno, as in he just got back from the void and was starting to train and develop his powers, but due to being new he wasn't "officially recognized".  Or maybe he was part of a special unit of soldiers, or low rank Tenno who's main job was just to play guard duty at the Orokin HQ.  

This could also be why he hunts the Tenno.  It's not so much as he's angered at the Tenno for their betrayal, but that he's angry at HIMSELF for failing in his duties.

But unfortunately we don't know for sure.  We're just given small snippets of lore every few months and for all we know "Low Guardian" could just mean he was the security guard at the local mall and just so happened to be nearby and got to go to the big victory celebration.  

Or he could have been a specific type of Tenno, or a "traniee" who hasn't fully developed his powers and skills and thus he wasn't given all the ranks and privileges of the "full" Tenno.

I just wish DE would give us more updates on the lore.  Would be nice to see Loki Prime and Rhino Prime updated with more lore stuff.