Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

8-Bit Warframe ~ Lost Sector

AnonCat

Lost Sector fans! Our new update draws ever closer!

As a little taster, I thought I'd share the NEW, the AWESOME, the KINDA-SIMILAR-TO-THE-LAST-ONE build for desktops :-)

It's a completely new game, that's now based on the same engine that the Android version is (my own kinda-hackish-but-actually-works-pretty-well engine xD)

This means that you should start to see feature parity between the 2 builds (we're beating DE themselves in that respect ;-) )

Anyhow, enjoy running around, and pretending there's stuff to kill and freeze and stuff - soon there will be, along with some insanely awesome stuff that we have in the pipeline!

You can download the game from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u7aksn8n6qorb2/LostSector.jar?dl=0

**P.S.** The game requires Java 7 to be installed before it will run - you can download Java from here: https://java.com/en/download/

**P.P.S.** Don't forget to have fun in our 8-bit world, created BY the community, FOR the community! :D

**P.P.P.S.** We're hiring. Payment includes fun, a warm fuzzy feeling, and probably too much banter. PM me if you're interested; we'd love to have you on board!

Hey, I'm having trouble running the .jar -- when I run it through cmd using this command:

C:\[mypath]>java -jar C:\[mypath]\Downloads\LostSector.jar

it generates and runs this line:

C:\[mypath]\Downloads\ls-updater.jar

However, I've explored the folder and there is no ls-updater.jar (neither in the downloads folder or in the .jar unzipped folders).

Hey, I'm having trouble running the .jar -- when I run it through cmd using this command:

C:\[mypath]>java -jar C:\[mypath]\Downloads\LostSector.jar

it generates and runs this line:

C:\[mypath]\Downloads\ls-updater.jar

However, I've explored the folder and there is no ls-updater.jar (neither in the downloads folder or in the .jar unzipped folders).

Sorry, it appears I overwrote the public version with a dev version that I'm testing with auto-updating - the link should be fixed now! :-)

I've got both versions of the game, but something is broken. I can run around and jump, but there are no enemies besides friendly crewmen. on the Android version I can cast infinitely. Additionally, there is no menu, i just drop straight into a level with paths sometimes too small to fit through

I've got both versions of the game, but something is broken. I can run around and jump, but there are no enemies besides friendly crewmen. on the Android version I can cast infinitely. Additionally, there is no menu, i just drop straight into a level with paths sometimes too small to fit through

Yep, the crewman's AI isn't finished yet, and the Android version doesn't have limits on casting atm - builds will be in sync for major changes (such as when I actually finish this damned AI...), but may get out of sync for the smaller changes. A menu is on the to-do list, but is fairly low priority compared to other stuff

Should the game version on PC force me into full screen? That might be something to change specifically for PC build... another thing is if you hit caps lock you cant move. Also are the attacks removed while being re designed?

It does atm, yep - I guess we could run to adding graphics options in, in a later build :-)

I'll get the caps lock bug fixed - hadn't thought about that one, thanks :D

Melee attacks and powers are implemented atm (K or Enter for melee, and 1/2/3/4 for powers)

Shooting will make a comeback at some point in the near future too - some stuff had to be stripped when the switch to OpenGL was made, and I just haven't gotten round to rewriting it yet

BnpGy4J.png

===Reddit

===VISIT Our Website

===JOIN Android Beta

==Contact me with your email if you want to join the LS team! =3

You can download the game from here: https://www.dropbox....Sector.jar?dl=0

**P.S.** The game requires Java 7 to be installed before it will run - you can download Java from here: https://java.com/en/download/

=Trouble Shooting=

=U10 Changelog=

-double jump

-Lanka laser

-Freeze(press 1; 20 eng)

-IceWave(press 2; 25 eng)

-Snowglobe(press 3; 30 eng)

-Opening lockers replenishes 5 energy

-4 different corpus death animations

-Press 'R' to reset the level

-Updated map (Thanks DofD)

-Enemies can't detect you if you are behind them.

=Upcoming=

-Three new corpus enemies.

-Full set of Frost powers.

-Procedurally generated maps.

Help us out in any way you can! Everyone below has contributed in some way.

v9VnOdC.gif WiuMRrq.gif

Sprites and Animation:

Chaz Stroud (-CM-AnonCat)

Georg Nimke (ChubbysCurryMcToastKing)

Jimmy0Jenkins

Typhuus

Xd2i3fB.png

Other Art Assets:

Arceus255
Chris Boyd (Kiwi)
DarkTails
dukezap1
Mirbersc
Reedfish
TGDM
WingedSwine

9EtHTur.png

Code:

Ben Ezard (Ezard)
Benjamin (Sakunai)
Christopherson
Emil Sehovic (AridiculusPie)
GrimWolv13
PenutReaper
Zeke Stroud (Flubausterus)

8QgAOd2.png

Sound:

Alan Weinstock

Arceus255

Deshiel

PenutReaper

5VbQM4A.png

Level Design:

DofD: "so very levels, wow!"

Lactamid

zG7roAX.png

Special Thanks:

-Tyler Wise (BouseFeenux)

-DE Rebecca

-DE Megan

-DE Adam

-Meridith Braun

-Everyone at Digital Extremes and in our community!

=Timeline=

Oct 22 2013-Typhuus creates the concept!

Sep 21 2013-PenutReaper creates killer music

Nov 01 2013-The original team is ASSEMBLED!

June 02 2014-Things get HOT!

July 11 2014-Lost Sector U4

July 16 2014-Lost Sector U7

August 21 2014-Android Beta

September 11 2014-Lost Sector U10

May 28 2015- Community Spotlight

Contact us!

Send me a forum message,

email us at contact@8bit.wf,

or send a sweet tweet! @TKSChaz @8bitWarframe

2TbmGLW.png

Excellent work.

My Dad is a trucker he could care less about the computer... but if i reformatted it, he'd get ticked... he can get annoying because of that, but meh.

No no no, delete system 32 and then rub the strongest magnet you can find on everything after opening the computer, it should do the trick.

Cookie to the one who gets the reference

• 2 weeks later...

So, how far has the android version come? I've tried it and it seams a little out dated

Well it now shares the same codebase as the PC version, so we no longer have to worry about different builds

I'm currently just working on adding enough to the game to make it worth updating - a lot of stuff has gone on under the hood, but that wouldn't nbe obvious to the player

When something interesting gets added, I'll be updating both builds :-)

Well it now shares the same codebase as the PC version, so we no longer have to worry about different builds

I'm currently just working on adding enough to the game to make it worth updating - a lot of stuff has gone on under the hood, but that wouldn't nbe obvious to the player

When something interesting gets added, I'll be updating both builds :-)

right, cause it seams like energy is unlimited, there's only one enemy and guns don't work.

right, cause it seams like energy is unlimited, there's only one enemy and guns don't work.

Yep :-)
Energy is unlimited to allow you to mess around with the powers, more enemies will be added when I finally get around to making some sort of AI for them, and I just haven't had time to add guns back in after we switched over to OpenGL
Soon™ though ;-)
Edited by Ezard

BnpGy4J.png

===Reddit

===VISIT Our Website

===JOIN Android Beta

==Contact me with your email if you want to join the LS team! =3

You can download the game from here: https://www.dropbox....Sector.jar?dl=0

=Trouble Shooting=

=U10 Changelog=

-double jump

-Lanka laser

-Freeze(press 1; 20 eng)

-IceWave(press 2; 25 eng)

-Snowglobe(press 3; 30 eng)

-Opening lockers replenishes 5 energy

-4 different corpus death animations

-Press 'R' to reset the level

-Updated map (Thanks DofD)

-Enemies can't detect you if you are behind them.

=Upcoming=

-Three new corpus enemies.

-Full set of Frost powers.

-Procedurally generated maps.

Help us out in any way you can! Everyone below has contributed in some way.

v9VnOdC.gif WiuMRrq.gif

Sprites and Animation:

Chaz Stroud (-CM-AnonCat)

Georg Nimke (ChubbysCurryMcToastKing)

Jimmy0Jenkins

Typhuus

Xd2i3fB.png

Other Art Assets:

Arceus255
Chris Boyd (Kiwi)
DarkTails
dukezap1
Mirbersc
Reedfish
TGDM
WingedSwine

9EtHTur.png

Code:

Ben Ezard (Ezard)
Benjamin (Sakunai)
Christopherson
Emil Sehovic (AridiculusPie)
GrimWolv13
PenutReaper
Zeke Stroud (Flubausterus)

8QgAOd2.png

Sound:

Alan Weinstock

Arceus255

Deshiel

PenutReaper

5VbQM4A.png

Level Design:

DofD: "so very levels, wow!"

Lactamid

zG7roAX.png

Special Thanks:

-Tyler Wise (BouseFeenux)

-DE Rebecca

-DE Megan

-DE Adam

-Meridith Braun

-Everyone at Digital Extremes and in our community!

=Timeline=

Oct 22 2013-Typhuus creates the concept!

Sep 21 2013-PenutReaper creates killer music

Nov 01 2013-The original team is ASSEMBLED!

June 02 2014-Things get HOT!

July 11 2014-Lost Sector U4

July 16 2014-Lost Sector U7

August 21 2014-Android Beta

September 11 2014-Lost Sector U10

May 28 2015- Community Spotlight

Contact us!

Send me a forum message,

email us at contact@8bit.wf,

or send a sweet tweet! @TKSChaz @8bitWarframe

2TbmGLW.png

I really wish i could play this on a Nintendo 3DS but then again Copyrights issues, but this game i swear looks like a Gameboy game or something.

Reminds me of Metroid games etc xD

Right, so I wish I could join the project but unfortunately I'm over burdened with life. That being said, I still want to help in any way I can so I'd like to make some suggestions.

First off the level select, I have a feeling you're going to do this anyway but it never hurts to say it anyway. I think it should be done like a series of mission nodes that are connected by lines, like in super mario. I know that the star chart's going to be like that soon so I thought that it would make sense.

Next is my idea of how to get special characters. In the game Shovel Knight, You will occasionally encounter mini bosses that apear over mission nodes. Seeing how Shovel Knight uses the same map system as stated above, they may go over nodes you need to get through in order to get somewhere. Also in Shovel Knight, you have to fight these bosses or you can't get passed, if you lose then the boss chances to a random location. I think a system like this would work well for the game, however I think it should be done is a bit more interesting. Instead of fighting the boss, you need to pass a challenge of some kind relating to the character. For example: The Stalker is trying to assassinate someone, you need to set up an ambush before he gets there, making it sort of a race. But here's the catch, you need to make sure that the Stalker never knows you're coming. So now you have to stealth your way through a level while racing against time.

If this doesn't work then I guess you could do a system where when you complete a mission there's a chance that the Stalker will send you his usual message and then there's a random chance to encounter him in a mission, then you beat him, then you unlock him. Another Idea I had in mind was to have Teshin a playable character and you need to challenge him in the conclave in order to unlock him.

On that Note I think that Teshin should play a part in  the game. Perhaps he gives you tutorials, or perhaps he has an arena mode or some sort of time trial races with different levels and rewards at each. And when you beat all of them, then you unlock him.

Another idea I had concerns the pink pants. So from the dev stream I've learnd that the pink pants are a form of collectible and when you get them all something cool is going to happen, well I thought that another cool idea was to make Kuria a collectible. Maybe they would do the thing that they already do and reveal lines of a poem or something. But if you do put Kuria in the game, I think you should use the old versions of the brass cat heads on a round body under two arches. I thought this would be great coming from the fact that the project came from the idea of "What would warframe look like in the 90s?"

And know my two bits on leveling. I think leveling should be based on two things, the amount of exp you get and fusion cores. When you beat a level and level up as a result, you get to spend one point on ether shields, health, armor, or energy capacity and one point to spend on ether power strength, duration, range or efficiency. Hidden in each level are two fusion cores, if you find them you can us them to level up the stats listed above except instead of one for warframe stats and one for power stats you can spend them both on whichever of those eight you'd like. I got the idea of fusion cores from the mods that effect those things, likewise, all powers are effected by a stat that is upgraded. If you can't find the fusion cores in a mission then stores will have them after you complete the mission, they will only have an amount equal to what amount of cores you missed and when you get a core in a mission it will no longer spawn. All that is to prevent overpowering via grinding.

I have to also ask, will there be secondary weapons? Cause I know there are some pretty iconic ones. I think weapons like  AkVasto, Brakk, Atomos, Twin Grakatas, Castanas, Kunai and the Lex would be cool to have. I bring this up because of my next idea.

In Mega Man and Shovle Knight, you could pause the game and use items, do you think something like that could work in this? Like lets say you have the gear wheel but instead of having eight slots you have four, items like restores can fit in these slots but weapons also fit in here to. So if you want to bring a primary, secondary and melee weapon you have to use up 3/4 slots, leaving only one slot for a restore. Restore don't stack on the same slot by the way.

Another idea I had was about archwing. You said that archwing was going to be top down, I thought about that and began to wonder if that would work well. I came to the conclusion that it would work in open areas but not in enclosed spaces like the Uranus tileset or the Corpus ship. So What if for those we make it like a side scroller.

I also thought about the possibility of putting Baro Ki'Teer in the game. What if every 3-5 missions he shows up at a relay to sell things like, say, arcanes. Arcanes that don't necessarily do the same thing as the ones in game but simaler to them. That also makes me think about the idea of implementing multiple helmets in the game, I know you said colors should stay the same to help identify the frames but I think changing helmets is something you can get away with.

Next is a thing I think is super important, dialog. Will we be able to speak - even in a text format? Will we say different things based on our warframe of choice? (I think I remember you saying that the warframes are actually individual Tenno) And will we be able to chose from different dialog options? I think player dialog is a must.

Finally, The pink pants and the possible other items I mentioned above (Kuria, Fusion Cores) where in the map will be? I think you said that the levels will be randomly generated based on tile arrangement, so where would the collectibles be? I think that they should be hidden behind breakable parts of the environment, behind some sort of puzzle or at the end of parkour rooms.

that's all I have time to say, let me know what you think.

Right, so I wish I could join the project but unfortunately I'm over burdened with life. That being said, I still want to help in any way I can so I'd like to make some suggestions.

First off the level select, I have a feeling you're going to do this anyway but it never hurts to say it anyway. I think it should be done like a series of mission nodes that are connected by lines, like in super mario. I know that the star chart's going to be like that soon so I thought that it would make sense.

Next is my idea of how to get special characters. In the game Shovel Knight, You will occasionally encounter mini bosses that apear over mission nodes. Seeing how Shovel Knight uses the same map system as stated above, they may go over nodes you need to get through in order to get somewhere. Also in Shovel Knight, you have to fight these bosses or you can't get passed, if you lose then the boss chances to a random location. I think a system like this would work well for the game, however I think it should be done is a bit more interesting. Instead of fighting the boss, you need to pass a challenge of some kind relating to the character. For example: The Stalker is trying to assassinate someone, you need to set up an ambush before he gets there, making it sort of a race. But here's the catch, you need to make sure that the Stalker never knows you're coming. So now you have to stealth your way through a level while racing against time.

If this doesn't work then I guess you could do a system where when you complete a mission there's a chance that the Stalker will send you his usual message and then there's a random chance to encounter him in a mission, then you beat him, then you unlock him. Another Idea I had in mind was to have Teshin a playable character and you need to challenge him in the conclave in order to unlock him.

On that Note I think that Teshin should play a part in the game. Perhaps he gives you tutorials, or perhaps he has an arena mode or some sort of time trial races with different levels and rewards at each. And when you beat all of them, then you unlock him.

Another idea I had concerns the pink pants. So from the dev stream I've learnd that the pink pants are a form of collectible and when you get them all something cool is going to happen, well I thought that another cool idea was to make Kuria a collectible. Maybe they would do the thing that they already do and reveal lines of a poem or something. But if you do put Kuria in the game, I think you should use the old versions of the brass cat heads on a round body under two arches. I thought this would be great coming from the fact that the project came from the idea of "What would warframe look like in the 90s?"

And know my two bits on leveling. I think leveling should be based on two things, the amount of exp you get and fusion cores. When you beat a level and level up as a result, you get to spend one point on ether shields, health, armor, or energy capacity and one point to spend on ether power strength, duration, range or efficiency. Hidden in each level are two fusion cores, if you find them you can us them to level up the stats listed above except instead of one for warframe stats and one for power stats you can spend them both on whichever of those eight you'd like. I got the idea of fusion cores from the mods that effect those things, likewise, all powers are effected by a stat that is upgraded. If you can't find the fusion cores in a mission then stores will have them after you complete the mission, they will only have an amount equal to what amount of cores you missed and when you get a core in a mission it will no longer spawn. All that is to prevent overpowering via grinding.

I have to also ask, will there be secondary weapons? Cause I know there are some pretty iconic ones. I think weapons like AkVasto, Brakk, Atomos, Twin Grakatas, Castanas, Kunai and the Lex would be cool to have. I bring this up because of my next idea.

In Mega Man and Shovle Knight, you could pause the game and use items, do you think something like that could work in this? Like lets say you have the gear wheel but instead of having eight slots you have four, items like restores can fit in these slots but weapons also fit in here to. So if you want to bring a primary, secondary and melee weapon you have to use up 3/4 slots, leaving only one slot for a restore. Restore don't stack on the same slot by the way.

Another idea I had was about archwing. You said that archwing was going to be top down, I thought about that and began to wonder if that would work well. I came to the conclusion that it would work in open areas but not in enclosed spaces like the Uranus tileset or the Corpus ship. So What if for those we make it like a side scroller.

I also thought about the possibility of putting Baro Ki'Teer in the game. What if every 3-5 missions he shows up at a relay to sell things like, say, arcanes. Arcanes that don't necessarily do the same thing as the ones in game but simaler to them. That also makes me think about the idea of implementing multiple helmets in the game, I know you said colors should stay the same to help identify the frames but I think changing helmets is something you can get away with.

Next is a thing I think is super important, dialog. Will we be able to speak - even in a text format? Will we say different things based on our warframe of choice? (I think I remember you saying that the warframes are actually individual Tenno) And will we be able to chose from different dialog options? I think player dialog is a must.

Finally, The pink pants and the possible other items I mentioned above (Kuria, Fusion Cores) where in the map will be? I think you said that the levels will be randomly generated based on tile arrangement, so where would the collectibles be? I think that they should be hidden behind breakable parts of the environment, behind some sort of puzzle or at the end of parkour rooms.

Sweet Jeebus, thats alot of text...

On that Note I think that Teshin should play a part in  the game. Perhaps he gives you tutorials, or perhaps he has an arena mode or some sort of time trial races with different levels and rewards at each. And when you beat all of them, then you unlock him.

I have to also ask, will there be secondary weapons? Cause I know there are some pretty iconic ones. I think weapons like  AkVasto, Brakk, Atomos, Twin Grakatas, Castanas, Kunai and the Lex would be cool to have. I bring this up because of my next idea.

Holy moly...

Okay, here goes:

We haven't even started talking about level select yet (mainly due to the, um, lack of levels xD), but personally I'm a fan of the Mario system so that's definitely a possibility

With regards to special characters/unlockable characters, we already have a decent idea of how we're planning on going about it - but if we do go with the Mario-esque level select then we could take a look at your suggestion

There have been talks of including Teshin, but nothing confirmed yet I'm afraid - we're still working out details about the storyline and stuff - if Teshin fits with it, then he'll make an appearance; if not, then he might make an appearance anyway xD

I like the fusion core idea (encourages the player to explore a bit around the level), but it'd need to be carefully balanced so that players don't have enough points to max everything - our current modding concepts look something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm4g539dum1bfic/UI_Modify.png?dl=0

Secondary weapons will definitely be in the game - a fair few of them have already been made, art-wise, I just haven't gotten around to implementing them yet xD

I'm not currently sure about items - your idea is a possibility, but I can't say for certain

Also not sure about Baro Ki-Teer/helmets - it's another maybe I'm afraid

Dialog-wise, I think we're planning on doing stuff the same way as Warframe does things - Lotus/bosses/other characters will speak to the player, but the player won't say anything back, not vocally anyway

With regards to choosing different options so as to make the story progress in a different way, I'm really keen on the idea. And not just the normal type of thing where your decision has no real effect (e.g. where you have to choose whether to save person A or person B, but then they both die anyway) - I really want the story to play out quite differently depending on what choices you make. Of course, creating all of these branches in the story is incredibly time consuming, and so I can't promise anything, but it's definitely something that I'd like to explore, even if we don't go with it in the end

And finally, with regards to where hidden items will be:

Our maps will be generated procedurally, yes, but generated by tiling together rooms (like how Warframe itself generated random maps) - some rooms will have hidden areas/areas that have to be broken into etc, and this is where you might be able to find the hidden items. That's our current plan, at least

Sorry I wasn't able to say yes to all of your suggestions, but I can definitely say that we'll consider them all :-)

Any more questions or suggestions, just post them here :-)