Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Does U14 Change Tenno Lore?

ElHefe

Unquestionably U14 has changed the Warframe Universe on a great many levels - a new UI, new characters, new quests - providing a greater level of immersion to RPG aspects of the game

Doubtless everyone is preoccupied with experiencing what U14 offers first hand, focusing on how game play is different ...

However, U14 has also added much in the way of new Lore and in particular to the history and the nature of the Tenno

Hightlights of U14:

1. Ordis - ship AI who knows the Tenno from the Old War

2. Lotus is referred to as "The Lotus", suggesting a title as well as name but keeping plurality ambiguous

3. In the prologue diegsis, The Lotus states that the Tenno were kept in cryosleep awaiting the time when they were needed

4. The Lotus expresses EMOTION - almost motherly caring - when addressing the revived Tenno which suggests that the Tenno are objects of attachment (i.e. Tenno are PEOPLE)

5. Vor explains his obsession with the Tenno not JUST as enemies but as genetic material to rescue his dying race

6. Vor asserts that the Tenno are "energy incarnate", indicating that it is the PERSON inside the exo-suit that is unique

7. Both The Lotus and Vor refer to the revived Tenno as "this one" and "another one", implying that each Tenno is a unique individual

There are many other revelations, but this is enough to RETHINK what was surmised from preU14 lore

The QUESTION is:  How does this new information change what you thought of the Tenno?

EXAMPLE:  The postOrokin purpose of the Tenno is MUCH CLEARER as an organized "justice league" of REPURPOSED ronin, not a ramshackle group of mercenaries

As always, I look forward to your thoughts and critiques ... 

Edited for clarity

Edited by ElHefe

From what Vor said, it just affirms what I believe.

Tenno gained their powers from the void, and that is also where they get their energy. The frames were built around them to help amplify and control that energy. Each frame is a different character, not the same Tenno going from frame to frame.

Damn, this update really put a foot down on lore. I hope we get more, its all so exciting! :D

We almost need an entire story now! I need to know why we were awoken again. What happened to the orikin. Why did we kill them who were the sentients! I NEED FLASH BACK PART OF THE STORY

I don't think this update expands on tenno lore more, but it most certainly expands our knowledge of the current situation in the origin system.

It certainly does. Without tiny put togethers and puzzling from community this update GREATLY increased amount and importance of lore in the game, it gave you a purpose and a reason as to why you are where you are

@ knightNeet ... In the prologue The Lotus states that the Tenno are being revived because the Origin System has reached a TIPPING POINT

The Grineer - which has been a dying race - somehow have been able to embark on large-scale conquest to establish a system-wide EMPIRE, crushing underfoot independent colonist enclaves as well as searching out and destroy sleeping Tenno

Hopefully, there is more afoot than just the Grineer ...

It certainly does. Without tiny put togethers and puzzling from community this update GREATLY increased amount and importance of lore in the game, it gave you a purpose and a reason as to why you are where you are

I especially enjoy the radio chatter. The one about the grineer pacification of Saturn and ruk being promoted to general is particularly interesting. 

@ knightNeet ... In the prologue The Lotus states that the Tenno are being revived because the Origin System has reached a TIPPING POINT

The Grineer - which has been a dying race - somehow have been able to embark on large-scale conquest to establish a system-wide EMPIRE, crushing underfoot independent colonist enclaves as well as searching out and destroy sleeping Tenno

Hopefully, there is more afoot than just the Grineer ...

exactly what I meant

Each frame is a different character, not the same Tenno going from frame to frame.

What Vor says doesn't confirm this, in fact other new parts of new lore seems to say the opposite.

1. I can't remember the actual line, but Vor says something along the lines of a Warframe being like glass that shapes the energy that is the Tenno. But he does not say that the Tenno is permanently in that form.

2. The new ship is made to be part of our world and therefore it's lore, so the fact that within it we can choose which shape/Warframe to wear seems to also go in that we wear different Warframes.

3. If you do the Mirage quest, the lines spoken there seem to have it that we discover an old Warframe and then, rather than resurrect that Warframe, we learn from her past and build the Warframe that has long been forgotten in order to add it to our own collection.

Outside of all that, the one things that I feel has certainly changed is the nature of who are the good/bad guys. Those who have been playing Warframe for a long time will understand what I say when for a long time there was the question of "Are we really the good guys, or are we just being manipulated by Lotus?" This update, as mentioned before has certainly clear that up with Lotus and Tenno being the good guys. :)

Tenno gained their powers from the void, and that is also where they get their energy. The frames were built around them to help amplify and control that energy. Each frame is a different character, not the same Tenno going from frame to frame.

That's not it at all. Vor says

"Tenno do not control the Warframe's Divine energy. The Tenno are that energy. Each Warframe that you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light."

The Tenno are pseudo corporeal energy being that change Warframes at will.

Edited by ValhaHazred

@ vaugahn ... I agree with your last point about radio chatter

Not only does it provide immersivity - the Liset really feels like a spyship, it also underscores the fast-paced action of the system that was only graphically depicted with notices of conflicts, alerts and invasions

As an aside, it would be nice to have an "off" switch - rather distracting when you are tinkering around with leveling mods, frames or weapons

I want to know how Vor could be at Phobos and alive with lech kril when its clear after the events of update 14 he is undead and guards the void.

I assume we are just going to say none of its canon and was just a placeholder for the event at the time?

What Vor says doesn't confirm this, in fact other new parts of new lore seems to say the opposite.

1. I can't remember the actual line, but Vor says something along the lines of a Warframe being like glass that shapes the energy that is the Tenno. But he does not say that the Tenno is permanently in that form.

2. The new ship is made to be part of our world and therefore it's lore, so the fact that within it we can choose which shape/Warframe to wear seems to also go in that we wear different Warframes.

3. If you do the Mirage quest, the lines spoken there seem to have it that we discover an old Warframe and then, rather than resurrect that Warframe, we learn from her past and build the Warframe that has long been forgotten in order to add it to our own collection.

Outside of all that, the one things that I feel has certainly changed is the nature of who are the good/bad guys. Those who have been playing Warframe for a long time will understand what I say when for a long time there was the question of "Are we really the good guys, or are we just being manipulated by Lotus?" This update, as mentioned before has certainly clear that up with Lotus and Tenno being the good guys. :)

Vor basically is saying that the warframes are channeling the energy from the void/tenno.

When they find new warframes, they can get it, study it, and build more because we have the technology to do so.

As an aside, it would be nice to have an "off" switch - rather distracting when you are tinkering around with leveling mods, frames or weapons

I'm hoping we get more/this. Maybe an option when you walk over to the radio that lets you cycle through channels and turn it off.

That's not it at all. Vor says

"Tenno do not control the Warframe's Divine energy. The Tenno are that energy. Each Warframe that you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light."

The Tenno are pseudo corporeal energy being that change Warframes at will.

The warframe channels the energy from the void, and that is what Vor is talking about. We know he becomes corrupted by the void, and he already has his Seer orokin-grineer pistol in the quest. He was saying that "Tenno do not control the void energy" in a dramatic way. He thinks only he understands the void, but that is incorrect.

EXAMPLE:  The postOrokin purpose of the Tenno is MUCH CLEARER as an organized "justice league" of REPURPOSED ronin, not a ramshackle group of mercenaries

Until you remember that they're butchering each other over scraps of the solar system for nothing but material gain.

@ Sealgaire ... true, however upon completing an extermination mission on Mercury The Lotus now tells you that "justice has been served" and that the colonist families of those killed by the Grineer will not be comforted (or to that effect)

@ TheStag ... I agree with your point that Vor is not an unimpeachable information source

For that matter, maybe NO ONE is - even The Lotus

Since the story so far is a mystery/who done it, then we would circumspect to be critical of everything to be ready for anything yet to come ... 

@ ValhaHazred ... I agree with TheStag regarding the "corporeality" of the Tenno if for no other reason The Lotus seems to be emotionally attached to the Tenno

If the Tenno are nothing more than energy itself, that would be like loving a light bulb just because it shines ...

As an aside, IMHO it matters not if The Lotus herself is an organic or an AI (ALTHOUGH Vor refers to The Lotus as HER), compassion that The Lotus expresses for the revived Tenno indicates a feeling bestowed upon another being

Secondly, if the Tenno are just energy incarnate then why the need for a humanoid vessel - the warframe?

Why not be a cube or a sphere?

Why not just "float" about?   

The only compelling counterargument would be that while the Tenno are "living energy", MENTALLY they still think that they are human and need a humanoid shape to be able to manipulate objects and move around

Thirdly, don't we rescue humanoid Tenno devoid of the warframe on captive missions?

Does that mean they aren't REAL Tenno? 

If that is the case, then the plot writers at DE have a serious inconsistency problem ...

@ Hendryx ... you raise a number of good points

1.  The Tenno may not have a PERMANENT form ... just fascinating!  The Tenno are evolving?  Hadn't thought of that, has a lot of interesting story-telling possibilities

BUT, doesn't the fact that the Tenno have been in storage for some time implicitly imply that they have been unchanged?

2. The single Tenno-poly framed debate preU14 was fraught with preconceived personal biases of RPG play as much as differences of inference from limited lore

In U14, both Vor and The Lotus acknowledge the uniqueness of the revived Tenno IMPLYING a 1:1 correspondence of warframe and Tenno

3.  The Mirage Quest sounds like a must-do, thanks for the intel ...

Edited by ElHefe

@ ValhaHazred ... I agree with TheStag regarding the "corporeality" of the Tenno if for no other reason The Lotus seems to be emotionally attached to the Tenno

snip

1&2: Notice I said Pseudo-Corporeal, not incorporeal. I agree they probably need some kind of humanoid form to stay stable and active. Like Kraus from Hellboy!

Otherwise it might simply be social and political reasons. The Orokin designed the Warframes after all. We simply don't know their reasoning.

3: No those aren't Tenno. They are never refereed to as such, in fact during alerts and the like they are usually called either civilians or Lotus operatives.

Edited by ValhaHazred

Having recently completed Mirage's Quest, yet more tantalizing details have been added to the Tenno Lore ...

***WARNING!  Content below contains information learned only by completing the Mirage Quest***

The Sentients travel in craft that The Lotus refers to as "Wormships".  Might this be a reference to their shape or function?  Example - a biological reference:  a worm can be a parasite or a vital part of an ecosystem.  Example - a physical phenomenon:  a worm hole is a theoretical hyperspace tunnel.

The Sentients are most likely SMALLER in size than a Tenno as they "swarm" around the long dead Mirage Tenno

The Sentients have physical bodies with heads which would indicate that they are an organic life form

The Tenno known as Mirage is described as a "she", has "eyes" and ultimately is "lost forever" as the warframe exo-suit burns away from the assault of the Sentients, suggesting that the occupant of the warframe has a human form and is mortal as such.  This would strongly argue against the Tenno being a form of energy itself

Mirage refuses to retreat against the overwhelming force of the Sentients, preferring to fight to her death which indicates a human sense of honor

The Lotus seems to be the narrator of the hidden messages, suggesting that she - or some copy - has been in existence since the Orokin-Sentient War

The Lotus states that she "lied" to Mirage regarding the availability of rescue and that Mirage understood that it was done for comfort.  Additionally, The Lotus of present day instructs you to build the lost warframe in honor of the slain valiant Tenno who wore the Mirage frame.  Both would indicate that The Lotus is a thinking entity with real human compassion, not just an algorithmic mimic

The locations of Mirages components are spread over the Origin System.  How did they get there?

The various components of Mirage are inscribed with poetic riddles based upon Helenistic Grecian mythology.  Who wrote the messages?  Why did they make the clues so cryptic?