Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lost Audio Device! Please Restart...

Polymoore

Hey there! My friend is having an audio issue. I had him update drivers (because ya' never know) and asked him a few questions. He never had this issue before U14, but admittedly, he has a new headset since he last played. He has no other headset to plug in and test to see if it may be an issue with his new one. His new headset is USB, and it's a Logitech G35.

If he chooses to ignore the message and keep playing, all audio is disabled. The issue only comes up when he activates the navigation menu.

997e9813df8186b45d2a17210d13cd37.png

He should use a different USB port with a more solid connection, or use a more stable audio device.

I should note that he is not having this problem on any other game. His particular headset should not be the problem. 

He's tried switching ports around but still encounters the error.

I should note that he is not having this problem on any other game. His particular headset should not be the problem. 

He's tried switching ports around but still encounters the error.

The error is due to his hardware losing connection (I know somebody else with this issue).  Most games will reinstate the audio after a connection loss (or simply don't time it out and keep using it anyways), but Warframe will not.  It doesn't look like this is a big concern for DE because it affects so few people and it's a hardware issue anyways so I doubt that Warframe will change the way it handles this computer problem, so the computer problem itself being fixed is the best method to stop the issue right now.

The error is due to his hardware losing connection (I know somebody else with this issue).  Most games will reinstate the audio after a connection loss (or simply don't time it out and keep using it anyways), but Warframe will not.  It doesn't look like this is a big concern for DE because it affects so few people and it's a hardware issue anyways so I doubt that Warframe will change the way it handles this computer problem, so the computer problem itself being fixed is the best method to stop the issue right now.

Can you say this with absolute certainty? 

If so, you're saying my friend has to buy another headset instead of using his already new $100 headset that should work. Without any real guarantee the new headset won't encounter the same problem. And according to what you've said, this is because DE hasn't yet added this seemingly basic audio feature that many games have? (Which is very honestly, a surprise.) 

Are you that well-versed on the subject and there's really no other way around it, or are you assuming based on knowledge collected from similar experiences?

Can you say this with absolute certainty? 

If so, you're saying my friend has to buy another headset instead of using his already new $100 headset that should work. Without any real guarantee the new headset won't encounter the same problem. And according to what you've said, this is because DE hasn't yet added this seemingly basic audio feature that many games have? (Which is very honestly, a surprise.) 

Are you that well-versed on the subject and there's really no other way around it, or are you assuming based on knowledge collected from similar experiences?

Slow down there, cowboy.

I stated what was causing the issue and that the cause, which is a hardware issue, should be avoided.  I stated to try another USB port as the very first response, as a port with a more stable physical connection is less likely to have a momentary disconnect due to movement.  Do note that USB does not use the outer metal shell for connectivity (rather that's just for wear and structure), USB has 4 metal contact pins on the inside that actually carry the data/power and these pins are what need to maintain connection with the USB port.  It's entirely possible for one/all of these pins to lose connection while the plug itself appears from the outside to be firmly inserted.

The alternative solution was, and I quote, "a more stable audio device", as in something other than the setup he's using now.  Which is not another of the same USB headset. :P  Preferably onboard audio with a standard headset, where the connectivity of the headset doesn't affect the way the audio device itself runs.

Slow down there, cowboy.

I stated what was causing the issue and that the cause, which is a hardware issue, should be avoided.  I stated to try another USB port as the very first response, as a port with a more stable physical connection is less likely to have a momentary disconnect due to movement.  Do note that USB does not use the outer metal shell for connectivity (rather that's just for wear and structure), USB has 4 metal contact pins on the inside that actually carry the data/power and these pins are what need to maintain connection with the USB port.  It's entirely possible for one/all of these pins to lose connection while the plug itself appears from the outside to be firmly inserted.

The alternative solution was, and I quote, "a more stable audio device", as in something other than the setup he's using now.  Which is not another of the same USB headset. :P  Preferably onboard audio with a standard headset, where the connectivity of the headset doesn't affect the way the audio device itself runs.

There must be a misunderstanding. I'm fully aware of what you stated.

I didn't mean "having to buy the same setup he's using now", I meant just any other headset. Based off what you had stated, I made the assumption that buying any new headset means it can still encounter the problem. 

You said it is a hardware issue, and I don't deny that. However, Most games will reinstate the audio after a connection loss (or simply don't time it out and keep using it anyways), but Warframe will not.  . That quote tells me it can be fixed without the need for players to purchase new hardware.

I hope this reply clears things up.

Potentially, but like I said it's such a rare issue (you're only the second person I've seen mention this) and is actually being caused by a hardware connectivity issue that I doubt DE will fix it soon, which is why I focused on solving the problem instead of making Warframe work around it like other games do.

I had the same issue with my G35 a while back. Eventually I had to return it to Logitech under warranty for replacement. I think other games will just reestablish the connection when the headset "reboots" or whatever it's doing, but Warframe doesn't do that for some reason. In other words, the problem is probably the headset, not the game.

When I got the new G35 from Logitech, I sold it on Ebay and bought a Steelseries headset instead. Haven't had a single problem since. Take that for what it's worth.

I've had this happen with my Logitech G950s... Usually it's when I have them powered off but they're on powered via the USB and then when I knock the cord, if the connection glitches and the Windows audio service then switches to "Speakers" drivers I get that error. But it's definitely something the game should gracefully handle...instead of the error, it should retry capturing access to the sound device. I'm not sure if the game is trying to secure exclusive access as well, which it shouldn't.

Thanks for the report, we will look into it.

Thank you, it's appreciated. 

I had the same issue with my G35 a while back. Eventually I had to return it to Logitech under warranty for replacement. I think other games will just reestablish the connection when the headset "reboots" or whatever it's doing, but Warframe doesn't do that for some reason. In other words, the problem is probably the headset, not the game.

When I got the new G35 from Logitech, I sold it on Ebay and bought a Steelseries headset instead. Haven't had a single problem since. Take that for what it's worth.

That's good advice, we'll keep it in mind.

I've had this happen with my Logitech G950s... Usually it's when I have them powered off but they're on powered via the USB and then when I knock the cord, if the connection glitches and the Windows audio service then switches to "Speakers" drivers I get that error. But it's definitely something the game should gracefully handle...instead of the error, it should retry capturing access to the sound device. I'm not sure if the game is trying to secure exclusive access as well, which it shouldn't.

I agree. One thing I find odd is that the error only comes up when he activates the navigation menu. Which is what had me thinking it's not just a hardware issue.

• 2 months later...

Having this same issue with a Logitech G430 plugged via the USB port. I installed the latest drivers, restarted my computer, uninstalled and installed back Warframe and I keep getting the same error.

I closed the Logitech application, but the game will still give me the same error. I removed the USB port and connected the headset through the headphones port, and it worked! However all the surround effects are not available this way,  I really want to play Warframe with the surround system this headest offers :C

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

De_George I hope you're still checking this thread. After the new update I decided to try to use my Logitech headset again in case I missed something in the patch notes, this is what I found out:

Going Solo without both Directx10 11 lets me play without losing audio. I played a syndicate and archwing mission without problem.

Solo with Directx11 alone has the same result as above.

Solo with Directx10 alone, same as above

Solo, with both Directx11 and 10 enabled, same as above

When I make turn matches from solo to public in nav menu, as soon as I join a mission or the "finding squad" (as if I were to join one of the current squads on the node) turns into "waiting for players" audio is lost. 

If I start a squad in Solo, got to a planet, and then make it public, click a mission without squads in it, audio is kept but mission starts as solo (everything gets paused once I click escape), despite being started as public.

Playing Public matches with Directx10 alone, audio is lost in navigation menu

Playing Public matches with Directx11 alone, result is same as above.

Public matches with both enabled, same as above.

Public matches without Directx11 or 10, same as above.

Friends only with and without both Directx, audio is lost on nav menu

Invitation only, with and without both Directx enabled, same as above.

Only thing left is testing with getting invited to a game. But it appears the audio issue is with matches set to anything different than solo, the result will be the same.

I hope this is helpful.

I may seem like a slowpoke, but this particular problem or similar goes back into U9 or less!

I thought, that it's only my problem with drivers, but really it seems not.

I will try to explain the situation from my side.

I'm using Dell Inspiron 5110, and using provided by them audio drivers. Currently I'm using win8.1
This problem accured, I thing from the time, when voice input were represented into the game.
Running solo missions, does not cause problems in the navigation bar (for before Liset update, going/selecting any planet/node caused same circumstances). But when you switch to any other playing parametr (friends, invite, public) right in the moment when you select a node (now the nav bar), there is about 1-2 sec reconnection/redirection to audio. I can tell it, because I'm always listening music, when I play. Even if I speaking with someone threw Skype. In the moment, when you select the node, music kinda recconects to "other" audio channel, and it's start playing less louder, more like at less quality. (and no, that's now windows's lowering other app's audio, I've checked that).
In most cases, this just ended up with a "less quality music" for me, and absolutely normal ingame experience. But sometimes it not just broke the game for me (no audio detected), but even broke audio on my laptop! Only relogin/restart of my PC fixed this problem. (This happened mostly before U13 I think, and also, I were using then win8).
After my upgrade to win8.1 and U13 (or later), problem with sound disconnection dissapeared. But problem with "low quality sound" still there.

This problem goes for alot of devices. I've tried with just my smartphones headphones, with my current headphones with micro (Creative, not USB), with USB headphones (I don't remember, may be logitech), and my Bluetooth headphones. This sound problem existed on all of the headphones, but in my case, if I correctly remember, only bluetooth headphones worked fine (I've tested it about year ago or so. I may be wrong).

Other problem is, that if I will disconnect my headphones from a laptop, the problem in game WILL occur! I have speakers in may laptop. so game should probably reconnect to them, but no. And it may even cause a total drop of audio on my PC as well (Too afraid to test right now =))

So, If this info will help to resolve this old problem, then perfect!
DE, If you'll need some tests with this, just leave here a message. I can get few headphones to test)