Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Mastery Aspect Of The Focus System

Fo0otsteps

Most good mmos let you just grind up and achieve 90-95% of the skilltree within the first month. And it's only a few of the good games that reserve the top of the skilltree for dedicated grinders. (Path of Exile being one of the few GOOD games that handles it like this)

If you say that this kind of a long grind is good for any new player or people who decided "Hey, I dont actually want to level bad weapons that I dont like"...then you should try oldschool Korean mmos...you would love those.... but there is a reason why most of those died.

DCUO is awesome at that with Skill Points. You get them by doing certain challenges. Obviously a person who played 2+ Years will have more skill Points than a rookie. It'll be exactly the same, but if we have no type of Balance that separates the Rookies from the Veterans, what's the point of being a Vet if everything gets handed to you ( Taxi's, Carrying, Boltor Prime requiring Mastery 2, etc.)

You literally get the best damn rifle/ Warframe unlocked at Mastery 2, everything else is just experimentation. A person can literally clear the Solar System with just a Boltor Prime and a non-Prime Rhino. 

Edited by (PS4)kiddplay13

Also...all the veterans being all like "that's the only way to keep people busy n stuff hurr durr"...no it's not...veterans are already super high ranks...they will just breeze through it in a week.

So forcing it on a higher mastery rank only makes it painful for newbies while veterans will breeze through it like any other feature that has been added. DE should find another way rather than capping it to the highest mastery possible.

I don't say high mastery people shouldn't get some bonuses....but if it's just high mastery then this is no different than leveling just a new Frame or Weapon and you will be done in a few days tops....

I dont think anyone would join the game because they saw the focus system update, and if they did, they would probably wont bother with it since they would see a lot of stuff to mess with(mods, sentinels, foundry, etc)

DCUO is awesome at that with Skill Points. You get them by doing certain challenges. Obviously a person who played 2+ Years will have more skill Points than a rookie. It'll be exactly the same, but if we have no type of Balance that separates the Rookies from the Veterans, what's the point of being a Vet if everything gets handed to you ( Taxi's, Carrying, Bolotor Prime requiring Mastery 2, etc.)

How is that even remotely the same?

You get skillpoints for certain challenges that actually include real gameplay (I suppose) vs mastery tied points that you get more if you grinded your &#! off with boring weapons......

Why not make it more like DCUO then where you get rewarded those points for certain feats instead of a grinding contest.......

I seriously don't get this community...first they complain about how the game is just grind and then they complain about that the new feature might not feature enough grind....like what the F*** is wrong with this community.

How is that even remotely the same?

You get skillpoints for certain challenges that actually include real gameplay (I suppose) vs mastery tied points that you get more if you grinded your @$$ off with boring weapons......

Why not make it more like DCUO then where you get rewarded those points for certain feats instead of a grinding contest.......

I seriously don't get this community...first they complain about how the game is just grind and then they complain about that the new feature might not feature enough grind....like what the F*** is wrong with this community.

Well, first you grind those points... Doing the same Raid/Alert over and over in case you messed up the challenge. I suggest fully googling / wiki'n Skill Points before you past judgment.  

PS if the game is a grind fest and all the weapons are boring, why are you still playing? I thought people played games for enjoyment         ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by (PS4)kiddplay13

Also...all the veterans being all like "that's the only way to keep people busy n stuff hurr durr"...no it's not...veterans are already super high ranks...they will just breeze through it in a week.

So forcing it on a higher mastery rank only makes it painful for newbies while veterans will breeze through it like any other feature that has been added. DE should find another way rather than capping it to the highest mastery possible.

I don't say high mastery people shouldn't get some bonuses....but if it's just high mastery then this is no different than leveling just a new Frame or Weapon and you will be done in a few days tops....

That is the problem with end-game now. However focus just allows spillover exp to keep coming. So it is just an endless grind for perfect weapons that you yourself favour.

That way mastery rank vets would have something to hold them only for a fixed amount of time. There really isn't almost any way that DE can adopt an exit strategy purely for vets as of now. Raids don't hold water because there really is nothing worth rewarding. In addition pvp isn't participated actively in either so raid rewards mean even less, overall the Devs are abit tight on what is the right thing to do.

You don't take the community and say everyone sits in the same box.

There are many smaller groups of vocal minorities. That is the problem. All these groups are causing the game to become worse because each update more groups are divided and so updates become more and more neutral in terms of who the content is directed upon and overall all the updates become even more boring.

We have to start skewing updates again for it to be exciting. All this updates for everyone has led to alot of boring additions, atleast the U-14 was focused on the new player experience and that made a difference.

I dont think anyone would join the game because they saw the focus system update, and if they did, they would probably wont bother with it since they would see a lot of stuff to mess with(mods, sentinels, foundry, etc)

As stated, focus is meant for players who already ran out of things to do and so is not aimed at entertaining new players.

Edited by Jacate

The thing I like most about the proposed system is we can choose between increasing mastery, making a weapon more powerful, and leveling focus. Because we have a direct conflict between those three, the only way people will bother with mastery is to see a benefit from doing so.

The way I see it, it's gonna take a LONG time to level 16 new 'skills'. And I don't see those skills making a massive change in stats, etc. I'm thinking something like 5% damage, 5% shields, etc - having to take one of those instead of both isn't going to make a huge impact. Better, even, if the skills are tweaks like the Arcane helmets or a utility skill (super jump anyone? etc).

If you plan your foundry work at all, there's no waiting while grinding mastery. The whole way from like MR2 to 16 I had something waiting in the foundry to level.

The problem is, Warframe is not an MMO.

Yet one hell of a lot of people think it is . . .which is hardly surprising as MMO strictly speaking is something which supports a massive amount of people online on the same map at the same time, but the same can be said for Warframe, only difference is we come in chunks of 4 people squads.

The only part of Warframe I have always thought as unnecessary padding is the Mastery bit. I'd like to see a normal Battlefield Game type upgrading.

I forced myself to level 10 just to get the weapons but all along felt incredible resistance to this little kiddy neccesity.

It has been said over and over, people who do well in mastery can be crap in the game and people who do bad in mastery can be brilliant in the game, mastery is complete and utter rubbish as a benchmark.

There is an obstacle course in the dojo, use that if farting around is your bag, I'm not some little kid needing mastery forced upon me to make progress in a computer game so if more is locked to mastery levels I'll happily pass on whatever the reward is.

DE - for the adults amongst us who feel this way a system more like the ones in more adult games like Battlefield would be appreciated (and I'm sure some $&*^ is going to suggest I go play Battlefield if that is how I feel . . .they just can't help themselves, oh, the bravery of being behind a keyboard)

The only part of Warframe I have always thought as unnecessary padding is the Mastery bit. I'd like to see a normal Battlefield Game type upgrading.

I forced myself to level 10 just to get the weapons but all along felt incredible resistance to this little kiddy neccesity.

It has been said over and over, people who do well in mastery can be crap in the game and people who do bad in mastery can be brilliant in the game, mastery is complete and utter rubbish as a benchmark.

There is an obstacle course in the dojo, use that if farting around is your bag, I'm not some little kid needing mastery forced upon me to make progress in a computer game so if more is locked to mastery levels I'll happily pass on whatever the reward is.

DE - for the adults amongst us who feel this way a system more like the ones in more adult games like Battlefield would be appreciated (and I'm sure some $&*^ is going to suggest I go play Battlefield if that is how I feel . . .they just can't help themselves, oh, the bravery of being behind a keyboard)

Please dont use Battlefield as comparison to adult game. You are ridiculing yourself.

I think they've said multiple times on streams that focus is a thing for you to focus your time on once you complete everything else in game. Perhaps it functions a s a reward to players that have invested the time and effort into the game.

On the other hand, perhaps newbies shoudl get Beginner level focus mods (ala the damaged serration etc from tutorial) to temporarily fuel them, and when they have reached higher ranks, they get those much improved versoions of focus abilities

I think they've said multiple times on streams that focus is a thing for you to focus your time on once you complete everything else in game. Perhaps it functions a s a reward to players that have invested the time and effort into the game.

On the other hand, perhaps newbies shoudl get Beginner level focus mods (ala the damaged serration etc from tutorial) to temporarily fuel them, and when they have reached higher ranks, they get those much improved versoions of focus abilities

That is like what one of the users said which is dangling a carrot infront of the players to force them to go long term. That isn't what they game should be doing. If it did than alot of players who are new would feel excluded, especially mid tier players who would complain that it is too hard to get better focus mods and the whole system would crash on its head because of these players.

I am not for having weaker version of focus to compensate for these players. It is either you have it or you don't. I am a mid tier player myself and i don't want an end tier system going to waste because other players feel that they are being excluded from the whole end-game content aspect.

Please note that from my understanding the "tree" is going to be _much_ shallower that the available mastery rank.

E.G. lets say the tree is only 10 "ranks" deep

The implication is that as you pass the lower ranks the higher ones will take more and more affinity to achieve. If you are getting close to "Rank" 10 you should have easily blown past MR10 anyway.

Where the mastery _really_ comes in is that there will be more than one tree. Of course you only get to equip one tree at once. But that doesn't mean you will only ever want one tree.

E.G. at MR10 you could have one tree at a depth of 10 or two with a depth of 5

The point is that you could still max out a single tree at a lower MR requirement but if you want flexibility you would need a high MR.

Also this is supposed to be the "end game" system. As a result the requirement to master as much as you can is far from unusual.

Edited by SilentMobius

Why can't XP just be XP? Like why do I have to level up every weapon and warframe to gain levels in order to use weapons and now to access this focus content?

I don't want to own every frame and weapon.. I know, someone go ahead and yell it "THEN PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME!" right? Not a good answer. I will not sit here and believe that the whole point, the whole goal of warframe was to obtain and max all of them as well as weapons.. I thought those were for VARIETY, as in not FORCED usage.. 

Let me cover another "instant" responses:

I know I know. Utility blah blah. I somehow "HAVE" to be able to be,do, play as everything at a moments notice or the community will exile me etc etc. 

Honestly, I couldn't care any less about being what others want me to be. I play what I want because I want to play it. Whether if that is one single frame, 2 frames, or all frames. it shouldn't be a requirement to have to "dreadfully" run around with a dread for 30 levels just to be able to access another piece of content..

You guys wouldn't want content locked behind the Dark Sector pvp, so I don't see how locking content this way is any different. Forcing people to do what they feel they shouldn't have to do..

Edited by Vyeth