The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All This Discussion About Old Ui Vs New Ui Could've Been Buried Already.

Shehriazad

With out-of-the-box hotkeys.

It is beyond me how after all this time DE has not implemented this. It could even be implemented "console friendly" (I guess) since many buttons/keys are unused while you are in your ship.

PC users could just get a pre-bound 1 2 3 4 5 6 and PS4 users just get to use the touchpad with 4 directions (like abilities) and then 2 buttons that are unused while in "ship mode".

Pressing a hotkey (or using the according PS4 input while in ship mode) will just instantly get you to that menu.

PC example: 

1: Navigation
2: Arsenal
3: Mods
4:Foundry
5:Marketplace
6:Kubrow

There...was that so hard?
Give us hotkeys for all UI main menus and it would actually be faster than the old UI (at least as far as getting into the menus, the mod menu itself is still a bit of a mess)

People that like the immersion are not affected and people (Veterans most likely) that don't want to deal with the finicky button clicking or walking also get to have their cake AND eat it.

Edited by Shehriazad

First, those need to be as quick-acess buttons on the screen 

The mouse is being used for navigation, which is why they should be mapped to keyboard.

Anyways, the worst thing about the UI for me is that the few problems with it seem to be very easy to fix, but have not been fixed yet.

With out-of-the-box hotkeys.

It is beyond me how after all this time DE has not implemented this. It could even be implemented "console friendly" (I guess) since many buttons/keys are unused while you are in your ship.

PC users could just get a pre-bound 1 2 3 4 5 6 and PS4 users just get to use the touchpad with 4 directions (like abilities) and then 2 buttons that are unused while in "ship mode".

Pressing a hotkey (or using the according PS4 input while in ship mode) will just instantly get you to that menu.

PC example: 

1: Navigation

2: Arsenal

3: Mods

4:Foundry

5:Marketplace

6:Kubrow

There...was that so hard?

Give us hotkeys for all UI main menus and it would actually be faster than the old UI (at least as far as getting into the menus, the mod menu itself is still a bit of a mess)

People that like the immersion are not affected and people (Veterans most likely) that don't want to deal with the finicky button clicking or walking also get to have their cake AND eat it.

This is a pretty good idea, i'll give it an upvote. I do think mod interface still needs lots of work tho. There should be tabs you can switch between, not 4 completely separate sections, and you should be able to tab from weapons to mods too.

That would be too much hotkeys in the screen. People were mostly complaining about a 1 or 2 second movement to get to the navigation, just that. You only have to get used to move a little, it wont hurt anybody or make you loose tons of hours because the ship has a relatively small size. In addition to all this the navigation has been fixed in terms of finding the right planet and showing ressources.

As interesting as that idea is the only issue so far I have with the new UI system and even the Updates that Warframe has made thus far is the placing of the Names of the planets, and the resources that are displayed on each. We just need a hover over for resources and planet names so it doesn't clutter things, nothing more and nothing less.

I also agree with Aramanth in this one, the Developers need to be worried more on crucial things now. This is done and needs to be moved on with tweaking as they go along at the minimal.

Edited by Monybags33

Though I have absolutely no idea why people have problems with the UI right now, this doesn't sound like a bad idea for people that don't like actually putting effort into navigating through the ESC button....

I dont like having to go all the way out of something to go into something else

I dont like the shakiness or having to press escape when i could just click and travel easier

IMO the navigation section could be changed to bring up the old UI and just make it easier while keeping the immersion

Though I have absolutely no idea why people have problems with the UI right now, this doesn't sound like a bad idea for people that don't like actually putting effort into navigating through the ESC button....

Let's just use a chain of events as an example.  Say I want to go to my mods and transmute, then I want to go to my arsenal and upgrade, then I want to start some crafting, then I want to jump into a mission.

Old UI: 9 clicks 

New UI:  20 clicks/keypresses

That's not counting any clicks/presses for choosing which mods/crafting you're screwing with.

That is literally over 100% more input required by the user to achieve the same thing.  Sure, it might not take much time, but that doesn't invalidate the fact it was a step backward.  Additionally, this is a chain of events that happens many, many times in an average play session.  It adds up.  

As an app dev for businesses, if I presented a 100% increase to user input required, you can be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that some PM or Six Sigma wannabe is going to turn that into direct FTE expenses and I'm going to get my &#! reamed by management over the tangible time (= money) loss, even if it might seem inconsequential to the single user experience.

-snip-

Where on earth did you get those numbers from? I can go from login, to transmute, to arsenal, to navigation in 9 clicks (not counting clicks inside arsenal for changing gear)

Edit: not to mention, this is a video game not a business app

Edited by vaugahn

To be fair, some players don't see the difference.  How is this any different than the "take your time going through a mission vs. spin dashing and ignoring enemies unless you kill them with Orthos Prime" mentality?

To be fair, some players don't see the difference.  How is this any different than the "take your time going through a mission vs. spin dashing and ignoring enemies unless you kill them with Orthos Prime" mentality?

I don't really understand that mentality. That's not why I play video games.

Where on earth did you get those numbers from? I can go from login, to transmute, to arsenal, to navigation in 9 clicks (not counting clicks inside arsenal for changing gear)

LOL show me.  Record a vid of you doing that in 9 clicks.  

14 clicks, minimum, if you only use the esc key once which is still more than a 50% increase, which is still terrible.

LOL show me.  Record a vid of you doing that in 9 clicks.  

14 clicks, minimum, if you only use the esc key once which is still more than a 50% increase, which is still terrible.

I'm not really sure how to record video, so I'll lay out the steps for you.

1. ESC

2. equipment

3. mods

4. transmute (not counting clicks in the transmute menu)

5. quick menu

6. equipment

7. arsenal (not counting clicks in here either)

8. quick menu

9. navigation

I'm not really sure how to record video, so I'll lay out the steps for you.

1. ESC

2. equipment

3. mods

4. transmute (not counting clicks in the transmute menu)

5. quick menu

6. equipment

7. arsenal (not counting clicks in here either)

8. quick menu

9. navigation

You forgot several clicks into your foundry and a couple extra clicks after navigation to start the mission

You forgot several clicks into your foundry and a couple extra clicks after navigation to start the mission

Oh, okay, sure. That's 2 extra clicks for foundry, and 3 for getting into the level. Now, keep in mind there's no way you could do that in the old UI with 9 actions, and with some streamlining of the quick menu about a quarter of those clicks could be cut out.

You guys should also take into account that you can access mods directly from the arsenal when you choose upgrade.

I totally forgot about this. That's two clicks off. Now, it seems to me like you're seeing a problem where one doesn't exist. A better critique of the new UI would be "these menus won't stop wiggling around and my guy is in the way", that's a much more serious problem.

Edited by vaugahn

Oh, okay, sure. That's 2 extra clicks for foundry, and 3 for getting into the level. Now, keep in mind there's no way you could do that in the old UI with 9 actions, and with some streamlining of the quick menu about a quarter of those clicks could be cut out.

I totally forgot about this. That's two clicks off. Now, it seems to me like you're seeing a problem where one doesn't exist. A better critique of the new UI would be "these menus won't stop wiggling around and my guy is in the way", that's a much more serious problem.

Old UI:

1. Arsenal

2. Mods

3. Transmute (Not counting clicks in Transmute menu)

4. Arsenal (Not counting clicks in Arsenal menu)

5. Foundry (Not counting clicks in Foundry)

6. Esc/Exit

7. Planet

8. Node

(Wonder where I got 9 from?)

New UI:

1. Esc

2. Equipment

3. Mods

4. Transmute

5. Quick menu

6. Equipment

7. Arsenal

8. Quick menu

9. Equipment

10. Foundry

11. Quick menu

12. Navigation

13. Planet

14. Node

As for the mods from the upgrade screen, you've always been able to do that, not to mention the root mods menu was in the arsenal screen to begin with.

Edited by Dresden_

You forgot 3 esc presses in there. Comes out to more like 11. Once the quick menu is fixed (Pablo already expressed interest in un-nesting all buttons) the amount of actions will break more or less even. Not that it matters, some people will never be satisfied. Anyways, this issue is purely academic at this point

It’s also important to note that the UI isn’t simply just a means of interacting with the game’s menus, it’s also a tremendously important part of Warframe’s networking between missions, lobbies, and various zones.  As such, we have no way of simple ‘turning off’ the new UI so that players can switch to back to the old.  It’s gone for good, folks.

Edited by vaugahn

You forgot 3 esc presses in there. Comes out to more like 11. Once the quick menu is fixed (Pablo already expressed interest in un-nesting all buttons) the amount of actions will break more or less even. Not that it matters, some people will never be satisfied. Anyways, this issue is purely academic at this point

No I didn't.  The top menu bar was always on top and clickable from any other menu.  You never had to use the Esc button with the exception of getting out of a menu to go into a planet. 

If they unnest the menus, I'll be mostly satisfied.  I do still hate the sway and the dumb choice of having your character block portions of the menu, though.

I'd support having Keyboard shortcuts to directly bring up certain important menus. I've added that to my feedback post on the official UI thread.

At least it would be a temporary solution to the problem that it takes like forever to access some stuff while the regular gameplay demands you to make quick decisions or otherwise people disband the squad because they become impatient.

Edited by MeduSalem