Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Remove Friendship Doors

SquirmyBurrito

Everything you said has been addressed... in the OP.

1. One rusher in a full team of players can't start the extract timer until another player arrives at extraction. You don't have to be present at extraction to get the rewards. And the existence of these doors doesn't stop the rusher from rushing and killing the boss before the other players can catch up.

2. You find pressing one button to open a door fun, cool beans.

3. False. Its effect affects everyone, the issue is that it is often little more than a minor inconvenience unless you're the rusher.

4. The doors are still present in solo. So a player is still forced to run over to the panel, activate it, and wait for the door to open. Basically wasting 1-2 seconds on a mechanic that didn't add anything positive to their experience.

5. Until they get reworked, they're just a mechanic that forces players to pause in their gameplay for a varying amount of time. Some players find this annoying, most will just be indifferent, and then... you find it fun.

6. What? No, this was the point that addressed some of your claims in #1. This is what I meant when I said it was already addressed.

If I am solo, they present me with a unnecessary, unfun (IMO), obsticle that adds nothing positive nor benefits me in anyway.

Playing solo doesn't fix the issue as the doors still exist in solo. And even if DE were to remove the doors in solo, why should one group of players be forced to play solo just because a failure of a mechanic still exists? One that could be stealth removed and would garner zero complaints due to most people only having neutral non-memorable experiences with them.

Yes, I know it was addressed on the main post. 3 paragraphs of mostly things related on how it hinders the rushers.

1. You are talking of a full team to start the timer. I am not completely sure, but with 3 or less I believe just one is necessary. And you are quoting me wrong. I said those who don't manage to get to the extraction on time lose the credit reward. At least that was last time I paid attention to it.

2. Clear.

3. I can hardly see how can it be an inconvenience with the whole (or 2 or more) members present. If anything it is an inconvenience to the FIRST player that gets there, since as soon as the second player gets there, the door can be opened. You can even see a text saying that someone is waiting for you at the door, so probably 5 seconds is the most you will spend on it if the team is with you and ready to continue. If you can't wait that long, then the problem is people's impatience. In that case, then the problem is hardly the doors.

4. 1-2 seconds. What's the problem with it? You are raiding a base or a ship. The game experience is fine. I am not expecting for every door to be open to the general 'grunt'. I am actually surprised the place has not heavier security. Personally, the experience is actually good to me. I think you are still seeing things with a rusher perspective. Some people like to pay attention to little details that add immersion to the game, like those flickering lights on the asteroid base. The doors are one of those little details.

5. Once again, you look at it as a rusher. "Forces players to pause their gameplay"? How does that happen with the team with you?

6. I think my bad english plays a part here. I am not sure what you mean here. I said this point was related to the rushers. Your claim was that a single player would not start the timer (a rusher?). I am not sure what you tried to say with your reply.

It might be an unfun element for you and some others. It is fun and plays part in the immersion for others. Certainly a middle ground could be found on this if necessary. Although, personally, if 1-2 seconds of simply pushing a button on the side of the door is disturbing for you versus an idea of security and a background of the enemy forces on the place that adds immersion to the gameplay; well, I think the middle ground should not be where you are pushing things at.

"why should one group of players be forced to play solo just because a failure of a mechanic still exists?"

Why do you say people would be forced to play solo because of this? Do you even realize what that means? You are pretty much saying that's the best course of action to rushers; to go solo. Something that has been said countless times. Something a lot of people have been pushing for. Something that has been raised lots of complains and threads. And you are basically saying to remove it so rushers can go and disturb people who like to go slow or explore?

I am generally a solo player. I rarely play with people. I like to go to my own pace and explore every room. If for any reason I team with people, I usually stick to someone. After all, I got in there with a team for a reason. Whether be it to help them or to be helped. To help, I stay with them and play as defensively as possible to let the do the work and not steal their sense of progress, I play more as support. If I need help. I chase down those who play better or have better equipment and try to be the less drag as possible. I have no problems with the team doors in any of those cases.

Again, it all boils down to the people who go ahead of the rest and apparently impatient people... Or both.

Yes, I know it was addressed on the main post. 3 paragraphs of mostly things related on how it hinders the rushers.

1. You are talking of a full team to start the timer. I am not completely sure, but with 3 or less I believe just one is necessary. And you are quoting me wrong. I said those who don't manage to get to the extraction on time lose the credit reward. At least that was last time I paid attention to it.

2. Clear.

3. I can hardly see how can it be an inconvenience with the whole (or 2 or more) members present. If anything it is an inconvenience to the FIRST player that gets there, since as soon as the second player gets there, the door can be opened. You can even see a text saying that someone is waiting for you at the door, so probably 5 seconds is the most you will spend on it if the team is with you and ready to continue. If you can't wait that long, then the problem is people's impatience. In that case, then the problem is hardly the doors.

4. 1-2 seconds. What's the problem with it? You are raiding a base or a ship. The game experience is fine. I am not expecting for every door to be open to the general 'grunt'. I am actually surprised the place has not heavier security. Personally, the experience is actually good to me. I think you are still seeing things with a rusher perspective. Some people like to pay attention to little details that add immersion to the game, like those flickering lights on the asteroid base. The doors are one of those little details.

5. Once again, you look at it as a rusher. "Forces players to pause their gameplay"? How does that happen with the team with you?

6. I think my bad english plays a part here. I am not sure what you mean here. I said this point was related to the rushers. Your claim was that a single player would not start the timer (a rusher?). I am not sure what you tried to say with your reply.

It might be an unfun element for you and some others. It is fun and plays part in the immersion for others. Certainly a middle ground could be found on this if necessary. Although, personally, if 1-2 seconds of simply pushing a button on the side of the door is disturbing for you versus an idea of security and a background of the enemy forces on the place that adds immersion to the gameplay; well, I think the middle ground should not be where you are pushing things at.

"why should one group of players be forced to play solo just because a failure of a mechanic still exists?"

Why do you say people would be forced to play solo because of this? Do you even realize what that means? You are pretty much saying that's the best course of action to rushers; to go solo. Something that has been said countless times. Something a lot of people have been pushing for. Something that has been raised lots of complains and threads. And you are basically saying to remove it so rushers can go and disturb people who like to go slow or explore?

I am generally a solo player. I rarely play with people. I like to go to my own pace and explore every room. If for any reason I team with people, I usually stick to someone. After all, I got in there with a team for a reason. Whether be it to help them or to be helped. To help, I stay with them and play as defensively as possible to let the do the work and not steal their sense of progress, I play more as support. If I need help. I chase down those who play better or have better equipment and try to be the less drag as possible. I have no problems with the team doors in any of those cases.

Again, it all boils down to the people who go ahead of the rest and apparently impatient people... Or both.

1. Last I checked, you do not need to be present at extraction to get your reward.

3. It is a minor inconvenience at best (~2 second wait time). Impatience isn't the issue. I would be perfectly fine with waiting if the doors were benefiting me or making the game more interesting/fun/challenging. But they aren't. They're there purely to waste 2+ seconds (it is open ended and depends on how long your teammates take to press the button, if they ever decide to) amounts of my time.

4. Read 3.

5. Are you able to proceed for the 1-2 seconds the door is closed? No, you are not.

6. I am saying that, rusher or not, you are still being forced to wait 1-2 seconds for the door to open. Solo or not. With a full party of teammates that are sticking together or not.

I'm pretty sure you are the first person to say that you found the door itself fun. I'm also not sure how a door that requires you to press a panel to open it (no puzzle or anything) is adding to immersion.

Re-read both my post and the OP. You are clearly not understanding what I typed up.

Many people seem to want to keep them, but they're annoying if you're rushing through a level and your team is slow. A possible way to fix this would be that when activated it would start a timer, and if a second player doesn't reach the area within "x" amount of time it will open anyway. This would solve rushers having to wait an extended amount of time or holding them back if the other player is afk, glitched, ect. but still keep the main purpose.

1. Last I checked, you do not need to be present at extraction to get your reward.

3. It is a minor inconvenience at best (~2 second wait time). Impatience isn't the issue. I would be perfectly fine with waiting if the doors were benefiting me or making the game more interesting/fun/challenging. But they aren't. They're there purely to waste 2+ seconds (it is open ended and depends on how long your teammates take to press the button, if they ever decide to) amounts of my time.

5. Are you able to proceed for the 1-2 seconds the door is closed? No, you are not.

6. I am saying that, rusher or not, you are still being forced to wait 1-2 seconds for the door to open. Solo or not. With a full party of teammates that are sticking together or not.

I'm pretty sure you are the first person to say that you found the door itself fun. I'm also not sure how a door that requires you to press a panel to open it (no puzzle or anything) is adding to immersion.

1. I think it does to a certain degree, but only affects affinity and credit reward. I don't know how much though.

3. Uh, is this what being impatient really is? Because when something isn't benefitting them and they think it's a minor inconvenience for 1-2 (or I don't how many seconds), you're being impatient then.

It won't be considered patience if something is interesting/fun/challenging, it only does when you have to deal with a problem, and in this case the problem is the friendship door.

5. I guess this is more towards impatience then since you don't like waiting 1-2 seconds, just because something doesn't really add anything to the gameplay value.

6. Same as #5.

As for the fun factor, you forgot to mention something about troll logic. But oh well, never mind.

Like you said in the previous thread, you're more into rushing and killing enemies occasionally. So you're talking in rusher perspective then, and it's also kinda related to being impatient. Things are, you won't be really concerned about the door if you're a non-rusher, and this is why some people are being indifferent about it.

Also, please don't claim that it "doesn't benefit everyone". People can be different, and whatever their claims are, be it stupid or ridiculous, some would still benefit from the doors. And I think someone does say immersion because it is related to real-life blast doors, as someone stated in the previous thread.

How about instead of removing the doors entirely, they be set to only show up directly before the mission goal, be it the mobile defense computer, the ship core, the brig, or the boss room?

This allows the doors to still have the intended goal of stopping rushers from completing the goal before the rest of the team, and eliminates the problem of them rushing after the door opens, as the goal is right there.

I don't know how easily that could be implemented, but it would allow for them to serve their purpose more, without feeling like such arbitrary time wasters.

"I say put 4 panels on the doors to require 4 players to open." -- Evil Dev Voice

I like the friendship doors as is. There's a nice padding on the timing so you don't have to press X exactly at the same time, or they'd be more annoying than they appear to be.

My primary complaint is that placement of the panels is sometimes blocked or obscured from view by parts that jut out of the map on grineer tilesets. That's one of the the only things I'd change.

Maybe they can put that on a longer timer so the same person can hit both panels. That way on solo gameplay you have to hit one then the other, and it makes sense to have them there in the first place.

An alternate method would be to have to hack a console to unlock each door instead, with the console appearing where the door locks currently are.

PS. A slight affinity XP amount for bypassing the doors would be a nice way to compensate the minimal effort required to open them, too.

PPS. They also make great spots for AOE attacks prior to opening the door, and kiling everything waiting in ambush on the other side.

Edited by DietEbolaCola

The best reason to get rid of those doors is: afk leechers.

The number of times I've found myself in a mission where others just stand at the entry point... Yeah, can't complete the mission until they arrive; don't want to lose the mods/resources I've found. So get rid of the afk leechers? Not gonna happen. Easier to get rid of the doors. And while we're at it... having half the squad present at extraction doesn't solve afk leechers either. Not when the lone tenno actually running the mission is outnumbered by the ones who aren't. The same is true of the doors.

Saying 'go solo' defeats the point of it being a coop game; play with clan mates? They're not always around or willing to join the same missions. +1 OP.

Just put the dual player doors on a 15 second time delay.

If pushed simultaneously (by two players) then it opens immediately

If pushed separately (by same player/rusher) it implements a security delay of 15 seconds and activates the alarm.

Rusher feels like they might still get through door before chasers arrive

Chasers get some time to close the gap.

This is from the previous thread since it got locked when I was about to post.

Rush mentality and some people's problems with it is not the purpose of this thread. If you wish to discuss rush mentality and your issues with it please create a separate thread.

In the OP the go solo opinion is mentionned so I explained why people were saying that, I only just explained it

another quote but nothing special about it

I never said that my playstyle should have a higher priority, are you even reading my posts?

If you ask for a change justifiying it by how you play then it's what it means.

Back to it now

1. The doors don't work as an anti-rush mechanic.

2. They don't contribute to a positive gameplay experience. 

3. They don't benefit anyone.

I'll say it once again and keep repeating it, this is based on your interpretation.

I'll sum up the things since the logic was all over the place, no relation between the quote and the numbers below.

1) It isn't your concern but one of the complaint about doors is having to wait for other players which goes back to the usual talk about solo play and the rest. (see previous thread)

There's still another problem as long as it is implied that the door's purpose is to stop rushers then you'll have to deal about talks about rushing/non rushing.

Because supposing that the doors were made to stop rushers, then if rushing wasn't "a problem"/people didn't rush then the doors wouldn't exist. If you want to remove the thing that supposedly stop rushers (point 3) you'll have to deal with the consequences.

2) Your complaint about having to go to the panel to open the door/breaking the pace. As I already said nothing much to say, you don't like the door.

For those who don't get it, without rushing issues imagine the difference in game with and without the F doors.

3) The fact that the doors don't serve their purpose is your own interpretation, once again.

So in the end only 2) objectively work as an argument.

5. They can be reworked but until then, they should be removed.

There is a next point concerning this and the above sentence.

I'd like to keep the doors.

Reasons:

1) While little, they require coordinating with your team. Its an important part of the game that way, and should only be replaced if there is something similar occuring at least as often. The doors are like a little nod to the second one of: "Lets go on"

2) They are fun, when you read that somebody needs to have them opened, that rushed through everything standing around, leaving the rest of the team to struggle, and that guy now has to wait a minute or more till you catch up.

3) The doors give control when to open to you. Which might mean that you have ONE safe door around, if you chose to let it be closed. Can be nice sometimes.

4) The inconvenience to a team fighting together or a solo player is practically zero.

Just one or two changes might be nice:

1) People that are afk or dead don't count for the numbers required to open the doors.

2) If there are only two people in the mission, Let the door be opened immediatly with cooperation, or put a delay on it if you try to open it alone. Not strictly necessary, but might be helpful sometimes.

4. Read 3.

Re-read both my post and the OP. You are clearly not understanding what I typed up.

"Re-read both my post and the OP. You are clearly not understanding what I typed up."

Yet: "1. Last I checked, you do not need to be present at extraction to get your reward."

I believe you are the one not reading my posts. Seems like you are just skimming through it to find anything you can use to throw against me. I said you lose all the credit from the end mission (you still get what you picked fro the floor in case that's not clear). Someone else around here confirmed it and it seems that the extra exp is also lost to a certain degree, which I was not aware of. Thanks for that info.

I never said the doors are fun. I said the doors are adding to the immersion. Little details that count. However, as you said, I think that adding something else would make it better. Perhaps making it so each panel is a cypher that must be solved with 10 seconds difference. Hell, that way if rushers want to go and mess with other people's runs, they will need to spend money on the auto solvers and carry them. Seriously, at this point, talking like this, saying this kind of things make it sound like the rushers are nothing more that a new kind of troll. They are not. They are just people who want to finish the mission fast. But the way I have seen these kind of talks is making me slowly take that wrong mentality.

Your reply is only saying that you can't wait 1-2 seconds for the team to open the door. You are just being impatient. Most of your reasons on the reply are just "re-read" and "you don't understand" as well. My english might make my way of saying things odd and probably even give the wrong impressions, but is not as bad as to need to re-read anything or to misunderstand completely everything after 3 posts. To me, all your reasons are your opinions (as well as my reasons are nothing more that just my opinions), but your opinions all seem to revolve around being impatient and that the first person (out of 4 in a full team, mind you) has to wait for the second person to come help; with the wait time proportional mainly to the distance between the first person to arrive and the second player.

I have seen some replies say that the doors hurt because if you get in a team with AFK / leechers, then you are unable to proceed. While this is true, removing the doors for this reason is nothing more than a band-aid for a different problem that I have been lucky enough to not come across with. Probably something like a check for a player that spends x amount to time in the same room or without moving and then make a pop-up for the rest of the team to vote kick it (in case the player said he was going to be back or something alike). However, this is not related to the topic of the doors.

Do not get me wrong, there might be some good reasons to make the doors do away, but the reasons you gave are not those reasons. At least not to me. You are not going to convince me to let rushers and impatient people get what they want just because they like to go to random games or because they can't stand to wait a few seconds; when to me and probably a few other people those doors play a role on something, whether be it people want it to stop the rushers on their missions (even if momentarily), give immersion and a notion of an "alive"  background (there is more going on on the place that random grunts patrolling for no apparent reason), or fun for some (maybe? I don't think, but you suggested it and certainly there might be people, don't know). It also seems I am not going to convince you of anything. We are both with our opinions and neither of us seem to be accepting the other's reasons.

I would also like to apologize in advance. It is not my intention to either be mean or degrade your opinions. They are yours and while I don't agree with them I respect them. If I sounded harsh or the like it is probably due to my bad word choice. It seems it is bad enough to give that wrong impression on various occasions...

They need to figure out something else, imo. The doors are poorly implemented at times and not very effective in general [And it visually shows, with the panels being wedged behind things on occasion and making no sense logistically] but I would like a different mechanic helping encourage team play instead of one man rushing and finishing everything before anyone else gets a chance because they're op as butts. Heck, I got reamed on for saying that before, even people going so far as to saying I should be the one to play solo, when... they're the one ruining the game for 3 other people who aren't rushing. [And if you're planning on whining to me here too, don't waste your time. I'm not even gonna entertain you. Nothing against rushers as a person, until you ruin the game for other people.]

Edited by Gryffinhart

Well, it's totally annoying when there are 2 people on a session and one of them is AFK. I don't understand people complaining about having to wait 15 seconds for the rest of the squad to catch up, but there's DEFINITELY an issue here. I can't come up with a solution either. To be honest I think the doors have absolutely no reason to be there, even though I think it's cool that missions have these elements that change the flow of the game in some way. 

You are not going to convince me to let rushers and impatient people get what they want just because they like to go to random games or because they can't stand to wait a few seconds; 

They get what they want any ways. The door only stops them from doing it as fast as they want to, with as much or little damage as would have happened without the door. That is his point. The door doesn't mitigate the damage from rushers, it only punishes them for getting their first. In essence, it is punishment without purpose or problem solving. And it can be a lot longer than a few seconds. Although the time does not matter, a few seconds of pause with no reason is still not something we should feel is okay in game. They either need to consistently fulfil their purpose, or provide something of unique value like Elevators and Lockdowns do.

They get what they want any ways. The door only stops them from doing it as fast as they want to, with as much or little damage as would have happened without the door. That is his point. The door doesn't mitigate the damage from rushers, it only punishes them for getting their first. In essence, it is punishment without purpose or problem solving. And it can be a lot longer than a few seconds. Although the time does not matter, a few seconds of pause with no reason is still not something we should feel is okay in game. They either need to consistently fulfil their purpose, or provide something of unique value like Elevators and Lockdowns do.

Well, it might not mitigate the damage as you say. Saying it is punishment is like saying that the doors purpose is that related to rushers, which to be honest I am not sure. Maybe they implemented it just to add some extra element into the game but it turned out to have such effect on the game. In any case. The point of punishment is to teach a lesson. If they didn't learn it, they get punishment again. The point still stands that it only bugs rushers and impatient people. It might have any reason for some people, but as I said, other people like it and see it to have a reason. If their purpose is to stop rushers, then I think it is being fulfilled completely and successfully. They are complaining about it, are they not?

Late edit: It bugged my mind my own post. I feel like I should clarify the last statement. When I said people complaining about it, I was not referring to this place in specific. Actually, here they are stating some reasons as opposed as other posts I have seen of just complains about it.

Edited by HellEnforcer

As someone who rushes let me sum up my opinions on them.

-They do not encourage me to slow down

-They are counter-intuitive in Spy & Hive missions(possibly others that splitting up is the best way), which SHOULD encourage splitting up, but lock single players from going to different objectives

-They can be mission-ending if a single afk player joins your mission

I admit I've taken to killing every enemy on the way while I rush ahead to burn some kind of time between doors and elevators, but I'm still usually well ahead of my team.

Edited by Rhimrifer

New idea: make the friendship doors destructible. Then anyone trapped by afkers can simply blast the door; rushers who leave their team mates will be slowed by blasting the door. Destroying the door will cause a noise, and no doubt trigger the alarms.

I doubt anyone'll like this idea, but it's a solution (of sorts).