The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Oberon Hated?

(PSN)bytemycookies

People told me he is terrible, and that he would choke in the void. well I don't even have him forma'd yet and i desecrate the void.  

I use his reckoning and it blows up all the lower enemies and knocks down the larger ones. at that time I reckon again to kill them or shoot them in the face.

what about him makes him choke in the void? I don't use his renewal or hollowed ground. his smite is good if you spam it. at like 5-10 energy(fleeting expertise & streamline) even that isn't a bad choice.

Edited by (PS4)bytemycookies

I think his point was, is he sees nothing wrong with Oberon, and wonders why people complain about him.

yeah, he is perfect to me. i do think that his hollowed ground should have some stasis effect. like slow or stun. but to beable to clear huge waves in seconds with reckoning and squash groups with smite i find him very useful. ive even had people in the void say "damn, who is that?"

His abilities are very bad compared to the abilities of other frames. Renewal and Hallowed Ground are both incredibly ineffective, Smite is generally considered not worth using, and Reckoning does not do very much damage and does not provide very good CC. 

The reason why most people hate him is because most Oberon players run around continuously spamming reckoning, which is really annoying and messes with people's framerates.

"Hate" is a strong word... "Under Appreciated" is a much better word for it. 

Edit: That Being said of why he's being under appreciated is that his 3 skills are not great or do not help him in situation (Ex: Smite & Hallowed Ground)  or as a support (Ex: Renewal) warframe.

Edited by genthis

If you pile on enough high-end mods, forma, and reactors anything starts looking good.

The problem is acquiring said items to begin with, and until Oberon's balance pass comes through other frames start off better due to their base stats and powers and so wind up further ahead on the curve for such an investment. So unless the buffs to Oberon are quite impressive, it will mostly be those who enjoy his abilities that are using him.

Which is not a bad thing, to be clear; I personally didn't enjoy playing Oberon, but I did want those mastery points. I'd prefer to see people using the weapons and frames they enjoy rather than playing MathFrame and only using the very best gear according to the current meta. As long as you're contributing positively to the squad (which support frames like Oberon, Trinity, and Nekros will do differently to assault frames like Nova) then it's all good.

Oberon

Renewal->Righteous Indignation

-Heals and Provides a buff to damage equal to the percentage of health missing.

or

Renewal->Revolution

-Heals and Provides Super Armor

Hallowed Ground->Hallowed Ground

-The longer an enemy remains, the more damage is dealt to them. Entire area does blast damage with 20% status chance whenever an enemy dies within the area.

or

Hallowed Ground->Clouded Heart

-An expanding fog originates from the target enemy. Radioactive status effects all enemies within fog. A status inflicted on any enemy within the fog effects every enemy within the fog. Target enemy cannot move or be killed until the fog stops expanding.    

Reckoning->Vision of Paradise

-Enemies seen by oberon are petrified, have reduced armor, and receive damage. The longer oberon looks at a particular enemy, the more damage they receive. Enemies killed drop health orbs.  

or

Reckoning->Celestial Forest

-Enemies treat all damage as the damage type they're weakest to. Orbs of light appear and deal damage to nearby enemies. Orbs become incorporeal trees after dealing a certain amount damage. Trees produce health orbs(fruit) as they do damage. Trees evolve up to three times. Each time they evolve, they do more damage, their duration is extended, and more fruit is produced. Orbs that deal damage at least one become health orbs. The final tree heals nearby players.

Copy/Paste

Oberon could be awesome.

Not all of the Void content is difficult.  It's pretty much the endless missions where he fails, and that's where many players go to find challenge.  

Reckoning does fine for a while, and then suddenly its damage fails entirely as enemies grow more powerful.  It won't manage to kill anything... not even the regular mooks.  Same for HG.  And what can Oberon do when his Reckoning and Hallowed Ground don't deal adequate damage?  Practically nothing.  Renewal doesn't heal enough to keep a teammate alive even if they're only under fire from a single Corrupted Lancer.  The best thing he has going for him is the CC from Reckoning, which is so short you'll have to spam it for a noteworthy effect, and it costs at least 25 energy per cast which simply isn't sustainable.

So Oberon is largely dismissed because he doesn't scale well.

No one plays him because anything he can do another frame can do better, hes unique in no aspect ability-wise and he just simply underperforms in every aspect despite having a variety of uses. Anything can perform decently with forma and potatoes but he just isn't worth having on any mission right now. He had some decent utility when his renewal used to revive you but they decided to get rid of the only thing that Oberon had going for him.

Edited by Zulaica

Guest XrekkeGtavun

I'd like to see more of Oberon becoming a holy knight of sorts.

Something like a zone-creating caster that buffs/debuffs enemies.

I think something like this would be amazing:

Absolution:

Oberon channels to create a zone of holy protection that drains energy per second to shove enemies away and deflect projectiles. Allies who are inside the zone are healed per second.

He would be a mobile safety zone. I can see this as extremely useful in prolonged survival missions for well-coordinated teams.

imo, after using Oberon for the past 4-5 days.....the only ability i fine useless is Hallowed Ground due to its short, direct-in-front-of-player, path. I would see it more as a circular aoe where i target instead. Otherwise, Reck and renew are absolutely good. I cant remember how, any times I've saved myself or a teammate using renewal.....or taken out a large amt of enemies using Reck or smite. These are obviously ranked up....but from unranked they do sort of suck lol.

Edited by xcynderx

People told me he is terrible, and that he would choke in the void. well I don't even have him forma'd yet and i desecrate the void.  

I use his reckoning and it blows up all the lower enemies and knocks down the larger ones. at that time I reckon again to kill them or shoot them in the face.

what about him makes him choke in the void? I don't use his renewal or hollowed ground. his smite is good if you spam it. at like 5-10 energy(fleeting expertise & streamline) even that isn't a bad choice.

There are no bad frames or weapons if YOU enjoy using them...and enough forma.

Not all of the Void content is difficult.  It's pretty much the endless missions where he fails, and that's where many players go to find challenge.  

Reckoning does fine for a while, and then suddenly its damage fails entirely as enemies grow more powerful.  It won't manage to kill anything... not even the regular mooks.  Same for HG.  And what can Oberon do when his Reckoning and Hallowed Ground don't deal adequate damage?  Practically nothing.  Renewal doesn't heal enough to keep a teammate alive even if they're only under fire from a single Corrupted Lancer.  The best thing he has going for him is the CC from Reckoning, which is so short you'll have to spam it for a noteworthy effect, and it costs at least 25 energy per cast which simply isn't sustainable.

So Oberon is largely dismissed because he doesn't scale well.

thats what i was worried about but i have blind rage to 5 points and maxed 30% strength mod and i was able to make it to wave 20+ on t3 and my dunks were still once shotting the lowers minions. 

reckoning cc isnt that bad imo. they're down long enough for me avoid being overwhelmed. 

Renewal with intensify makes you a vampire, and Reckoning with Intensify kills stuff left and right. I enjoyed my time with Oberon and saw nothing wrong with him.

Blessing and even well of life outperforms Renewal with intesify without any mods. I highly doubt Reckoning with intensify kills anything in "high lvl" defence and  survival after 15+ minutes(maybe grineer cuz radiation dmg does extra against them). It is just as others allready said, he is not horrible per say, it is just that anything what he can do can be done better almost with any other frame.

Blessing and even well of life outperforms Renewal with intesify without any mods. I highly doubt Reckoning with intensify kills anything in "high lvl" defence and  survival after 15+ minutes(maybe grineer cuz radiation dmg does extra against them). It is just as others allready said, he is not horrible per say, it is just that anything what he can do can be done better almost with any other frame.

i might have over exaggerated about the +20. i'm trying to remember how far i got. 

in retrospect i can agree that 1-3 are really underwhelming. thanks for clarification and thanks for letting me know about the upcoming rework. 

as far as looks and reckoning go i am happy. if i can get some cc on hollowed ground and maybe a nova like-pop effect on his smite rather than the missiles that seem to miss everything after 10 feet ill be happy. 

i might have over exaggerated about the +20. i'm trying to remember how far i got. 

in retrospect i can agree that 1-3 are really underwhelming. thanks for clarification and thanks for letting me know about the upcoming rework. 

as far as looks and reckoning go i am happy. if i can get some cc on hollowed ground and maybe a nova like-pop effect on his smite rather than the missiles that seem to miss everything after 10 feet ill be happy. 

Hopefully the rework will change reckoning entirely. It's all kinds of annoying to be in a game with a reckoning spammer.