Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Allies Blocking Shots

ManFromMars

I like the fact that the game does not have friendly fire. Friendly fire would not fit well with a co-op game like this that seems to be going for a fairly fast pace rather than being extremely realistic.  That being said, would it be possible to allow our fire to pass through allies rather than simply being absorbed by them?  Team Fortress 2 is a good example of a game that does this.  In much the same way that players can walk through each other so that we don't have to worry about tripping each other up this would be very helpful for not causing frustration between people using their guns and people going for melee kills.  I have had a lot of issues with my shots being blocked by teammates charging into melee, or simply stepping in front of me as I fired so that they could get a clear shot. 

This is made worse by the fact that shots often seem to be blocked even when the crosshairs are unobstructed, though some of that may be caused by the third person camera as opposed to a first person viewpoint.  But after doing some testing with a friend when no enemies were around it is clear that the actual hitbox around a player, at least for friendly fire, is far bigger than their character model. This makes it extremely hard to tell whether you actually have a clear shot or not.  Simply fixing this aspect would be very helpful, and if this would make the game easier by making your hitbox smaller to enemy fire as well, you could compensate by increasing the enemy accuracy a bit.

I actually enjoy the challenge of having to avoid my friendlies and repositioning to take only clean shots. In fact, I would request that if all members have some Friendly Fire flag enabled that FF be turned on for the match. But I agree that the hitbox for player-blocked shots needs to be more clearly defined by their model.

If I'm engaging an enemy and not running or strafing, I'm crouching so friendlies behind can shoot over me. This works on most everything except for dogs and crawlers. Freaking dogs.

Edited by IronSight

I've actually had a paris shot blocked by an ally's sentinel once. That was a sad day.

They could, as I've mentioned before for screen shaking, incorporate this stuff into higher difficulties. Have 'normal' be no shaking, no blocking, etc. and have harder difficulties include more of those elements for more organized team play. Though adjusting hit boxes would be nice.

Edited by Dancingfirefly

So far I have really enjoyed playing the sniper. Let the party handle the swarm in front, I'm picking off the guys in the distance that are taking potshots at the party. However it can get quite frustrating in corridors.

As a 'fix' for this problem, may I suggest adding more waist-height boxes around the levels so that snipers have something they can stand on to shoot over the party?

huh????? am i the only one having issues understanding this one? translation?

He says:

I understand your frustration, friend.

Occasionally, to my great dismay, my team mates will ruin my bow shots by running in front of me.

Narrow hallways seem to further exacerbate the situation.

Coming from playing in a group of friends that communicate (typically with one having a Snipetron or Paris), actually keeping in mind at all times that there's people behind you trying to shoot things in the head is easier said than done. Especially when what you want to do is rush in and be a balls-out ninja.

The back of my head has absorbed many spot-on arrows and sniper rounds into oblivion.

That said though... It'd actually help a lot (in our group anyhow) if the Snipetron/Paris had a laser while drawing back/zooming in.

It might be possible, but considering the effects that have developed from their designs for bullet collision and bolt collision, it seems they might have to rebuild the game to get this issue to work.

What I would just prefer rather then getting the game changed is getting the players to stop being such idiots that they run in front of people all the time.  I can understand when someone is moving in to melee something, but at least once every other mission with other people, someone will run in front of me to start shooting at something that they could have shot from where they were before they started moving.

In the largest rooms it is extremely easy to spread out and handle anything, but apparently standing in front of another player is the only place available to most of these people.  Either they are intentionally running in front of people and trying to block shots, or they are just that clueless about what they are doing.

Letting us shoot through teammates would help a lot, especially in public games. It is a chore to try to use my Latron when someone runs through me and blocks my shots as soon as I stop to aim.

This seems like something that is reasonable to request, since DE has already done a lot to prevent griefing, intentional or otherwise. We can walk through each other, everyone gets to pick up mods, health/energy/affinity orbs, and ammo, and the shared experience keeps it from being frustrating when someone else finishes off a heavy that you took down to 1hp by yourself. You can tell that DE set out to make a Co-Op game from all of this, and letting us shoot through each other would contribute cooperative play, especially between uncoordinated groups. As it is, public games often seem to consist of four independent Banzai charges. Once two or three people have started charging, you don't really have much choice except to join them in many circumstances, since they are blocking all of the shots. I believe that letting us shoot through each other would lead to more varied and interesting gameplay in public games, and that more people would play longer with there being more feasible tactics.

At the very least, decreasing the size of our hitboxes to be the size of our character models would go a long way. It is quite frustrating when I try to shoot something tall in the face with my Latron, but the shots are blocked by the air above my friend's head.

Guys!!!!! the Penetration mod already fixes your problem!!!!!!!!

Ten upgrade points is a hell of a lot just to make it tolerable to play in public games where people dive in front of you as soon as you stop to take aim. That's a third of max mod capacity on a weapon that isn't supercharged. And in any event, it won't help you use that shiny new Latron or Snipertron that you just spent 50,000 credits on and that is level zero. By the time that you have leveled it up to ten, you might have decided that it isn't worth trying to use. This also creates a substantial disincentive to medium/long range play, since the people who are charging could have other, more useful mods on their guns, and will therefore kill everything faster than you.

yo bruh i feel dat 

somtimes i be linin up my paris n my team runs straight in my path n im lik daym

hella worse in those tiny corridors 2

I feel you man that crap is too annoying, half the reason why I dont use my Paris anymore

It might be possible, but considering the effects that have developed from their designs for bullet collision and bolt collision, it seems they might have to rebuild the game to get this issue to work.

What I would just prefer rather then getting the game changed is getting the players to stop being such idiots that they run in front of people all the time.  I can understand when someone is moving in to melee something, but at least once every other mission with other people, someone will run in front of me to start shooting at something that they could have shot from where they were before they started moving.

In the largest rooms it is extremely easy to spread out and handle anything, but apparently standing in front of another player is the only place available to most of these people.  Either they are intentionally running in front of people and trying to block shots, or they are just that clueless about what they are doing.

This also annoys the Hell outta me. people moving in front of me happened so much while i was using my Paris that i thought people were doing it on purpose. It doesnt happen as much when im using my other guns.

I understand the problem with this. Under the pretense of a PUG it is quite a reasonable request but trying to keep the game challenging and co-op oriented is a question. I personally like how it stands. With proper teamwork a tenno cell can still rip apart enemies with ease. I guess, in a way I am promoting friendlists/clans/guilds. You know, people you work well with and each of you compliment each others' play styles.

I understand the problem with this. Under the pretense of a PUG it is quite a reasonable request but trying to keep the game challenging and co-op oriented is a question. I personally like how it stands. With proper teamwork a tenno cell can still rip apart enemies with ease. I guess, in a way I am promoting friendlists/clans/guilds. You know, people you work well with and each of you compliment each others' play styles.

I understand your sentiment, as it is quite easy (maybe a bit too easy) for and experinced squad to cut all enemies to shreds. However, I think that game mechanics which would tend drive experineced players into private games are a bad idea. New players learn things from watching the experienced, and in a co-op game, we are all better off as people learn better ways to play.