Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blackout: Nightmare Infested Mode! Light Is Your Most Valuable Asset!

(PSN)Shadow_Of_Hunhow

Think about this,

You enter a nightmare Infested node, thinking it's just a normal mission that's a little harder than usual. But once you enter, it's almost pitch black, with nothing but the glow of your weapons to light your way. To get a feel for where you are, you fire off a couple rounds from your rifle, only to see you're in the middle of a room filled with infested who, until you just shot, had no idea you were there! You start to hear the groans and gurgles of them becoming alert and aware of your presence.

Realizing they can see about as well as you in this map, you pull out your melee weapon and try to kill them silently while they are still looking for you. You channel your weapon to get as much damage as possible so you make absolutely sure that you kill them, only for the glow you throw off to cause every infested for 5 meters to see you light up like a giant glowing steak!

You freak out and grab your primary and fire into the masses, inadvertently allowing every enemy in the area top know you're there! The numbers you're up against keep growing, as does their strength! After a minute you realize that blindly tearing them apart with a Boltor Prime is just making more come and return to melee and finish them off, noticing that as soon that the numbers dwindle to nothing. Low on HP and ammo, you proceed to finish the mission carefully and quietly dispatching any wandering enemies. By the time you get to extraction, your heart is pounding and your HP is nearly on E, but you breath a sigh of relief as you enter your Liset and leave hell behind... For now.

This is my idea for infested nightmare modes, it's a true, heart pounding challenge that could shake even the most veteran players!

The name, as told in the title, is called Blackout.

Blind as a bat! At default, you have about 3 meters of visibility. Having energy weapons increase this by .5, while channeling adds 2.5 meters. Weapons like the Gram, Serro, and the Ether series give an extra meter, and finally, the Daman Prime sugatra gives an extra .5.

Enemies have about a meter visibility, so it's smart to keep a little distance!

Sounds travel well in the dark! Enemies can hear gun fire about 15 meters away, and of course goes down with noise reduction mods. Bows and the like are still silent, but give off a .25 meter glow,.5 with the Dread.

The madness never ends! Enemies who are on full alert will summon more to their aid! The summoned cannot summon more until they have been in visual range for 20 seconds, or 10 seconds if their original summoners have died. This is limited to 3 summons at a time to prevent crashing. However, they will not stop spawning until either they are all dead, or until the enemies are dispatched more silently. This prevents to many from showing at the same time, and ensures an end if you kill them fast enough. It also makes it so guns are still viable, albeit less effective.

Their anger makes them stronger! Each time a wave is summoned, their level grows by 2, once the level has doubled, the level increase changes to 4, and so on. The level they end on is reset if they become unaltered again to prevent the level from becoming too hard to complete.

What do you guys think so far? Most of this came together as I was typing it, and will be subject to change based on feedback!

Edited by (PS4)SCP-100912

I like the idea of having a blackout as a challenge.  However, if you're glowing in the dark, every enemy should see you, notice you, and come right at you.  This game also features flashlights already, so that might want to be given some consideration.

This idea also only seems to touch on infested missions.  What about Grineer and/or Corpus?

I like the idea of having a blackout as a challenge.  However, if you're glowing in the dark, every enemy should see you, notice you, and come right at you.  This game also features flashlights already, so that might want to be given some consideration.

This idea also only seems to touch on infested missions.  What about Grineer and/or Corpus?

The visibility thing is so that you can see somewhat without seeing off every enemy in an instant.

As for other factions, it could work, but this is mostly geared for infested, to give them a more horror oriented mode for those who like that. That and I wanted to give the infested a special nightmare mode.

Actually, for Grineer and Corpus it could work, they could have their own flashlights, and you use a form of night vision from your frame. Could make stealth play a better idea. Though I would rather they do this with a rework of Stealth as a whole, it does sorta need it.

• 3 weeks later...

<----- I approve.

For feedback, I don't think specific weapons or accessories should increase visibility simply because of the way the game works - it gives some people an advantage over another without a disadvantage. I'm not saying you should take it out - that's up to you - but I'm not a fan of it.

Other than that, I like it. A stealth-based mission using the low visibility as an ally or enemy - very ninja-esque. Maybe this could either be part of an Infested vs. Grineer invasion or an actual mission type for all factions (after a power generator has been knocked out or something). I don't know. I like the way you've done it, I'm just pulling ideas from the air.