Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pointless Swapping

Llyssa

Something that has been bothering me a bit lately:

If you have your primary weapon equipped, and you quick attack, as long as you're attacking, you keep your melee weapon out. When you stop, you swap back to your primary.

If you actually do a weapon swap to equip your melee, you put away your primary weapon, and pull out your melee. This makes sense.

However, if you're quick attacking, with your primary weapon equipped, and you weapon swap to equip your melee, you finish attacking with your melee weapon, put away your melee weapon, swap to your primary weapon, put away your primary weapon, and swap back to your melee weapon.

This really doesn't make any sense(why do I have to pull out a weapon merely to put it away again?), and produces some seriously lethal stand still while your warframe sits there shuffling inventory for no apparent reason.

It would make sense if, when you're already holding your melee weapon, and you swap to equip your melee weapon, you just keep holding it.

This problem doesn't exist with the scanner, merely primary(and secondary) weapons.

Imagine using a heavy melee like a scindo....aim while holding a heavy sword, srzly?

Hes not talking about holding them at the same time. What he is saying is that if he melees an enemy and immediately switched to melee he doesnt want to sheathe his melee and bring out the primary only to put the primary away and unsheathe his melee again. He just wants it to stay out rather than doing that complex process.

Another thing to add the list of feats expertly trained space ninjas should be capable of  accomplishing but don't because logic. On a similar vein, does anyone else wonder why we have to through the process of 'equipping' weapons such as the obex or kogake despite them being attached to our hands and feet?

It would make sense if, when you're already holding your melee weapon, and you swap to equip your melee weapon, you just keep holding it.

This problem doesn't exist with the scanner, merely primary(and secondary) weapons.

I could agree to this. I mean, long as we can quickly hit the "put away melee button" when we're finished melee'ing I see no downside and only positives from this change. Hopefully a dev sees this because I'm sure it's a simple change they could agree with.

Side note: Anyone know if speed holster speeds this up? Should it speed this up technically? 

Edit:

Okay, I realized a downside but perhaps it should be changed anyway. Sometimes the weapon's quick melee attack animation is vastly quicker than when you enter the full blown stance animation.

Edited by Quizel

Hes not talking about holding them at the same time. What he is saying is that if he melees an enemy and immediately switched to melee he doesnt want to sheathe his melee and bring out the primary only to put the primary away and unsheathe his melee again. He just wants it to stay out rather than doing that complex process.

Ah..... well. then it makes alot more sense.

Oh, I get it, when we use quick melee it automatically draws the melee weapon and holsters our gun

but when we stop quick meleeing it sheaths our melee weapon and pulls out the current gun again

so why is it that whenever we try to switch to our melee weapon it takes forever? or our secondary for that matter.

You have a valid point... a very good valid point.

Add my voice to this. I don't like the default "F" key being used to swap from primary to secondary with a tap, and then have to long press it to pull out melee for channeling.  If I'm in the unfortunate situation of running out of ammo, I ALWAYS every time always press the "F" key for the wrong length of time and end up cycling through my weapons too many times...instead of ending up with my melee out like I want.  

I know I can keybind differently, but having "E" for quick melee is totally undermining the concept behind melee 2.0 I think.  If you press "E", the melee should just STAY OUT, until you choose either a primary or secondary weapon to pull out.  I'm comfortable loosing the makes-no-sense-uber-fast-like-karate-kid-stuff whipping out of the melee weapon in order to have this simplified.

TL;DR:  Make "E" the default melee weapon draw key, and make "F" the default Primary weapon draw and pistol toggle - but if melee is out, "F" should default to primary weapon draw.  Maybe take half the time between the current slow-as-tree-sap-in-winter melee draw and the too-fast-it-makes-no-sense "quick melee" and make that the new melee draw speed, activated by pressing "E".

Add my voice to this. I don't like the default "F" key being used to swap from primary to secondary with a tap, and then have to long press it to pull out melee for channeling.  If I'm in the unfortunate situation of running out of ammo, I ALWAYS every time always press the "F" key for the wrong length of time and end up cycling through my weapons too many times...instead of ending up with my melee out like I want.  

I know I can keybind differently, but having "E" for quick melee is totally undermining the concept behind melee 2.0 I think.  If you press "E", the melee should just STAY OUT, until you choose either a primary or secondary weapon to pull out.  I'm comfortable loosing the makes-no-sense-uber-fast-like-karate-kid-stuff whipping out of the melee weapon in order to have this simplified.

TL;DR:  Make "E" the default melee weapon draw key, and make "F" the default Primary weapon draw and pistol toggle - but if melee is out, "F" should default to primary weapon draw.  Maybe take half the time between the current slow-as-tree-sap-in-winter melee draw and the too-fast-it-makes-no-sense "quick melee" and make that the new melee draw speed, activated by pressing "E".

As you noted, you can actually get quite specific with your keybindings, so, go on, have a blast. You can make your keyboard do this.

However, personally, I despise your idea. I don't want it, I don't like it, and it doesn't address the issue at all, while creating a new one.

As you noted, you can actually get quite specific with your keybindings, so, go on, have a blast. You can make your keyboard do this.

However, personally, I despise your idea. I don't want it, I don't like it, and it doesn't address the issue at all, while creating a new one.

The issue is that after using your melee for a quick-melee strike, the weapon doesn't STAY OUT. How exactly does my idea NOT address that?

The issue is that after using your melee for a quick-melee strike, the weapon doesn't STAY OUT. How exactly does my idea NOT address that?

There's at least 4 stances I, under NO circumstances, want to engage. Ever. At all. They're horrible.

Further, equipping your thrown(glaive, glaive prime, or kestral) makes it impossible to throw it *without* the stance equipped. You have to have it in quick attack mode to throw it.

Forcing us into equipping a weapon every time we quick attack with it forces the horrid stances on us(meaning we can't use them for what bonuses they give), and blocks us from throwing our throwns(glaive is pretty awful as a hand held, sorry to say).

There's also plenty of times where I legitimately want to have a quick attack and then be back to my weapon(for example, KDing a group with a slam attack, followed by amprexing them to death as they stand).

Your idea eliminates all of the above, and in exchange, gives me what I could do if I just click my "equip melee" button, which I actually have bound already. So, it's 100% loss, for a minor-league almost-convenience.

EDIT: The problem isn't that I have any issues equipping my melee weapon(I don't), it's that if I decide I need more than just a quick attack, I'm a sitting duck for up to 6 seconds while my warframe does this weird little hand shuffle that ends with me back where I started.

Edited by Llyssa

Something that has been bothering me a bit lately:

If you have your primary weapon equipped, and you quick attack, as long as you're attacking, you keep your melee weapon out. When you stop, you swap back to your primary.

If you actually do a weapon swap to equip your melee, you put away your primary weapon, and pull out your melee. This makes sense.

However, if you're quick attacking, with your primary weapon equipped, and you weapon swap to equip your melee, you finish attacking with your melee weapon, put away your melee weapon, swap to your primary weapon, put away yourmelee weapon, and swap back to your melee weapon.

This really doesn't make any sense(why do I have to pull out a weapon merely to put it away again?), and produces some seriously lethal stand still while your warframe sits there shuffling inventory for no apparent reason.

+1 same problem me self i was thinking just dumping the melee weapon and just useing side arm's and  primary weapon in game 

There's at least 4 stances I, under NO circumstances, want to engage. Ever. At all. They're horrible.

Further, equipping your thrown(glaive, glaive prime, or kestral) makes it impossible to throw it *without* the stance equipped. You have to have it in quick attack mode to throw it.

Forcing us into equipping a weapon every time we quick attack with it forces the horrid stances on us(meaning we can't use them for what bonuses they give), and blocks us from throwing our throwns(glaive is pretty awful as a hand held, sorry to say).

There's also plenty of times where I legitimately want to have a quick attack and then be back to my weapon(for example, KDing a group with a slam attack, followed by amprexing them to death as they stand).

Your idea eliminates all of the above, and in exchange, gives me what I could do if I just click my "equip melee" button, which I actually have bound already. So, it's 100% loss, for a minor-league almost-convenience.

EDIT: The problem isn't that I have any issues equipping my melee weapon(I don't), it's that if I decide I need more than just a quick attack, I'm a sitting duck for up to 6 seconds while my warframe does this weird little hand shuffle that ends with me back where I started.

Well, you're describing some unrelated shortcomings of the system that will hopefully be worked out in due time.  Just because the current mechanics allow some things which make no sense and may not be working quite as intended doesn't mean they should stay in the game or be considered when looking to improve the way a feature works.

However, if you re-read my idea, I'm suggesting eliminating the "juggle animation" by just having the quick attack keep the weapon out, and making the switch back to primary weapon much faster (though it would require your input to swap back).  It's a trade off where you lose the automatic re-drawing of the primary weapon, but in exchange the animation could be sped up some (if DE even considered the idea worth implementing)

Well, you're describing some unrelated shortcomings of the system that will hopefully be worked out in due time.  Just because the current mechanics allow some things which make no sense and may not be working quite as intended doesn't mean they should stay in the game or be considered when looking to improve the way a feature works.

However, if you re-read my idea, I'm suggesting eliminating the "juggle animation" by just having the quick attack keep the weapon out, and making the switch back to primary weapon much faster (though it would require your input to swap back).  It's a trade off where you lose the automatic re-drawing of the primary weapon, but in exchange the animation could be sped up some (if DE even considered the idea worth implementing)

No, I got that, I'm saying, "I actually like and find useful the automatic re-drawing of the primary weapon in most circumstances".

It's this particular circumstance where it isn't good.