Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Despair Build

Eldnacpeek

Question

So, I've been a Despair user for a while, but I've never actually felt the need to use it full on. I particularly use Hikou with a maxed Gunslinger/Lethal Torrent to unleash an entire barrage of shurikens in an attosecond, but I rarely use secondaries as I usually just use a primary without losing ammo. Until now, I barely used Despair. I gave it a basic build of "Radiation for grineer, magnetic for corpus, ammo max increased, they'll do just fine.". I just want to see any of the community's build as to what would be the most effective (not "best") build for it. Share any suggestions, because I want these things to shred, not tickle. :)

P.S I mean ANY build, potato'd obviously, and if you Forma'd, also state that.

Edited by LazerSkink

5 answers to this question

I'm curious as to why you used the Hikou, to me, it seems that it's less bang for your buck and doesn't even come close to scratching the damage the Despair.

In terms of a build, I guess for Grineer you would go Radiation and Toxin? It seems to be the most logical one for an all round build. Toxin for the heavy gunners and regular lance men. I'm not too entirely sure how to build for Grineer.

Now, for Corpus I would suggest Magnetic and possibly Toxin, Magnetic for cutting down shields and Toxin for dealing with the corpus grunts.

For Infested I would definitely go Corrosive and Heat, this will cover the most bases, Corrosive for the ancients and Heat for the regular infested grunts.

For Corrupted the best elements would be Corrosive and Cold, Corrosive for the ancients and Heavy Gunners, Cold for taking down shields.

Now in terms of the mods you would use the usual, hornet strike + Barrel diffusion + Lethal Torrent + Gunslinger, I would then suggest that you maximize the elemental damages as much as possible. Your attack speed is already on roids with Lethal Torrent and Gunslinger, so afterwards you want to max out elemental damage, since the Despair is not a crit weapon and relies on it's high base damage to plow through things.

That's basically my consensus for the most effective build.

As far as I can tell, you would build the Despair the same as the Hikou (and Kunai).

Try this on for size: http://goo.gl/T1m8Lv

Are the bane mods really that good? I don't tend to use them as they seem too specific to certain factions and I'd much rather mod for extra elemental damage.

Also, why pistol ammo mutation? Wouldn't it be better to alternate between primary and secondaries to conserve ammo? Thus, giving it more damage rather than decreasing it's damage by adding a utility mod.

Grineer: http://goo.gl/akFK9c

For Void and Anti-Ancient Infested, drop Heated Charge and Expel for 120% more Corrosive.

(Edit: Technically for Infested Expel and 60% Corrosive, but basic setups only allow three preset builds so I tend to use the Void build for Infested).

For Corpus, swap Expel to Corpus version and swap Heated Charge for Pistol Pestilence. Rearrange to make Mag/Toxin.

Yes, Bane mods are that good. When you've already got 180% Corrosive 90% Fire, that Bane mod is worth 30% Base, 54% Corrosive, and 27% Fire, a total of 111% as compared to an added elemental.

As you said, I wouldn't use Ammo Mut, rather just swap to another weapon for a bit when running low. The extra 8 shots from Ice Storm is pretty damn nice, but could be dropped on many builds (Not Grineer/Corpus, need that Viral/Mag) for reload speed or RoF or w/e you want.

Edited by Darzk