Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Need Help From Any Other Dms Out There

aldlv13

ok i have been dming a campaign for a couple months now and the party is coming up on a big multistage boss fight i need help on one of the stages.

the bosses name is the Blood Red Rose

stage 1 - just a simple boss vs party instance should be cake. at the end of this stage she cast an ability similar to tsukuyomi and drops the party into an altered reality

stage 2 - the party is dropped onto a pirate ship in the middle of a stormy sea. rose is at the helm and a pirate crew that revives 5 rounds after going down stands between the party and her. after they manage to get to her and do some damage she uses the tsukuyomi type ability again

stage 3 this is the stage i need help with i dont really have any great ideas what to do for this part but i want to have this stage

final stage - the party is dropped into a garden of black roses and the only enemy they can see is rose. however the roses in the garden will constantly attack and try to hold down the party making it hard for them to actually fight rose.\

during each stage her hp refills and she gets a couple new attacks. so was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for stage 3 thanks

wow, a reality altering is very powerful,  creativity wise, i don´t know how 2d your maps are, maybe add a little 3d movement, being an alternate reality you´re probably free of regular physics, a simple idea you can use as a base, the third warp in reality is the wreckage of the ship, have them fight in floating pieces of the ship with parts for jumping or swimming with a rough sea, or go completely underwater change the enemies into sea creatures and have them drown unless they realize (with a DC) that it is not real.

I need a lot more information in order to help you out...

What characters are players playing as?

What types of magic are available in your world?

Can this boss be killed before casting this reality thing?

Where is your boss from?

Where is she getting this power?

What is the bosses weakness/weak spots?

Where are these realities relative to your normal world?

Edited by Archistopheles

Hard without character background and ruleset employed...

Sea becomes blood-red. Stormy wind. Ship becomes difficult terrain while no one is at the helm (meaning that a player character has to take over for Rose while the party fights her; mayhap have that character be lowest priority for attacks, so the party can cycle chars in need to recuperate).

While no one is at the helm, the ship will continue to break apart bit by bit on each round, introducing environmental hazards like holes in the floor, scattering debris and loose ropes, etc. .

Rose would leave the helm once attacked and not return while threatened by an enemy. She would be able to ignore the difficult terrain, but need to take care about the environmental hazards (so that players can manoeuvre her towards detrimental positions).

Players who fall into the sea would bleed HP over to Rose until recovered, despite the sea they would not be forced away from the ship, but all normal difficulties arising from the weather would apply to climbing back onto the ship.

To accentuate the teleport ability, mayhap this ship should differ in design while sharing the layout of the former ship (blood vessels or rose twines replace the rigging, etc.).

To pronounce the final stage, the scenery should be as idyllic as possible at first, to provide a sharp contrast to the violent environment of its predecessor. Savagery of that final stage might increase as the fight progresses, to reach a similar level to the end of the third stage (though of course fitted to the different setting).

Or mayhap this does not work for you at all, hè.

I need a lot more information in order to help you out...

What characters are players playing as?

What types of magic are available in your world?

Can this boss be killed before casting this reality thing?

Where is your boss from?

Where is she getting this power?

What is the bosses weakness/weak spots?

Where are these realities relative to your normal world?

ok my party currently consists of

a sorcer speced primarily in evocation

a dual wielding magus who is for some reason the tank

and a fighter carrying a cursed sword (he is about to leave the party because of that curse and not by his choice)

and maybe a barbarian id he makes it on any given session day

any standard magic is available and this part of my campaign is based off soul eater Rose is a weapon similar to justin btw

the dimensional ward is an immediate action

she isnt currently immune to anything in particular but she has a fairly high natural armor rating so i guess weak to touch attacks

these realities are basically inside rose's mind

actually you guys gave me a really good idea i think for stage 3 i may have her spawn a second ship entangled in or made of thorny vines etc the water becomes blood red and she is teleported to the new ship leaving the party on the old ship and firing cannons at it while they have to think of a way onto the new ship to fight her

Edited by aldlv13

Ok. I would do something progression based. If you're currently at Ship at sea, ~Blank~ , Rose Garden, you may want to consider the transition from stage 2 to stage 3 to be having that ship crash on a shore, with a rose garden in the far distance, giving your players a clever foreshadowing for the meat of the fight - the final stage.

The shore can have that same red water, it could have a sort of desert rose feel with hidden plants under the sand. A dock or lighthouse is always a good fallback as a "point of power." The players could have to race up the lighthouse while being attacked by furniture, or potted rose plants as they climb.

My session is tonight, so I'm all brainstormy too.

Edited by Archistopheles