The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pull Up A Chair, Let's Talk Valkyr

(PSN)AishaCtarl

For Valkyr - redirection is more of a damage strength mod for Paralysis than a defensive mod.

If we are talking buffs or changes:

Ripline should get a change/buff so that distance pulled when using as a mobility tool is increased with range and speed of pull scales with power strength in regards to mobility use. (Description reads Valkyr pulls herself to hook's location ,but in reality she pulls herself towards the hook - not all the way to the hook if range has been increased with mods.)

Paralysis - maybe a base range buff or ability to hit through walls rather than line-of-sight. Could be made to be melee-OP mode if Finisher activation is changed to Block-plus-Attack combo and or remove finisher prompt from Paralysis. The stun/stagger duration is fixed, aside from enemy slow affecting recovery animation. (Would just grant 400% melee multiplier for the short stun/stagger but allow normal combos.)

WarCry - fine as is or change attack speed buff to Crit chance buff, allowing Red-melee Crits at max power strength

Hysteria- retain CC/Status immunity , but remove Invincibility. Allow attack speed buff based on kill count.

I get Valkyr AoE CC from a two power casts - Max Power Strength WarCry for the enemy slow and then cast Paralysis for the Stun/Stagger. Slows enemy - stagger stops attacks and stagger recovery is slowed by WarCry slow. Paralysis is super cheap to cast and the stun/stagger is independent of shield level. (Only Paralysis damage is Shield dependent. Raksa Protect or Sentinel's Guardian - synergize well with Paralysis Shield damage.) WarCry slow plus Blast or Electric stun works for some CC as well. (Like a poor man's Rhino stomp)

(If finisher activation is changed(would also assist Ash teleport) or Paralysis had finisher prompt removed- WarCry+Paralysis would be a melee friendly "Rhino Stomp")

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

I love valk and she is my main. Excal was my main b4 that. I do have 14 or so frames so I'm not without choice. (only missing trinity/hydroid/nova and idk)

Most frames rely on shield to live. HP doesn't regen. Valk has no shields. her ult I'd pretty weak. I run life strike build and rely on a almost maxed vit/steel fiber to keep her alive. Her ult is tactical and I rarely use her skills beyond that. She looks cool and I like her as she is. If anything her ult could stack her melee Wep stats/mods and she could use an HP boost since it doesn't regen like shields do and I shouldn't have to rely on ult.

sending from phone btw

Removing the invincibility from Hysteria would literally remove the point of her ult.

She can already reach ridiculous levels of DR through Warcry and Steel Fiber (I don't even use Steel Fiber on my builds)

She can easily get back life with Rage + Life Strike (I don't even need QT, I just equip the Key that lowers her shields so attacks get through to her health more).

So all the proposed "changes" would be redundant compared to what she's already capable of with the proper build.

For Valkyr - redirection is more of a damage strength mod for Paralysis than a defensive mod.

If we are talking buffs or changes:

Ripline should get a change/buff so that distance pulled when using as a mobility tool is increased with range and speed of pull scales with power strength in regards to mobility use. (Description reads Valkyr pulls herself to hook's location ,but in reality she pulls herself towards the hook - not all the way to the hook if range has been increased with mods.)

Paralysis - maybe a base range buff or ability to hit through walls rather than line-of-sight. Could be made to be melee-OP mode if Finisher activation is changed to Block-plus-Attack combo and or remove finisher prompt from Paralysis. The stun/stagger duration is fixed, aside from enemy slow affecting recovery animation. (Would just grant 400% melee multiplier for the short stun/stagger but allow normal combos.)

WarCry - fine as is or change attack speed buff to Crit chance buff, allowing Red-melee Crits at max power strength

Hysteria- retain CC/Status immunity , but remove Invincibility. Allow attack speed buff based on kill count.

I get Valkyr AoE CC from a two power casts - Max Power Strength WarCry for the enemy slow and then cast Paralysis for the Stun/Stagger. Slows enemy - stagger stops attacks and stagger recovery is slowed by WarCry slow. Paralysis is super cheap to cast and the stun/stagger is independent of shield level. (Only Paralysis damage is Shield dependent. Raksa Protect or Sentinel's Guardian - synergize well with Paralysis Shield damage.) WarCry slow plus Blast or Electric stun works for some CC as well. (Like a poor man's Rhino stomp)

(If finisher activation is changed(would also assist Ash teleport) or Paralysis had finisher prompt removed- WarCry+Paralysis would be a melee friendly "Rhino Stomp")

As cool as the crit change could be

Attack speed = status spam :x

Better scaling and utility

• 2 weeks later...

I find much more satisfaction going in, ripping enemies apart with my Sword, killing them in so many different fashions, different styles. In melee, every kill is an art. That is something that guns fail to achieve.

Off-topic but...

You have clearly never experienced the feeling of stacking 5 Penta Grenades at a door, just sitting there. Suddenly 30 Infested are at the door with no less than 5 Ancients, you hit the Zoom and they all die. That is Art... 

I can see where you are coming from though, even as poor a weapon as it is I had a ton of fun with a Nikana when I built it, get the right Stance mod and Melee is indeed an art :)

To be honest.. DE could pretty much remove 3 of her abilities (except Ripline) and I would barely even notice. That's my problem with Valkyr.

Warcry is too short and has long activation time. It feels like it's not worth the energy and even though I could sustain recasting it the whole mission... it's just too much of a hassle for a flat boring passive buff.

Paralysis... I think needs no comment at this point. It's a love or hate thing I guess. Hate for me, since I never have any shields at all (that's my optimal state).

Hysteria, panic button, revive bot. I dislike the animations anyway (the turning speed kills it imho), but even if I didn't it's a pretty boring ability. Too long, too boring. It's useful for reviving.. but let's be honest here, if that guy got himself cornered by 5 lvl 60 Corrupted Gunners.. doesn't he kinda deserve to die? That should be the punishement for lack of skill.. for lack of thinking and positioning. But no.. here's Valkyr to save the day, this applies to Valkyr herself when she's in trouble... no consequence... no danger... no tension... yaaaawn.

I main Valkyr, but that's entirely because of the combination of her stats + Rage + Life Strike and I also like her looks. I also use her as a scout to see how hard mission is and whether I can take frames I level there, since I know I won't die with Valkyr... ever. So even with those 3 abilities removed nothing would change for me.. well, I would die more, but that's okay because it means I screwed up.

I like Ripline, but funnily enough it's still ability more suited for sniper type character. It's pretty lackluster offensively, but great at getting to vantage points. I sincerely don't get how people find Hysteria fine... how is "lolnope" button fun? How? To be honest I'm seriously contemplating switching Hysteria for stamina mod, blocking is at least somewhat engaging.

I'm hoping for DE to implement common pool abilities.. so I can toss out her entire kit and take something more interesting.

Edited by LocoWithGun

To be honest.. DE could pretty much remove 3 of her abilities (except Ripline) and I would barely even notice. That's my problem with Valkyr.

Warcry is too short and has long activation time. It feels like it's not worth the energy and even though I could sustain recasting it the whole mission... it's just too much of a hassle for a flat boring passive buff.

Paralysis... I think needs no comment at this point. It's a love or hate thing I guess. Hate for me, since I never have any shields at all (that's my optimal state).

Hysteria, panic button, revive bot. I dislike the animations anyway (the turning speed kills it imho), but even if I didn't it's a pretty boring ability. Too long, too boring. It's useful for reviving.. but let's be honest here, if that guy got himself cornered by 5 lvl 60 Corrupted Gunners.. doesn't he kinda deserve to die? That should be the punishement for lack of skill.. for lack of thinking and positioning. But no.. here's Valkyr to save the day, this applies to Valkyr herself when she's in trouble... no consequence... no danger... no tension... yaaaawn.

I main Valkyr, but that's entirely because of the combination of her stats + Rage + Life Strike and I also like her looks. I also use her as a scout to see how hard mission is and whether I can take frames I level there, since I know I won't die with Valkyr... ever. So even with those 3 abilities removed nothing would change for me.. well, I would die more, but that's okay because it means I screwed up.

I like Ripline, but funnily enough it's still ability more suited for sniper type character. It's pretty lackluster offensively, but great at getting to vantage points. I sincerely don't get how people find Hysteria fine... how is "lolnope" button fun? How? To be honest I'm seriously contemplating switching Hysteria for stamina mod, blocking is at least somewhat engaging.

I'm hoping for DE to implement common pool abilities.. so I can toss out her entire kit and take something more interesting.

Narrow minded, blind rage

Fury

Berserker

Any weapon that has 5% crit chance or more

Tell me about boring when youve tried this

Rereading this thread and cant believe the replies that think QT is bad and Valkyr needs more armor

Is this where the hysteria fanclub is from ._.

Lvl 45 enemies are still a joke with QT tanking

It's not that people think QT is bad so much as it's utterly unecessary on Valkyr.  Plus it no longer works with Rage.  Honestly, QT takes a mod slot away from Valkyr you could do something else with.

It's not that people think QT is bad so much as it's utterly unecessary on Valkyr.  Plus it no longer works with Rage.  Honestly, QT takes a mod slot away from Valkyr you could do something else with.

What do you mean it doesn't work with Rage anymore? Does Rage not give energy anymore? Does QT not use energy as "hp" anymore?

Rage gives energy  when you take damage that fuels QTs extra layer of defense, which by the way is affected by armor, Then you life strike for more HP that gets turned into more energy for more QT and life strike

The extra effective HP from QT is massive

Rage gives energy  when you take damage that fuels QTs extra layer of defense, which by the way is affected by armor, Then you life strike for more HP that gets turned into more energy for more QT and life strike

The extra effective HP from QT is massive

You do realize they nerfed Rage so once QT kicks in at 2 HP Rage no longer gives you energy, right?  Because you were originally getting energy for damage you weren't actually taking since QT takes the damage out of your energy instead.  And you NEED that energy to channel for Life Strike.

Hence, the "nerf" (read: fix) to QT/Rage combo.  Besides, I don't even run Steel Fiber on Valkyr because more armor means less damage which means less energy from rage for Life Strike.

You do realize they nerfed Rage so once QT kicks in at 2 HP Rage no longer gives you energy, right?  Because you were originally getting energy for damage you weren't actually taking since QT takes the damage out of your energy instead.  And you NEED that energy to channel for Life Strike.

Hence, the "nerf" (read: fix) to QT/Rage combo.  Besides, I don't even run Steel Fiber on Valkyr because more armor means less damage which means less energy from rage for Life Strike.

Unless youre taking hundreds of energy at a time for life strike and not doing enough DPH to regain more heath than the energy your use your point is entirely invalid

Being in QT mode doesnt prevent you from lifestriking for more HP you know

Do you even know what youre talking about here?

From the more recent posts it appears people were using QuickThinkng+ Rage like a easy mode Hysteria and just standing in Harm's way, not even trying to regain health.....

Yes if you just stand there taking damage you will die as Quick Thinking is nothing more than an extension of your Health Bar. Basically without Flow Quick thinking adds 360 health if energy bar was filled before QT kicked in. With Flow and full 300 energy that is an additional 720health. Add 720 health to a maxed Vitality of 740 health and that is 1460 health being affected by Valkyr's Armor.

If you run Vigor and Steel fiber, normal health is 860+720 energy health for 1580 health being protected by 1260 armor. So 80% Damage reduction on 1580 health is an effective health of 8216. If you stand there not life-striking or picking up energy orbs/energy/life consumables.

Might just be a couple of us, but Quick Thinking+Flow practically doubles Valkyr's effective health. 8216 vs 4472, so yes Quick Thinking works and it works well. (Even without Flow you get an effective health of 6344 with just Quick thinking being added to a Steel Fiber/Vitality/Vigor build not taking Valkyr's paltry shields into consideration. (Even though Sentinel's Guardian or Raksa's Protect help extend effective hit points)

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

I think her ultimate should have her health multiplied and shields stripped, and have attacks with life steal (already do). 

of all the valkyr ideas, I actually like this one. this works, BUT, she would need her armour buffed up by this as well. probably brought up to 800 base while hysteria is active, 1600 w/ max SF.

also, who else thinks that warcry and hysteria need their durations swapped around? 30 seconds of invulnerability is too much, 15? not that bad.