Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Competitive Pvp In Warframe Is Objectively Terrible

Guest Tehnoobshow

Guest Tehnoobshow

Warframe is an exclusively Peer to Peer game. That means the following problems are innately present in the Dark Sectors:

1.Unpredictable lag. Considering that there are few people who play Dark Sectors as it is, one is forced to set their ping settings to the highest in order to just have a chance at a game. This means that the host could be half way across the world from all the other players, which means extreme amounts of lag.

2.Host advantage. As I said before, depending on the connection between the host and the other players, the host could be the only person in the game who isn't lagging like crazy. This means an almost unavoidable victory for the host if they run into this situation. Players shouldn't have to depend on getting a lucky host to see if they win a conflict.

3.Disconnecting as a game mechanic. Since the PvP matches are Peer to Peer, it means that a host migration will trigger if the host disconnects. Not only do Host Migrations fail 99% of the time, but whoever connects first will also get a huge advantage, because the other players will be afk and ripe for the killing.

This means that a host could disconnect just before they lose, in order to end the battle without conclusion. You might say that this could be solved by making the disconnector's team automatically lose, but it could similarly be abused by clans sending members fight for the other side to lose on purpose.

Being able to disconnect at will also means that the host could pre-arrange the disconnect with other players who have excellent internet speed in order for their team to gain an advantage by re-connecting first.

Players should not have this much power in their hands.

Please note that these problems are not present in the Conclaves, because there is no advantage to be gained by participating, and that matches are most often pre-arranged between clan members, However, once there is something to be gained from playing PvP, then all common courtesy goes away as people vie for profit.

Most console PvP shooters use player hosting. It's not "objectively terrible", it just needs some help to work properly.

For starters, lag compensation.

This is what I was thinking, most console shooters are peer 2 peer and they work just fine. Look at COD for instance. (They have gone overboard with the lag compensation tho.)

If DE decides to implement lag comp, I really hope they dont overdue it.

Guest Tehnoobshow

This is what I was thinking, most console shooters are peer 2 peer and they work just fine. Look at COD for instance. (They have gone overboard with the lag compensation tho.)

If DE decides to implement lag comp, I really hope they dont overdue it.

Yes, but console shooters don't allow some players to connect before others, I think. And also, console games have far more reliable host migrations than Warframe, not to mention that they have much better matchmaking, so that players can join soon after.

Yes, but console shooters don't allow some players to connect before others, I think. And also, console games have far more reliable host migrations than Warframe, not to mention that they have much better matchmaking, so that players can join soon after.

Only console shooter I can think of that does this is COD. And even there its dependent on your connection to the host. Cod is also a finished product, so comparison isnt really fair. 

Once WF can get network and host migrations to work better, this wouldnt be such an issue.