Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Alerts Without Special Rewards Are Boring.

Noabettiet

Alright, from the title, you must have figured out what this all about: ALERT MISSIONS.

From my perspective  i see that alerts were made to also bring somewhat an element of "surprise"/ diversity to the game we all love and play , warframe.

The thing is that, alerts shine most or in other words, are most great when they give special rewards, other than credits.

But in my opinion, this shouldn't be it and it should CHANGE. (and you should skip to the bold area if you don't feel like reading this next * )

So here is somewhat of an observation on diversity in warframe and opinions about warframe:

After just playing for a while in warframe, you just come to conclude how repetitive it gets and how monotony takes over quick. This is not particularly something i think the game designers overlooked, but rather that they CONSTANTLY try to fix.

Be it, frozen stages or even the latest stalker add to the game, you can't say that missions are always the same. But the thing is, they still feel the same, even after we got open-world kind of maps, it still feels like i am in that dungeon like star-ship with all those aluminium soldiers and fancy water guns. And i think, AIZEOL was pretty good in explaining what we really need. 

Here : https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/29556-you-say-you-want-difficulty-but-you-really-want-depth

*here

Alright, but this not what i am here to talk about, i am here to talk about what should be done to make alerts less boring.

To start off, Alerts SHOULDN'T ever be like normal missions, in which, in once in a while reward us. I can do that by myself just FINE, by randomly selecting a mission and planet with my eyes closed.

What they should be is, if not obvious enough, different/ unique, something that evokes really an feel of an emergency., an true alert.

An different map that you can never see in an normal mission or maybe not, an "mission" with unpredictable outcome ,

with more than one objective in which requires thought (or not) in completing. 

It can even be an boss battle (mind that they should be unique bosses to not clash with the existent story line bosses in other missions, also it adds an element of surprise) or inverse raid in which we (the tenno) are being invaded. 

Or who knows, it can be an dynamic event or just plain item recover, in which requires us to pass a bunch of obstacles to recover some files from an ship in ruins (with no enemies just traps).

The past updates were great, but we really need monotony to end and just switching weapons/warframes just doesn't do it.

So i hope for this to taken into account and we finally get experience a better warframe!

I'm a strong advocate of infuriating platforming / maze / puzzle missions. Like Soul Reaver. The environment is your enemy! Rogue AI keeps trying to jettison you from airlocks! Rogue AI has booby-trapped lockers! Surgery turrets activate and commence dissection! Ship's gravity simulator malfunctions and you have to use ninja acrobatics to make your way to extraction! Water containers rupture and parts of the ship are submerged! A lift to get to extraction turns out to be a very long journey during which you are repeatedly attacked!

I just wish alert missions were actually what is described in their text.

You can read this flavor text "Palus (Pluto): Elite Troop Located - 30m - 2000cr" and assume it's just an exterminate mission.

Or this one - "Metis (Jupiter): Weapons Researcher Located - 30m - 4200cr" which I assume is an assassination or capture mission.

But what if these missions could be just as interesting as they sound?  What if this "elite troop" was an actual squad of mini bosses?  They'd spawn in the boss room.  Instead of fighting a boss, you'd be fighting a group of Bombards, heavy gunners, napalmers, all in one spot.  That would make for an interesting fight, yeah?

Now what about this weapons researcher?  Assassination or capture targets always take place in their own specific room.  For this weapons reasearcher, why not make a new room for any of the tilesets that has what looks to be a reasearch facility with workbenches and what not.  The researcher would probably be in a lab surrounded by guards, instead of just a corpus crewman hanging out, doing nothing.

I propose a new extraction method:  Grabbing the target and throwing him over your shoulder.  This would be similar to picking up a datapad and using your pistol only, except you can't sprint.  It would require some new animation work, but I think it's more believable than vaporizing someone and absorbing his essense.

Now what about this one? "Jengu (Sedna): Deactivate Turrets - 44m - 1600cr"  Is this a sabotage mission?  I assume it's the one where you plant a datapad in the ship's navigation system or whatever.  What if there were actually 4 cores located on the ship or station that you had to seek out and destroy?  Maybe after destroying each one, there would be a cutscene showing the outside of the ship and an explosion where that turret is.  Once you get all 4 destroyed and get to the exit a bonus cutscene plays after your extraction ship is flying away, that shows another ship swooping in and destroying the one you just disabled.

I hope devs actually plan on making more diverse mission objectives like these an actual reality and not just flavor text.

Edited by akkerusia

+1 bajillion

Alerts provide the framework for truly engaging play and I know DE has said they are just a first draft, so hopefully we'll see what you're talking about implemented.

Thanks a bunch, i provided a few suggestions, but they were rather fast thoughts/ideas, if anyone has ideas, don't hesitate to share. 

+1 Alerts are little more than normal missions that give mildly better rewards.

Yeah, the thing is that they are too close to normal missions and don't feel like alerts at all, specially when they give nothing but credits. 

Thanks guys for the support!

I agree with the OP. I almost never do Alerts because there's no real reward for it (expect for a select few.)

Also @OP: I don't mean to sound like a grammar nazi but "an" is only used before a word starting with a vowel, or it's just "a". I don't like correcting people on their grammar but your spelling was confusing me @_@  

Edited by SomethingCrazy

I agree with the OP. I almost never do Alerts because there's no real reward for it (expect for a select few.)

Also @OP: I don't mean to sound like a grammar nazi but "an" is only used before a word starting with a vowel, or it's just "a". I don't like correcting people on their grammar but your spelling was confusing me @_@  

It has been a problem i have for a good while LOL .. And i am very aware of it, but mostly don't know when to use it. +1 Dude. Thank you so much.

Also, i am aware that credit rewards are increased during alerts, would be great if experience gained would be too.

Edited by akkerusia

Agreed. Alerts are dull and boring right now. Nothing interesting other than bug jokes like Tyl Regor's name on Jackal.

Or hardcore toxic ancient assassination. He is such an annoying encounter that they have been marked for assassination after leading Tenno to insanity after countless of encounters.

He is so dull that even the Stalker will not care for his death.

Edited by akkerusia

Currently I ignore alerts.

I can usually get just as much cash or more from good ol tolstaj.

These should first off have ? rewards always or cash that can rival tolstaj.

After that they should always feature a special effect like multiple factions or a timed extraction.

I was wondering if it might be possible to start out on a starship then sabotage it making it land on a planet then switching to open area tiles.

You can now have between 2-10 k credits in alert missions. Doesnt matter if there is not a ?

Indeed, i am very aware of that, but still doesn't make up for it. :/

Not always the money offered reaches that high(actuality i never heard of 10k credit rewards lol) and when it reaches at least 2k, it is overlooked as well (majority here, not everyone).

Still, even if they did give large amount of rewards, i would feet dull afterwards right? It would become grinding and I think we already got too much grinding already.

Warframe has really the ability to handle an very intense gameplay and it might be it.

Alerts should give like twice as much money as normal missions. Right now I believe they are somewhere around 1100~3000 credits. Whilst the higher spectrum is well appreciated the lower one is worse than some regular missions.

I agree that alert missions should entice the player further to complete them. Be it through rewards or unique gameplay.

I usually play alerts regardless of compensation because they feel special and they seem to draw a fair number of players in. I would, however, love it if these alerts had something unique to them such as tilesets, enemies, modes, mechanics (6-player alerts?) or challenges (melee/sidearm only?). Just something to help break from the usual missions.

Alerts should give like twice as much money as normal missions. Right now I believe they are somewhere around 1100~3000 credits. Whilst the higher spectrum is well appreciated the lower one is worse than some regular missions.

I agree that alert missions should entice the player further to complete them. Be it through rewards or unique gameplay.

YES. You sir, appear to get my point, at least part of it.

Those non-bp alerts could also introduce instanced missions, like boss rush or other special events.

Or maybe rewards small amounts of mastery levels so that people at least have some incentive to do them.

Inb4(in before) Giant roller boss alert mission in which we have to run away from him or we die.

Also, thanks for the support guys, hopefully we will be heard or given a thumbs up from them in the future.

Edited by akkerusia

I just wish alert missions were actually what is described in their text.

You can read this flavor text "Palus (Pluto): Elite Troop Located - 30m - 2000cr" and assume it's just an exterminate mission.

Or this one - "Metis (Jupiter): Weapons Researcher Located - 30m - 4200cr" which I assume is an assassination or capture mission.

But what if these missions could be just as interesting as they sound?  What if this "elite troop" was an actual squad of mini bosses?  They'd spawn in the boss room.  Instead of fighting a boss, you'd be fighting a group of Bombards, heavy gunners, napalmers, all in one spot.  That would make for an interesting fight, yeah?

Now what about this weapons researcher?  Assassination or capture targets always take place in their own specific room.  For this weapons reasearcher, why not make a new room for any of the tilesets that has what looks to be a reasearch facility with workbenches and what not.  The researcher would probably be in a lab surrounded by guards, instead of just a corpus crewman hanging out, doing nothing.

I propose a new extraction method:  Grabbing the target and throwing him over your shoulder.  This would be similar to picking up a datapad and using your pistol only, except you can't sprint.  It would require some new animation work, but I think it's more believable than vaporizing someone and absorbing his essense.

Now what about this one? "Jengu (Sedna): Deactivate Turrets - 44m - 1600cr"  Is this a sabotage mission?  I assume it's the one where you plant a datapad in the ship's navigation system or whatever.  What if there were actually 4 cores located on the ship or station that you had to seek out and destroy?  Maybe after destroying each one, there would be a cutscene showing the outside of the ship and an explosion where that turret is.  Once you get all 4 destroyed and get to the exit a bonus cutscene plays after your extraction ship is flying away, that shows another ship swooping in and destroying the one you just disabled.

I hope devs actually plan on making more diverse mission objectives like these an actual reality and not just flavor text.

Inb4(in before) Giant roller boss alert mission in which we have to run away from him or we die.

Also, thanks for the support guys, hopefully we will be heard or given a thumbs up from them in the future.

All tenno would be wearing Indiana Jones hats for just that mission.