Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weather For Planetside Missions.

Lukap99

With the recent excavation event, and the upcoming swimming levels, planetside missions have been getting a lot of deserved attention.

This has made these types of missions way more fun than your typical corridor shooter in a Grineer galleon, specifically because of the wider spaces and incredible view.

So why not expand even further with a weather system of sorts? Now instead of starting earth and getting day/night we get day/night with raining/wind/thunderstorms/ etcetera, etcetera.

I give each weather phenomena certain stats along with "+" and "-". The more of each symbol the more prominent the effect is.

Sometimes a phenomena can range being an annoyance to a severe handicap. When that happens I'll use "/" to separate what it can be.

Some phenomena can combine. Ensuring that the weather will be different most of the time.

Most phenomena can appear over time, but things like flood I think are better to be applied on the start of a mission.

STATS:
Visibility (Lower visibility means you're harder to spot, but so is your enemy.)
Noise (The louder the phenomena, the harder it is to hear bullets)

Movement (It's hard to move around when the winds are strong.)

Temperature (+ means it's harder to keep your stamina up, while - takes a toll on your shields)

EARTH

Rain:

Visibility

Noise

Downpour:

-- Visibility

++ Noise

Light wind:
Tropical rainforests don't usually have any strong winds.

*rustles the leaves on trees. Purely an aesthetic effect.

*effects the angle of the raindrops.

Flood:
- / -- / --- Movement

Swimming :D

Lightning:

+++ Noise

Hard to hear bullets when thunder is roaring.
Can only appear is "cloudy skies" is in affect.

Cloudy skies:

-- Visibility
"-" if day, and "--" if night.

PHOBOS

Dust devil
--- Movement

Small tornadoes that occasionally blow across open fields.

Strong winds

-- Movement

CHANGELIST

- Topic posted

*NEW*
- Edited title from "Day/Night cycle and weather for planetside missions" to "Weather for planetside missions"

- Edited introductory OP.

- Added Phobos section. Dust devils and Strong winds.

Edited by Lukap99

We have a day/night cycle for earth (and I believe other planets, but I'm not 100%).

I actually mean a day/night cycle in real time. Let's say you start off at dusk and it slowly shifts to night. And if you sit there for like 10-20 minutes the sun will start to rise.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I actually mean a day/night cycle in real time. Let's say you start off at dusk and it slowly shifts to night. And if you sit there for like 10-20 minutes the sun will start to rise.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I know from experience how hard that is to implement especially with lighting and such if the engine doesn't have innate support for it (pre-computed).

However set settings for planet like Earth would be nice as well as Sunrise and Sundusk for the last 20-30 minutes of cooldown to signify that time is actually changing would be great :)