The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Allow Us To Spend Mod Points For Stats

Sixty5

Hello all, just writing up an idea I have been milling over for awhile now that I rather like.

Put simply, in a lot of buils you'll end up with leftover points, wasted points.

The idea I had was to allow players to spend these points to improve the same aspects that mods would.

After thinking on it I came up with a set of rules for it.

-Points purchase stats at a reduced rate, either at 1/3 the rank of the standard mod, or 5%, whichever is lower.

-Excess points cannot be used to extend a skill beyond what is otherwise obtainable.

-Only aspects already present can be added to, Ie, you cant use them to add fire damage to a weapon without equipping a fire mod first.

So why do this?

Well it actually solves a number of problems in the game.

Firstly a new player without mods can use points to directly improve their gear. Mods are by far the better way to do this, but giving a new player a bit of extra damage early on should help to smooth things out a bit.

Secondly, it means a player without an arcane helmet can achieve the same stats as a player with them. The helmet still acts as an advantage, but it isn't a nessesity.

Third, mod slots have always been an issue, allowing excess points to be used will effectively increase the number of slots you have, but still retains the need to make a choice present currently.

Fourth, it encourages the use of more forma, meaning that players who are happy with their 5 Forma weapons can go back and level them more for a slight extra edge, the limit to stats also means that the extra capacity does not all equate to power.

I would also like to point out here that this system does not outweigh mods at all. The reduced efficiency of raw points and the effects of forma mean that at no point is it worthwile to replace a mod with leftover points.

Anyways lemme know what you think, and I apologise for any errors (typing on my phone)

I might even draw up a graphic when I get home.

Sounds cool, allowing for further customization.

Focus sounds like it is 'active' advancement after you have leveled, which is all well and good, but a compliment such as this 'passive' advancement would turn away mod reliance a bit while creating opportunities for further unlimited customization; with the inclusion of build reliance/practicality, I feel it is a great idea overall.

Edit: That's a doozy of a sentence, huh?

-Points purchase stats at a reduced rate, either at 1/3 the rank of the standard mod, or 5%, whichever is lower.

-Excess points cannot be used to extend a skill beyond what is otherwise obtainable.

-Only aspects already present can be added to, Ie, you cant use them to add fire damage to a weapon without equipping a fire mod first.

I like the core concept (and inherent limitations) but would love to see some #s

Sounds cool, allowing for further customization.

Focus sounds like it is 'active' advancement after you have leveled, which is all well and good, but a compliment such as this 'passive' advancement would turn away mod reliance a bit while creating opportunities for further unlimited customization; with the inclusion of build reliance/practicality, I feel it is a great idea overall.

Edit: That's a doozy of a sentence, huh?

Indeed. The thing that got me thinking about this was the fact tgat if I want to get that last 5% efficiency on my Banshee I need to run streamline.

Thats a whole mod slot for 5%, I'd much rather spend 3 leftover mod points and run fortitude

And that got me thinking about how I'd love to get a little bit extra reload speed on my Tigris or Latron Prime, but not at the cost of a mod.

I like the core concept (and inherent limitations) but would love to see some #s

Ok i was thinking the lower of 1/3 of per eank bonus or +5%

This is based on the normal mod that buffs that stat, Ie, serration, redirection or streamline.

That means that on a rifle one mod point would give you +5% damage

On a warframe one point would give you +1.66% power strength (this would be rounded down on practice, so youd actually get 1% for one, 3% for 2 and 5% for 3)

That would be my basic guide, but other mods, I'd say even 50% of the original per rank value would be fine.

First off I want to say that I like this idea for my forma'd stuff to be super OP. I have all the mods in the game and pretty much everything mastered and am going back to re-forma a bunch of stuff and for the warframes and weapons that I run very specific builds on, I would really like to over forma and super buff them.

Question though, isn't the core goal of this the same as what the cracked mods are supposed to be for? They are more readily available (supposed to be guaranteed) to new players and more cost efficient at low level. I'm just think as far as selling it to the devs goes. I think a better pitch may to not do it for new players, but to add a new dynamic for advanced players until focus is actually implemented.

http://goo.gl/aSxB0g

So this mock up would give me 13 extra points I could put into stats

3reload

5Puncture

5Punch-through(unless it's stuck to only stats shown in non modded version, then I go to 10 puncture)

You wouldn't be able to put the three into reload speed, since you already have it maxed out (unless there is a mod I am forgetting)

The other thing is though, you should be able to put them into accuracy/spread to reduce it slightly as well.

You wouldn't be able to put the three into reload speed, since you already have it maxed out (unless there is a mod I am forgetting)

The other thing is though, you should be able to put them into accuracy/spread to reduce it slightly as well.

Well that might make stuff like HC counter-able if we can add points to accuracy.

So if 1 point = 5% more damage on serration (or with warframe's power strength etc) then a lot of the weapons will be looking OP with this weapons that currently don't need forma will have like what? 150%+ damage? I like the idea though but its going cost a ton of forma.

Probably didnt explain that right, what I propose means that you can't extend stats past their normal max point, so +330% base damage on rifles would be as high as you could go, likewise you couldn't stack more than 150% fire damage on a melee weapon.

Weapons would be more powerful, but not by much.

First off I want to say that I like this idea for my forma'd stuff to be super OP. I have all the mods in the game and pretty much everything mastered and am going back to re-forma a bunch of stuff and for the warframes and weapons that I run very specific builds on, I would really like to over forma and super buff them.

Question though, isn't the core goal of this the same as what the cracked mods are supposed to be for? They are more readily available (supposed to be guaranteed) to new players and more cost efficient at low level. I'm just think as far as selling it to the devs goes. I think a better pitch may to not do it for new players, but to add a new dynamic for advanced players until focus is actually implemented.

The idea isn't really focused on any one aspect, mostly I had it, liked it, and realised that it wpuld help players at all stages of the game.

Additionally it solves some of the mod slot and arcane helmet problems, so why not?

Best used on melee, because pressure point isn't a 10 rank mod and therefore there's a lot of excess points available.

As said before, stats would not be buffable beyond their current limits, so melee would still only go to +220% base damage.

Though you could use said points to offset the negative attack speed on the corrupted mod.

I don't like forma, but I might change my mind.

I certainly won't put myself through anything more than 3 or 4, but it's definitely a motivational boost.

I'm of the same opinion, but that little extra degree of min maxing would probably add a bit more diversity to loadouts

I don't think Unspent mod points should be able to buff mods directly. Unspent mod points should by default be distributed to frame stats. The player should be able to focus on specific things by hand-tuning. 

Each unspent mod point would affect one base stat:

+1% health

+1% shield

+1% energy

+1% stamina

+1% speed

+1% power efficiency

+1% power range

+1% power duration 

+1% power strength

The 'auto' would give 1% for each attribute until the  player runs out of mod points. Alternatively the player would be able to dump it all on a single attribute. 

Edited by BrazilianJoe

Thank you very much for your feedback, I shall take the points that you have raised here to heart and modify the OP to include them.

What's to elucidate on?  I wouldn't be in favor of this idea no-way, no-how.  In short: "OH HEEEEELLL NOO."

But since you asked so nicely:

This is an idea in search of an exploit.  All it would accomplish is, nessecarilly and by-definition, one of the following:

A. buff every player equally, making everything slightly easier to kill at end-game, or

B. say we adjust the enemy levels to match: every new player is now at more of a disadvantage, making the game disproportionately harder on the people who need that the least.

It's a zero-sum-game.  Either you're nerfing newbies (which would be bad for DE, as well), or you're buffing late-gamers (who don't need it and aren't asking for it.)

TL;DR: oh HEEEEEELL no! D:<