Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros Needs Some Love

The_Traitor_Executioner

I know Excalibur is the hot topic right now, but I feel it's important to keep in mind that Nekros still needs some love quite badly.  His third ability is still the only truly useful one.  Hopefully we'll see a rework for him after Excalibur has been fixed.  It's a shame that his abilities are so uninspired, since visually he's the coolest of the frames in my opinion.

I know Excalibur is the hot topic right now, but I feel it's important to keep in mind that Nekros still needs some love quite badly.  His third ability is still the only truly useful one.  Hopefully we'll see a rework for him after Excalibur has been fixed.  It's a shame that his abilities are so uninspired, since visually he's the coolest of the frames in my opinion.

His shadows are good, but often derped down if you build for desecration. With his shadows they scale to your enemies level and when your 50 minutes in on t4 survival who better to call? *ghostbusters* 

His Punch i only use when i'm above a group and they have some sort of threat, and his terrify is yet another power that is neglected if you're built for desecrate. Experimenting with them will provide better results. But his soul punch should be changed to a spiritual skull (which changes color based on energy color) and this skull explodes on contact with objects. If it hits the enemy directly it should stun them and deal DoT. His Spirits should gain health/damage based on a % of bodies you've desecrated/terrified within the past 2 minutes (effected by duration). and his desecrate should make the bodies he desecrates explode upon successful desecration. BOOM BUFF

While I certainly agree that some of his abilities come off as a bit lackluster, I'd rather them turn the polls over to Banshee when Excalibur is finished since she's been in need of a rework before Nekros was even released.

IDK about that. I have been using Banshee lately, and she seems to be a highly under-appreciated frame. Sonic Boom is a great panic button and is great for clearing hallways on your way to an objective, or to revive an ally

Sound Quake offers good CC with a bit of damage to boot.

Sonar gives a good damage bump on regular enemies

I wouldn't call his abilities "uninspired", just "not very useful".

Soul Punch - Potentially good damage, but it's a close-ranged ability and the positions needed for it make it rarely able to be used properly at all.

Terrify - Useful for when you need to rush into a group and revive somebody else.  Not useful otherwise as it's not as much "crowd control" as it is "Crowd runaroundohgodwhereiseverybody", scattering the enemies and making them harder to kill because they keep running around, opposed to other CC abilities that make enemies easier to kill.

Desecrate - Useful.

Shadows of The Dead - Potentially useful, but has three major downsides.  The first is that the cast time is horrible, dying while casting it is not rare.  The second is that the enemy AI is bleh, not too strong or useful, only as useful as uncontrolled decoys (which is bad for an ult).  The third issue is that if you build for Desecrate you will often run Fleeting Expertise (due to Nekros having terrible power numbers and Desecrate not being #1), which means that your shadows barely last 3 seconds after the casting animation is done.

I wouldn't call his abilities "uninspired", just "not very useful".

Soul Punch - Potentially good damage, but it's a close-ranged ability and the positions needed for it make it rarely able to be used properly at all.

Terrify - Useful for when you need to rush into a group and revive somebody else.  Not useful otherwise as it's not as much "crowd control" as it is "Crowd runaroundohgodwhereiseverybody", scattering the enemies and making them harder to kill because they keep running around, opposed to other CC abilities that make enemies easier to kill.

Desecrate - Useful.

Shadows of The Dead - Potentially useful, but has three major downsides.  The first is that the cast time is horrible, dying while casting it is not rare.  The second is that the enemy AI is bleh, not too strong or useful, only as useful as uncontrolled decoys (which is bad for an ult).  The third issue is that if you build for Desecrate you will often run Fleeting Expertise (due to Nekros having terrible power numbers and Desecrate not being #1), which means that your shadows barely last 3 seconds after the casting animation is done.

Natural talent fixes the casting animation, aside from that, you have a solid point

IDK about that. I have been using Banshee lately, and she seems to be a highly under-appreciated frame. Sonic Boom is a great panic button and is great for clearing hallways on your way to an objective, or to revive an ally

Sound Quake offers good CC with a bit of damage to boot.

Sonar gives a good damage bump on regular enemies

Ah, maybe my issue is in the way I used her abilities. I've tried Sonic Boom and while the knockdown is nice, compared to other cost cheap abilities which have a chance to kill, proc, or get the revival target out of a danger zone, I felt the small bit of knockdown time that usually ends with them still shooting me by the end of the revive timer (unless other allies are reviving as well) tends to detract.

Sound Quake I tended to have a problem where the lack of mobility for the power led to enemies out of range able to still pepper me while I was stuck in animation.

Sonar is good. It's the only ability I really like since it has practical application in all difficulties of the game from my experience.

Silence might be good, but as of now has little use except for the most determined of stealth players.

Nekros is fine as a farmer character, but what he needs is another purpose. Many frames have separate builds that use different abilities and different augmentations of them. Nekros lacks this; he needs another way to build him. To get that started, his abilities need to be more appealing to mod for.

While I certainly agree that some of his abilities come off as a bit lackluster, I'd rather them turn the polls over to Banshee when Excalibur is finished since she's been in need of a rework before Nekros was even released.

Banshee has had several buffs and reworks in the past few months - Silence now shuts down enemy awareness, Sound Quake is toggled and had a change to AI reaction.

Nekros has received only hotfixes for (as of last Saturday) a year.

Edited by Archwizard