Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible Fix For Valkyr's Hysteria?

Rakshal

my idea would be as simple as make hysteria more mobile giving life steal but no invincibility and make generated (hysteria powers) such as leap and dash. The armour and such is such a big deal from before and with a maxed out sentinel sanctuary this will also not making valkyr so over powered afterall.

Main thing i really love about the character is just warcry. Warcry works as a buff/debuff on enemies. not only will it increase your armour but decrease enemies movements becouse of shock paralyzing.

This will also be a great asset and that hysteria you could have like a drain of energy ulti (second idea) 

Here's an idea: Passive health drain. Valkyr's still invincible and gets health from enemies, but must continue damaging enemies to prevent loss of health (maybe other things like reviving players could also stop the drain or add health). If her health is at or above her max health when it ends she stays at her max. Otherwise she gets whatever health is left. I'm torn as to whether she should be able to die during the ability or if her health should stop draining at 1 or 5 health.

not invincibility.... but still lifesteal and leaps combo and dash

Not having some sort of invincibility ability for Valkyr seems kinda wrong to me. She's a berserker. And the way I see it, berserkers are an unstoppable force while enraged. She looks at her enemies and laughs at their feeble attempts to bring her down. Take that away and you take away what made her special.

If you really want to add more disadvantages to Hysteria then make it so that Valkyr still takes damage while in it, but never drops below 1-5% her max health. Or maybe make Hysteria a toggled ability that drains energy every second that she is in it. Or just add a cooldown on its activation to make it an emergency button rather then permanent invulnerability. Maybe even a combination of those suggestions, just don't get rid of the invulnerability.

the point is interact with her experience and add a annother combo with leap nor dash to keep up with no longer invincibility but making her survivalist to really make the players rip their hairs off than sitting chilled. with lifesteal ofcourse.

You bring up a good point by mentioning Age of Empires.

Balance belongs in a game like Age of Empires and Starcraft.

It is simply not needed in Warframe.

You also said, "The game is easy enough as it is even without terribly OP abilities."

This is also a great point.

This game is about killing enemies in a spectacular fasion.

Players should be able to choose whatever method they want. If they want to do it in god-mode? We should let them.

This game allows you to "trivialise 90% the games content". I've never seen so much freedom given in an online only game.

The more I play this game, the more I realize that the Digital Extreme deveopers understand the definition of fun.

This isn't Goat Simulator. Balance Is just a important in WF as it is in Age of empires or most other games for that matter.

The fact is, you can kill enemies in a spectacular fashion and feel like a god without cheap tricks. All of these things are possible. Invulnerability in this context is not only unnecessary but arguably a boring mechanic to base an ability around.

There are so many more effective and interesting ways to achieve the berserker feel that suits val and keep the ability powerful. One such way would be the DR increase as health goes down method I suggested. Many other valid alternatives have been suggested by others as well.

No risk, high reward is not a good way to build game mechanics. 

I understand that what is fun for others is not fun for some but heres my issue: WF is not a game that falls into the category of "Break the game and disregard content". Like I said, this isn't goat simulator or Wii sports where balance etc doesn't really come into it.

I enjoy breaking games and messing around with god-mode as much as the next guy, but only in games where it fits.

WF is no such game IMO. 

Yes there are some times when a player is supposed to feel like a god, but we have that already without questionable mechanics.

There is a way to appease players of either mindset here.

Its not even just about Hysteria being OP, its about it being boring to use. Like some other abilities that should be addressed as well its literally a "press 4 and go make a sandwich button". 

In fact, I've done that before while running a max duration Hysteria in a team game (what? I was starving, shut up). 

THATS HOW BAD THINGS ARE. YOU CAN LITERALLY GO TO THE TOILET AND MAKE A SANDWICH WITH LITTLE REGARD OF THE CONSEQUENCES. SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT ABOUT THAT.

I normally wouldn't make a habit of going AFK during a game even if its only for a few seconds, as thats leeching. But the fact Hysteria enabled me to do that is all the proof one needs that its a mindless and cheap trick.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

valkyr lacks ranged damage abilities,cc and aoe, making her extremely bad in defense and survival missions, which balances out her massive single target abilities. 

i do agree to remove the invisibility and add in armor buff, but 100% is obviously not enough, i would think about 150%, late game enemies are really hard to stay alive in melee mode.

the life steal is good dont touch it

also warcry's duration is too short, i need to use it twice during one hysteria.

im not too worried about hysteria 's targeting, heard of the auto target option?

Whoa wait

WRONG

In survival Valkyr is one of the games queens easily

She can output damage that trumps even the boltor when enemies get strong enough to matter

For defense shes bad on certain maps that require alot of travel time

But when there are choke point such as the ones often seen on pluto and void she becomes one of the games devils quickly

Able to single handedly hold off any amount of enemies infinitely

Wave by wave she strikes them down

Though defense is her weakest area it depends mostly on the map

Valkyr's Hysteria is why I have so much respect for Digital Extremes.

If Warframe was developed by Activision Bilzzard, Hysteria would have nerfed to the ground in a matter of days.

Unfortunately, their developer team's fetishistic obsession with balance taints the fun of every game they touch.

Unlike Blizzard,  Digital Extreme gives the player the freedom to do whatever they want.

Not only you can be invincible, they gave the player a choice to extend the duration of the power at will.

Fun should always triumph balance in a game, because thats what games are for.

Please allow me to leave you with this.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/07/balance-is-boring-says-torchlight-2-and-original-diablo-designer/

"Essentially Schaefer is saying that these “imbalance spikes” are an important part of what makes loot-centric RPGs so exciting. As long as they’re temporary, there’s nothing wrong with the player feeling super-powerful for a period of time."

The issue comes when you add 7 million players and only the ones playing valkyr are that powerful

You could buff every frame to that level but itd trivialize the game and make it absolutely boring

If you want to kill games keep believing in that but youre not going anywhere with that philosophy

That is why Digital Exterme is so great.

They give you enough tools to completely break the game. This is something to be celebrated in today's gaming culture.

Let them abuse it all they want. That is ok.

You don't have to abuse it if you wish, but we should always leave them the choice as long as it doesn't harm other players.

This is not something great in any sense of the word

If someone else is breezing through the game by abusing a game mehcanic where i have to struggle because of frame choice then there is a problem

Yes, exactly! you can choose to be invulneralbe or choose not to be invulnerable :)

It is all up to you, you get to decide whatever you want.

To have the option is gratifying on so many levels.

The choice is more like cheat the game or cheat yourself

This is no way to balance an MMO

Your arguments have been entirely opinion so far and hold absolutely no ground

You bring up a good point by mentioning Age of Empires.

Balance belongs in a game like Age of Empires and Starcraft.

It is simply not needed in Warframe.

You also said, "The game is easy enough as it is even without terribly OP abilities."

This is also a great point.

This game is about killing enemies in a spectacular fasion.

Players should be able to choose whatever method they want. If they want to do it in god-mode? We should let them.

This game allows you to "trivialise 90% the games content". I've never seen so much freedom given in an online only game.

The more I play this game, the more I realize that the Digital Extreme deveopers understand the definition of fun.

Again more opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up

Why doesnt balance belong in warframe? Just because? Do you need to be absolutely invincible to be "killing enemies in a spectacular fasion"

Why is it that the only way you can have fun , which by the way is another entirely opinion based subjective argument with no backbone, is to trivialize the game?

Present a respectable argument for once

Whoa wait

WRONG

In survival Valkyr is one of the games queens easily

She can output damage that trumps even the boltor when enemies get strong enough to matter

For defense shes bad on certain maps that require alot of travel time

But when there are choke point such as the ones often seen on pluto and void she becomes one of the games devils quickly

Able to single handedly hold off any amount of enemies infinitely

Wave by wave she strikes them down

Though defense is her weakest area it depends mostly on the map

The issue comes when you add 7 million players and only the ones playing valkyr are that powerful

You could buff every frame to that level but itd trivialize the game and make it absolutely boring

If you want to kill games keep believing in that but youre not going anywhere with that philosophy

This is not something great in any sense of the word

If someone else is breezing through the game by abusing a game mehcanic where i have to struggle because of frame choice then there is a problem

The choice is more like cheat the game or cheat yourself

This is no way to balance an MMO

Your arguments have been entirely opinion so far and hold absolutely no ground

Again more opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up

Why doesnt balance belong in warframe? Just because? Do you need to be absolutely invincible to be "killing enemies in a spectacular fasion"

Why is it that the only way you can have fun , which by the way is another entirely opinion based subjective argument with no backbone, is to trivialize the game?

Present a respectable argument for once

I understand what you are trying to do, but the discussion I was having with the other player was in a rather gray area.

We were talking about abstract subjects such as fun and bordom.

Due to the nature of the conversation, all of my posts are entirely opinions, but you are already know that. Mentioning "in my opinion" would be simply redundant.

Again, we are in a gray area.

You sound like a veteran. Someone who has dedicated many hours into this game.

I assume veterans already know most if not all of what Warframe has to offer.

Since you have done it all, seen it all, you know there are issues in the game that needs fixing.

All I am asking is that you take your eyes off of your microscope for just 1 minute and look around, see how much fun other players are having when they are new.

I think they deserve the same opportunity to experience what you experienced. The same excitement and ultimate thrill the Tenno power can offer before we nerf it to oblivion.

Edited by Dseaver

All I am asking is that you take your eyes off of your microscope for just 1 minute and look around, see how much fun other players are having when they are new.

I think they deserve the same opportunity to experience what you experienced. The same excitement and ultimate thrill the Tenno power can offer before we nerf it to oblivion.

Let me just address this: Being a vet has little to do with it in this case. We aren't talking about the new player experience here. There are plenty of new players (I've encountered them before) that agree that Invulnerability is a bad game mechanic in general and that hysteria is unnecessarily OP.

Its not about "nerfing things into oblivion", its about stopping one ability from outclassing most other abilities and rewarding lazy playstyles while punishing those that either don't have val to begin with or don't want to breeze through content with the push of a button. 

Once again as I've mentioned previously: WE can already feel like demi-gods without cheap mechanics. We do not need them to achieve the "same excitement and ultimate thrill the Tenno power can offer".

Invulnerability is entirely unnecessary. There has to be some sort of risk involved. Something close to invulnerability (Like dynamic DR etc) makes for much more exciting gameplay and keeps hysteria in the spirit of the berserker theme. 

I'm honestly just starting to repeat myself here.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Let me just address this: Being a vet has little to do with it in this case. We aren't talking about the new player experience here. There are plenty of new players (I've encountered them before) that agree that Invulnerability is a bad game mechanic in general and that hysteria is unnecessarily OP.

Its not about "nerfing things into oblivion", its about stopping one ability from outclassing most other abilities and rewarding lazy playstyles while punishing those that either don't have val to begin with or don't want to breeze through content with the push of a button. 

Once again as I've mentioned previously: WE can already feel like demi-gods without cheap mechanics. We do not need them to achieve the "same excitement and ultimate thrill the Tenno power can offer".

Invulnerability is entirely unnecessary. There has to be some sort of risk involved. Something close to invulnerability (Like dynamic DR etc) makes for much more exciting gameplay and keeps hysteria in the spirit of the berserker theme. 

I'm honestly just starting to repeat myself here.

There has to be some sort of risk involved. <--- And I'm asking you to give people choice in this matter.

If they want 0 risk, We should let them. My point is give them a choice to do that, which we have. Right now, thankfully.

Edited by Dseaver

There has to be some sort of risk involved. <--- And I'm asking you to give people choice in this matter.

If they want 0 risk, We should let them. My point is give them a choice to do that, which we have. Right now, thankfully.

But there is no choice. Its either use hysteria or don't. Which is a prime example of false choice.

That is not ok. It essentially alienates a huge portion of the playerbase from an ability and as a result Valkyr.

It trivialises the game and hurts people for their choice in frame.

My previous point stands. 

"Once again as I've mentioned previously: WE can already feel like demi-gods without cheap mechanics. We do not need them to achieve the "same excitement and ultimate thrill the Tenno power can offer"."

This statement is important. I've said it multiple times in many different ways and it seems like you are disregarding the relevance it holds.

There is a way demi-god, (almost) no risk gameplay can be achieved without invulnerability. We already have it regardless of invulnerability. It doesn't bring anything of value to the table, as players can do just fine using other frames and arguably better then val in many situations without god-mode.

Not only does it not actually add value to the game it is not even needed on any level to achieve anything.

Its redundant and harms gameplay.

The fact that many players that main Val feel Hysterias invulnerability is unnecessary says a lot about the situation.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

But there is no choice. Its either use hysteria or don't.

So, this is saying,

It's either use god-mode or don't.

That is the beauty of this game right now.

"It trivialises the game and hurts people for their choice in frame."

People should be able to derive to this conclusion on their own.

I am in no position to tell people how to play this game.

They would have to decide this for themselves. We can surely give people great advice like your post above.

But we need to let the individual make the decision, regardless of the outcome.

I understand what you are trying to do, but the discussion I was having with the other player was in a rather gray area.

We were talking about abstract subjects such as fun and bordom.

Due to the nature of the conversation, all of my posts are entirely opinions, but you are already know that. Mentioning "in my opinion" would be simply redundant.

Again, we are in a gray area.

You sound like a veteran. Someone who has dedicated many hours into this game.

I assume veterans already know most if not all of what Warframe has to offer.

Since you have done it all, seen it all, you know there are issues in the game that needs fixing.

My eyes arent in a microscope though yours seem to be

I never got to experience hysteria as anything more than broken and having new players expreince it the way youre saying means itll never end

Thats a poor argument to make

And no this thread and the forums arent just about opinions

Hysteria is broken and should change

I can spend hours explaining if you like but that opinion only argument style you have has to go

Defend it the right way or you just wont be valid

My eyes arent in a microscope though yours seem to be

I never got to experience hysteria as anything more than broken and having new players expreince it the way youre saying means itll never end

Thats a poor argument to make

And no this thread and the forums arent just about opinions

Hysteria is broken and should change

I can spend hours explaining if you like but that opinion only argument style you have has to go

Defend it the right way or you just wont be valid

"Hysteria is broken and should change"

If you have some kind of offical poll or vote of the community, I think that would tell us immediately.

Because without it,

is just another opinion I'm afraid.

Edited by Dseaver

So, this is saying,

It's either use god-mode or don't.

That is the beauty of this game right now.

"It trivialises the game and hurts people for their choice in frame."

People should be able to derive to this conclusion on their own.

I am in no position to tell people how to play this game.

They would have to decide this for themselves. We can surely give people great advice like your post above.

But we need to let the individual make the decision, regardless of the outcome.

Changing a broken mechanic is not telling people how to play the game. Its fixing a broken mechanic.

Thats all there is too it.

By your logic Trins blessing should never have been changed because people can choose to abuse it or choose not too. Which is not a valid point because most people will abuse it (unless your a dirty hipster like me) which directly effects other players (more so in the case of old trin then val) and it essentially alienates anyone that wants to use trin, but not god-mode, from the ability.

Hek, I honestly don't care how people as long as it doesn't effect other people. I'll let someone bring ash and a flux rifle to T4 where many people would reject them. As long as they know what they are doing and can contribute then fine by me.

At this stage I feel like you are disregarding and not addressing any of the points I made. I understand some aspects of this discussion are opinion based but you don't seem to be backing up your opinions with some sort of valid or solid reasoning or arguments.

As harsh as it sounds, if this discussion is too continue then you need to provide me with some sort of basis or points to argue. At this point we're going around in circles and it seems no matter how many key points I highlight they are either ignored (not saying its intentional mind you) or countered with a repetition of the same opinion without a solid argument to back it up.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

If you have some kind of offical poll or vote of the community, I think that would tell us immediately.

Because without it,

There have been polls in the past. It doesn't give us much of an idea though because most of the WF playerbase doesn't even use the forums.

So a poll is very limited in what it can tell us.

To be honest, invulnerability trivialize the game too much, i can survive all i want in survival solo mode just with hysteria/rage/quick thinking/flow and steel fiber.

I would hate a damage reduction based on your health percentage in a similar way as trinity but a damage reduction based on each hit on your health seems great and maybe a small speed buff the more damage you take, it even fits more the frame theme than that invulnerability, the more she gets hurt, more enraged she becomes therefore more tolerance to damage and more aggresive with that speed buff.

Also maybe a cap of 90% damage reduction to avoid 100% invulnerability, that would justify duration mods too to get the max damage reduction, maybe a raise of 5-10% damage reduction for each hit? also Hysteria needs a rework on Dark Sector PvP, 4 seconds of invulnerability for 100 power is just terrible.

All I see is a few people who don't understand that they can play slow Volt and do better than using Valkyr for the Warcry slow effect.

I think it's funny that they don't realize that this game has options.  If they don't want to use Hysteria, then don't equip the mod.  It's as simple as that.  Someone keeps comparing Hysteria to the broken Trinity ability.  They are apples to onions in true comparison.  They are not even remotely comparable.

I've been in groups with Trinity using Blessing.  It was stupidly easy to stay alive because you gained more life than incoming damage.  Last I checked, Hysteria didn't make the rest of the teammates invulnerable.  Outside of exterminate/capture (survival need not be mentioned) missions where NFS rules thrive, I've never seen a group of 3+ Valkyrs do all that well.  Succeed, yes, but that had to do with the skill of the player overcoming the weakness of the frame.

All I see is a few people who don't understand that they can play slow Volt and do better than using Valkyr for the Warcry slow effect.

I can play excal and do better then a Val spamming hysteria, so what relevance does that have to spammable Invulnerability with no consequence being a bad and boring mechanic?

Hysteria has the potential to be an interesting and engaging power yet as it is now its a "press 4 and forget button".

I think it's funny that they don't realize that this game has options.  If they don't want to use Hysteria, then don't equip the mod.  It's as simple as that.  Someone keeps comparing Hysteria to the broken Trinity ability.  They are apples to onions in true comparison.  They are not even remotely comparable.

I'm very aware the game has options and I fully explore that fact. Except in some cases, like Hysteria, its a case of false choice. 

"if you don't like it, don't use it" Is not a valid argument. It alienates an entire portion of the playerbase from a power and by proxy, from that frame.

Being given the option to use Val but disregard her 4th entirely on the grounds of it being cheap is not really freedom. The point is people do want to use hysteria.

They want to have fun using hysteria, they want to be engaged while using it and not feel compelled to check their emails while its active. Thats the whole point. As it is now there is no choice if you aren't a fan of cheap tricks. If it was changed but still powerful and effective without the invulnerability, but something close, everyone would still get a use out of it regardless of which side of the argument you sit on.

On the topic of old blessing: as I mentioned before,  old blessing was worse then hysteria is now because it provided the bonus to every one, but the two abilities are closer to comparing an orange and a mandarin. Ones bigger and tastes a bit better, the other is smaller and not quite as good. But at the end of the day they are essentially the same thing. The only difference between hysteria and old blessing is that hysteria is just a one man show, has a slower means to heal and forced melee (which is hardly even an issue).

Extended forms invulnerability are always comparable.

No, I don't think you do understand.  This game is about having options.  Hysteria is only as strong as the player who chooses to use it, makes it.  There are many other frame abilities that go unused because they are not very good.  For the Valkyr frame, paralyze is by and large never used.

If you want to suggest changes for Valkyr, start there.  Stop trying to fix what is not broken.  It ends as well as the story of "The boy who cried wolf!" did.  Badly.

No, I don't think you do understand.  This game is about having options.  Hysteria is only as strong as the player who chooses to use it, makes it.  There are many other frame abilities that go unused because they are not very good.  For the Valkyr frame, paralyze is by and large never used.

If you want to suggest changes for Valkyr, start there.  Stop trying to fix what is not broken.  It ends as well as the story of "The boy who cried wolf!" did.  Badly.

If I don't understand then by all means, address my points with counter arguments and explain your POV.

False choice is not choice.

As far as weaker abilities go thats neither here nor there because we're talking about hysteria. 

Should paralysis be buffed? sure. I totally agree. But we aren't talking about paralysis. Ergo its irrelevant to the discussion.

Just because another ability (blessing) being arguably more OP and broken then something else (Hysteria) doesn't change the fact a broken ability is still broken. 

Theres not much I can work with if my points of discussion are ignored or not addressed. As it stands now all you have given me to work with is vague repetitions of your opinion (which is still valid) but with little to no reasoning behind it or anything substantial to back it up.

If I don't understand then by all means, address my points with counter arguments and explain your POV.

False choice is not choice.

As far as weaker abilities go thats neither here nor there because we're talking about hysteria. 

Should paralysis be buffed? sure. I totally agree. But we aren't talking about paralysis. Ergo its irrelevant to the discussion.

Just because another ability (blessing) being arguably more OP and broken then something else (Hysteria) doesn't change the fact a broken ability is still broken. 

Theres not much I can work with if my points of discussion are ignored or not addressed. As it stands now all you have given me to work with is vague repetitions of your opinion (which is still valid) but with little to no reasoning behind it or anything substantial to back it up.

No, no, your points are not ignored, you mentioned that powers that are just outright ridiculous such as Hysteria needs a little tweaking. If DE actually implements something that improves the overall gameplay of Hysteria, then I am actaully with you on this.

The reason I've been playing an extreme devil's advocate is just that it's hard to draw the line between:

"You should not be able to play this way, because I find it boring!"

Vs.

"This mechanic is completely broken, and detrimental to the gameplay."

If we had a concrete evidence stating that the overwhelming majority of the player base wishes Invulnerablity removed; then, something should be done.

Edited by Dseaver

Because without it,

Ive already said more than enough times why mechanics like this cannot exist fairly in an MMO

Go check a few hysteria threads (including this one) and read up

Changing a broken mechanic is not telling people how to play the game. Its fixing a broken mechanic.

Thats all there is too it.

By your logic Trins blessing should never have been changed because people can choose to abuse it or choose not too. Which is not a valid point because most people will abuse it (unless your a dirty hipster like me) which directly effects other players (more so in the case of old trin then val) and it essentially alienates anyone that wants to use trin, but not god-mode, from the ability.

Hek, I honestly don't care how people as long as it doesn't effect other people. I'll let someone bring ash and a flux rifle to T4 where many people would reject them. As long as they know what they are doing and can contribute then fine by me.

At this stage I feel like you are disregarding and not addressing any of the points I made. I understand some aspects of this discussion are opinion based but you don't seem to be backing up your opinions with some sort of valid or solid reasoning or arguments.

As harsh as it sounds, if this discussion is too continue then you need to provide me with some sort of basis or points to argue. At this point we're going around in circles and it seems no matter how many key points I highlight they are either ignored (not saying its intentional mind you) or countered with a repetition of the same opinion without a solid argument to back it up.

You

+1

I've been in groups with Trinity using Blessing.  It was stupidly easy to stay alive because you gained more life than incoming damage.  Last I checked, Hysteria didn't make the rest of the teammates invulnerable.  Outside of exterminate/capture (survival need not be mentioned) missions where NFS rules thrive, I've never seen a group of 3+ Valkyrs do all that well.  Succeed, yes, but that had to do with the skill of the player overcoming the weakness of the frame.

I main Valkyr

Her ult sucks

Id like for it to not suck

Buff it

Remove the invi because its unfair to anyone that isnt using valkyr

She trivializes far too much content

If you think her 3 is bad then you dont know valkyr at all

Hysteria is her only skill that needs major work

For an ult its underwhelming in the extreme and still cheap and unfair to other players

Many Valkyr mains want this to be changed

No, no, your points are not ignored, you mentioned that powers that are just outright ridiculous such as Hysteria needs a little tweaking. If DE actually implements something that improves the overall gameplay of Hysteria, then I am actaully with you on this.

The reason I've been playing an extreme devil's advocate is just that it's hard to draw the line between:

"You should not be able to play this way, because I find it boring!"

Vs.

"This mechanic is completely broken, and detrimental to the gameplay."

If we had a concrete evidence stating that the overwhelming majority of the player base wishes Invulnerablity removed; then, something should be done.

If the overwhelming majority of the game wanted trinity blessing back it still wouldnt happen for more than obvious reasons

Thats not an argument to make

Many Valkyr mains want this to be changed

If the overwhelming majority of the game wanted trinity blessing back it still wouldnt happen for more than obvious reasons

It really is too bad we don't have the exact numbers for these.

But, if you yell loud enough, and continue to ask the developer team, I'm sure they will listen to you.

It really is too bad we don't have the exact numbers for these.

But, if you yell loud enough, and continue to ask the developer team, I'm sure they will listen to you.

If you act rudely enough and disguise it under a nice guy act people are still going to catch on to you

Ho about you reply to my post rather than spark the beginning of a flame war